• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I used to be in the graphics don't matter, it should all be about gameplay side when I was a kid. After growing up, I realized that presentation really should matter to an extent. Both are important. Nintendo used to push graphics, but most importantly, they pushed creating some really good art styles. I feel like they're slacking on it a bit with some of these Wii U titles. I also think it's silly to justify current Nintendo by completely disregarding graphics/presentation. Some of us Nintendo fans want our games to look nice while accompanying good gameplay.
I care about graphics, because I KNOW The Wii U can do better. At least Mario Kart is pleasing to look at.

It's like just slapping "HD" is good enough for you guys. Geez. I'm not saying graphics is going to make or break the game, but there is a standard Nintendo should be held too.
For First party, besides X and MK8, most of them just seems like slightly better Wii games in HD. I'm going to assume that they were using the Wii platform first since they're more comfortable and used to developing for it, and then readjusting things for Wii U once they were ready. I remember they did that for Kid Icarus by developing on Wii hardware to 3DS.

So it might be awhile until we see something that'll be built from the ground up on Wii U and show us what it can really do. :ohwell:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I guess I'm still a kid at heart because I still place strong emphasis on gameplay overall, although I will say that great graphics don't hurt. I like the stylistic changes of Smash 4, as in art direction and whatnot, but it's still a little under par graphically-speaking.

Minato and Bored both have valid points.

Smooth Criminal

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I was surprised by Wind Waker HD, I feel it looked better than those old images from when it was announced.

I'm a big fan of WW, so I really want to get this. Aonuma also brought up how the Tri-force hunt could drag, so I'm interested in what they have in mind to improve it(I already love the addition of faster sailing.)

MK8 kind of left me wanting a new F-Zero, that would be a great game to show off what they could do with the Wii U.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I was fine with the sailing in the original wind waker, since I figured out that you could just keep on opening and closing the sail for a huge burst of speed.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
As much as I enjoyed WW, my biggest issue was the pacing. But that's only because they rushed the game out the door. They missed/altered some islands, missed 2 dungeons, and also missed a race iirc. What's done is done though, so I won't expect anything like dungeons out of this one.

As silly as it sounds, what I do want WW HD is more slots to take pictures. Getting only three was horrible when trying to get all the figurines.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Yeah, I'm not expecting major changes, but I'm glad to see that they are willing to make some changes.

Also, I was watching every video closely to see if they increased the number of pictures you could keep, haha.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
So, the reason as to why the sailing speed in wind waker was so slow was because the GC could only load so much of the map at once. Wii U can load the whole map, so faster sail speed is possible.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Wonderful 101 and Wind Waker are trash?

These four are probably the closest to being finished, you're delusional if you were expecting demos for Smash/Mario/whatever surprise games they may have.

Im delusional? LOL NOPE!

Super Mario 3D World
DKC: Tropical Freeze ("surprise game")
Mario Kart 8
Wind Waker

Yea those are the demos at BestBuy. Wind Waker was a wasted spot (we all played that game in 2003) but i guess 10 years creates lots of new gens so maybe it was a good idea after all. Over all though, Nintendo did a GREAT job with these demos. 3 of these 4 were unexpected, 2 of the 4 will sell like CRAZY and all 4 show off what the WiiU can do (which is the major point Nintendo is trying to get across). Much better demos than that fake leak.

Anyways, this E3 was solid for Nintendo IMO. Nothing CRAZY good but definitely nothing BAD. Here is my 2 cents

The new DKC: Tropical Freeze is the "secret" game Rare was working on. I am disappointed sorta. Not because its a DK game (DKC: Returns was AWESOME) but because when they said "we are making a game people have been wanting for a while" i was 110% expecting a Metroid Prime 4. I guess its my fault i still get my hopes up with little to no info. Ill still get this new DK game though.

Mario kart 8. The 2nd best looking WiiU game there IMO. New tracks, New characters and a new way to drive (anti gravity)? Sign me up! Plus they brought back gliding/under water driving/coins and wifi so yea this is gonna be super good. Not much else to say other than its an auto buy.

Wind Waker. Literally a 2003 game brought into 2013 in HD. Easily the worst looking Zelda of all time (Skyward Sword is 2nd worst), CEL SHADE SUCKS HARD. Such a waste. How about you put those WW devs on A Link To The Past 2 or Zelda WiiU (you know, LEGIT/NEW zelda games) so that those games get more care/come out faster? Def will not buy WW again. Especially if the only improvements are "HD" and "faster sailing." I already have those options on the dolphin emulator.

