• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Soraya Saga has retweeted the Japanese Nintendo Direct. Expect some X news tomorrow.

Retweets from PG people as well. We might get some Bayonetta 2 news too.

Last edited:

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
I would have to say today's Nintendo Direct was successful. Although there weren't really any new games revealed, we got an incredible Little Mac reveal trailer, some more beautiful (and I mean beautiful) game-play footage of X, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, and the Koopalings being revealed as playable characters in Mario Kart 8. Overall, I found myself leaving fairly content knowing that E3, and perhaps another direct is in the near-future (though at least a look at something such as Yarn Yoshi wouldn't have hurt, but whatever), holding information on titles such as Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, Majora's Mask remake, Zelda Wii U, etc.

Here's the whole direct for anyone that had missed out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdQg43n2OaM

Last edited:

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
If we were to gauge the quality of Directs by the amount of new content shown, then this was a bad Direct.

But Directs are not about that, and the amount of footage showing different sides of each game were amazing. I'd say it's a definitely a success despite what anyone says.

Also GBA virtual console hype.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I would have to say today's Nintendo Direct was successful. Although there weren't really any new games revealed, we got an incredible Little Mac reveal trailer, some more beautiful (and I mean beautiful) game-play footage of X, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, and the Koopalings being revealed as playable characters in Mario Kart 8. Overall, I found myself leaving fairly content knowing that E3, and perhaps another direct is in the near-future (though at least a look at something such as Yarn Yoshi wouldn't have hurt, but whatever), holding information on titles such as Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, Majora's Mask remake, Zelda Wii U, etc.

Here's the whole direct for anyone that had missed out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdQg43n2OaM
That's not totally true. That weird baseball game and the weapon shop game were new reveals. Not particularly mind-blowing, but they were new reveals.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
If we were to gauge the quality of Directs by the amount of new content shown, then this was a bad Direct.
We're really gauging Nintendo's general quality of keeping customers informed at this point. Nintendo Direct, other forms of reveals, whatever. People want to have faith in the Wii U, but it's tough when they don't want to announce anything for the 2014 holiday season. Or even Fall 2014.

But Directs are not about that, and the amount of footage showing different sides of each game were amazing. I'd say it's a definitely a success despite what anyone says.
It doesn't necessarily matter what they want Nintendo Directs to be, it's the fact they are communicating with consumers but not letting them know anything past Spring 2014 besides a snippet of X. That's what people are mad about, keeping us in the dark. I have a Wii U and besides MK and Smash, I have nothing to buy in 2014. I play my indie games on PC for a much smaller price.

Also GBA virtual console hype.
GBA emulators have been available on the damn ipod touch within the first 6 months of its release in 2007. The first six months. Look it up, plenty of old forum posts on how to get it on the internet. I have absolutely no hype for an emulator that frankly should have taken no time at all for Nintendo to make. People do it on all sorts of platforms like PSP, ipod touch, etc. without Nintendo's amount of structure, talent, or resources.

I'm fed up with the overpriced VC that refuses to include Gamecube titles and so many of Nintendo's other past consoles. Hell, there are emulators for gamecube for the android OS in alpha along with programs for wirelessly streaming GC games to your phone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tad8EK6g7fo

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
That's not totally true. That weird baseball game and the weapon shop game were new reveals. Not particularly mind-blowing, but they were new reveals.
You are correct, but both of those are 3DS titles. Being in the thread of the Wii U, I was referring to Wii U games only, though I suppose I should have clarified upon that (not that it matters much, anyways). My apologies.

Last edited:

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
You are correct, but both of those are 3DS titles. Being in the thread of the Wii U, I was referring to Wii U games only, though I suppose I should have clarified upon that (not that it matters much, anyways). My apologies.
Oh wow, no that was my bad! Should have been obvious what you meant.

It is a little disappointing how little has been announced for the Wii U in 2014. I mean, I'm as excited as anyone for Smash, Kart, Kong, and Bayo2, but I'm worried that the trickle of software is still too slow to get the Wii U picking up steam. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope Nintendo has some great stuff for E3!

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I liked DKCR's soundtrack and all, but this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95HuSMQSUVo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=301s-GDML5w

This is outstanding. I really need to see David Wise and Kenji Yamamoto team up on more games.
It's just from the first island too, I'm really looking forward to what the rest of this game will offer.

The game's good too, but man, this soundtrack. It's going to be one of my top two soundtracks this year, without a doubt.

Last edited:

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
I ended up buying it although I haven't had time to get into it past the first stage yet.

How long did it take you guys to get your nintendo club coins after you linked your Wii U with a network ID and E shop?
I think it took a day or two, can't remember.

R0Y

Smash Master
Having played the first 4 DKC's and being one of those types that stands by DK64 instead, not interested in Tropical Freeze. The wait for MK8 continues...

Soon my precious first HD Nintendo console (inserts random pic of guts):
upload_2014-3-22_11-53-5.png

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
Your loss... Tropical Freeze is fantastic.
Not missing out at all, just not my preference. I'm not much of a 2D platformer fan anymore. I just feel 3D platformers were so much better and now they're pretty rare, which re-enforces that I don't want to support the 2D platforming sub-genre anymore.

R0Y

Smash Master
Is there a demo? You should try it out first. I thought I wasn't a 2D platformer either, but I was proven wrong.
Maybe, then again i have the 8 gig (it was on clearance) and no HDD. On an unrelated note Wii U hasn't been released in South Korea, how are you playing it?

