• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Interesting, I never really thought of it like that. I was actually about eight years old when the GCN came out and I'm in college now. I'm guilty of posting about how much love that console and it's games to death. As far as I know, the N64 went through something similar. During its lifespan it was known as "that console that has one or two incredible games a year but not much else." And yet these days certain people act like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

On that note, I would like to add that adults posting about their childhood Nintendo games does increase their popularity. I don't think it's always the same pool of people praising these games. Surely constantly hearing about all of these awesome games that you missed during your childhood is bound to get some people who grew up with an Xbox or PS2 to check out said GCN titles. That's pretty much how the PS2 went for me.

Yeah the nostalgia hits hard, especially since Nintendo has the most memorable games and most chance that you've played them during childhood. But when talking about old consoles, Nintendo doesn't want you buying up Gamecube games or n64 titles outside of the eshop. Supposedly it hurts their current sales.

finalark

SNORLAX
Yeah the nostalgia hits hard, especially since Nintendo has the most memorable games and most chance that you've played them during childhood. But when talking about old consoles, Nintendo doesn't want you buying up Gamecube games or n64 titles outside of the eshop. Supposedly it hurts their current sales.

Links, would you kindly?

On the offhand, I can say that much is true regarding Mario games. I already have Mario 64 on Virtual Console and I still have my old Sunshine disk lying around. Hell, since Mario Galaxy is $20 now I'll probably pick it up so I can replay it since the friend I borrowed it from initially no longer lives near me. I guess in my case it's just that Mario games tend to be very similar to the point where I really don't feel that compelled to buy new ones, since they rarely provide anything I can't get from replaying World for the millionth time.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Links, would you kindly?

On the offhand, I can say that much is true regarding Mario games. I already have Mario 64 on Virtual Console and I still have my old Sunshine disk lying around. Hell, since Mario Galaxy is $20 now I'll probably pick it up so I can replay it since the friend I borrowed it from initially no longer lives near me. I guess in my case it's just that Mario games tend to be very similar to the point where I really don't feel that compelled to buy new ones, since they rarely provide anything I can't get from replaying World for the millionth time.

It really just coincides with how aggressive they were towards lets plays and EVO. I don't have any specific links but it's a theory. For instance, they don't make new Wii games at all anymore and cut it off right as Wii U was launched.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
One possible thing that can support your theory, Nat, is the fact that a lot of the old (and we're talking old) games are so far removed from circulation that Nintendo can't make a profit off of their physical counterparts. Hell, you can't even backorder that kinda stuff from the company, even at an exorbitant price. Every sale of an old NES, SNES, or even N64 cart goes to line the pocket of the individual or company that sells it, simply because they don't actually MAKE it anymore. I'm not one hundred percent sure this can apply to GC and Wii games, but I imagine we're heading down that road.

Smooth Criminal

finalark

SNORLAX
It really just coincides with how aggressive they were towards lets plays and EVO. I don't have any specific links but it's a theory. For instance, they don't make new Wii games at all anymore and cut it off right as Wii U was launched.
That's not entirely unheard of, though. Most companies tend to not focus on publishing titles on their old hardware when new ones come out. Hell, when the Wii came out Nintendo pretty much stuffed the GCN in the closet and the same goes for the N64.

One possible thing that can support your theory, Nat, is the fact that a lot of the old (and we're talking old) games are so far removed from circulation that Nintendo can't make a profit off of their physical counterparts. Hell, you can't even backorder that kinda stuff from the company, even at an exorbitant price. Every sale of an old NES, SNES, or even N64 cart goes to line the pocket of the individual or company that sells it, simply because they don't actually MAKE it anymore. I'm not one hundred percent sure this can apply to GC and Wii games, but I imagine we're heading down that road.

Smooth Criminal

On the other hand, Nintendo has managed to fulfill the demand for old games via downloadable games. I can understand how this was a problem during the GCN/Xbox/PS2 era when the idea of consoles making heavy use of the internet was in its early stages but now if you can digitally own nearly any old game worth owning on your Wii/Wii U. However, if Nintendo really feels like people's interest in GCN games is hurting Wii U sales why don't they just capitalize on it by providing digital copies on the E Shop?

Of course, sometimes companies just make poor decisions like that.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409

Smooth Criminal

They are for sure. Nintendo hasn't made jack for Gamecube in years. And even if you aren't able to get your hands on a GC game emulators often take over.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Gotta confirm that with 3D World, you'll be getting a lot of lives. Top of the flagpole doesn't give you lives, but the amount of coins more than makes up for it.
However, if you're playing multiplayer, you will be using them.
I went from 70~ lives down to 0 in about two levels of 3-player.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I never got too many lives. I had around 30 or 40 first playthrough until I got to World-Castle...I must have lost 20 lives on a single level. Ended the game with something like 5 or 6.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Just got mine Wii U today, with New Super Mario Bros U, New Super Luigi U, Super Mario 3D World, and Sonic: Lost World. I was planning on waiting until Super Smash Bros came out to buy one, but I just could not pass up on that awesome Mario Wii U bundle.

