• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
You're left with 3.3-ish GB after the 8 GB internal memory is formatted and space is reserved (OS doesn't take up space, etc.) So, 500 MB, most of it being Pikmin 3 updates. If you're planning on any full retail game purchases digitally, other than the title that comes with MK8, which are in the 2-ish GB range, and don't have/want to buy/can't afford an external HDD with its own power supply or a Y-Cable (draws power from 2 USB ports, costs like $3) just put in a USB thumb drive in a pinch. It'll work fine, they just have limited read/write cycles. It won't harm your Wii U or your purchases though. Worst comes to worst that stick fails and you lose your save and have to redownload, however, you can transfer your save from the USB storage device to the internal memory for backup!

Wii VC console games, including ones on SD Cards, WILL work after you do a Wii - Wii U system transfer. It's a pretty simple process that's in the manual and the Wii mode screen, comes with a cool Pikmin animation of them taking all your apps. A few things like the web browser won't transfer over (Wii U one is far better with tabs and can be used suspended in-game at any time.) Also, if you want to "upgrade" them to Wii U VC titles, you can pay about $1 or $1.50 depending on system and they'll give you save states, etc.and transfer the game to the Wii U menu instead of the Wii. Even if the title is no longer sold, it will transfer to your Wii mode though, even DKC 1-3, and still looks better via HDMI.
great info. Will any old usb stick work or hard drive work, you know a list of recommended stick and hard drives to use?

R0Y

Smash Master
great info. Will any old usb stick work or hard drive work, you know a list of recommended stick and hard drives to use?
USB should, but it has to be formatted for exclusive use. Hard Drive it needs to power up fully so it can spin the platters, so most should work with a Y-cable, but if it doesn't, pretty much all with an external power supply. I use a WD MyBook. Partial list is here: http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1359/~/what-external-usb-storage-devices-can-be-used-with-wii-u%3F

Minato

穏やかじゃない
IMO, you could do better on the deal. I got my deluxe for 250 last year while another friend got a WWHD bundle for 200. There's a lot of sales, deals, third party sellers for brand new Wii U's. If you're not willing to spend a little time, the Basic is fine. The 32 GB doesn't make much of a difference if you were going digital for Wii U games. Both can't hold a lot, but any VC stuff is perfectly fine. Deluxe is good for the Deluxe Promotion I guess if you're planning on getting stuff on the store. 5 dollars every 50 dollars you spend.

R0Y

Smash Master
True, I got my Basic brand new for $199 Canadian last year (plus tax,) or about $181 US.

Last edited:

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
The Wii U is turning out to be a good financial deal for me. I purchased my black 32 GB model that came bundled with New Super Mario Bros. U and Luigi U for just $250. Since I purchased it online I didn't have to pay tax or shipping which could have been a substantial amount of money. Today I took the pack-in game to GameStop and traded it towards Mario Kart 8 which yielded $36.40 in trade in credit. I'm horrible at 2Dish platformers so I really didn't mind parting with the games (which were both on one disk). So paying the difference for MK8 means that my console and copy of the game are only costing me a grand total of $241.24 which I'm very happy with.

Remember, too, that I'm also going to get a free game from Club Nintendo for purchasing MK8 which makes the deal even sweeter. I love you Nintendo!

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
The Wii U is turning out to be a good financial deal for me. I purchased my black 32 GB model that came bundled with New Super Mario Bros. U and Luigi U for just $250. Since I purchased it online I didn't have to pay tax or shipping which could have been a substantial amount of money. Today I took the pack-in game to GameStop and traded it towards Mario Kart 8 which yielded $36.40 in trade in credit. I'm horrible at 2Dish platformers so I really didn't mind parting with the games (which were both on one disk). So paying the difference for MK8 means that my console and copy of the game are only costing me a grand total of $241.24 which I'm very happy with.

Remember, too, that I'm also going to get a free game from Club Nintendo for purchasing MK8 which makes the deal even sweeter. I love you Nintendo!
Not a bad idea trading in mario u...since I get money for that trade in and get mario kart 8 and get mario u for free anything

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Not a bad idea trading in mario u...since I get money for that trade in and get mario kart 8 and get mario u for free anything
New Super Mario Bros. U and Luigi U aren't bad games but I much prefer 3D games like Mario Kart 8.

I'm sure that the Wii U is eventually going to get a bunch of great games but Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. IV will probably be good enough to make the console worthwhile for me. My friend who works at GameStop tells me that going by presales alone MK8 is going to be HUGE and should do a lot towards reinvigorating the Wii U market.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
New Super Mario Bros. U and Luigi U aren't bad games but I much prefer 3D games like Mario Kart 8.

