• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I think handhelds have been quite the boon to the genre. While many series died out on consoles at least the genre lives on quite strongly on 3/DS and PSP/Vita.
Yeah, and I'm quite thankful for it. As strange as it sounds, handheld titles seem to have more originality and risks on new ideas compared to consoles. Due to development costs, consoles tend to have your usual franchises, reused assets, etc. I feel like companies are starting to see that mid tier games are perfectly fine on console/handheld. Now it's just a matter of waiting for Square to realize that more instead of focusing on just mobile gaming.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Alright, before my mom starts a tantrum again, I bought the Wii U Wind Waker Bundle plus a hard copy of mk8.
Don't bother adding if you're interested in playing mk8 with me, because I gave it away to a friend as a gift. I might get a digital copy in august, and I started saving early because of nintendo's little cool thing that everyone should know about.

ddp.nintendo.com

Go here and put in your nnid and etc. and get your free digital money (five bucks), cause I got $10 after spending $400+ dollars, lol.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Everyone should remember to take advantage of that deal when they can. The promotion lasts until December this year (probably the end of it).

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Oh, I've been taken advantage of the Deluxe Digital Promotion. Since I got the Wii U at launch I've gotten $35 from the offer and I'm 315 points away from getting another $5.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
The Wii U is a really nice console and I'm completely satisfied with mine. I'd recommend that anyone who enjoys Nintendo's magnificent first-party games pick one up.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
So yeah, I've been having fun with the wii u, but it's been killing my mood to play WWHD. It's been crashing randomly whenever I'm playing, starting with a loud beep and stopping after a few seconds, and that's that. I had to force the console to shut down. :/

Edit --

Nevermind, I think the redownload of WWHD fixed the problem, plus keeping the system ventilated by having it sideways. I just blew $600+ this month and I don't know if I did good or not, so I'm gonna dump this here to see what you guys think.

SPREE #1 ===============================

Bought:
Wii U WWHD Bundle
Mario Kart 8 (Hard Copy)
Wii Remote Plus (Luigi Ver.)

Reserved:
Super Smash Bros for Wii U Bundle ($5)
Super Smash Bros for 3DS ($5)

Got:
Hyrule Historia (Digital Ver.)
200+ Club Nintendo Coins
Club Nintendo Platinum Status
Free Video Game (Pikmin 3)
$10 in DDP
Club Nintendo Reward (Mario Party 2) x2 (Accidentally bought 2, ending up with 10 coins left.)
Wii Sports Club (Free 24hr Trial)

Gifted:

Mario Kart 8 (Hard Copy)
Club Nintendo Reward (Mario Party 2) x1

SPREE #2 ===============================

Got:
$100 (A gift from my father.)

Bought:
$50 e-Shop Card. (Total: $60)
Mario Kart 8 (Digital Copy)

Got:
Club Nintendo Coins

SPREE #3 ===============================

Got:
$5 in DDP

Bought:
Art Academy Sketchpad

Got:
Animal Crossing Plaza
Club Nintendo Coins

Later Bought:
$50 e-shop card
Shovel Knight (3DS Ver.)
Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien + DLC
All Pikmin 3 DLC (Missions)
All Rusty's Real-Deal Baseball DLC

Got:
$5 in DDP

Club Nintendo Coins
Wii Sports Club Update (Another free 24hr trial due to adding baseball and boxing, leading up to 48hrs.)

LAST SPREE? =============================

Bought:
Bit.Trip Complete

Got: ???

Interested in trading:
Super Smash Bros for 3DS + $10 eShop Card for Digital Copy ($50 eShop Card)
Super Smash Bros for Wii U for Digital Copy ($50 + $10 eShop Card)

Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Why digital copies? convenience? at this point I hope you have a dedicated external HD
btw if you're looking for possibly the best indie game on wii u atm get Mighty Switch Force Hyper Drive Edition. sometimes goes on sale too.

