• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Hmmmmmmm SM3DW looks fun but I have a feeling it will be more "hey here's 100 1-UPS so if you come across anything that would be challenging you can try all day. Challenge? Pfft nobody wants that."
You make it sound like they haven't been doing so since Mario 3.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I don't recall 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy being 1UP bargain sales.
I haven't really played 64 too much, so I can't comment. Sunshine doesn't have a surplus of 1-ups, but they are generous in secret worlds. Galaxy one was a huge 1-up fest, it was really easy to get them, especially in the first one. In a sub-two hour playthrough I can get at least seventy lives.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I don't recall 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy being 1UP bargain sales.
64 had like 6 1-ups in the hub. Each stage had 2-5 1-ups (Bowser's 1st stage had like six). Sunshine had 3 at the hub. Each stage pretty much had a 1-up. Some FLUDDless areas gave 2. Sunshine gave even more if you revisted guys that have already given you blue coins. Galaxy had like 5 in the hub world and each stage had quite a lot. 50 coins for a 1-up made things easy too.

None of this is new. Sure the hub ones are optional after each mission, but so are the ones in stages.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
There were 1UPS in Peach's Castle? Still in 3D Land it was ike you could get 50 in a stage, it's probably due to how easy it starts out. by the time you get to anything challenging you've ranked up a gazilion 1UPS.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
There were 1UPS in Peach's Castle? Still in 3D Land it was ike you could get 50 in a stage, it's probably due to how easy it starts out. by the time you get to anything challenging you've ranked up a gazilion 1UPS.
Ignoring Yoshi and the other ones on the roof, one is in the hole in the wall in the Aquarium room. Another is climbing a tree on the left side of the castle. A 1-up can be gotten by getting the two coins under the bridge after the water drains, and then there are 2 1-ups for attacking the butterflies on the right side of the castle and the one at the start. The DS version removed some of these. I think only one of the butterfly works while the aquarium and roof are still there.

I do admit that 64 was clever about hiding these 1-ups, especially compared to NSMB2 and 3D Land.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Meh, I never really thought of life based game overs to be something difficult, especially not in games where I can go back to older levels.

If I stand to lose a lot of progress from a game over I'll just go somewhere else and gather some 1-ups. So I don't really mind if the game saves me some time by throwing tons of lifes my way. :/

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I knew I had seen enough when he said MAY-RIO

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Yeah, I had a feeling Sonic: Lost World would get negative reviews.

From what I have seen of the gameplay videos thus far, Sonic: Lost World looks like it will be a fairly enjoyable game, though somehow I doubt I will like it as much as Sonic Colours. [Shrugs] I guess I will find out when I buy mine Wii U in January.

By the way, does anybody here know if the 3DS/Wii U connectivity works in different regions? For instance, will mine European 3DS be able to connect to a Japanese or American Wii U? Thanks in advance.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I know it works with the 3DS (since you can play and trade with foreign people) so I assume it works with Wii U also.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
To help spur interest in the Wii U, Nintendo should release all three Mario Kart Arcade GP games on the system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Kart_Arcade_GP
I thought you said they were confirmed and you got me all excited for nothing. Regardless, it would be a bit tedious for Nintendo to do that as they would have to go through copyright stuff in order to port the games onto the Wii U. The Mario Kart GP games are still relatively unexciting in a console setting; the speed is slow, the directions are a bit unclear, the tracks are bland, etc. They'd have to rework a lot of the game in order for it to have good reception and worth the time and effort. It's very unlikely that something like this would happen in the near future, but I'm sure it's a possibility.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
To help spur interest in the Wii U, Nintendo should release all three Mario Kart Arcade GP games on the system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Kart_Arcade_GP
I thought you were confirming this too and got excited for nothing.

Anyways, I have played Arcade GP 1 (at Disney World) and Arcade GP 2 (via emulator) and I can tell you right now that Arcade 2 is just a carbon copy of the the first one but with extra content so Arcade 1 isn't all that necessary. I've yet to play Arcade GP DX but I really want to. Oh, and if you want to get any progress on this wish, then bug Namco-Bandai Games and not Nintendo (all Nintendo did for those games was green lighting them.)

