• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

NTA

Smash Lord
Does anyone else use the nun chuck with their right hand and the Wii-mote with their left? I know it's backwards, but for some reason it's always felt more natural for me to use them that way.
Yeah, I have just to see the difference. I just used used which one felt less awkward.

Thino

Smash Master
the sad thing for my poor wallet is that I'm prolly gonna end up getting one regardless of the price because I'll be a sucker for the games , especially when SSB4 comes out

...all my money Nintendo ;.;

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Honestly, I think $500 is too much for any consoles and the Wii-U will be no exception. The most I can see myself paying for it is $400 max.

Also, only Tekken? Don't lie, I know you can't wait for SSB4.
Hmm.. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if it turned up to be that high in price, reason I say this is because it's a "next" generation console, maybe even surpassing the 360 so I wouldn't be surprised if the price was higher, the Wii was $250 at launch to do it being considered as "two gamecubes duct taped together", and I don't believe that will be the case for the Wii-U, that's why I started saving a little bit every paycheck.

As for me only wanting Tekken, yea you caught me, y'know SSB4 is all I talk about, it's HYPE! :cool:

:phone:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
if i format it will i also lose my WII shop data? like alll the VC games i've downlaoded ect? and have to buy em allll over again? ._.;

reason i ask is cuz i've found no solutions to my problem to get warioland shake it to work again, and i'm 99% sure that it happened because of the hacks i had on my wii, where i had to change the IOS or w/e its called.

i can't find the original for download anywhere so my only hope at this point(least i hope it will work) is to format my wii and bring it back to factory settings.

but i DEFINATLY don't wanna have to buy all my VC games all over again....
This is what I've gathered...

http://gbatemp.net/t48468-

Also, on another website, someone said to register your Wii along with what games you have just in case you can't redownload your VC games for free.

Sounds like what's gonna happen is you might lose your save files, but you'll keep the VC games (at least the channels), but you'll have to re-dl them. If you want to keep your saved files, move them to an SD

theeboredone

Smash Legend
What do you mean by "old"? Please clarify..

As for it being $500, yea I guess it's a bit high but nonetheless even if it is a "gimmicky" console and not traditional enough I'm am still willing to pay that much for it, alot of people may not agree with me but I am actually looking forward to this new style of play, besides, I already own a bunch of traditional consoles, I really wouldn't want another one.

Well, let's factor out any potential rumors from Microsoft or Sony about releasing a new console and going with their "10 year" lifecycle. By the time Wii U comes out next year, Sony will have completed 6 years, and Microsoft 7. Yes I expect the Wii U to have better graphics, but it's not going to be something that blows PS3 and 360 out of the water. So with a "slight" upgrade like that + touch screen controller...I'm not paying 500 for. No way. Also, chances are the game lineup won't be as strong say...a year or two down the line. I know they are expecting third party support, but one of my friends who bought the Wii U on launch date owned only Twilight Princess for the longest time before purchasing anything else.

Personally, it's been ages since I blew 500 off on a console...actually, I don't think I ever did. Guess I can live with sitting back and waiting or going to a friend's house and playing it.

finalark

SNORLAX
but one of my friends who bought the Wii U on launch date owned only Twilight Princess for the longest time before purchasing anything else.
Sorry of my Wii life right there :ohwell:

For me, I ended up buying around six games a year for my PS3 while buying maybe two for my Wii. In 2010 the only games I bought for my Wii were Goldeneye and Sonic Colors.

I just hope that the Wii U doesn't end up the same way. And I swear, I will break out into a fit of nerd rage then swiftly get over it if the PS4 and Xbox 720 end up being gimmick consoles too.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I feel like we aren't going to see a massive graphical improvement in the next gen or maybe even the gen after that. It's too expensive and time consuming for little profit from the devs perspective.

and really, who cares? Do people really need graphics that will make PS3 look like crap?

finalark

SNORLAX
I feel like we aren't going to see a massive graphical improvement in the next gen or maybe even the gen after that. It's too expensive and time consuming for little profit on the devs perspective.

and really, who cares? Do people really need graphics that will make PS3 look like crap?
I kind of feel like graphics have gotten as good as they're gonna get without falling into the uncanny valley.

Again, there really isn't much need. If we make graphics even prettier than they are now all that's gonna do is double dev. time from what it is now and bump up the price of production.

OmegaXXII

I know they are expecting third party support, but one of my friends who bought the Wii U on launch date owned only Twilight Princess for the longest time before purchasing anything...
Apperantly I missed out on The Wii U release date. :/

But I do agree, I'm really not expecting the Wii-U to have "realistic" over the top graphics that will leave everyone with their jaws dropped, I'm just expecting a slight improvement over the PS3/360, but I'm certaintly not expecting the price to be as low as the Wii was.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well we'll see. I thought Sony made a smart move in investing in Blu-Rays due to the space on the discs, but even a game like that might be troublesome to put on. If anything, the future might be where consoles have huge hard drives, and the discs are simply installation. That can also mean being able to buy/dl online.

finalark

SNORLAX
Well we'll see. I thought Sony made a smart move in investing in Blu-Rays due to the space on the discs, but even a game like that might be troublesome to put on. If anything, the future might be where consoles have huge hard drives, and the discs are simply installation. That can also mean being able to buy/dl online.
So consoles become computers with controllers?

Well, they kind of are already.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If it came to that point, why would we need consoles in the first place? Just have ALL games on PC

OmegaXXII

Arc Rise Fantasia is pretty generic, but a JRPG.
You say it seems generic but is it actually worth getting?