Last edited:

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
I am working my butt off to get this game, so far i have clocked in 25 hours of work. Once i get it which is probably near the end of july HHHYYYYYPPPPPEEE.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Why digital copies? convenience? at this point I hope you have a dedicated external HD
btw if you're looking for possibly the best indie game on wii u atm get Mighty Switch Force Hyper Drive Edition. sometimes goes on sale too.
I have enough for smash bros for wii u. Same goes for the 3DS.
Those are the two games I don't think I'll ever sell, especially games with a large, addictive online community.
For indie games, I should buy a 16gb usb for them. For the rest of the games like 3D World, I keep those as hard copies.

Also, buying Shovel Knight for the 3DS sounds like a much better option. I got the same quality and frames as the Wii U, got streetpass, and a miiverse group. And as far as I can see on Wii U's behalf, A Digger's Diary and Miiverse group. I don't think I'll need guides for this fun game.

Also, I hear that there were 5 new levels in the original. Does it have the same ones on Hyper Drive Edition?

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
Did it really get a graphical downgrade?

I don't really feel the difference to be honest...
What game? If it's Xenoblade Chronicles x it looks amazing except the character models, which always looked bad. Not Monolith Soft's core competency, and I'm willing to give them that. The open-world doesn't look downgraded one bit, watch the playthroughs.

What game? If it's Xenoblade Chronicles x it looks amazing except the character models, which always looked bad. Not Monolith Soft's core competency, and I'm willing to give them that. The open-world doesn't look downgraded one bit, watch the playthroughs.
Yeah, I was talking about Xenoblade Chronicles X

Seems like a bunch of ***** on the internet were bashing the game for having "downgraded graphics"

finalark

SNORLAX

Seems like a bunch of ***** on the internet were bashing the game for having "downgraded graphics"
It's amazing how some people can say that they care about game play over graphics but then turn around and bash a game for not having the most amazing HD blow-your-brains-to-****-tastic visuals that they've ever seen.

R0Y

Smash Master

They calmed down after they saw the Treehouse video. Character models aren't great but the game is beautiful regardless. Game looks even better than its reveal and the story and gameplay will be amazing.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=115856012#post115856012

It's amazing how some people can say that they care about game play over graphics but then turn around and bash a game for not having the most amazing HD blow-your-brains-to-****-tastic visuals that they've ever seen.
I don't know why some people say that, they're almost equal to me and I'm not afraid to admit I'm shallow like that.

Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I have enough for smash bros for wii u. Same goes for the 3DS.
Those are the two games I don't think I'll ever sell, especially games with a large, addictive online community.
For indie games, I should buy a 16gb usb for them. For the rest of the games like 3D World, I keep those as hard copies.

Also, buying Shovel Knight for the 3DS sounds like a much better option. I got the same quality and frames as the Wii U, got streetpass, and a miiverse group. And as far as I can see on Wii U's behalf, A Digger's Diary and Miiverse group. I don't think I'll need guides for this fun game.

Also, I hear that there were 5 new levels in the original. Does it have the same ones on Hyper Drive Edition?
I got Shovel Boy on Wii U just because big pixels and possibility of speedrunning, not sure how that will shape up though atm for me.
Hyper Drive Edition has all the 3DS levels including 5 bonus levels and then "hyper" levels which are basically remixes of all those levels. 21 original levels + 21 hyper remixes (with remixed music too) = 42 levels = 2x the levels on 3DS. also costumes.

finalark

SNORLAX
I don't know why some people say that, they're almost equal to me and I'm not afraid to admit I'm shallow like that.
I can't really say I like that since legitimately one of the most fun games I've ever played is a crappy old Atari space shooter called Yar's Revenge. That being said, I can appreciate it when there has been a ton of effort poured into making a game beautiful or just having an insane amount of attention to detail.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I got Shovel Boy on Wii U just because big pixels and possibility of speedrunning, not sure how that will shape up though atm for me.
Hyper Drive Edition has all the 3DS levels including 5 bonus levels and then "hyper" levels which are basically remixes of all those levels. 21 original levels + 21 hyper remixes (with remixed music too) = 42 levels = 2x the levels on 3DS. also costumes.
Alright, that has me sold. And for switch force 2, you can just buy that on either system? Or are they not the same as well?