I'm sure that the Wii U is eventually going to get a bunch of great games but Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. IV will probably be good enough to make the console worthwhile for me. My friend who works at GameStop tells me that going by presales alone MK8 is going to be HUGE and should do a lot towards reinvigorating the Wii U market.
Good news for the Wii u

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Anyone know how much space Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker HD on an 8GB SD card?

The PSWhore and XBone don't stand a chance against the all powerful, epitome of next generation console machinery, WeakU.

Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Like extra data? or are you trying to put them on an SD card (cuz you can't)

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
So thinking of getting the deluxe wii u bundle and just selling off super mario u for like 17 bucks in trade in or selling on amazon. Just need to find a deluxe wii u for around 250. Id be fine with that

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
So thinking of getting the deluxe wii u bundle and just selling off super mario u for like 17 bucks in trade in or selling on amazon. Just need to find a deluxe wii u for around 250. Id be fine with that
This is exactly what I did! I found an Ebay seller offering the New Super Mario Bros. U/ New Super Luigi U Deluxe bundle for $250 with no shipping charges or tax. Played NSMBU/NSLU and realized I suck at platformers so I traded it in at GameStop towards Mario Kart 8. It worked out to be a pretty good deal. Now I'm all set for when Super Smash Bros. IV comes out.

A lot of people say that buying a refurbished Deluxe Wii U directly from Nintendo is a pretty good deal, too. Rumor has it that Nintendo in actually gives out brand new models at a highly reduced price this way. Helps the company grow its installed userbase for the Wii U and is still economically feasible as they circumvent retailers.

By the way, buy a Wii U immediately if not sooner because Mario Kart 8 is AWESOME! Here's a picture of my copy.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Like extra data? or are you trying to put them on an SD card (cuz you can't)
I mean how much space does it take on an 8GB whatever. I'm going to download either one of those to games with the Mario Kart 8 deal.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
This is exactly what I did! I found an Ebay seller offering the New Super Mario Bros. U/ New Super Luigi U Deluxe bundle for $250 with no shipping charges or tax. Played NSMBU/NSLU and realized I suck at platformers so I traded it in at GameStop towards Mario Kart 8. It worked out to be a pretty good deal. Now I'm all set for when Super Smash Bros. IV comes out.

A lot of people say that buying a refurbished Deluxe Wii U directly from Nintendo is a pretty good deal, too. Rumor has it that Nintendo in actually gives out brand new models at a highly reduced price this way. Helps the company grow its installed userbase for the Wii U and is still economically feasible as they circumvent retailers.

By the way, buy a Wii U immediately if not sooner because Mario Kart 8 is AWESOME! Here's a picture of my copy.

I traded in some games and an old psi controller and just applied it to mario kart..got it for 17 bucks..now just need the Wii u lol..just waiting till after E3, Nintendo might do a price drop or something. After that I'm in! Let's play mario kart soon

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Warning Received
I might get a WiiU soon, does anyone know where to get one at a lower price. Gamestop sucks, they overprice everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

finalark

SNORLAX
I might get a WiiU soon, does anyone know where to get one at a lower price. Gamestop sucks, they overprice everything.
When it comes to new stuff, you're probably not going to find things for much cheaper than GS since everywhere sells at MSRP. You might wanna hit up either Amazon or Ebay though.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Bought my Wii U last Thursday, and it has really been great! I enjoy pretty much everything about it so far; The interface, Gamepad, etc (being able to play on the Gamepad while having the NBA finals on my TV is so convenient). Naturally, I've been playing Mario Kart 8 as of late, which is fun in of itself. The online (personally speaking) has been lag-less for the most part, and I've actually not lost communication on many games (maybe around 10 in all?). Anyways, I'm enjoying it, and look forward to seeing the games to come in a couple of days at this years E3.

Edit: Everyone should purchase Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, because it's incredible (unless side-scrolling platformers aren't your forté, of course). I feel that that title is being unfairly overlooked. . .

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
i am just waiting until after E3 see if nintendo announced a special bundle or dare i say price adjustment. After that I am in on the wii-u. Should be an exciting week!

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
My purchase of a wiiu will depend on how smash4 is.

