• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Japan exclusives from Nintendo seem less and less common in general to me. Only major one I can think of off hand right now is that Dragon Quest game. 'course, being exclusives, I might just not be aware of them.

But I mean, if they think there's a market for Tomodachi Life here, I can't see them deciding not to localize Fatal Frame.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Picked up the Metroid Prime Trilogy and The Last Story for a fiver each at Tesco. They were having a clearance sale on games.

My Wii isn't set up right now (need a new scart cable) but I thought I'd be crazy to let the opportunity pass me by.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
My Wii U just arrived although I haven't set it up yet. Can't decide if I want to put away my old Wii to make room for it.

Here's my dilemma, even though I own a Classic Controller Pro I've kinda gotten used to playing all my Wii and Virtual Console games with the GameCube controller. What to do, what to do?

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Yeah, it should be a huge help. I think the Wii U wouldve had much stronger sales if it launched with games like MK 8 or Smash 4.
I agree with this completely. Backwards compatibility isn't that big a benefit since almost everybody already owns the original Wii.

Mario Kart 8 will definitely boost Wii U sales. In fact, I purchased my Wii U now so I'd have it when MK8 launches at the end of May.

If Super Smash Bros. IV is nearly as successful as Melee, I suspect Microsoft will be forced to drop the price of the Xbox One to stay relevant. Software sells consoles and Nintendo has two of their strongest franchises coming to the Wii U this years which will make it a formidable adversary in the console wars.

Jackson

Smash Lord
I agree with this completely. Backwards compatibility isn't that big a benefit since almost everybody already owns the original Wii.

Mario Kart 8 will definitely boost Wii U sales. In fact, I purchased my Wii U now so I'd have it when MK8 launches at the end of May.

If Super Smash Bros. IV is nearly as successful as Melee, I suspect Microsoft will be forced to drop the price of the Xbox One to stay relevant. Software sells consoles and Nintendo has two of their strongest franchises coming to the Wii U this years which will make it a formidable adversary in the console wars.
Exactly. These titles are exactly what the system needs to revive itself if the sales are anything close to Brawl or Mario Kart Wii.

Last edited:

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
I had just recently posted this in the Mario Kart General Discussion thread, but I figure I may as well bring it to attention here as well, just in case anyone is unaware.

Firstly, there was a random Mario Kart 8 direct for us this morning. Around the ending of the direct, they had revealed that if you redeem your Mario Kart 8 game on Club Nintendo from May 30th - July 31st, you will receive a one free-of-choice download code for the Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, New Super Mario Bros. U, Pikmin 3 or Wii Fit U! On top of that, the North American bundle has been confirmed, and to be priced at $329.99. Nintendo is promoting this game in an excellent manner. Wii U's will be sold.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
So happy there's a Nintendo Direct, game looks amazing!

I had just recently posted this in the Mario Kart General Discussion thread, but I figure I may as well bring it to attention here as well, just in case anyone is unaware.

Firstly, there was a random Mario Kart 8 direct for us this morning. Around the ending of the direct, they had revealed that if you redeem your Mario Kart 8 game on Club Nintendo from May 30th - July 31st, you will receive a one free-of-choice download code for the Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, New Super Mario Bros. U, Pikmin 3 or Wii Fit U! On top of that, the North American bundle has been confirmed, and to be priced at $329.99. Nintendo is promoting this game in an excellent manner. Wii U's will be sold.
Actually Creo, even more games for EU!

For us though, yeah, those 4 are it except it's Wii Party U for us too, not Wii Fit U.

Me being too stubborn to pay $60 for a 2D platformer paid off, (already have Pikmin 3 and WWHD), NSMBU it is!
'

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I'm undecided on W101 or Wii Party U... I have all the rest except the olympics already :p.

I'm slightly more interested in Party U, but it's also much cheaper to buy, and I do kinda want W101...