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Alright, that has me sold. And for switch force 2, you can just buy that on either system? Or are they not the same as well?
If you're asking about cross-buy, no, that doesn't apply to Nintendo systems.

If you're asking if there is a difference- there isn't. Hyperdrive Edition is an HD-remaster of the 3DS MSF with bonus content as described.

MSF2 on Wii U is just a port of the 3DS game. There are no additional content.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
Everyone should remember to take advantage of that deal when they can. The promotion lasts until December this year (probably the end of it).
Not everyone :p I got a Basic on clearance last year for a really good deal so no DDP for me.

I buy everything physical though anyway, though the $5 free eShop bucks would be nice.

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Not everyone :p I got a Basic on clearance last year for a really good deal so no DDP for me.

I buy everything physical though anyway, though the $5 free eShop bucks would be nice.
Same, although I somehow have 10 dollars free credit somehow. I don't remember buying that many VC games, but oh well.

I'm pleasantly surprised that MK8's free game actually counted towards the DDP though.

Murrayy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Murray97
ddp.nintendo.com

Go here and put in your nnid and etc. and get your free digital money (five bucks), cause I got $10 after spending $400+ dollars, lol.
Thanks for that link. Got £15 free on the eshop. Dunno what I'll get with it but its nice to have.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Thanks for that link. Got £15 free on the eshop. Dunno what I'll get with it but its nice to have.
Did you get shovel knight yet? You should since it's $14.99 and became a critically acclaimed video game since its release.

There's some remixes by the same composer, by the way.
http://virt.bandcamp.com/album/strike-the-earth-shovel-knight-arranged

Also, Cross-Buy is probably going to be a thing.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/30/5857008/nintendo-3ds-wii-u-cross-buy-eshop

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Does anyone know when the offer for the $200 Refurbished Wii U on Nintendo's Website Expires?
It fluctuates. I've seen it at $250 before. But then, it comes back down to $200. You probably should worry about pricing on those refurbs as the months go by, the price will likely stay at $200. I wouldn't be surprised if later this year Nintendo offers a Wii U Brand new with a pack-in game for $250 during the holiday season. I believe Japan already has a Wii Sports Club bundle so I think that bundle will be on the way soon.

R0Y

Smash Master
It fluctuates. I've seen it at $250 before. But then, it comes back down to $200. You probably should worry about pricing on those refurbs as the months go by, the price will likely stay at $200. I wouldn't be surprised if later this year Nintendo offers a Wii U Brand new with a pack-in game for $250 during the holiday season. I believe Japan already has a Wii Sports Club bundle so I think that bundle will be on the way soon.
I imagine they're trying to cost reduce as fast as they can but I don't see them selling the console at a loss again like they did to start. Next price cut I bet is to $249 next spring, but I could see $299 with Smash this holiday to try to move units.

Last edited:

Murrayy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Murray97
Does anyone know that if you can activate another one of the Mario Kart promo codes? Was considering buying one to get Pikmin.

Booster

Smash Lord
Thanks, the most I will pay for Wii U is $250, but I don't want a game I'll end up selling back to Gamestop or eBay

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Thanks, the most I will pay for Wii U is $250, but I don't want a game I'll end up selling back to Gamestop or eBay
If you're referring to Nintendo Land, it really isn't a bad game. Definitely one of the better launch titles and the games are really fun especially if you enjoy most of Nintendo's properties. My favorite of all the attractions is a tough choice between Metroid Blast and Balloon Flight (it's a Balloon Fight/Trip game).