Super Mario 3D World. It looks great and probably plays great (mario games usual do) but i am so not into mario anymore. The last mario i honestly enjoyed was SunShine. Galaxy was apparently super good but i just didnt feel it. I know this game will sell super well but i prob wont get it.

Smash 4. Looks worse (graphically) than Brawl but every single day since E3, i am hearing nothing but good news about the game. Its faster, no tripping, 3 awesome/new characters, being made to be in between melee and brawl. WiiU version will be superior....ect. Will buy for sure.

WiiPlayU/WiiPartyU/WiiTouchU/WiiCasualGameU....ect. I dont care but im sure it will sell well.

Bayoneta 2/Assassin'sCreed 4/Watch Dogs. All super good looking 3rd party games ill get. Watch Dogs STILL continues to impress me. I cant imagine how awesome the game is going to be with the wiiU tablet. SUPER excited.

In fact, Most media outlets ignored Nintendo and im starting to get the hint that is exactly what Nintendo wanted.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Yeah, sorry about that, guess I was angry or something.
Meh, whatever. I do like this demo lineup better than that fake one, not that I'll get to play any of them. :/

lol at WW being the worst looking Zelda game. That's clearly OoT. /opinions

I'm happy with Nintendo's E3, they showed off more games that I would want to play than anyone else. Doesn't matter to me that the only surprise was DK either, no other surprise at E3 caught my attention.
Though I would have liked it if the new Mario game as something more than a 3D Land sequel, but it looks fun so meh.

Xyro77

Yeah, sorry about that, guess I was angry or something.
Meh, whatever. I do like this demo lineup better than that fake one, not that I'll get to play any of them. :/
Nah man its cool. I have been off base on a few things too. its all good.

lol at WW being the worst looking Zelda game. That's clearly OoT. /opinions
I dont know dude its just i came from a darker/more serious zelda life. ALttP/MM and to some extent OOT (adult link's world was pretty hell-ish) was dark/serious and then i was hit with colorful/comic book/cartoony WW and it made my really upset. It felt like 50% of the game is on the ocean/sailing. Link could swim. Ganon was some sort of samurai dude. Just felt dumb imo.

finalark

SNORLAX
I dont know dude its just i came from a darker/more serious zelda life. ALttP/MM and to some extent OOT (adult link's world was pretty hell-ish) was dark/serious and then i was hit with colorful/comic book/cartoony WW and it made my really upset. It felt like 50% of the game is on the ocean/sailing. Link could swim. Ganon was some sort of samurai dude. Just felt dumb imo.

I wouldn't call ALttP that dark or serious. Since, you know, this happens:

I actually really love WW, it's genunitly my favorite Zelda game. I like the art, I love the cell shading (no matter how many years go by cell shading will never look bad), I really enjoyed the sailing since it gave me the impression that I was in a huge ocean. I really felt like the game encouraged exploration. You could be sailing to your objective, but then you see an island or a watch tower in the distance and you end up stopping by just to check it out. Honestly, my only real complaints were that the game really falls short in the last act when you have to collect triforce shards due to the last two dungeons being cut. I really wish Nintendo would restore those dungeons or at least expand the Fire and Ice Islands into full dungeons.

I was never really fond of OoT, though.

finalark

SNORLAX
Bunny ears erases every bit of serious/darkness in ALttP? Come on, man.

I'm not saying it didn't have dark of serious moments, I'm just saying you should acknowledge that game had quite a bit of silliness in it too. Don't forgot that that game was also when the cuccos first showed up, and having a bunch of them enact revenge was pretty silly in and of itself.

I just don't see ALttP being that serious or dark of a game.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I dunno guys. Ugliest Zelda in terms of presentation and graphics is Twilight Princess for me by far. Brown color scheme, bloom, and how it looks on an HDTV even in progressive scan makes it not pretty to look at. The game's presentation just doesn't age that well for me. Wind Waker's HD's art style is looking a lot better than January's direct since it's now back to the original art style. Still, they didn't remove the bloom and blue haze though. Doesn't look as crisp and nice as the original :ohwell:
Honestly, my only real complaints were that the game really falls short in the last act when you have to collect triforce shards due to the last two dungeons being cut. I really wish Nintendo would restore those dungeons or at least expand the Fire and Ice Islands into full dungeons.