Decisions, decisions!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm going to settle on NSMBU. I'm not really into the NSMB series, so I never picked it up (I got the retail version of the Luigi game though).

I haven't picked up Pikmin 3 yet either, but I want to get a physical version of that.

Overall, MK8's looking really solid. Good online features too.

R0Y

Smash Master
I'm going to settle on NSMBU. I'm not really into the NSMB series, so I never picked it up (I got the retail version of the Luigi game though).

I haven't picked up Pikmin 3 yet either, but I want to get a physical version of that.

Overall, MK8's looking really solid. Good online features too.
Same, except I already have Pikmin 3 physical. NSMBU is a no-brainer for me, thought I was done with the series after Luigi U but this'll keep me in it.

I'm undecided on W101 or Wii Party U... I have all the rest except the olympics already :p.

I'm slightly more interested in Party U, but it's also much cheaper to buy, and I do kinda want W101...

Decisions, decisions!
You're in the old PALand? Lucky, way more choices.

R0Y

Smash Master
Guess I'll have to hook up an HDD now. Got the Basic and less than 3 GB of space left, NSMBU and replays from MK8 will take up most of that.

I like Dragon Quest and speak English, where else would I come from?
Uhhh, don't know if that's supposed to somehow reference DQ being more popular in Europe than North America or something (I had no idea and the release history would imply otherwise.)

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Uhhh, don't know if that's supposed to somehow reference DQ being more popular in Europe than North America or something (I had no idea and the release history would imply otherwise.)
Yeah, it is. We didn't get a lot because of the mess of the NES releases (there where two distinct NES consoles) in Europe, but what we have gotten sold better... Oddly there are exceptions to the rule like DQM: Joker, but yeah, generally DQ is more popular in europe.

The localisation is probably a big part in that though, thanks to it's use of British English.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
Yeah, it is. We didn't get a lot because of the mess of the NES releases (there where two distinct NES consoles) in Europe, but what we have gotten sold better... Oddly there are exceptions to the rule like DQM: Joker, but yeah, generally DQ is more popular in europe.

The localisation is probably a big part in that though, thanks to it's use of British English.
Don't forget DQVII on the PS1 being JP/NA only.

I love me some Commonwealth English mate; localisation, colour, armour, z = (zed), lieutenant = (lefttenant), etc.! Stinks that we got the American spelling of Sonic Colours here.

I never use the American stuff, which is tricky here in Canada since there seems to be a local hybrid between Commonwealth and Yank (don't mean Yank in a bad way.)

Back on topic, HDD setup was extremely easy. Luckily mine has an external AC adapter like they recommend.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm not sure what game I want. I already have NSMBU, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD and not sure I want Wii U Party (don't have any for multiplayer for starter). I wish I had some choices Europe has (why the hell Europe gets more then twice the amount of games as North America?)

Jackson

Smash Lord
I'm not sure what game I want. I already have NSMBU, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD and not sure I want Wii U Party (don't have any for multiplayer for starter). I wish I had some choices Europe has (why the hell Europe gets more then twice the amount of games as North America?)
I'm in the exact same situation as you. I guess I'll just get Wii Party U, because why not.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
why the hell Europe gets more then twice the amount of games as North America?
Wii U sales in Europe aren't as strong as in america so they're focusing more on getting people to pick up the consoles... The Wii U has a strong niche in America already, it kinda doesn't here, so they want to get consoles in hands.

If they then push hard on Monolith's new game and Dragonq uest they could eat the jRPG market (since the PS4 isn't going to get them thanks to their terrible JP sales), and win a niche in Europe that way... this sort of thought process is particularly telling in the fact Monster Hunter 3 is one of the offered titles.

Last edited:

Lorenzo The Comic

Smash Journeyman
some place pronounced like a Pokémon Website
NNID
OutboundKid
Any of you tried Hello Kitty Kruisers? It's an easy Kart Racer that looks similar to Diddy Kong Racing, where you can choose from 10 different Sanrio characters (some of which are hidden), and several different vehicle models. Each character has three different outfits. The power-ups serve little use and each can only be fired in one direction. For Mario Kart Wii players, the drifting and power-up buttons are basically swapped with each other.