Anyhow, the console looks pretty cool so far, though I have not actually set it up yet. The game pad is much larger than I imagined, not that I am complaining. Hmm...I guess I will try Sonic: Lost World first.

With that, hopefully the Wii U sales will pick up in the near future!

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Got a Wii U today, Mario & Luigi bundle. Black, 32GB. I think I got it for $100 more than my Wii was.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Wonderful 101 is 29.99 at Target and other places. Seem to be an actual price cut, so now's a good time to try it out.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I've only played through the three parts of Mission 001, but it's already shaping up to be one of my favorite action games. Really looking forward to what it throws at me next.

I hope more people will pick it up at that price.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Well, I just finished The Wonderful 101's story mode. I haven't seen something so consistently one up itself since Gurren Lagann. Every operation brought something new and I was enjoying almost every minute of it.

Forget about this being the best action game, The Wonderful 101 has been one of the most enjoyable games I have ever played. It's certainly not flawless, a few of the experimental mini-games didn't work out too well, but so much of the game was a perfect fit for me.

Really, the gameplay is phenomenal, there's so many ways you can approach a fight and I'm still learning new things I can do. The music is great all around. I even found the story to be a lot of fun, and pretty funny at times too.
Oh, and this game has without a doubt the best QTEs I have ever seen in any video game, not only was I not disappointed when they showed up, I was looking forward to them. They're all timed greatly and you have plenty of warning, they pretty much exist for style during cutscenes and it works.

It is now my game of 2013(sorry SMTIV) and I have a feeling I'm still going to be playing it well into 2014.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Finally had enough leftover money to buy myself a copy of TW101. Going to try and start it over the weekend.
Most of what I've played was from the demo and at friends', but I've wanted to buy it for so long.

I want to finish my replay of Majora's Mask first though.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Despite the fact that I am working on several games right now, I've already started Hard mode in The Wonderful 101. I don't think I'll be able to set this game down until I at least get all the secret characters, which means I'll ultimately need to get all the bottle caps.

Luckily I don't have to worry about Pure Platinums, getting that on the normal Prologue took a lot for me(and only because of that Kahkoo-regah.)
Secret characters first, then I can think about perfecting missions. Either way, looks like I'm going to get a lot out of this game.

KingKirb

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo needs to stop with the motion controls. Personally the Gamecube and 64 were my favorite consoles and they need to get back to their roots. I dont find motion controls fun and I think a lot of people agree that Nintendo needs to focus on making games not gimmicks. Just my two cents. I'll still buy it for smash... is that sad?

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Nintendo needs to stop with the motion controls. Personally the Gamecube and 64 were my favorite consoles and they need to get back to their roots. I dont find motion controls fun and I think a lot of people agree that Nintendo needs to focus on making games not gimmicks. Just my two cents. I'll still buy it for smash... is that sad?
Not sad at all as I'm buying a Wii U just for Smash and Mario Kart.

finalark

SNORLAX
No, plus you get to play all of the amazing exclusives the console will have years before anyone else when the masses inevitably look back at the Wii U and praise it for its unique exclusives and wonder how they could have passed up on an amazing console. All while ignoring Nintendo's then-current efforts while slinging mud at them.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
So, we got recent news that Nintendo's going to release DS games on Wii U Virtual console.

...wwwwwwhhhyyyyyyyy?

I mean, the DS era's pretty old, but not THAT old. Besides that, we can still play DS games on the 3DS. What warrants the DS as priority source for old games when we STILL haven't seen Gamecube or GBA games on the Virtual Console store yet. (Hell, they even gave away GBA games as part of the Ambassador program a while ago. So they CLEARLY have the power to emulate them.)

Nintendo, you're a gift to the world. But, you make bad decisions sometimes.

finalark

SNORLAX
So, we got recent news that Nintendo's going to release DS games on Wii U Virtual console.

...wwwwwwhhhyyyyyyyy?

I mean, the DS era's pretty old, but not THAT old. Besides that, we can still play DS games on the 3DS. What warrants the DS as priority source for old games when we STILL haven't seen Gamecube or GBA games on the Virtual Console store yet. (Hell, they even gave away GBA games as part of the Ambassador program a while ago. So they CLEARLY have the power to emulate them.)

Nintendo, you're a gift to the world. But, you make bad decisions sometimes.
WAIT.

WAIT.

A DS PLAYER IS WHAT I'VE WANTED EVERY SINCE THE WII U WAS ANNOUNCED. Sure, its just downloadable games but I will gladly pay $10-$15 per game to play DS games on the the big screen.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
WAIT.

WAIT.

