• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Sensai

Smash Master
Are they worth picking up? I have a 'cube, but never felt attracted to any of 'em. Now that they're cheap, however, and I have a 32' TV in my room (along with my 'cube), I can play them whenever.

So...are they worth it? And how many are there (and what systems)? Sorry for the lack of information concerning these titles...they came out right before my 'I like weird ****' phase.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Paper Mario is for N64 and will no doubt be released on the VC sometime (though probably not soon). Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door is for the Cube.

And you have a 32 foot TV? Amazing. Seriously.

Sensai

Smash Master
Cashed said:
is for N64 and will no doubt be released on the VC sometime (though probably not soon). Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door is for the Cube.

And you have a 32 foot TV? Amazing. Seriously.
Touche. But with the accent type thing. I apparentally lost a ' somewhere....anyone seen it?

Alright. I'll just wait for the 64 game on the VC and snatch it up when that happens. I guess I'll work on getting the GC game though...

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
What disappointed me about Paper Mario 2 was the fact that it was more like "Sprite" Mario instead of paper. . .instead of trying to make everything really seem like paper, they just opted to use large, brightly colored sprites. Oh well.

Sensai, if you've played the Godliness That Is Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga on the GBA, then Paper Mario 2 is basically the same thing, but longer with a bit more depth. To be honest, I really thought that the humor in ML: SS was better than PM2, but mostly everyone else thinks otherwise.

It's a very fun game though--pretty interactive, since you have to time button presses to defend/attack, and there's no random battles since all enemies are on-screen. Overall, it's one of the better GC games out there.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You really should try Paper Mario: TTYD. You can find it new for about $20 at some places, and it's well worth it at that price. I'm looking forward to Super Paper Mario.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
What disappointed me about Paper Mario 2 was the fact that it was more like "Sprite" Mario instead of paper. . .instead of trying to make everything really seem like paper, they just opted to use large, brightly colored sprites. Oh well.
I thought I was the only one who noticed this. The whole time I was playing I kept thinking "it just doesn't look like paper".

Sensai

Smash Master
Neat. Cool. I'll go out and pick it up with some of my birthday cash....'cause today's my birthday and all.

w00t.

On to some news!

Q1 release date for the Wii. Not too many titles (12 here), but some of them are ok....although there aren't many 1st party titles.

Ones of notice, IMO, are bolded, with the rest of the list being posted:

Feb. 14 Wii Play with Wii Remote Nintendo
March 27 Disney's Meet the Robinsons Buena Vista
March Bust-A-Move Bash Majesco
March Prince of Persia Rival Swords Ubisoft
March TMNT (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) Ubisoft
March Bionicle Heroes Eidos
March Blazing Angels Squadrons of WWII Ubisoft
Q1 Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 EA
Q1 SSX Blur EA
Q1 The Godfather Blackhand Edition EA
Q1 Medal of Honor Vanguard EA
Q1 Sonic and the Secret Rings Sega

This doesn't include some games, such as Super Paper Mario, which we just got done talking about...I'm hoping this is more of a preliminary list, not a sure-as-hell this-is-what-you're-getting list. Link below.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/23/nintendo-trickles-out-q1-games-list/

The link to the actual source is as follows:
http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=11109

[Edit:]

Oh, **** yes. After scanning (quickly, mind you; my cake is waiting) the release, I stumbled upon this quote:

Also, next week [being the 29th] will see the addition of an all-time favorite, Mario Kart 64.

Stryks

Smash Hero
yeah of all those games, only wii play and sonic: TSR sounds promising, especially sonic, being one of the best 3d sonic games of all, if not THE est of the 3d, tough I want kick *** 1st party games like mp3, galaxy, batallion, strikers and, obcourse, brawl... meh i can wait...

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
If SSX Blur turns out anything like Tricky or SSX 3 (the only ones I've played), I'd definitely label it as a game "of notice."

Of course, this is just an assumption, since I haven't read anything about the game.
Previews so far have been promising, and the developers themselves called it the best SSX game yet in an interview a little over a week ago (sorry, I'm linkless).
My only concern is a lack of variety, otherwise the game looks terrific. And, graphically speaking, it's probably the best Wii game yet (well, at the time it'll be released. SMG, No More Heroes, MP3 and Disaster all look very nice)
I'll probably pick it up.

Sensai

Smash Master
Blur looks like it might shape up to someting, although it does (from interviews) seem to be just a compilation of old courses/racers with Wii controlling. IMO, nothing tops 1080 for the 64 in the snowboarding department, but that's just me.

And Red Steel was, graphically, pretty nice. It had it's ups and downs, but over-all, it was prettier then Zelda.

