• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Already saw this elsewhere, but I really doubt Nintendo would do an SKU without a Gamepad.
Some people did suggest an upgrade pack for existing Wii owners, which means none of the cables come in the 250 one.

I honestly think these 3 SKUs are just placeholders while one of them might turn out to be a real one.
If it does turn out that the lowest price is 250, I'll be buying one.

Still feels odd for Nintendo to have 3 SKUs at launch since it seems unlike them.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
If these prices turn out to be official then I'll definitely be tempted to buy one. Though I'd need to hear more about the 350 dollar package.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, given the article states that the rumor mill is from an accurate source, I do like the tidbits provided. Honestly though, what my biggest thing to look forward to is side quests/towns. I mean, heavily populated towns with each npc having something to be done would be quite awesome.

And so long as this game isn't like SS (which I was meh about), I'll be fine. So many fetch quests...

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Ahh, words cannot describe what I feel right now as I am a huge fan of Zelda games. I wonder if these rumors are true, if they are then it's certainly looking to be the best Zelda game ever to date.

I would like if they introduced the Zelda world more openly, with less segments (like how Skyrim is like). Imagine having a huge dungeon that is like a cave, but you don't need to keep going trough doors and more doors (unless for the ones that are locked). We would still have puzzles to solve, only difference is that we will solve the puzzles in these so "new open-world and dungeons".

The Zelda universe is gorgeous, would be even more gorgeous if we can admire it as freely as possible.

I wonder how interactive will the Wii U GamePad be, and how effectively Nintendo will put it to use. I can imagine already a few items that would make use of the 2nd screen.

Anyway, I hope these rumors end up being true. :bee:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Lame. Can we get some more IPs that aren't Zelda or Mario? I know they sell, but you start to get sick of hearing those names all the time. Especially with how lame SS and TP were. (I had fun while playing them, but they weren't great Zelda games.)

:phone:

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Lame. Can we get some more IPs that aren't Zelda or Mario? I know they sell, but you start to get sick of hearing those names all the time. Especially with how lame SS and TP were. (I had fun while playing them, but they weren't great Zelda games.)

I enjoyed both TP and SS. Plus the new one isn't coming out till 2014. Plus we did get another IP for once, Pikmin 3 is coming to the Wii U. I'm sure there will be more IP's.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Nintendo has been pushing other IPs lately though. Wii's had a lot (besides Starfox and F-Zero).
Not having a real Mario title at launch feels wrong anyways. That was one of the reasons that annoyed me for the GCN.

Nintendo has a ton of teams, so you can expect that they're already working on multiple IPs for Wii U.
But yeah, Pikmin 3 is plenty enough to get me hype for a launch window IP that's not Mario.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I enjoyed both TP and SS. Plus the new one isn't coming out till 2014. Plus we did get another IP for once, Pikmin 3 is coming to the Wii U. I'm sure there will be more IP's.
Well, TP and SS were certainly enjoyable, but they weren't the greatest thing ever. (Especially TP. People give that game way too much credit.).

Yes, Pikmin 3 is coming out. Sadly, I never really cared much for Pikmin.

What bugs me is that it takes more than two years to crank out something that is not Mario or Zelda.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Don't have many memories of TP, but SS was the biggest overhyped/nostalgic reviewed game I have seen in a long time. No way in hell does it deserve the Metacritic score it has. The game has too many flaws IMO. I also can't wait until the Nintendo Fanboys turn heel and praise Zelda for being this wide open world game, when they always trashed Skyrim, Fallout, or any other huge sandbox games like Assassin's Creed.

That's the problem with Nintendo. They are a bit reluctant to outsource their IPs to other developers. What I like about Sony is that they give independent studios a shot at their own games, and assuming they do well, Sony buys them, and in a sense absorbs them into the Sony umbrella. So everything from Naughty Dog to Santa Monica are companies originally that were not part of Sony, but now are.