A DS PLAYER IS WHAT I'VE WANTED EVERY SINCE THE WII U WAS ANNOUNCED. Sure, its just downloadable games but I will gladly pay $10-$15 per game to play DS games on the the big screen.

is there more that wanted this?

If so, Nintendo at least knew who they were targetting. But I still don't think there's enough to help Nintendo's slow decline.

finalark

SNORLAX

is there more that wanted this?

If so, Nintendo at least knew who they were targetting. But I still don't think there's enough to help Nintendo's slow decline.
Nintendo has supposedly been "declining" since the N64 era. People naysay the **** out of them now, then in ten years they'll be praising the Wii U while hypocritically giving their current console ****. Its the Nintendo cycle.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Nintendo has supposedly been "declining" since the N64 era. People naysay the **** out of them now, then in ten years they'll be praising the Wii U while hypocritically giving their current console ****. Its the Nintendo cycle.
I was too young to understand what was happening around me in the N64 era, or the Gamecube era. So I wouldn't know. For Nintendo's sake, I hope you're right.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I'm having trouble seeing how putting games from a popular system on a system that isn't selling well is a bad thing. Perhaps they managed to to get DS emulation working before GBA/GCN, I dunno.

When's Megaman Zero Collection + the two ZX?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
While it doesn't hurt, I don't think it'll help the Wii U too much. 256x192 converted for an HDTV won't be too amazing. And going by the rate Wii U's current output is on its VC, I won't be holding my breath for a steady flow of games.

finalark

SNORLAX
While it doesn't hurt, I don't think it'll help the Wii U too much. 256x192 converted for an HDTV won't be too amazing. And going by the rate Wii U's current output is on its VC, I won't be holding my breath for a steady flow of games.
Honestly, I would have preferred an actual DS player that you hook up to your Wii U, like the GB player for GCN. I guess beggar's can't be choosers though.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Honestly, I would have preferred an actual DS player that you hook up to your Wii U, like the GB player for GCN. I guess beggar's can't be choosers though.
This...
3DS would be even better. The GCN GB Player is the best thing ever.

finalark

SNORLAX
I was too young to understand what was happening around me in the N64 era, or the Gamecube era. So I wouldn't know. For Nintendo's sake, I hope you're right.
For example, in the PS1/N64/SAT era, people were jumping ship to the PS1 like crazy due to the N64's questionable controller, reliance on expensive cartridges (N64 carts were around $60-$80 new while PS1 games were around $40-$60 new). The fact that the console only saw a few good releases each year compared to the PS1's constantly stream of high quality games caused the console to earn the reputation of being a system that saw one or two amazing releases a year, but not much else. Hell, between the N64, PS1 and SAT, the N64 did the worst domestically and didn't even hold a candle to the sales of the PS1 world wide. This doesn't sound like the general opinion of the N64 these days, does it?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I just remembered that Nintendo said they're bringing GBA VC to the Wii U. :/
For example, in the PS1/N64/SAT era, people were jumping ship to the PS1 like crazy due to the N64's questionable controller, reliance on expensive cartridges (N64 carts were around $60-$80 new while PS1 games were around $40-$60 new). The fact that the console only saw a few good releases each year compared to the PS1's constantly stream of high quality games caused the console to earn the reputation of being a system that saw one or two amazing releases a year, but not much else. Hell, between the N64, PS1 and SAT, the N64 did the worst domestically and didn't even hold a candle to the sales of the PS1 world wide. This doesn't sound like the general opinion of the N64 these days, does it?
Yeah, definitely. Although in my case, I still think that way (but I'm biased for SNES). There's probably only a few N64 games I truly like. The droughts on that console were pretty bad which was why I ended up getting a PS1 instead. For me, I put the GC and Wii over the N64 when comparing libraries.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Pretty much what Minato said, only put the SNES library in front of the GC and Wii libraries for me, and the PS1/PS2 over all of them. xD

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Pretty much what Minato said, only put the SNES in front of the GC and Wii libraries for me, and the PS1/PS2 over all of them. xD

Smooth Criminal
I second this. IMO the PS2 is the greatest console of all time for its massive library that provides high-quality titles regardless of what kind of games you like. Plus you also get access to the entire PS1 library, which is also ****ing awesome. Hell, the only think that sucks about the PS2 is that local multiplayer sucks on it. Yeah, you have stuff like SouCalibur and Tekken if you want a two player game but the PS2 isn't the best console for parties.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
And that ****ing multiplayer adapter was not only pricey, it was rare as an owl's tooth. I had to order mine, even at the height of the console's popularity when they were ****ting out peripherals left and right.

Smooth Criminal

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Out of curiosity, but has anyone else played The Wonderful 101?
I have. Played through 5 missions though. I don't think I actually like it as much as I wanted to. But it may end up being one of those games I don't care about and years later start to lol

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
The Wonderful 101 was my favorite game in 2013. I need to go back and unlock everything, but I have other games to play for now.

Top Bottom