Have a good time laughing at the A.I. when they get stuck. It's so bad that you can even lap the computer. There were a few occasions where I finished an individual race in 2nd place. The only thing that was remotely challenging and required some strategy was some of the missions in Adventure Mode, where there are 4 different types of objectives that must be achieved within a time limit: Time Trials, racing through all rainbow gates, collecting cupcakes, and collecting apples (for every lap you pass, the time limit extends). In addition, the missions are assigned to certain characters. The game doesn't alert you about what content you've unlocked.

That game could have used some voice acting so we would know what our favorite Sanrio characters sound like, or incorporated a difficulty setting. The characters don't seem to possess unique attributes to make them stand out from each other. I was quite looking forward to this game, so I could have my cheap Kart Racing fix on the Wii U. I've played many other Kart Racing games like Lego Racers 1&2, Nicktoons Racing and M&M's Kart Racing.

R0Y

Smash Master
I thought people with OCD didn't like to leave a disc in their console when it's turned off?
If I plan to play the game the next time, then taking out the disc all the time causes unnecessary wear and tear though

That disc LED is helpful And I think the on-off LED is like that because when it goes orange it means it's in low-power "on" mode, similar to PS4 if you keep it in standby as well, though I don't keep either in standby.

Last edited:

E-ColeWorld

Smash Apprentice
If I plan to play the game the next time, then taking out the disc all the time causes unnecessary wear and tear though

That disc LED is helpful And I think the on-off LED is like that because when it goes orange it means it's in low-power "on" mode, similar to PS4 if you keep it in standby as well, though I don't keep either in standby.
What games you have for both systems

R0Y

Smash Master
What games you have for both systems
PS4: Killzone: Shadow Fall
Call of Duty: Ghosts
PS+ titles

Wii U: Wind Waker HD
Super Mario 3D World
Pikmin 3
New Super Luigi U
Lego City Undercover

What Wii U titles do you own so far?

E-ColeWorld

Smash Apprentice
PS4: Killzone: Shadow Fall
Call of Duty: Ghosts
PS+ titles

Wii U: Wind Waker HD
Super Mario 3D World
Pikmin 3
New Super Luigi U
Lego City Undercover

What Wii U titles do you own so far?
Well for WiiU I have
Monster Hunter
Zombie U
Nintendo Land
Black Ops 2

Ps4 I have.........nothing
Well the free downloadable games but no disc games.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
No wonder my Wii games run smoother on-line when played on the Wii U. The Wii U supports the newer 802.11n standard.

You'll recall that the original Wii only supports up to 802.11g.

The Nintendonista are getting super excited about the launch of Mario Kart 8 later this month and a big part of that game is going to be the on-line play. If you have a 802.11n router rest assured that your Wii U will give you exceptional performance when playing on-line.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
I WANT A 8GIG BASE MODEL WII U! SHOULD I DO IT??

So i want to buy a wii u for mario kart 8. I see a basic model for 250 on amazon right now. Am I going to regret buying a basic model wii u? My wii still has enough space and I downloaded a good amount of games for it and just had some save files. I am curious about how big the system updates are and if they take space on the hard drive or are just downloaded through the internet. Otherwise i can buy the tablet charge cradle for 5 bucks online, so I dont see much value in the deluxe aside the (omg) 32 g memory.

Please help, thanks!

R0Y

Smash Master
I WANT A 8GIG BASE MODEL WII U! SHOULD I DO IT??

