• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
I don't think that people who see "Revolution" will say "Oh, this isn't for me. It's for gamers only." They're going to know the Wii is a videogame console. Now depending on what group of non-gamers they're trying to reach, the name "Wii" will work differently. The word "Revolution" sounds impressive to an older crowd (ie those who understand what the word means), and Wii (as said many times before) could put off some others. I'm buying the console pretty much no matter what, so the name doesn't really matter to me. I find the move kind of ridiculous, but it's Nintendo's decision. I can see some logic behind it, but I prefer the name Revolution much more.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
But how much revenue does Nintendo stand to earn trying to convince non-gamers to buy the system? How many old guys are actually going to buy it so they can go pretend fishing, and how many girls will want to do some bug-swatting fun (remote video)? Doesn't Nintendo stand to earn more money by keeping their current customers and by steeling some profits from Sony and Microsoft? I know it sounds stupid but: the "Wii" sounds almost "kiddy" to me - and the gamecube already had that reputation. To the average gamer that isn't sitting around discussing it in a forum, doesn't this name only further the assumption that Nintendo is appealing to younger gamers? How can this be a good thing?

xianfeng

Smash Hero
So with the name Wii Nintendo is trying to get rid of gamers and attract non-gamers?

(by the way I could use grammer and what not I'm an A grade student in English but I can't be bothered because I don't know you people so why bother)

BILLY AGE 8

Smash Cadet
forblaze71 said:
It won't appeal to YOU. So you and your friends don't like it, eh? When were you discussing this; in the bath? Other people will still find appeal in it, even if it does have a ridiculous name. Google isn't going spectacularly because it's called Google. It's going spectacularly because it's capable of finding thousands upon thousands upon thousands of websites loosely based on the same subject in less than a second. People will still find the Wii's sleek looks and intriguing controller appealing, and, if we're all lucky, they'll find having Spore on it appealing.

ok, google is a search engine that is no better than the rest. ITS THE NAME.
Another example The iPod, is it the best, no, but people hear about it the most and think of it when someone says mp3 player.

Besides when say it is the name that sells, i say that because its the name that attracts people to a product. Example, if some new company was to come out with something, then nintendo comes out with the same exact thing. Which company will sell better, NINTENDO, because its a bigger name.

And i did i ever say i conversed with my friends about the wii. Well i didnt, most of my friends dont play videogames, but the one of them that does, likes the idea. And besides, the people i did talk to about it were just people i see, or just fellow gamers. and most of them hated the idea.

and the whole gay joke, "in the bath tub", real original

BILLY AGE 8

Smash Cadet
Doggalina said:
You do realize that the name is the NINTENDO Wii, right? According to you, changing the name from "Revolution" to "Wii" shouldn't make a difference because (remember, this is according to you) as long as "Nintendo" is attached the system will sell.

as for you, i was under the impression that they are advertising it as The Wii, not the nintendo wii.

BILLY AGE 8

Smash Cadet
germ said:
billy they are all right. the company will still be called nintendo. but the new system will just be called wii. yes the name is absolutely ridiculous but if your name was "princess persephone" i would still be your friend. what im trying to say is, its just a name, who cares. and plus, you havent even tried playing it yet so dont knock it till you tried it.
dude germ you may be my friend, but they are advertising the system The Wii, not the Nintendo Wii, yes it will be a nintendo brand product but they wont really advertise it as that. or so i have been told

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
BILLY AGE 8 said:
ok, google is a search engine that is no better than the rest. ITS THE NAME.
Another example The iPod, is it the best, no, but people hear about it the most and think of it when someone says mp3 player.

Besides when say it is the name that sells, i say that because its the name that attracts people to a product. Example, if some new company was to come out with something, then nintendo comes out with the same exact thing. Which company will sell better, NINTENDO, because its a bigger name.