Question: is 8gb enough? What even goes on the drive just save data?
i have done my research on this, there is a 5 gig update you must do. so the 8 gig is really 3 gig. Unless you just buy physical the basic set might not be worth it. I plan to make a video about basic vs deluxe, theres alot of info i never knew about

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
the update was a little over 2gb installed, the 5gb was a media exaggeration around release.
if you plan on going physical for retail you can live with a basic. if you are going to download indie games or other things and don't want to dedicate an external harddrive to your wii u data then a 32gb is good

R0Y

Smash Master
I've never played a Fatal Frame, but I hear that unlike Resident Evil or Silent Hill it never abandoned its survival horror roots. Well, guess what, Fatal Frame V is coming to Wii U....let's see if it comes to the West, in particular for me, NA.

Here's a teaser image posted yesterday. Girl in the middle is probably the new protagonist:

finalark

SNORLAX
Fatal Frame is one of those series that always looked up my alley but for one reason or another I just never got a chance to give a try. I'll try not to miss out on Fatal Frame five when it comes out.

R0Y

Smash Master
Don't forget Xenoblade Chronicles X, which IS coming here for sure!

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
Xenosaga Episode IV hype I've never played the first game, but the trailer has me intrigued. HD JRPG? Yes please.
Wouldn't it be Episode V now if you counted the first Xenoblade Chronicles? :p

Man, how often do we see console JRPG's like this anymore? There's still a tiny trickle on PS3 but that's about it.

R0Y

Smash Master
Depends on your definition when you mean console JRPG's like this.
Well, there's Tales, Final Fantasy (none in the near future coming to consoles besides a port of Type-0. I don't have any faith in XV coming soon), KH (came for KH3,) and a few from other companies like NIS. There aren't nearly as many anymore. Most of them have moved to handhelds or mobile.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Well, there's Tales, Final Fantasy (none in the near future coming to consoles besides a port of Type-0. I don't have any faith in XV coming soon), KH (came for KH3,) and a few from other companies like NIS. There aren't nearly as many anymore. Most of them have moved to handhelds or mobile.
I still think there's a good steady stream now. Tales, Atelier, NIS, and Gust basically have two games every year. Falcom has maybe a game per year now. Then there's From Software's Souls and stuff too being every now and then. It's mostly Square and Atlus's output being small right now. Square's recently released Drakengard 3 while everyone's just waiting on Persona 5 from Atlus.

I feel like the big names make a lot of JRPGs still, it's just Square making it seem less so.
Of course, I'm comparing to the PS2 era since I feel like it was on the decline since PS2.

R0Y

Smash Master
I still think there's a good steady stream now. Tales, Atelier, NIS, and Gust basically have two games every year. Falcom has maybe a game per year now. Then there's From Software's Souls and stuff too being every now and then. It's mostly Square and Atlus's output being small right now. Square's recently released Drakengard 3 while everyone's just waiting on Persona 5 from Atlus.

I feel like the big names make a lot of JRPGs still, it's just Square making it seem less so.
Of course, I'm comparing to the PS2 era since I feel like it was on the decline since PS2.
Fair enough.

finalark

SNORLAX
If you're talking about decline in terms of popularity, I'd have to say that it didn't start declining until the very end of the PS2/Xbox/GCN era. Hell, in the 360's early days it had quite a few JRPGs. I think it was around 08/09-maybe even 10 that the genre completely fell out of public interest, likely due to the sudden backlash against Japanese media from western audiences.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
If you're talking about decline in terms of popularity, I'd have to say that it didn't start declining until the very end of the PS2/Xbox/GCN era. Hell, in the 360's early days it had quite a few JRPGs. I think it was around 08/09-maybe even 10 that the genre completely fell out of public interest, likely due to the sudden backlash against Japanese media from western audiences.
Mostly in numbers, I mean. SNES and PS1, there were so many JRPGs. PS2 was that awkward time when they were starting to make the transition to where they are today. A lot of series either died out or failed to make a revival that gen.

The numbers in this gen are much smaller now like R0Y said, but I feel like it's still decent enough.

finalark

SNORLAX
Mostly in numbers, I mean. SNES and PS1, there were so many JRPGs. PS2 was that awkward time when they were starting to make the transition to where they are today. A lot of series either died out or failed to make a revival that gen.
There is some truth there, Breath of Fire sputtered out and died, Chrono Break was never a thing, unless you were into MMOs, the FF series disappeared off the face of the Earth for a few years. Now that you mention it, the PS2 was the final resting place for many, many JRPG series. The previously mentioned Breath of Fire and the last the last main-seires Mana game come to mind for me.

The numbers in this gen are much smaller now like R0Y said, but I feel like it's still decent enough.
I think handhelds have been quite the boon to the genre. While many series died out on consoles at least the genre lives on quite strongly on 3/DS and PSP/Vita.

Top Bottom