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Hot damn, Super Mario 3D World is getting some MAD praise right now.

Destructoid: 10/10
Edge: 9/10
Eurogamer: 10/10
Famitsu: 38/40
Game Informer: 9.25/10
GamesRadar: 4.5/5
Gamespot: 9/10
IGN: 9.6/10
Joystiq: 5/5
Nintendo World Report: 10/10
GameRankings: 94.22%
Metacritic: 93/100

I think 2 sites gave it an 8/10 But there are always those out-of-place reviews in games

But then again, I can't argue against those 10's and 9's. I still don't have a Wii U though so I'm saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I'd expect nothing less from the people who made the two Galaxy games.

3D World looks more promising than anything else coming out this year.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
3D World is gonna be the game that finally makes non-Wii U owners think twice about their decision.

If it's anywhere near Super Mario Galaxy in terms of "fun factor" we're in for a treat.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Here are some quotes I found online.

Edge: "If the true measure of new hardware’s worth is how stark the difference is between it and what came before, then this is the most next-gen game that 2013 has yet produced." 9/10

Destructoid: "I want you to know that I have a basis for comparison for the newly released Super Mario 3D World for the Wii U -- so when I say it's one of the greatest Mario games ever made, I mean it. It's one of the greatest Mario games ever made." 10/10

Eurogamer: "Compact by the standards of the Galaxy adventures but still loaded with bountiful secrets, beneath the warm familiarity of 3D World lies one of the strangest Mario games in years - or at least one of the most random in its influences and its moment-to-moment indulgences. And that's a very, very good thing." 10/10

Game Informer: "Nintendo does it again, blending novelty with nostalgia to offer some of the best couch co-op out there" 9.25/10

GamesRadar: "While the Galaxy series went in an incredibly rewarding and complex direction, Super Mario 3D World (and its predecessor, Super Mario 3D Land) chose to simplify the franchise in favor of a wider appeal. That seeming step backwards chafed at first, but 3D World reminded me that one of Mario’s greatest strengths--beyond his impossibly muscular legs--is his ability to go mainstream without sacrificing creativity or quality." 4.5/5

Gamespot: "Super Mario 3D World is a game of exceptional craft, of painstaking focus on the minute details that are integral to making it feel special. The pace at which you're thrown from one ingenious concept to the next as perspectives, tempos, and mechanics change would choke a lesser game, but here it's done with a seamlessness that makes such rapid inventiveness look easy. This is a game where every level is a golden nugget of heavenly platforming joy, where ideas are rarely repeated--and if they are, they're given such a twist as to make them feel new again." 9.0/10

IGN: "After 28 years of making marvelous Mario platform games, you’d think Nintendo would run out of ideas. But Super Mario 3D World defies such logic and creatively sets itself apart – in good ways – from its outstanding recent predecessors, Super Mario 3D Land and Super Mario Galaxy 2." 9.6/10

Joystiq: "Put simply, Super Mario 3D World is stunning. Its world is beautiful, its design is impeccable, and its fun is infectious. I'm running out of superlatives here, so let me finish where I started: Go play it." 5/5

Here are some gorgeous screenshots of the game in action too.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Have to wonder, with how great Mario 3D World looks (and several other Wii U titles), will hyper realistic graphics matter? I understand the potential limitation the Wii U could impose on developers say, 4 years down the line, but on a graphical stand point it looks like video games are hitting a wall and things can really look much better. And it begs the question, is it worth the effort pushing so many polygons when really, people just want to sit down and play a great video game?

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Nintendo needs a graphically spectacular game like a new F-Zero to show off what the Wii U can really do. Either that or a new Wave Race game in the tradition of the Nintendo 64 version which is universally lauded as one of the greatest racing games of all time.