If you have a group of friends, get them together to play Nintendo Land. And even then, it has enough Single Player content to suffice. Talking about it now makes me want to go ahead and boot it up but I need to be focused on my school work lol

Oh and Takamaru is an amazing game in Nintendo Land. Love the boss fight and the music.

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
If you're referring to Nintendo Land, it really isn't a bad game. Definitely one of the better launch titles and the games are really fun especially if you enjoy most of Nintendo's properties. My favorite of all the attractions is a tough choice between Metroid Blast and Balloon Flight (it's a Balloon Fight/Trip game).

If you have a group of friends, get them together to play Nintendo Land. And even then, it has enough Single Player content to suffice. Talking about it now makes me want to go ahead and boot it up but I need to be focused on my school work lol

Oh and Takamaru is an amazing game in Nintendo Land. Love the boss fight and the music.
I'll atleast try out any bundle games I get on any console I get, it's a free game

Also I am referring to the Wii U port of Assassin's Creed 3, Sonic Lost World, ZombiU, NSMBU (I didn't enjoy it like I enjoyed the other ones), Wind Waker HD (Because I already have Wind Waker), and Skylanders, I truly don't want to pay an extra $100 for those

Last edited:

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Just want to let you know there are no Wii U without a bundle being sold at all game stores and etc.

And if there's still a Wii U without a game, I guarantee you it'll still be $299.

R0Y

Smash Master
Just want to let you know there are no Wii U without a bundle being sold at all game stores and etc.

And if there's still a Wii U without a game, I guarantee you it'll still be $299.
Only Wii U's that were ever outside of a bundle (Launch Wii U Basic set), has sold through the market. Personally I haven't seen a Basic bundle in ages either, what about you?

Every other bundle is part of the $299 price drop except the MK8+wheel+wiimote pack, which is a little more but less than the premium bundle at launch.
Yeah, and I'm quite thankful for it. As strange as it sounds, handheld titles seem to have more originality and risks on new ideas compared to consoles. Due to development costs, consoles tend to have your usual franchises, reused assets, etc. I feel like companies are starting to see that mid tier games are perfectly fine on console/handheld. Now it's just a matter of waiting for Square to realize that more instead of focusing on just mobile gaming.
Japanese console and handheld market is dying a slow, painful death, more so consoles. Dedicated handhelds are bigger than consoles in Japan, but are also way down from their peak sales...or even 2012.

That and Japanese devs tough transition to HD last gen are pushing them to mobile. It sucks, but the best we can do here in the west is continue to support dedicated console, handhelds...and oh yeah, ignore those terrible smartphone F2P titles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
They still have the basic in stock, but as far as I know, they're used/refurbished on my part.

I don't see them in front of any store. Also, A huge clearance sale on Target may be happening soon as they want to get rid of the gaming section, but this is in canada right now. I'm not sure if they will do the same thing to to all other stores across the nation.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
They still have the basic in stock, but as far as I know, they're used/refurbished on my part.

I don't see them in front of any store. Also, A huge clearance sale on Target may be happening soon as they want to get rid of the gaming section, but this is in canada right now. I'm not sure if they will do the same thing to to all other stores across the nation.
Target Canada put the no bundle Basics on clearance (149.99 CDN) nearly a year ago. A very rare Target or 2 might still have them. Walmart Canada also put there's on clearance for a slightly higher price a few weeks earlier (199.00 CDN.) Shame if Target want to get rid of their gaming section though.

Can't say for US. I know here in Canada the basic without a bundle has sold through the market. If you're talking about the Skylanders or Wii Party U bundles, I dunno.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I'm VERY happy with my 32 GB Wii U. I play the drop-dead gorgeous Mario Kart 8 on it almost everyday and when I finally get tired of it I'm going to sink my teeth in to Pikmin 3 which I got for free.

Mostly I got my Deluxe Wii U for Super Smash Bros. IV but it's nice having other games to play on it in the meantime. I'm so satisfied that I may even skip getting a PS4 as longs as plenty of games keep coming to the Wii U and the Xbox 360.

Top Bottom