Nintendo should be more open to this strategy. Not only can they push developers to make their own IPs, which in a sense become Nintendo IPs, but they can also try and trust them with their IPs that need more games. I'm talking about F-Zero, Star Fox, a Yoshi Game, and one I yearn is for a Waluigi game. Retro Studios seems to be the only team Nintendo trusts.

finalark

SNORLAX
Well, TP and SS were certainly enjoyable, but they weren't the greatest thing ever. (Especially TP. People give that game way too much credit.).

Are you kidding? Most Zelda fans have incredible amounts of hate for TP. Usually its for bull**** reasons but still.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I also can't wait until the Nintendo Fanboys turn heel and praise Zelda for being this wide open world game, when they always trashed Skyrim, Fallout, or any other huge sandbox games like Assassin's Creed.
Statements like this are pretty ********. Like, im sure you know of a good handful of people who like Zelda+complain about Skyrim but unless you somehow have mass insight into the millions of people who actually play nintendo games it's just a really really stupid statement.

Also as someone who likes Zelda but not the elder scrolls series in it's entirety, I'd like to say it has literally nothing to do with the game being a sandbox. Sandbox games are awesome. It has more to do with the fact that the core gameplay is pretty ****ing boring. I dont really care how huge your world is if it's not actually fun to play in it. I do love me some New Vegas though.

finalark

SNORLAX
Nintendo should be more open to this strategy. Not only can they push developers to make their own IPs, which in a sense become Nintendo IPs, but they can also try and trust them with their IPs that need more games. I'm talking about F-Zero, Star Fox, a Yoshi Game, and one I yearn is for a Waluigi game. Retro Studios seems to be the only team Nintendo trusts.
True that. The last time they did that it was to big name companies (aside from Retro). Minish Cap for Capcom and F-Zero GX for SEGA.

I want to see a western developed Zelda game. That would be awesome.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
That's the problem with Nintendo. They are a bit reluctant to outsource their IPs to other developers. What I like about Sony is that they give independent studios a shot at their own games, and assuming they do well, Sony buys them, and in a sense absorbs them into the Sony umbrella. So everything from Naughty Dog to Santa Monica are companies originally that were not part of Sony, but now are.

Wait, what? There's Brownie Brown (which is owned by Nintendo like Retro iirc), Capcom, Sega, Next Level Games, Team Ninja, Bandai Namco, and so forth.
The only games Nintendo has worked on their own is actually dwindling down mostly Mario, Zelda, and Pikmin.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233

Are you kidding? Most Zelda fans have incredible amounts of hate for TP. Usually its for bull**** reasons but still.
Really? For what I heard, people actually liked the game and labeled it as "good."

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
What's "bad" about Twilight Princess?
It wasn't "bad" either. It was just OK. My biggest beef with the game was the fact that the items were pretty much useless outside of their dungeons except for special instances. (Dominion Rod and the Spinner are good examples of this.)

Everything was also pretty much streamlined. I never really had to adventure much in that game, unless you were heading for a 100% run.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Statements like this are pretty ********. Like, im sure you know of a good handful of people who like Zelda+complain about Skyrim but unless you somehow have mass insight into the millions of people who actually play nintendo games it's just a really really stupid statement.
You missed my entire statement. So before you call me a "******" again (which I find offensive), let me be clear on my point.

I said "Nintendo fanboys". If Nintendo fanboys to you are every single Nintendo console owner or as you put it, "millions" of fans, then that's your definition. MY DEFINITION is those who endlessly worship Miyamoto like he came down from the heavens, hence the term fanboy. I've essentially posted my definition of a "fanboy" several times on here and other threads. I don't blame you at all if you didn't recognize it. However, every console or brand has those people, and I find Nintendo fanboys to be the most obnoxious and prevalent when it comes to gaming.

And I would like for you to apologize, because I don't appreciate being called a "********".

Also as someone who likes Zelda but not the elder scrolls series in it's entirety, I'd like to say it has literally nothing to do with the game being a sandbox. Sandbox games are awesome. It has more to do with the fact that the core gameplay is pretty ****ing boring. I dont really care how huge your world is if it's not actually fun to play in it. I do love me some New Vegas though.
I like how you signal out Skyrim, but refuse to acknowledge the other franchises I pointed out. You missed my point again. These same fanboys will not care about big/open world or sanboxed games, but if one of their own Nintendo franchises shows up with something similar, they will turn heel and praise. That is essentially the definition of ANY fanboy, but as I said earlier...Nintendo ones are the most obnoxious.