Sure, Super Smash Bros. 4 and Mario Kart 8 will help sell millions of Wii U's but the console needs something fresh that caters more to serious gamers if the console is to remain competitive against the PS4 Visigoth.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
3D World is gonna be the game that finally makes non-Wii U owners think twice about their decision.

If it's anywhere near Super Mario Galaxy in terms of "fun factor" we're in for a treat.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

Out of every home console since the PS1, consoles have been selling units with games being a byproduct. PS1 and PS2 sold like crazy because they were made to be a fit for consumers. And to be honest, Wii U is nowhere near as good as the Wii is in terms of consumers buying it up. If the console itself cannot rake in customers, it won't sell as well. Doesn't matter how good the Mario installments are if the console doesn't look appealing.

The controller copies the idea of a tablet, then adds in the traditional game controls and feel. It isn't fluent like the Wii's motion controls and simple button inputs. And the fact you physically hold the controller like a traditional one alienates non gamers, who flocked to the Wii over anything else. Not to mention the touch controls either are more clunky than the buttons or are designated to secondary tasks.

And don't even get me started on the lack of online support and infrastructure.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I wholeheartedly disagree.

Out of every home console since the PS1, consoles have been selling units with games being a byproduct. PS1 and PS2 sold like crazy because they were made to be a fit for consumers. And to be honest, Wii U is nowhere near as good as the Wii is in terms of consumers buying it up. If the console itself cannot rake in customers, it won't sell as well. Doesn't matter how good the Mario installments are if the console doesn't look appealing.

The controller copies the idea of a tablet, then adds in the traditional game controls and feel. It isn't fluent like the Wii's motion controls and simple button inputs. And the fact you physically hold the controller like a traditional one alienates non gamers, who flocked to the Wii over anything else. Not to mention the touch controls either are more clunky than the buttons or are designated to secondary tasks.

And don't even get me started on the lack of online support and infrastructure.

While I agree that the Wii U won't be as successful as the Wii overall I disagree with the notion that consumers won't be eating the Wii U up once its library of quality titles has expanded.

Look no further than the 3DS for this fact; its sales numbers at launch were terrible directly as a result of its terrible launch lineup... Not the hardware itself. Now here we are over 2 years later and the 3DS has been "the best selling US console for the 5th month in a row." http://www.vg247.com/2013/10/17/wii-u-sales-up-200-in-september-3ds-best-selling-us-console-npd/

I'm expecting a similar scenario to happen with the Wii U. Super Mario 3D World is the first real system seller to hit the shelves, so expect sales numbers to shoot up once more quality titles join it.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Don't tell me we have forgotten about Monolith Soft's new game?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APWTJMyM4qg

As much as I would like to have another F-Zero, flying a giant robot appeals to me far more. I don't mind getting this first.
I didn't forget about it; I never knew about it.

Mecha is one of my favorite genres having spent thousands of hours playing the three original Armored Core games on the PS1.

In actuality, I'd love to see a proper Frame Gride sequel on the Wii U. Now that would be incredible!

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Look no further than the 3DS for this fact; its sales numbers at launch were terrible directly as a result of its terrible launch lineup... Not the hardware itself. Now here we are over 2 years later and the 3DS has been "the best selling US console for the 5th month in a row." http://www.vg247.com/2013/10/17/wii-u-sales-up-200-in-september-3ds-best-selling-us-console-npd/
You have to look at the bigger picture when bringing up the 3DS vs. consoles. They are two COMPLETELY different ballparks. The 3DS had the ideal market to take over. Here are some of the biggest factors:

1. Vita's inability to capitalize on the handheld market. Nobody wanted it because it was so expensive and the memory woes were killing it. Not to mention crossplay on PS3 was too limited to be a real selling point. As of now it's pretty much the PS4's little pet that you might get if you don't want to play Temple Run on your phone.

2. The 3DS has one minor opponent in its field. The Wii U has two major competitors that are threatening to sell in extremely high amounts. And each of them sells a VERY good product, especially Sony. x86 architecture for 3rd parties and indie developers, PS+ deals and perks, specs, graphics, crossplay, etc. are huge selling points. Even with Mario and co., they're best bet is to only sell like the Gamecube. It's not like the 3DS that has all the games, AND no real competition.

