• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The point being made is that sales for the most popular game are very miniscule on the Wii U. Even if it's 2 million...still very small.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I understand where you're coming from. But when some of these 3rd parties always produce gimped versions on Nintendo's consoles even long before Wii U and people know about it, I don't see how they can expect their products to sell well. Sniper Elite V2 was missing an online mode and several other features. Their excuse was that they wanted focus on making the best looking version of the game, but c'mon now. Beauty is only skin deep and there isn't a that much of a leap between 360/PS3 vs Wii U (and I also don't see the astonishing leap between current and next gen anyhow).

As for Nintendo's online infrastructure, I have to say it's superior to their Nintendo Wi Fi Connection. Nintendo Network has a solid framework and I myself have been satisfied well enough with it between Wii U (with Sonic All stars Racing, Trine 2) and 3DS. According to Rich from ReviewTech, he's had a more stable and solid experience playing Black Ops 2 on Wii U than he did on PS3.

With what WB Games are saying, I mean can somewhat understand, but at the same time, give people a good reason to go out and get your games. 3rd parties have been leaving out Wii U versions of games and not talking much about them. They don't show that much care and it really discourages potential buyers to get their product.

Of course, I blame Nintendo for not promoting the Wii U and having their games at the ready. They've been working on this console since 2008. I wonder why they weren't developing games alongside the Wii U to make sure their big hits are ready for launch. I can understand having other projects for their current consoles at the time and the "emergency" situation with 3DS but that just means they need to hire more people and build more teams. I think they opened up a new studio a year or two ago and built a new team (that actually worked on NSMB2 on 3DS)... And that's it really.

I'm hoping Nintendo gets it together with Wii U and I sure hope 3rd parties at least stop gimping their games on Nintendo's platforms. If keep doing that, then best sell that game $10-$20 cheaper than the other versions.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Imagine playing New Super Mario Bros with a buddy in another state. I know Nintendo likes to stress it's more about the local experience, but something really stinks. I truly am starting to wonder if they just can't get a working universal online system up. First or third party games. If Nintendo had a strong or perhaps even DECENT online structure, than maybe a company like WB wouldn't mind developing MP for the WiiU version as well.
For Mario, they used online input delay and lag as an excuse. Which is understandable, but it really should've been put in. Some people are close enough or have good internet, and if the lag really is that bad, then they don't have to use it. :ohwell:

And I really hope a universal online system gets set up soon. I'm pretty annoyed with how it currently is. Putting in cash for 3DS eshop and then hearing Earthbound suddenly being released that week, I had to add more funds since I can't use my 3DS funds for the Wii U. And they really need to apply some sort of cross buy. I get so much out of my PSP/PS3/Vita just because of that, and it encourages me to buy more. As of right now, Nintendo's putting me off on buying some of them.
there isn't a that much of a leap between 360/PS3 vs Wii U (and I also don't see the astonishing leap between current and next gen anyhow).
The leap is pretty decent if you're looking at the right games. MGSV, Deep Down, FF XV, Killzone, and the new Infamous look miles than what we have now. And I'm not just talking about polygon count. Things will look even better in the future. Compare Sony's latest output on PS3 compared to its first year and you'll see. First year for 360, some games looked like Xbox games.
Of course, I blame Nintendo for not promoting the Wii U and having their games at the ready. They've been working on this console since 2008. I wonder why they weren't developing games alongside the Wii U to make sure their big hits are ready for launch. I can understand having other projects for their current consoles at the time and the "emergency" situation with 3DS but that just means they need to hire more people and build more teams. I think they opened up a new studio a year or two ago and built a new team (that actually worked on NSMB2 on 3DS)... And that's it really.
Apparently Nintendo underestimated how difficult it is to develop HD games (their words not mine). Your suggestion is pretty much what everyone else thinks, and it's something Nintendo really needed to do 4-5 years ago, so I agree. Now without 3rd party support, they're left to support 2 of their hardware by themselves. The 3DS is doing fine now finally because of software sales at least.

