• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

finalark

SNORLAX
Why the hell is the 3DS Mario Kart going to be called Mario Kart 7?

Seriously? They start numbering them now? This bothers me a lot more than it should.
I have to agree. Its pretty jarring when they've gone with subtitles for so long then suddenly decided to give the series numbers out of nowhere. Hopefully its a place holder name.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I like the title actually. Mario Kart 3D would be no different from Mario Kart Wii or Mario Kart DS or Mario Kart 64. Titles like Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Mario Kart: Double Dash! and Mario Kart 7 have an individuality to them. I think 7 has a certain flair to it. The Mario Kart logo is sleeker now as opposed to the 'woodblock' lettering of classic Mario that went out the window with Mario Kart DS, so such a title as Mario Kart 7 is warranted.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I'm liking the different mechanics its going to utilize such as underwater for instance.

I would like to see a so called Mario Kart 8 for the Wii-U in the future though.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I like the title actually. Mario Kart 3D would be no different from Mario Kart Wii or Mario Kart DS or Mario Kart 64. Titles like Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Mario Kart: Double Dash! and Mario Kart 7 have an individuality to them. I think 7 has a certain flair to it. The Mario Kart logo is sleeker now as opposed to the 'woodblock' lettering of classic Mario that went out the window with Mario Kart DS, so such a title as Mario Kart 7 is warranted.
I wouldn't mind a subtitle, but I don't think Mario Kart 7 has a flair to it at all...it's the 7th Mario Kart game. it's about as plain white bread as you can get.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm liking the different mechanics its going to utilize such as underwater for instance.

I would like to see a so called Mario Kart 8 for the Wii-U in the future though.
IDK, I hardly consider driving underwater a mechanic. Same with the gliding, more like gimmicks really.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah well, I don't think that's gonna be Vita's primary function. I mean...it's a gimmick like the Move and nothing else. The PS3 is still about the Dual Shock controller.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
The PS Vita wasn't advertised that well to be compatible as a controller with the PS3. The Wii U controller (obv.) was.

I think it won't catch on.

finalark

SNORLAX
I have to side with F8AL on this one. Using the Vita as a controller for the PS3 looks more like it will be advertised as a feature while Nintendo is going "OMG HANDHELD IS ALSO A CONTROLLER LOOK AT US WE ARE SO ORIGINAL AND GIMMICKY!"

Shanadeus

Smash Rookie
I've been reading some spec speculation over at Beyond3D and at the moment, to sum it up, they are saying this:

The difference between the Wii U and the Xbawx720/PS4 will be in terms of PC graphics the difference between minimum to high settings. They'll all probably be able to play the same games, on the same engines, but certain graphical effects and whatnot will have to be reduced in order for the game to be (easily) ported to the Wii U from the others.

But Nintendo haven't even shared the specs of the system with the devs that have received the devkits, which suggest that they are still in the process of changing them. With Nintendo paying for their arrogance when it comes to the 3DS it might very well mean that they'll view the Wii U in a different light, and work a lot harder at making it a commercial success.

I'm sure that they've already learnt their branding lesson, with new 3DS ads such as "This is not DS, this is 3DS", and will apply what they've learnt in the marketing and presentation of the Wii U. Perhaps they'll focus on the peripheral back-wards compatibility of the system, and try to sell it to the existing causal Wii-owners on the saved costs they'll have by moving all their Wii-peripherals to the Wii U which will make full use of them.

This is why I doubt that they will go back on the singular Upad design, as it'd remove the position as standard controller that the Wiimotes have at the moment - which would mean giving up the very alluring bullet point above. Adding in support for multiple Upads, even if it's left to the consumer, will make the system seem awfully expensive as your average joe look at the controller section and notices how darn expensive they are (or nintendo sell them at break-even or at a loss, which might be just as bad).

Instead, they'll probably focus on highlighting how the Upad is a complimentary controller, meant to supplement the Wiimotes when it comes to multiplayer and only used in a normal controller fashion in single-player and online multiplayer games.

While you and 3 others are playing with the Wiimotes/CC, the Upad is in its dock on the table and displaying various of game-dependant information.

Perhaps a scoreboard, with K/D-ratios and session achievements.
Perhaps a tournament view, which non-playing contestants can study and perhaps change their character's costume while the current match progresses.
Perhaps a videocall, so that you and your team can directly face off online with another team.

Basically, it should be looked at as an enhancer of current gaming, of current controls, instead of as an outright replacement of the Wiimote(Motion+) - which will be the true standard controller.

If Nintendo gets their concept as well as marketing right, that it's meant to enhance your current gaming just as much as it is meant to provide you with novel forms of gaming (asymmetrical local multiplayer comes in mind, or just using it for online-multiplayer/singleplayer), and sell a sufficiently strong console at a sufficiently low price-point then I think that they might have a winning recipe.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, the difference between a minimum setting game, and a high setting game can be quite different. Crysis 2? Battlefield 3? Elder Scrolls Skyrim?

Personally, I want the "Ucontroller" to be used as a legitimate controller and not some gimmick. I think it's neat that you can use it as a scoreboard, tourny bracket, item menu, etc. but I'm not gonna shell out money for a new console, just so the new feature is that. I would like to see if Nintendo can make this into a legitimate controller. I mean, you won't be using this in competitive fighters, but say games like Mario, Zelda, or even Assassin's Creed.

OmegaXXII

LOL, I believe that article was mostly referring to it's website domain that it wants or wanted to acquire, I really don't see or care how they name it, in the end all I want is a good system that will satisfy and fulfill my gaming needs.

:phone:

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Wii u ended up on the latest popular science issue. Changing the game experience forever.

And if nintendo decides to make a new game console after this, it's gonna be a tv.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
New European Wii model loses GameCube compatibility

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/17/new-european-wii-model-loses-gamecube-compatibility/

http://kotaku.com/5831667/the-wii-gets-a-redesign

Nintendo has announced a new "value Wii" for the region, though no price was given. The new Wii, according to Nintendo UK, is designed to sit horizontally instead of vertically (although the original Wii can technically do both, so we aren't sure what the distinction is). The other major alteration is the loss of GameCube backward compatibility -- both games and accessories.

This new model will be released sometime before Christmas, in a bundle with a Wii Remote Plus, Nunchuk, Wii Party and Wii Sports.
Weird, I didn't think they needed to redesign the Wii. IMO, it looks better when placed upwards instead of horizontally. And I guess they'll lower the price of this model since it won't play GCN games. (Even tho the Wii is 2 gamecubes duct taped together.)

Oh, and Skyward Sword is being released in Europe on November 18th and 20th for NA.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
@F8AL: Yup. It's a stupid idea just done to make the casual gamers get used to other controllers when the Wii U is released.

Also it's November, not September for Skyward Sword.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
@F8AL: Yup. It's a stupid idea just done to make the casual gamers get used to other controllers when the Wii U is released.

Also it's November, not September for Skyward Sword.
Does anyone even use GC controllers for games other than Brawl? I switched to the CC a long time ago and it's just fine and dandy.

OmegaXXII

Dude, that would have totally sucked if the Wii were to released that the first time it launched, thank god our Wii have GNC compatability, it's great.

I'm guessing Nintendo is finally ditching GNC due to money contraints, much like Sony did with it's 20GB & 60GB launch models, well I can't blame them since there main focus will be on the upcoming Wii-U.

Top Bottom