I was never really fond of OoT, though.
It's not the last two dungeons, since one should accompany the third pearl and then the other one should be the follow up on the last set of dungeons. Another complaint I had besides the missing dungeons/race/islands is Forsaken Fortress. But yeah, I doubt Nintendo is going to do anything huge for this HD version. It's a wasted opportunity, imo.

Edit: I know there are a lot of OoT haters out there, but I love it. I felt like Miyamoto really gave it his all in it, and the game ended up rather balanced in all areas.

Xyro77

I'm not saying it didn't have dark of serious moments, I'm just saying you should acknowledge that game had quite a bit of silliness in it too. Don't forgot that that game was also when the cuccos first showed up, and having a bunch of them enact revenge was pretty silly in and of itself.

I just don't see ALttP being that serious or dark of a game.
Dont they attack back after being hit X amount of times? I never knew about that till OOT. And the bunny/rabbit thing was only temp. Over all, ALttP is 1000000x times more dark than WW. The point i was trying to make was that i came from darkish zelda games to a rainbow colored comic book game. i didnt like it. im not saying its a terrible bad game (im sure the masses enjoyed it and it got good grades) but im saying its my most hated zelda game. thats all

finalark

SNORLAX
Dont they attack back after being hit X amount of times? I never knew about that till OOT. And the bunny/rabbit thing was only temp. Over all, ALttP is 1000000x times more dark than WW. The point i was trying to make was that i came from darkish zelda games to a rainbow colored comic book game. i didnt like it. im not saying its a terrible bad game (im sure the masses enjoyed it and it got good grades) but im saying its my most hated zelda game. thats all

My point wasn't that WW was darker than AlttP, although I'll be honest under the bright colors there is some pretty grim stuff going on. I don't know, a shift in art style just seemly like a strange reason to hate a game to me. Personally, I love it when a series tries new things and isn't afraid to shake things up. I'm one of the few people who actually really loved the DMC reboot, for example.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I like how Twilight Princess looks personally, certainly not my favorite but I don't hate it.

OoT always felt bland to me though, there's just nothing special about it. Having to repeat the themes of the first three dungeons did not help.

I love WW's and MM's visuals the most. I'm excited for WW HD, maybe there's too much bloom, but it's not bothering me yet and I'm happy about some of the minor changes. I know Nintendo doesn't want to change WW too much, but I'd love to have a hard mode, not going to hold my breath on that though.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I remember hearing the triforce part's going to be more streamlined, whatever that means, so I'm interested in seeing what they're doing.

With all the said, I'm pretty excited to go through WW again since it's been awhile. I wish Nintendo did a little bit more though, like a Master Quest.

finalark

SNORLAX
I remember hearing the triforce part's going to be more streamlined, whatever that means, so I'm interested in seeing what they're doing.

With all the said, I'm pretty excited to go through WW again since it's been awhile. I wish Nintendo did a little bit more though, like a Master Quest.
This has been my biggest hope for WW HD ever since it was announced. I'll be honest, right now I have no plans to get it simply because I already have the original GCN version of the game. So far from what I've seen there isn't enough new content to warrant a repurchase for me. However, a Master Quest would be enough to possibly sway me into buying WW again.

Xyro77

My point wasn't that WW was darker than AlttP, although I'll be honest under the bright colors there is some pretty grim stuff going on. I don't know, a shift in art style just seemly like a strange reason to hate a game to me. Personally, I love it when a series tries new things and isn't afraid to shake things up. I'm one of the few people who actually really loved the DMC reboot, for example.

The art change is a HUGE deal for me because its something you must look at the ENTIRE time you play the game. So if a person doesn't like it, you gotta deal with it for the next 30 hours or whatever.

I really enjoyed TP style because it was more realistic and def had a darker tone than WW did. Hell, ill never forget the crowds reaction to TP at e3. Gives me goose bumps.

finalark

SNORLAX
Eh, opinions will be opinions. For me, even if they had kept the art style the same I still would have loved it due to how vastly improved the game play is over previous 3D Zeldas.

I will be honest, I actually really liked TP. I know the game has a ton of haters and I'm really not sure why.

finalark

SNORLAX
He directed Mario Sunshine and DK Jungle Beat. I would love to see him in a directing role again if that's what he has major influential force behind.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Eh, opinions will be opinions. For me, even if they had kept the art style the same I still would have loved it due to how vastly improved the game play is over previous 3D Zeldas.