So i want to buy a wii u for mario kart 8. I see a basic model for 250 on amazon right now. Am I going to regret buying a basic model wii u? My wii still has enough space and I downloaded a good amount of games for it and just had some save files. I am curious about how big the system updates are and if they take space on the hard drive or are just downloaded through the internet. Otherwise i can buy the tablet charge cradle for 5 bucks online, so I dont see much value in the deluxe aside the (omg) 32 g memory.

Please help, thanks!
DO IT!!!

You won't regret it at all, especially if your prefer the colour. Not only can you get an external HDD at any time, in a pinch you can use a USB thumbdrive.

firmware updates never take up any space. It's part of the reserved space. You're left with 3.3-ish out of the gate with the 8 GB IIRC.

On the Deluxe there's the Deluxe Digital promotion though if you buy your games digitally.

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
DO IT!!!

You won't regret it at all, especially if your prefer the colour. Not only can you get an external HDD at any time, in a pinch you can use a USB thumbdrive.
is that what you have? if so hows the storage space treating you so far? aside the hardrive use. Gotta know more. definately like the white over the black just wanna make sure I am making the right purchase

thanks

R0Y

Smash Master
is that what you have? if so hows the storage space treating you so far? aside the hardrive use. Gotta know more. definately like the white over the black just wanna make sure I am making the right purchase

thanks
Yup, got a Basic deal too.

Storage is fine, I plugged in an external HDD with it's own AC adapter I had lying around anyway but I didn't need the space anyway because I buy everything physically, so I have like 2.8 GB left on the internal memory. The Deluxe Digital Promotion would have done nothing for me. Also, no guarantee it continues beyond 2014.

PS3 installs a lot of games, that's why the 12 GB is less feasible there. PS4 and XB1 install every game, so it's very unfeasible there. For Wii U there is basically no difference between 8 and 32 GB, and the extras are nice but weren't worth the premium imo, but now they're the only thing being actively sold other than the last of the Skylander's Basic bundles.

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
Yup, got a Basic deal too.

Storage is fine, I plugged in an external HDD with it's own AC adapter I had lying around anyway but I didn't need the space anyway because I buy everything physically, so I have like 2.8 GB left on the internal memory. The Deluxe Digital Promotion would have done nothing for me.

PS3 installs a lot of games, that's why the 12 GB is less feasible there.
yea I can only see myself getting a few digital games not alot. I have games from wii I can put on sd cards i have (do the wii sd cards work with wii u as well?) why you have such little space left? is it from game saves or digital stuff?

R0Y

Smash Master
yea I can only see myself getting a few digital games not alot. I have games from wii I can put on sd cards i have (do the wii sd cards work with wii u as well?) why you have such little space left? is it from game saves or digital stuff?
You're left with 3.3-ish GB after the 8 GB internal memory is formatted and space is reserved (OS doesn't take up space, etc.) So, 500 MB, most of it being Pikmin 3 updates. If you're planning on any full retail game purchases digitally, other than the title that comes with MK8, which are in the 2-ish GB range, and don't have/want to buy/can't afford an external HDD with its own power supply or a Y-Cable (draws power from 2 USB ports, costs like $3) just put in a USB thumb drive in a pinch. It'll work fine, they just have limited read/write cycles. It won't harm your Wii U or your purchases though. Worst comes to worst that stick fails and you lose your save and have to redownload, however, you can transfer your save from the USB storage device to the internal memory for backup!

Wii VC console games, including ones on SD Cards, WILL work after you do a Wii - Wii U system transfer. It's a pretty simple process that's in the manual and the Wii mode screen, comes with a cool Pikmin animation of them taking all your apps. A few things like the web browser won't transfer over (Wii U one is far better with tabs and can be used suspended in-game at any time.) Also, if you want to "upgrade" them to Wii U VC titles, you can pay about $1 or $1.50 depending on system and they'll give you save states, etc.and transfer the game to the Wii U menu instead of the Wii. Even if the title is no longer sold, it will transfer to your Wii mode though, even DKC 1-3, and still looks better via HDMI.

Last edited:
Top Bottom