Wait, what? There's Brownie Brown (which is owned by Nintendo like Retro iirc), Capcom, Sega, Next Level Games, Team Ninja, Bandai Namco, and so forth.
The only games Nintendo has worked on their own is actually dwindling down mostly Mario, Zelda, and Pikmin.
Dude...most of those companies make games for other consoles as well lol. As I said in my post, Sony will BUY development teams so they can't go and make games for other consoles. Nintendo needs its own team to rely on like that. You missed my whole point on why I like the strategy Sony employs. It's a big reason why they can roll out so many of their "IPs" on a consistent basis.

finalark

SNORLAX
It wasn't "bad" either. It was just OK. My biggest beef with the game was the fact that the items were pretty much useless outside of their dungeons except for special instances. (Dominion Rod and the Spinner are good examples of this.)

Everything was also pretty much streamlined. I never really had to adventure much in that game, unless you were heading for a 100% run.

So every LoZ game since OoT?

finalark

SNORLAX
More like ever since Wind Waker. I never thought that that game was streamlined and the items were helpful outside of their dungeons.

I never got what was with all of "Streamlining" hate. I'd take running down a narrow and set path over wandering around for hours with no clue on what the game wants you to do next.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I never got what was with all of "Streamlining" hate. I'd take running down a narrow and set path over wandering around for hours with no clue on what the game wants you to do next.
It depends on what you prefer. I actually like exploring, so long as the world is interesting to explore.

finalark

SNORLAX
It depends on what you prefer. I actually like exploring, so long as the world is interesting to explore.

I too enjoy exploring. But there's a fine line between "encouraging exploration" and "wander around until you eventually maybe stumble upon where the game wants you to be."

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
When I first got the top in TP, I thought it was going to be something cool like I could ride around on top of it and it goes faster than walking or some weird thing after link got on top of it.

It didn't

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I played TP once, and since then have forgotten about it. Really the only games I know for good memory are OoT, MM, and SS simply cause it's the most recent.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Dude...most of those companies make games for other consoles as well lol. As I said in my post, Sony will BUY development teams so they can't go and make games for other consoles. Nintendo needs its own team to rely on like that. You missed my whole point on why I like the strategy Sony employs. It's a big reason why they can roll out so many of their "IPs" on a consistent basis.
Latest one they've bought is Monolith Soft from Namco. Seems like Nintendo is pretty content for 2nd parties to just make IPs for them and do whatever else they want instead of buying them outright though. That seems to be the relationship for most things like Camelot.

I don't see Nintendo really needing to employ that strategy, imo, until they find something worth buying (like Monolith Soft).
Although I could see them working with Platinum Games more if things work out.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Sony doesn't just go out and buy different studios. They will contract them to make games, and if THEN, after multiple games they find them essentially "worthy", that's when Sony will buy them. Otherwise, it's just a waste of money if you buy a studio out right and they make poor games.

I do think Nintendo needs to do this, or something similar, because it's just a travesty how we cannot get new games for current IPs, let alone new IPs for Nintendo. I mean, outside of Xenoblade, what else has there been for Nintendo of late? Sony has dished out Little Big Planet, Infamous, Uncharted, and Journey as new IPs this generation that come to my head. They have kept strong/revived old ones like the Ratchet and Clank series, God of War, and Twisted Metal.

This was essentially the problem with the Wii. Due to lack of third party support, the role out of first party games was rather slow and painful. Nintendo has a lot of franchises/spin offs to use, and a lot of room to create new IPs. Why not put your faith in these studios? I know the Wii U is going to get its third party support (for now), but they should have a fallback plan in case things go wrong. As I said earlier, I would love to see a new Star Fox and F-Zero game for starters. How long did it take for another Kid Icarus game to come out? How long did it take a Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong Returns to come out?