And i did i ever say i conversed with my friends about the wii. Well i didnt, most of my friends dont play videogames, but the one of them that does, likes the idea. And besides, the people i did talk to about it were just people i see, or just fellow gamers. and most of them hated the idea.

and the whole gay joke, "in the bath tub", real original
There is no chance Google is in the same league as every other search engine. It has a simple and nice looking user interface, it retrieves the most sites and it offers scores of other services. That's why Google gets so many users and that's why google is such a big name.

iPod's are just a gorgeous product. Can you look at an iPod and say it's ugly? I don't imagine so. People like sexy things. The iPod is about as sexy a product can get. Not to mention the amount of data that can be stored on it. You know what else makes the iPod sell well? It's incredible advertisements. Up until my purchasing of one, I couldn't watch an ad without saying "I really want an iPod." If Nintendo make the console look anywhere near as good as an iPod, the name won't matter. As soon as they here the word "Wii" the fantastic product that Nintendo made will come to mind, not the sound the word makes when you say it.

Also, just because it's not called the "Nintendo Wii" doesn't mean they're not going to make it known that they made it. They'll put the brand name somewhere in their ads. Of course, this is all by your logic that the name is absolutely everything. I just thought I'd mention this incase you decided to keep being totally illogical.

On a final note, the bathtub thing wasn't a gay joke. It was a kid joke. The reason why you didn't get it is because you're a kid.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
BILLY AGE 8 said:
your going to have to go into more detail, by depth what do you mean exactly?
Billy-
First off, don't quintuple (?)(5x) post. It makes you look like an uber noob. Use the "edit" button!
Here's an image, use it to guide you to the edit button. I'm actually editing right now. Isn't it wonderful?

Second, depth is forward and backwards. Pushing and pulling the controller.

BloodyMarth

Smash Journeyman
south part of texas-North mexico (brownsville-mata
Mic_128 said:
Indeed. The trend of naming games after the console it's on went out with the N64.
Actually it went on after the Super Famicon.

Examples?....super mario world, super metroid, Super mario kart, Super Adventure island, Super Bomber man, Super Castelvania IV, Super DOuble Dragon, Super Punch Out ans Super Mario RPG just to mention a few.

IMO the name console "wii" was at first kind of dissapointing but I remember back in the old days when we would want to play videogames.

I remember telling my friends; "hey!! do you want a play nintendo?". That was when I owned the original Nes.

After that I decided to buy a Sega Genesis. Which had more "graphics" than the super famicon. Fortunately one of my friends owned the super nintendo. " hey bro! wanna play super nintendo". That's how everybody would call a video game system back then. I was so fortunate to play the Attari, which one of my uncles owned. I remember which game was it. A Taz game.

As you can see. no such things as "let's play Nes" or "let's play super ness". Life wasn't that complicated in the old days.

Things changed after the nintedo 64, I was amazed with the graphics. I would play at my friend house everysingle day. until he moved. My luck!! it was christmas eve and I ask for a N64 as a gift. (which included the Dk package!!)

After several years of playing Perfect Dark, Legend of Zelda, Mario Kart and other games, almost all my life was fullfilled. But then something happened. The GameCube was announced. The name sounded kind of lame at first but when I saw the SSBM graphics I was speechless. The gay name was completely fogotten and replace with the memories of watching a link making a sword plant on Marios' guts. Those were good days. And still are.

And I fear that today I do have the a worst feeling than when the gamecube name was announced. But i know when i watch an even better pixeled link staving Marios's heart i will forget that name again. Like always.

BloodyMarth....."wii?."

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
xianfeng said:
So with the name Wii Nintendo is trying to get rid of gamers and attract non-gamers?
No. They already know their established fan base is going to buy the system, no matter what it's called. They're trying to attract people that AREN'T already in their established fan base.

Billy, as already mentioned, don't post that many times in a row. It's pretty annoying.

BILLY AGE 8 said:
The thing is Wii, DOESNT appeal to non-gamers!!
And of course, you've done a study on the subject.

The fact of the matter is that most nongamers don't even know what the Wii is right now. They'd never heard of the Revolution, and they still haven't heard of the Wii.