3. I never said the Wii U wouldn't sell, I'm just saying it's going to sell in mediocre amounts. And games can only help a lacking console so much. Read this link:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/dfc-predicts-gamecube-like-sales-for-wii-u/0124739

Wii U is projected to sell at Gamecube levels. You simply cannot hope to outsell Sony based on games alone in the console market. It's not like the handhelds where you are king, MS and Sony both go hard and throw a lot of money at it. It happened to the n64 and it happened to the Gamecube. The consoles weren't superior, so they didn't sell at the same rate as Sony's. They sold Nintendo games, to Nintendo audiences. Just look at the n64's stacked lineup: Golden Eye, Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Mario Kart, etc. But it just sold a decent amount, not bad or good.

4. Look at these launch titles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_launch#Titles

Whole bunch of crappy games. Yet the Wii was selling at record pace. Why? Wii Sports happened with a little Zelda to boot. And those games for sure would not have sold the Wii console THAT much on their own.

I'm expecting a similar scenario to happen with the Wii U. Super Mario 3D World is the first real system seller to hit the shelves, so expect sales numbers to shoot up once more quality titles join it.

They'll shoot, but it won't be near Sony. And to be honest they'll probably come just short of MS's sales.

finalark

SNORLAX
I hear people comparing the Wii U's performance to the GameCube. That means that the Wii U will sell horribly, everyone will call it the "baby" console and will throw accusations about it lacking any "adult" games. Ten years later everyone will love it in hindsight and will wonder how they overlooked so many amazing titles.

We live in a confusing world where according to the general public Nintendo games don't become amazing until it's been at least a decade since they came out.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Isn't that what happens to every Zelda game after OoT?

Guess I shouldn't be surprised that it would extend to everything Nintendo eventually.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I still don't think that Twilight Princess was that great. Skyward Sword I'm willing to take a second go after some convincing from some friends and the internet.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm actually doing a second play though of TP right now, since I was able to get my hands on the GCN version of the game for a surprisingly decent price. It's my first time playing the game since it first came out in '06 and it's my first time playing the GCN version. I have to say, I genuinely forgot how story heavy this game is in comparison to other Zelda games.

I never got a chance to play Skyward Sword, sadly, due to a lack of motion plus. I might pick it up in the near future though.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
I hear people comparing the Wii U's performance to the GameCube. That means that the Wii U will sell horribly, everyone will call it the "baby" console and will throw accusations about it lacking any "adult" games. Ten years later everyone will love it in hindsight and will wonder how they overlooked so many amazing titles.
Yes, it's poised to sell like the Gamecube. And all the kiddies who get their hands on the Mario games will grow up and remember their childhood games and post them to /r/gaming over and over. But the people didn't overlook them, or else they wouldn't even post about them because they didn't play them.

We live in a confusing world where according to the general public Nintendo games don't become amazing until it's been at least a decade since they came out.

When all the kiddies are in college.

finalark

SNORLAX
Yes, it's poised to sell like the Gamecube. And all the kiddies who get their hands on the Mario games will grow up and remember their childhood games and post them to /r/gaming over and over. But they people didn't overlook them, or else they wouldn't even post about them because they didn't play them.
Interesting, I never really thought of it like that. I was actually about eight years old when the GCN came out and I'm in college now. I'm guilty of posting about how much love that console and it's games to death. As far as I know, the N64 went through something similar. During its lifespan it was known as "that console that has one or two incredible games a year but not much else." And yet these days certain people act like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

On that note, I would like to add that adults posting about their childhood Nintendo games does increase their popularity. I don't think it's always the same pool of people praising these games. Surely constantly hearing about all of these awesome games that you missed during your childhood is bound to get some people who grew up with an Xbox or PS2 to check out said GCN titles. That's pretty much how the PS2 went for me.

Top Bottom