Sony doesn't just go out and buy different studios. They will contract them to make games, and if THEN, after multiple games they find them essentially "worthy", that's when Sony will buy them. Otherwise, it's just a waste of money if you buy a studio out right and they make poor games.

I do think Nintendo needs to do this, or something similar, because it's just a travesty how we cannot get new games for current IPs, let alone new IPs for Nintendo. I mean, outside of Xenoblade, what else has there been for Nintendo of late? Sony has dished out Little Big Planet, Infamous, Uncharted, and Journey as new IPs this generation that come to my head. They have kept strong/revived old ones like the Ratchet and Clank series, God of War, and Twisted Metal.

This was essentially the problem with the Wii. Due to lack of third party support, the role out of first party games was rather slow and painful. Nintendo has a lot of franchises/spin offs to use, and a lot of room to create new IPs. Why not put your faith in these studios? I know the Wii U is going to get its third party support (for now), but they should have a fallback plan in case things go wrong. As I said earlier, I would love to see a new Star Fox and F-Zero game for starters. How long did it take for another Kid Icarus game to come out? How long did it take a Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong Returns to come out?
I agree with this 100%, which is why i'm treating the Wii U purchase the same as I did the original Wii: I'm buying it for Smash Bros.; anything else is a bonus.

Why? Because Nintendo has continually disregarded franchises that fans want to see and obviously need more representation. Sure Zelda and Mario games are fun but there is a beyond that the amount of enjoyable 3d party games available are few and far between. I've been a Nintendo fan from knee-high to tree-high and I still love them, but they really need to step up their game when it comes to catering to their consumer. I'm honestly considering to just wait until Smash is released to buy a Wii U. Even though I can afford it, I don't feel like spending nearly 300 dollars on what will essentially be a paper weight for a long period of time.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I agree with this 100%, which is why i'm treating the Wii U purchase the same as I did the original Wii: I'm buying it for Smash Bros.; anything else is a bonus.

Why? Because Nintendo has continually disregarded franchises that fans want to see and obviously need more representation. Sure Zelda and Mario games are fun but there is a beyond that the amount of enjoyable 3d party games available are few and far between. I've been a Nintendo fan from knee-high to tree-high and I still love them, but they really need to step up their game when it comes to catering to their consumer. I'm honestly considering to just wait until Smash is released to buy a Wii U. Even though I can afford it, I don't feel like spending nearly 300 dollars on what will essentially be a paper weight for a long period of time.
I'm glad that people get what I'm saying. So Nintendo. Make your other IPs for Wii U and 3DS.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Speaking of studios working for game companies. I heard a rumor that RareWare is having some kind of falling out with Microsoft and might end up working for Nintendo or as a 3rd party. Anyone hear anything?

i agree with this post 110% Everything i ever wanted to say about nintendo, this sums it up right

The quality of Mario games and the amount of baby hand holding is driving me crazy with each new release. I also care VERY little for these very silly and expensive motion controls. Its these silly controls that ruined Skywars Swords playablity in my opinion.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Since Microsoft owns Rareware, Rareware can't exactly say "I don't like you, I want to work with someone else"

wezai

Smash Journeyman
I miss good Banjo Kazooie games, that thing Rare did for the Xbox cannot be considered one. It's just... Just Rare trying to kill the franchise. I get it, it was meant to be a good joke for the veterans, for people to sit down and play the game and recognize old faces feeling a bit of nostalgia and etc etc. But the problem is, it didn't work. On the contrary, it was an "insult" to hardcore fans of the franchise. :(

I think the only solution we have now is if Nintendo make new adventure IPs that have the amount of humor that Banjoo had. They need to hit the sweet spot and fulfill this hole that was left when Banjoo died out in the hands of Rare. A good adventurer that is not Mario, has interesting puzzles, weird voice sounds and lots of humor.

Oh Nintendo, do you have new IPs? We need 'em. But knowing Nintendo, if they get a super innovative and cool idea for a platformer game, they will just put Mario in it and call it a day. While it is not necessarily bad, it does kind make us wanting to have something new once in a awhile.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
OK people, look alive. Nintendo is going to announce the release date and price of the Wii U tomorrow.

Top Bottom