Nintendo made a ton of bad decisions for the Wii U. I feel like they're going to have to just ride this gen out until they find that special game to make things click for everyone (I don't think this will happen since the Wii U doesn't offer anything new gameplay-wise for the casual audience). I think things will kinda stabilize, but it won't be super successful.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I've noticed that both Best Buy & GameStop have Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition for the price of $20. Should I go for this? The only 3D fighter I've really played is GameCube's SoulCalibur II and I love that game to heck.

So should I?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
This is how I see it. I'll give my own personal take and an example to follow.

If I'm a game developer, and it's obvious that the "money" is towards PS3 and 360, I would need some incentive to make a version for a third console that doesn't has a big community, and their previous console was known for their crappy network and inferior graphics. Hey Nintendo, maybe I didn't support you, because I had no incentive too. You gotta show me something, anything for me to help you guys out. I would have to put additional resources in already to give you guys some tablet features. I don't know how your network is coded, so that's a new experience. If I know my sales forecast isn't going to be huge, even if Nintendo wants me to be the "pioneer" of third parties...I need some incentive.

Look at it this way. I have a Windows Phone. They only have about 4% of the Smart Phone marketshare. When WP 8 came out, a lot of apps were still missing such as facebook, twitter, yelp, while others had not been updated like LinkedIn or Weather Channel. To this day, there is still no Instagram or Youtube. However, MS has managed to get these other apps on board. When you read articles saying MS is "working" on getting these apps...that essentially means negotiating with these companies. Also known as, throwing money at them.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
That's the thing that shocked me most now that I'm not like 13 and watching a new gen come out-- Nintendo is super first party, I just never realized how much. At the least they are really pushing indie though

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Alphie is so adorable. I'm on day 24. I'm noticing days go a bit faster than the last games. I'm liking how it blends the best of the first game and second. In terms of difficulty, I think it is harder than Pikmin 2 but still easier than the first.

Basically, its right in the middle.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93

ndayday

BRoomer
Pikmin 3 = Best
I'm not sure what I expected out of this game but it's really good, I'm enjoying it a lot.
Only on like day 4 but missions just kept me up all night...still didn't get platinum. Tomorrow!

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Going to midnight launch with my brother to get Splinter Cell Blacklist. Anyone interested in this game? Love the Spies vs Mercs mode. Looks real fun.

Would be nice to have Smashboards Wii U people come together to play :3

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Never got into the Splinter Cell series. I enjoyed MGS, but it felt like Splinter Cell took stealth to the extreme for me.

Metacritic currently has Wonderful 101 at a 79. Lol at this guy giving the game a "100".

True, it’s flawed, occasionally messy, and could do with being a little more accommodating to beginners. It also happens to be one of the boldest and most original visions on any system this year, and surely cements Hideki Kamiya’s place among the great game creators of his generation.

I don't understand how some people give perfect scores on whim like that.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Yeah, reviews are dodgy on both sides of the spectrum. I did like Keza's review from IGN. She gives the most fair, concise reviews on the website without sounding so subjective. And she's definitely the better writers there.

I'm looking forward to getting W101 because I know I'm going to have fun with the game. I stomached games with what I believe to have poor controls and after playing W101's demo from the eShop, the drawbacks Keza and several other reviewers mentioned don't turn me off in the slightest. I would believe I'm more tolerant than others, I suppose.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Yeah, reviews are dodgy on both sides of the spectrum. I did like Keza's review from IGN. She gives the most fair, concise reviews on the website without sounding so subjective. And she's definitely the better writers there.

I'm looking forward to getting W101 because I know I'm going to have fun with the game. I stomached games with what I believe to have poor controls and after playing W101's demo from the eShop, the drawbacks Keza and several other reviewers mentioned don't turn me off in the slightest. I would believe I'm more tolerant than others, I suppose.
I don't know, it was hard to tell whether or not she judged the difficulty fairly. I got the impression she took off points because it was harder than it should've been which I always think is subjective since hard is subjective and not necessarily a bad thing in many cases.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
It is a game by Platinum, so I'm hoping she didn't knock points for the game's difficulty but how difficult it is to play with controls that require you to draw lines on the game pad. I can see why it can get frustrating while you're in the middle of of an intense fight. What I did in the demo was wait for the "sub" boss to stop throwing moves or attacking and spaced myself out so I can switch into Sword, Fist or Gun.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
This is not official, nor does it come from nintendo, HAL and such, but a Fan-Made game called Mother 4 is happening.