I've been looking to get either Pandora's Box or XenoBlade from Operation Rainfall but it seems we haven't had much luck with that, much less even get them, it's sad really since those two are my most highly anticipated titles that I would ever get for my Wii as of now.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah I think it's pretty generic. I mean, I'm not saying it's generic because it's turn based or there's "MP" or something like that. Overall, the battle elements, weapons system, armor, accessories are standard things you'd expect. Get money from battle, go to new town, get new set of equipment. Explore dungeon, find some better items. On top of that, acquire summons.

Really, where this game falls flat on its face imo is VA (you'll get used to it, but it's pretty emotionless at times), and the plot. It's not so much what the overall lore is about, but what the characters themselves are about. Out of your main party, only two I cared about, and let's say the main characters wern't included. I mean, the whole reason you HAVE to go save the world is just stupid in its own right.

OmegaXXII

Lol, not to repeat what the other guys said but wouldn't that be considered as a gaming PC with one of the best graphic cards around? The only difference would probably involve a controller of some sort rather than a mouse and keyboard as well as being able to play them on a big tv, but then again there are ways to that as well nowadays.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well I assume that by the time those graphics roll around for Xbox and PS, I don't even want to phantom what an upper tier PC gaming will have. Overall, PC will always be a step ahead, simply because it's easier to constantly upgrade compared to a console.

With that being said, we've already seen Sony put up full games on their stores o_O. LBP and Infamous anyone? While Steam and whatever EA started are PC only, I wouldn't be surprised if the eventually made their way towards consoles.

With all that being said, I do agree with LT that graphics will eventually have a slow down in how far they can go, and consoles will have to become more original in what they provide.

OmegaXXII

Yeah I think it's pretty generic. I mean, I'm not saying it's generic because it's turn based or there's "MP" or something like that. Overall, the battle elements, weapons system, armor, accessories are standard things you'd expect. Get money from battle, go to new town, get new set of equipment. Explore dungeon, find some better items. On top of that, acquire summons.
Funny thing is, I've always prefered JRPG's to be like that, expecting the usual stuff like you mentioned so it's good to know that Arc incorporates that into it's game, even if it does sound generic, I also happen to like SRPG's, even if I don't get to do a lot of exploring, I simply enjoy it due to the challenge that a puzzle provides, figuring out strategies is something I've always enjoy, and in Fire Emblem I found that.

OmegaXXII

I don't think any system graphic wise would be able to improve significantly from what we have already seen, what's next? A Nintendo Virtual Helmet?

Graphics can only go so far that they might as well start making the games look like movies instead.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I don't think any system graphic wise would be able to improve significantly from what we have already seen, what's next? A Nintendo Virtual Helmet?

Graphics can only go so far that they might as well start making the games look like movies instead.

A Nintendo Virtual Helmet would be pretty cool tbh imo. I mean I hate having to flail my arms around with the Wii or w/e, but being able to pick up a real gun right before your eyes and just finish someone off with it would be amazing

Too bad we're probably decades away from that technology and hopefully I live to see that happen :c

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I dunno what to expect in terms of graphical power in the next generation of video game consoles. I mean, some games this gen have managed to push the 360/PS3 to their limits and continue to impress me.

We'll see tho.

D

Deleted member

Hmm.. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if it turned up to be that high in price, reason I say this is because it's a "next" generation console, maybe even surpassing the 360 so I wouldn't be surprised if the price was higher, the Wii was $250 at launch to do it being considered as "two gamecubes duct taped together", and I don't believe that will be the case for the Wii-U, that's why I started saving a little bit every paycheck.

As for me only wanting Tekken, yea you caught me, y'know SSB4 is all I talk about, it's HYPE! :cool:

Nintendo has always been more conservative with pricing. The Wii was the first console from them to go over $250. I would be surprised if it was only $300 and would be shocked if it was over $400.

OmegaXXII

Nintendo has always been more conservative with pricing. The Wii was the first console from them to go over $250. I would be surprised if it was only $300 and would be shocked if it was over $400.
Yea, I see what you are saying but remember that the Wii consisted of "old" technology, therefore it wasn't as much as a PS3 or XBox360 during their launch, what I'm trying to say is since it's gonna be a "beast" of a system Nintendo will most likely up the price more, at least 350 bucks, I'm really not expecting to be as cheap as the current PS3 price, after all it will be a launch day thing and people are already hyped about it, I'm sure Nintendo has or will realize this as well, but if it dies turn out cheap I will sincerly congratulate Nintendo for doing something right, but that's only if.

finalark

SNORLAX
I know but I think it'd be fun to play online with friends and talking on a headset.
I have to agree here. If someone happens and you can't get your friends together for Mario Party you can always play online with them.

Yea, I see what you are saying but remember that the Wii consisted of "old" technology, therefore it wasn't as much as a PS3 or XBox360 during their launch, what I'm trying to say is since it's gonna be a "beast" of a system Nintendo will most likely up the price more, at least 350 bucks, I'm really not expecting to be as cheap as the current PS3 price, after all it will be a launch day thing and people are already hyped about it, I'm sure Nintendo has or will realize this as well, but if it dies turn out cheap I will sincerly congratulate Nintendo for doing something right, but that's only if.

You do realize that all of Nintendo's systems have always been $200 at launch? It wasn't until the Wii that they go over. I'm honestly expecting $300 for the Wii U.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm personally gonna avoid any headset stuff unless I know I'm playing with friends. I anticipate one too many whiny kids on a game like MP. :urg:
I generally only play with headsets in cooperative game modes. I avoid it in competitive modes because I really don't want to hear twelve year olds talking about doing things they only vaguely understand to my mother.

And even then cooperative isn't safe either :c

Top Bottom