BloodyMarth said:
Actually it went on after the Super Famicon.
When someone says that a trend "went out" with something, they mean that that's when it ended. They STOPPED naming games after systems after the 64 (or DS). The Super Nintendo came before the 64.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Billy Age 8 made a quintuple post!!! I dont even know what to call it besides quintuple! I'm so shocked! Five posts in a row! AAArgh!:crazy:
So anyways, I told my PS3 friends about the new name and their reaction wasn't that bad. There were no potty jokes or anything. Either they didn't hear me right or maybe they were just too mature for those things. Noone liked the name and thought it sounded stupid but they at least didn't make any bathroom jokes about it. Maybe our reaction to the name was more severe because we all love Nintendo. For those who dont, maybe they just dont care as much as we do.
AAAArgh! Quintuple posts of death!:crazy::skull::crazy:

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
commonyoshi said:
Billy Age 8 made a quintuple post!!! I dont even know what to call it besides quintuple! I'm so shocked! Five posts in a row! AAArgh!:crazy:

AAAArgh! Quintuple posts of death!:crazy::skull::crazy:
It's happened before, and it'll happen again.

BILLY AGE 8

Smash Cadet
forblaze71 said:
iPod's are just a gorgeous product. Can you look at an iPod and say it's ugly? I don't imagine so. People like sexy things. The iPod is about as sexy a product can get. Not to mention the amount of data that can be stored on it. You know what else makes the iPod sell well? It's incredible advertisements. Up until my purchasing of one, I couldn't watch an ad without saying "I really want an iPod." If Nintendo make the console look anywhere near as good as an iPod, the name won't matter. As soon as they here the word "Wii" the fantastic product that Nintendo made will come to mind, not the sound the word makes when you say it.

Also, just because it's not called the "Nintendo Wii" doesn't mean they're not going to make it known that they made it. They'll put the brand name somewhere in their ads. Of course, this is all by your logic that the name is absolutely everything. I just thought I'd mention this incase you decided to keep being totally illogical.

Oh i know that nintendo will put their company name somewhere in the commercials, i mean not putting it in will just be crazy. But its the fact that they are purposely trying to make it less noticable by not putting it before the wii part. I never said it was the name that is absolutely everything. if you would like to know, i think that the whole moving the remote will take away from the gameplay value, The name sucks and turns off a lot of potential customers, but it is the name that ATTRACTS the customers, thus causing them to look farther into it, and find out exactly what the product is, so you could say it is the name that sells. Thats why i looked into "Nintendo revolution", because the name not only sounded great, but it was nintendo brand, i am a fan of nintendo, i think you all are forgetting this. but i do not like them the best anymore as i did long ago. But when i looked into the system, i found out about the whole remote thing and didnt like the idea of it. It was the name that attracted me to look farther into it. But it was the whole setup of the system that caused me to dislike it. I didnt think that swinging around a remote sounded too fun. I didnt think that using a remote sounded fun, and i still dont think it sounds that fun. call me illogical all you want, it completly makes sense to me. and my opinion is what counts to me, i do respect all your opinoins, and this whole thing started with me sharing an opinoin. And i know all of you will not be converted to my opinion, i never expected that, and i will not be converted to your opinion, so dont expect me to change.

Oh and the iPod. Sexy eh, yes the design is nice, but there are better mp3 players out their, for less, and higher quality. iPods also have a lot of flaws, and have to be replaced, i admit that i have an iPod. But i got one before all the hype, only because my best friend kept raving on about how awesome they are. And he is a die hard Apple Fan, so thats why. And i admit that i have a video iPod now, but only because my regular one broke like two months out of the warranty date. I was satisfied with the product but its still not the best. And yes they do have good advertisements, only because apple was already a big company. I wasnt ripping on iPod, although i do dispise apple. iPods are the best product apple has come out with in forever.

germ

Smash Cadet
and billy.... in the wiis defense.... maybe it wont be such a bad system.... i mean have you played it? do you have any proof that its going to totally suck ***? if you have hard evidence that supports your nintendo wii sucking so badly i would love to see it.