It looks pretty good.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It is a game by Platinum, so I'm hoping she didn't knock points for the game's difficulty but how difficult it is to play with controls that require you to draw lines on the game pad. I can see why it can get frustrating while you're in the middle of of an intense fight. What I did in the demo was wait for the "sub" boss to stop throwing moves or attacking and spaced myself out so I can switch into Sword, Fist or Gun.
In terms of game difficulty, she did review Dark Souls and gave it a 9. Sooooo.....I think her main gripe was controls more than anything else.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I actually found the controls quite fine, so it's surprising that some people are struggling with it. I use the right analog stick instead of the touch screen since I'm more comfortable with that. Plus the game goes into slow-mo as you're drawing stuff.

I have the game preordered though because the game just gives me more of an old school vibe.

On a side note, I will say I liked how the game used the gamepad by offering a picture in picture mode in case you're only playing on the gamepad for the puzzle.
There's a lot of neat stuff hidden in the demo. Once I started my third run, I was doing more combos and even recruiting enemies on my team.

Also neat how you can secretly find Wonder Pink and Wonder Yellow in the Mission Mode and use them.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
In terms of game difficulty, she did review Dark Souls and gave it a 9. Sooooo.....I think her main gripe was controls more than anything else.
But the difference with Dark Souls and every other game out there is that after the legacy of Demon Souls you know before even playing Dark Souls that its going to be difficult, thus people who rate the game are always going to preemptively take the difficulty with a grain of salt when judging it. Plus, many gaming sites like Gamespot and IGN tend to enjoy those kind of Action RPG styled games, and IGN especially was kissing Dark Souls' @ss when it came out. There was an article comparing Dark Souls and Skyrim and Dark Souls won more than half of the nominations, which showed clear bias towards the game.

finalark

SNORLAX
Plus, many gaming sites like Gamespot and IGN tend to enjoy those kind of Action RPG styled games, and IGN especially was kissing Dark Souls' @ss when it came out. There was an article comparing Dark Souls and Skyrim and Dark Souls won more than half of the nominations, which showed clear bias towards the game.

Which is incredibly stupid and ridiculous since the Souls series and the Elder Scrolls series have two completely different purposes.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
But the difference with Dark Souls and every other game out there is that after the legacy of Demon Souls you know before even playing Dark Souls that its going to be difficult, thus people who rate the game are always going to preemptively take the difficulty with a grain of salt when judging it. Plus, many gaming sites like Gamespot and IGN tend to enjoy those kind of Action RPG styled games, and IGN especially was kissing Dark Souls' @ss when it came out. There was an article comparing Dark Souls and Skyrim and Dark Souls won more than half of the nominations, which showed clear bias towards the game.
While I can understand that everyone knew Dark Souls was going to be this "super hard" game, it wasn't difficult due to bad controls. Like Keza mentioned, it was the controls that made the 101 difficult for her. Also, when Demon's Souls came out of no where, it was received well despite its intense difficulty. I'd also like to point out that IGN recently gave a game called "Gone Home", which is a VERY NICHE game a really high score. While it does vary from reviewer to reviewer, and I'm really not a big fan of IGN's reviews, I will call them out for their good just as much as their bad.

I've never played Skyrim, and I did find the comparisons annoying. I love Fallout, so I do see the games too different. With that being said, I wouldn't have Skyrim win anything, given how broken it was on the PS3. Any company that releases a buggy product like that doesn't deserve a high score, let alone awards. Period.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
While I can understand that everyone knew Dark Souls was going to be this "super hard" game, it wasn't difficult due to bad controls. Like Keza mentioned, it was the controls that made the 101 difficult for her. Also, when Demon's Souls came out of no where, it was received well despite its intense difficulty.
I see your point, and the ease of usability when it comes to controls is subjective. However, I've heard many people say that the controls weren't too frustrating and some said they were fine and even fun to use. I'm not calling Keza's review horrible, but I'm a little doubtful if she really did find those controls that frustrating or if it was just her.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm sure reviewers are going to go back and forth on controls. However, if it is something that many complain about it, it should be noted. Just because you the gamer isn't bothered, doesn't mean others are. Kinda like Skyward Sword and how it annoyed some people with its controls.