WarioWare is freakin' awesome. I got it, and I gotta say it's awesome.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
And Red Steel was, graphically, pretty nice. It had it's ups and downs, but over-all, it was prettier then Zelda.
Being prettier than a ported Gamecube game doesn't seem like much of an accomplishment to me, although I have heard good things about Red Steel's graphics. Not enough to make up for what I've heard about it's gameplay, though.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
Being prettier than a ported Gamecube game doesn't seem like much of an accomplishment to me, although I have heard good things about Red Steel's graphics. Not enough to make up for what I've heard about it's gameplay, though.
I've heard its a decent game that got screwed by public opinion because of hype and some control issues. You know, a Love It/Hate It sort of game. So, it's probably worth trying, if not a purchase.

Sensai

Smash Master
It's not nearly as bad as the reviews make it out to be, IMO, although it is plagued with a somewhat difficult to get used to control scheme.

And if you're into plot or voice-acting....you might not wanna get it, either.

[Edit:]

Interesting...

quote=Matt Cassamassina, IGN] And speaking cryptically, I know that one studio wants to include an online cooperative mode in a sequel to a popular first-person shooter franchise for Wii. That said, some of these offerings are still pretty far off.[/quote]

If it were Nintendo, they would've said 'Nintendo' and not studio, leading me to believe that this is either CoD or Red Steel 2.

Cool.

primusfan

Smash Ace
Hey, I know this is gonna sound kinda stupid, but can someone send me a message via Wii please?? I'm starting to think that my Wii is having trouble recieving messages. My internet connection is fine, but I send people messages all the time and I never get replies. Also, another reason why i'm concerned about this is because I added 'VC Updates' to my address book, (for anyone who's ever heard of it, it's a site that sends your Wii a message every monday to tell you what VC games are released) and I didn't recieve a message when i'm normally supposed to. So can somebody please send me a message just to test it?

*EDIT*: Nevermind, I got it.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
It's not nearly as bad as the reviews make it out to be, IMO, although it is plagued with a somewhat difficult to get used to control scheme.

And if you're into plot or voice-acting....you might not wanna get it, either.
... Or non-linear missions, good multiplayer, original content, and unlockable secrets. Not kidding. Worst FPS ever (On the grand list of all the FPS's I've ever set my hands to the controls of, Red Steel is easily the worst).

As for the difficult to get used to control scheme, I've found that the controls work very nicely, but they need ways to adjust

- Sensitivity of pointer
- Sensitivity of accelerometers
- Size of turn box
- Turn Speed
- Turn Speed increase (What I mean by this is: The further to the left, right, top, or bottom of the screen you point, the faster it turns. How much faster? You should be able to adjust it to potentially turn very slowly at the edge of the box, and ridiculously fast at the edge of the screen, or whatever).

And a 180 button can never hurt a console FPS, even if the Wiimote ends up rocking more than it already does.

(By the way, all of the above should be on a sliding scale, not a stupid profile like in RS).

Sensai

Smash Master
Paranoid Android said:
(By the way, all of the above should be on a sliding scale, not a stupid profile like in RS).
Agreed. 100% feeling ya....

But to say it's the worst FPS game ever (EVAR!) is a little pushy, isn't it? I mean, go play Far Cry for the Wii....it's bad.

D

Deleted member

I'm telling you, when you play Red Steel and you get a grenade, mash the down arrow on your Wiimote, your hand becomes possessed

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
News Channel is up and working. Nothing really special though, but it's good to see it up and running.

Stryks

Smash Hero
News channel aint bad, My parents are gonna love that channel... tough Im hoping they make new channels soon, Im hoping they make a MP3 channel or something, So I can upload the music I want and hear it on the wii, something like that...

Chill

Red
BRoomer
The news channel's kinda neat. But it's another thing I don't have a reason to use. They should add a MP3 channel and some kind of VC channel(s).

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
So I'm not the only person who got News channel a day early? It was supposed o come out tomorrow...So I've heard. From everyone. Weird.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
So I'm not the only person who got News channel a day early? It was supposed o come out tomorrow...So I've heard. From everyone. Weird.
Weather channel came out a day early, too.

I guess we should just expect to see things a day early from now on.

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
I got weather channel on the right day though. Oh well, I'm not complaining. BTW, should i get Wario Ware? *goes to look up some upcoming titles*

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I'm guessing, since the the weather and news release dates were kind of hard to determine originally, they release it a day ahead so that you'll know it's out the next day.

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
Maybe. It could also have to do with time zones and the wii's clocks and people changing it. Maybe they release it earlier just to be safe or something....eh. I remember when the light came on, sometime about....5:07 ish Central time.

Did anybody find it funny that the headline in arts/entertainment ( I think) was about PS3 coming out in Europe Australia and a few other places? Hehe, It costs over 800 usd for them. Ouch. I thought 400 was steep...*waits for huge price drop*

FireBomb

Smash Lord
I found it more amusing to read about how the Wii News Channel was going to be available on Saturday when I downloaded the software this morning. TIME PARADOX!

Top Bottom