I will be honest, I actually really liked TP. I know the game has a ton of haters and I'm really not sure why.
Not entirely sure what the general consensus of TP hate is, but I hated a few things. My most hated thing was the fact that most of the items were so useless outside their dungeons. And Wolf Link was a wasted gimmick, as Wolfy wasn't important once you got past the first 3 dungeons. Also, it was a piss easy game to beat.

Xyro77

SunShine is my 2nd fav mario game. I wish Nintendo would revisit ideas concerning fludd.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I just realized that there are going to be quite a few Wii U games I'll be buying this year. More than I thought at least. Pikmin, W101, WW HD, DKC, Sonic, Mario 3D World. Not too bad. Pikmin, W101, Sonic, and Mario are the ones I'm really looking forward to.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I'm strongly considering getting a Wii U in anticipation of the new Super Smash Bros. and my delusions of a modern Metroid. Can someone recommend some good exclusives to tide me over?

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I'm strongly considering getting a Wii U in anticipation of the new Super Smash Bros. and my delusions of a modern Metroid. Can someone recommend some good exclusives to tide me over?
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (I think it's coming or already came to other consoles but it's great on this), New Super Mario Bros. U (New Super Luigi U was just released as DLC. really great), ZombiU, Virtual Console titles like Super Metroid (with save states and playability on the gamepad), and--wait...

The Wii U doesn't have games?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (I think it's coming or already came to other consoles but it's great on this), New Super Mario Bros. U (New Super Luigi U was just released as DLC. really great), ZombiU, Virtual Console titles like Super Metroid (with save states and playability on the gamepad), and--wait...

The Wii U doesn't have games?
MH3 is also on 3DS, Razor's Edge is just a director's cut of a bad game that bombed and is out on other consoles, and Super Metroid with save states shouldn't count as an exclusive.
The only thing it has is ZombiU and Lego City if they're into those kinds of games and NSMBU (which is good but way too safe from Nintendo).

The good stuff will be coming, but it's silly to say it has a lot of good games within its first 7 months. Nintendo's even apologizing for the current status.

Serris, the good exclusives are pretty much the ones I mentioned in the post above, and they'll be coming out along the upcoming months.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
LEGO City: Undercover is an amazing Wii U exclusive. It's basically LEGO Grand Theft Auto but you're a cop instead. It's chock full of amazing humor, a giant world to play in, memorable characters, and hours upon HOURS of stuff to do and collect just to get 100% (and the last part of the game story-wise will blow you away). The biggest complaint I have to say that it has some pretty long loading times.

There is also a 3DS game called LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins that the game's story takes place 2 years before the events of the Wii U game but the game is kinda hard to recommend.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
People worried for Smash 4's graphical fidelity need to take note of Kid Icarus Uprising. Compare the 2010 footage to footage shown a year later and then final game.

Sakurai even said that "images" and "assets" aren't final. It'll look better than it does now. One thing that struck me was the poor detail in the Skyloft Stage. That will obviously look better when the game releases. But otherwise, character detail and the game looks fantastic to me.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Why even care about graphics in smash? I'd be more worried about how it plays. I'm kinda disappointed in the fact that 3DS smash holds back the character roster for Wii U Smash. But if we could get a little more than brawl, I would be happy.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Finally got myself a Wii U, and immediately transferred all the VC data I had on the Wii over to it.

Only after that did I realize that it also took the save data from all the Wii games I've played, so now the memory's been wiped clean from all those games if I want to play them on the Wii.

Now I'm using the Wii to play Gamecube games, and the Wii U to play Wii games. Weird how that happens.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Why even care about graphics in smash? I'd be more worried about how it plays. I'm kinda disappointed in the fact that 3DS smash holds back the character roster for Wii U Smash. But if we could get a little more than brawl, I would be happy.
No one is saying that gameplay should be less of a concern compared to graphics. However, there should be a standard to uphold, and it looks like as of now, they are using some outdated engine to make this game. If the Wii U is supposed to be "slightly" better than the PS3 and 360, this game does not show it one bit.

finalark

SNORLAX
No one is saying that gameplay should be less of a concern compared to graphics. However, there should be a standard to uphold, and it looks like as of now, they are using some outdated engine to make this game. If the Wii U is supposed to be "slightly" better than the PS3 and 360, this game does not show it one bit.

The game looks like Brawl to me. As in, it literally looks like Brawl 2.0.

Then again, nobody could really tell exactly how floaty Brawl was until the game came out. Time will tell I suppose.

Top Bottom