With that being said, Keza played through the game 3 times so....plenty of time to get the hang of it.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I'm sure reviewers are going to go back and forth on controls. However, if it is something that many complain about it, it should be noted. Just because you the gamer isn't bothered, doesn't mean others are. Kinda like Skyward Sword and how it annoyed some people with its controls.
What I meant was, yes controls are entirely subjective but should still be noted if its a universal problem, but were the controls so frustrating that it lowered the score to a 7.5? Those are where my doubts lie. Perhaps for her it really was that frustrating, but I also want to know if thats simply her problem or a general consensus. Welp, it hardly matters know, but whatever.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I don't remember much else of the review, but I'm sure she had other gripes. With that being said, having poor controls can take you out of the game to being just broken.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Splinter Cell Blacklist is real fun. Happy that Ubisoft put effort into this game on Wii U. The second screen really streamlines weapon selection and looking under doors using the pad to look around is a neat gimmick.

Sad it probably won't sell well on Wii U. I understand if its not everyone's glass of iced tea, but those who complain about not having good 3rd party games on Nintendo consoles and/or turn their nose up at anything that isn't branded from Nintendo really annoy me :l

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Splinter Cell Blacklist is real fun. Happy that Ubisoft put effort into this game on Wii U. The second screen really streamlines weapon selection and looking under doors using the pad to look around is a neat gimmick.

Sad it probably won't sell well on Wii U. I understand if its not everyone's glass of iced tea, but those who complain about not having good 3rd party games on Nintendo consoles and/or turn their nose up at anything that isn't branded from Nintendo really annoy me :l
Well, Nintendo did sort of put themselves in this position. A "inferior" console that sold well with the casuals, but many third parties did not want to dumb down due to online and graphic capabilities. Everyone and their grandmas knew that even though releasing a system slightly more powerful than the PS3 and 360, it wouldn't warrant third party support for long due to PS4 and X1. Add the fact that not many people are going to pay up for another console when another one is around the corner + lack of interesting games...and well you fail.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Finished the campaign in Splinter Cell Blacklist and it was fantastic.

What's depressing is I can't find anyone online to play Spies vs Mercs and found one person late at night on release to do a co-op mission (that was really good and smooth, actually).

What a pity there's like 4000 people that commented on Miiverse in the SCB community which obviously doesn't mean all 4000 have the game. Oh my, the sales of the Wii U version is going to be so sad. Poor Ubisoft.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
As a heads up, Target will be doing a Buy 2 Get 1 Free deal on Wii U games starting on Sunday. Lasts for the week I think. Unfortunately the retail version of WW HD won't be out yet, but I'll go for Pikmin and W101 along with something else.

ndayday

BRoomer
Pretty nice, but I don't think I have 3 Wii U games in my current wishlist. W101, Rayman...and...

D

Deleted member

It looks like I won't be getting the Wii U until the end of the console lifespan. I don't see the console recovering and not many games I can see myself being interested in. Even Smash is a game I can get on the 3DS, which have much more worthwhile games anyway.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I feel the same way with PS4 and Xbone. Except, maybe in 2 years I'll get either. Leaning towards PS4 more.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
So I bought Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on Amazon the other day and it should be here in a few days. This is my first day since the disappointment of ZombiU. Is it good?

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I envy my brother getting the Zelda Wii U bundle. He gets a nice looking gamepad, WWHD 3 weeks earlier than me... Not cool.

@GwJ Have fun with the game. Hit me up if you want to get together and do some hunting :)

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Not sure, the only game I've played where the point was hunting monsters was Shadow of the Colossus and that was really fun.

Top Bottom