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Yeah, Mario Kart 8 looks absolutely beautiful and while Super Smash Bros. Wii U doesn't look as good, I'm sure its gameplay will make up for any graphical shortcomings. These two games will insure that the humble Wii U will be a huge success and should finally silence all those who doubted Nintendo's newest fun machine.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
You crazy son. Super Smash Bros WIi U looks absolutely beautiful.
Do you think it's had as much of a graphical upgrade as Mario Kart 8 has?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the Wii U version of Super Smash Bros. is ugly but graphically it's on par with DKC Tropical Freeze while MK8 is on a whole new level.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Do you think it's had as much of a graphical upgrade as Mario Kart 8 has?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the Wii U version of Super Smash Bros. is ugly but graphically it's on par with DKC Tropical Freeze while MK8 is on a whole new level.
I can't believe your saying neither DKC or Smash Bros Wii U look next gen. They look just as beautiful and updated as MK8. And even if they were graphically worse than MK8, SSB Wii U is no where graphically impaired where you'd have to say that the "gameplay" has to make up for the graphics. Your the first person I've seen who is unsatisfied and unimpressed w/ the graphics.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I can't believe your saying neither DKC or Smash Bros Wii U look next gen.
When did I say that SSB Wii U doesn't look next-gen?! All I said is that Mario Kart 8 is noticeably better looking to my eyes.

The new Smash game on the Wii U looks more than good enough and I'm really looking forward to finally playing it.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Yeah, Mario Kart 8 looks absolutely beautiful and while Super Smash Bros. Wii U doesn't look as good, I'm sure its gameplay will make up for any graphical shortcomings.
It's just this part that blows my mind. I just can't see how in the world the graphics of Smash Bros 4 isn't good enough for you. I'm starting to think you're trying to say something else, but this is written poorly if you're simply trying to convey the point that Mario Kart 8 has better graphics. From this post, I can gather that you're trying to say "Since SSB Wii U has inferior graphics than MK8, it is at a significant disadvantage and must have good gameplay to compensate for it." Now what I think you're trying to say is "MK8 looks better than SSB Wii U. However, SSB Wii U still looks fun if not more fun anyway." If that's what you're trying to say, format your sentences better.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
It's just this part that blows my mind. I just can't see how in the world the graphics of Smash Bros 4 isn't good enough for you. I'm starting to think you're trying to say something else, but this is written poorly if you're simply trying to convey the point that Mario Kart 8 has better graphics. From this post, I can gather that you're trying to say "Since SSB Wii U has inferior graphics than MK8, it is at a significant disadvantage and must have good gameplay to compensate for it." Now what I think you're trying to say is "MK8 looks better than SSB Wii U. However, SSB Wii U still looks fun if not more fun anyway." If that's what you're trying to say, format your sentences better.
Super Smash Bros. Wii U looks great, Mario Kart 8 looks spectacular.

finalark

SNORLAX
Not missing out at all, just not my preference. I'm not much of a 2D platformer fan anymore. I just feel 3D platformers were so much better and now they're pretty rare, which re-enforces that I don't want to support the 2D platforming sub-genre anymore.
I don't know, I feel like 2D platformers and 3D platformers are so different that you can't even compare the two. 2D platformers tend to be about executing tricky jumps and navigating levels filled with traps while 3D platformers tend to be based around exploration and collecting items (you can blame Mario 64 for that). Apples to oranges really.

Anyway, MK8 hype. It's on my to-get list in the future once my friends and I are out of college and have some spare time to actually sit down and play a game every once and while. Granted, that won't be for a few years but it's something to look forward to.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Fatal Frame for the Wii U could potentially be brilliant! It'll be interesting to see the series jump into HD and what-have-you. A part of me is a little surprised that it was announced now, what with E3 being right around the corner. . . Regardless, I look forward to seeing a trailer, and do hope that this one will be localized in N.A. The genre itself is a good change of pace for the Wii U.

finalark

SNORLAX
I've never actually played a Fatal Frame game (mostly because they tend to be $30+ dollars and I don't have a PS2 anymore) but as a horror fan they always seemed right up my alley. I'm probably gonna pick up this new one when it comes out so I can finally give the series a go.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
A part of me is a little surprised that it was announced now, what with E3 being right around the corner. . .
With the amount of stuff Nintendo are going to have to show at E3 I'm not surprised we're getting a few bits out now so they can just whack up a trailer and don't have to explain it as much... Fatal Frame particularly probably needs a bit more information because of the live-action, novel and manga all coming with it which would be odd to leave out of the reveal, but wouldn't really fit in a Direct...

Pass

Smash Cadet
I've never actually played a Fatal Frame game (mostly because they tend to be $30+ dollars and I don't have a PS2 anymore) but as a horror fan they always seemed right up my alley. I'm probably gonna pick up this new one when it comes out so I can finally give the series a go.
You (most likely) won't regret it. The series so far has been solid.
I'm not an easy scare, but the first Fatal Frame had me in tears.
You can bet I'll be picking it up too.

R0Y

Smash Master
It may very well not be being released outside of Japan, which would make announcing it at E3 pointless

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I doubt they'll keep it Japan exclusive, a lot of people got on the Fatal Frame U train, and 4's western release was only cancelled because the game wasn't up to scratch... Nintendo look to be more involved in this one, so I think it's a safe bet we'll get an English version, especially as it's pretty much the perfect game to show off the gamepad...

Top Bottom