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
The "problem" you just thought up is the same thing that could happen with any wireless controller. Granted the Revmote is smaller than the other controllers, but most people are smart enough to either put it away in the right place or remember where they had it last. And if not, they can always look around the room, just like looking in the cushions of your couch if you lose your TV remote.

EDIT: Also, (SEE I'M USING THE EDIT BUTTON TO ADD MORE INFORMATION) stop double posting. Use the edit button.

BILLY AGE 8

Smash Cadet
as for the depth thing

first of all i already knew about the edit button, i didnt use it because each of those posts had different subjects to different people so i felt that i would make seperate ones, just trying to respond seperately.

and for depth, yes you can use anaolog sticks for depth if thats what you mean. I said use buttons for acceleration and break, because thats what you would use for an airplain game or a racing game, but as for maybe a first person shooter, it would be set up so you use the analog stick for going foraward and backward, besides not all those functions will always be used, so usually you wont need all of that.

germ said:
and billy.... in the wiis defense.... maybe it wont be such a bad system.... i mean have you played it? do you have any proof that its going to totally suck ***? if you have hard evidence that supports your nintendo wii sucking so badly i would love to see it.
for this, Do you have hard evidence that its going to rock?? this whole thing i am doing is expressing my thought and opinion, not the truth, because opinion is not truth, yeah many people will like it and many will hate, but you really cant predict the future. I know for a fact that i dont like the idea of having to move around the controller, i, throughout my life have never had to move the controller and i dont think i should now, and i know, I dont have to buy the system if i dont like it" but i am entitled to my opinion right.

(there you go i used the edit button) i dont really care when other people dont use it. but just to make you happy i did

Osco316 said:
The "problem" you just thought up is the same thing that could happen with any wireless controller. Granted the Revmote is smaller than the other controllers, but most people are smart enough to either put it away in the right place or remember where they had it last. And if not, they can always look around the room, just like looking in the cushions of your couch if you lose your TV remote.
by the way, the picture was a joke, i did it because of its remote like qualities. i know that any wireless controller can get lost, but isnt it the remote that people always lose?

i also did it in about a minute, i didnt feel like drawing anywhere else they would look. i didnt think it deserved my time.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
BILLY AGE 8 said:
first of all i already knew about the edit button, i didnt use it because each of those posts had different subjects to different people so i felt that i would make seperate ones, just trying to respond seperately.
A new subject doesn't deserve a new post. Use the damn edit feature.

germ

Smash Cadet
BILLY AGE 8 said:
I know for a fact that i dont like the idea of having to move around the controller, i, throughout my life have never had to move the controller and i dont think i should now.
well I know for a fact that one of your favorite games is ddr so dont give me that not moving crap!

BILLY AGE 8

Smash Cadet
maybe i will stop using it just to piss you off, because you all are already pissed off at me because of everything i said. so maybe a little more wont hurt

germ

Smash Cadet
BILLY AGE 8 said:
maybe i will stop using it just to piss you off, because you all are already pissed off at me because of everything i said. so maybe a little more wont hurt
dude they are going to bann you..... you better watch it

Chill

Red
BRoomer
commonyoshi said:
Noone liked the name and thought it sounded stupid but they at least didn't make any bathroom jokes about it. Maybe our reaction to the name was more severe because we all obsess about Nintendo. For those who dont, maybe they just dont care as much as we do.
I think you might be right. I didn't even make the "wee" connection until sombody else brought it up.

rounder_nk

Smash Ace
the name just adds to the fun. Whether you're poking fun or having fun.

it also is good marketing seeing as it appeals to the younger crowd as well as giving the adolescent one something to laugh at.

germ

Smash Cadet
k i think that thats enough about the name i think everyone has made their point that the name doesent matter. i could be wrong so correct me if i am but i think that the name doesent matter. they could call it the reatarded machine and i think people may still buy it. wait no i lied probably people wont buy it..... maybe the name does matter.... either way im sick of hearing about the name.

papayasown

Smash Journeyman
That's E3. Nintendo has sent out e-mails informing everyone that Tuesday would be the day that they would disclose additional Wii info. It's Christmas in May!

Top Bottom