• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Stryks

Smash Hero
yep it got 4.0 on IGN, lol my cousin couldnt stop sayin that far cry is way more awesome than excite truck, sayin its almost as good as red steel (man hes so lost)... I show him the review... he call the ign guys dum and stupid... well he is 13 what can u expect... he tough brawl was gonna be released on november 1st, made a bet, he lost... hes gonna buy me brawl wen it comes out... free brawl FTW!!... ill stop now...

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
I wouldnt buy any games right now. In a few months some great titles will be comming out this March.

Prince of Persia
Heatseeker
SSX Blur
Sonic and the Secret Rings (Sonic's last chance not to suck)

Here is a link to an IGN article with all of the titles comming this winter season:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/755/755583p1.html

On a totally different note, does anyone's Wii make a beeping sound as it's reading a disc? I noticed my friend's was doing this and then it stoped reading the game. After a few tries Rayman finally ran. It was pretty strange.

Stryks

Smash Hero
mine does but has never failed to read disc, unless I insert the disc backwards... but mine is (sometimes) doing noices like when u put ur controller when its vibrating on a table, that kinda noice, but nto as loud, nor as fast, it stopped doing this but it came back... hopin it aint anything serious...

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I'm not saying Wario Ware isn't FUN... it is FUN... but for a console game, it's very much lacking.

Even the DS Wario Ware has more unlockables.

This one was short... and there's no simultaneous multiplayer... and on that same note, multiplayer had to be unlocked.

I need a game that has depth. I've beaten Zelda already... what else does the Wii have to offer when it comes to video games with more than 5 hours of gameplay?

Chip.

you know what to do
True, the future always has more in store.

Try Redsteel. The game's entertaining and long.... but the creators could've made it a lot more fun than what it is.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
So maybe WarioWare wasn't as long as people think, that's not the point. Those games are fun, and you'll get more than a few laughs from playing it*. There is no other game (and probably not be another anytime soon, at least) that manages to use the Wii remote in every freaking way possible. I highly reccomend that you people at least RENT this game. Innovative wacky fun conquers all.

*Jimmy and the dancing cats are probably the coolest thing WarioWare has seen to date.

Sensai

Smash Master
I'm probably going to end up getting WW, but just because I love the wacky-ness of it. I know it'll be short, and I'll know I'll be dissapointed, but I've come to expect that with WarioWare games...and as of late, Final Fantasy games, actually.

Far Cry got TERRIBLE reviews. It looks like a game that was dead on arrival.

Whoever said that the Secret Rings was Sonic's last chance to suck wins a cookie, as I agree whole-heartedly. I managed to stay away from Sonic post Dreamcast, but I'll be ****ed if I'm not interested in this one...please, Sega, if you're listening, don't screw it up.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
I've been extremely curious about playing Wario Ware. And will definitely look into renting it out when its released down under next week.

As for long and enjoyable experiences on the Wii I agree with Xsyven. I really don't see much that will offer fulfilling Wii experiences at the moment for more than 5 hours (unless you have friends that are constantly at your place playing Wii)

I'm currently having out for the big names like Metroid, Smash and Mario. But I'll probably check out a few games in the time when they aren't out. Either that or pray that Nintendo give us some classic names on the Virtual Console.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
The last time Sonic had any good games was back when Sonic Adventure DX and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle for the GC, which are remakes of the Dreamcast originals. I think after the Dreamcast died, so did Sega's hopes of ever having a decent console game died with it. It's unfortunate... I'm fond of Sonic, so whenever someone plays Sonic Heroes, Sonic Riders, etc., I shed a tear.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Yeah, that list that was posted earlier has nothing even remotely interesting on there. Even the games that would have normally piqued my interest seem less than satisfactory--Prince of Persia is just a remake, Sonic has sucked ever since he came to 3D, and WW tends to be too short and too simple.

Nintendo, if you're listening, you need to release SSB, Super Metroid, and LttP on the VC. Now. The "drought" you want to avoid is basically here.

Although, to be fair, having a lack of videogames at my disposal will give me more time to tend to more constructive activities. You know, like looking for a job, school, and learning guitar. :dizzy:

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I'm almost sure that I've spent more time using it as a Gamecube than a Wii.

With the exception of TP.

And I'm extremely happy that I have one. It's just that sooner than later, someone really needs to develop some more depthy games with awesome multiplayer.

Sensai

Smash Master
Jeah...now that the 'woah!-it-senses-motion!' has gone away from it, I'm looking for some great single player games. Red Steel is good, but INCREDIBLY short. TP was great, and I might end up playing it again. Elebits looks cool, but I can't seem to just get into it.

Might end up having to find some GC classics that I never got around to playing....or maybe a Star Fox game.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
I wouldnt buy any games right now. In a few months some great titles will be comming out this March.

Prince of Persia
Heatseeker
SSX Blur
Sonic and the Secret Rings (Sonic's last chance not to suck)
Yawn.

I'm dissapointed of the Wii as of yet. If Wario Ware hadn't come out I'd want to wait till SSBB (or at least till SMRPG) to get the Wii.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
What're you people talkin' about??? Wii Sports is all you need. Heck, you can even lose weight as a result of dedicating yourself to this game!

supermariopro101

Smash Journeyman
The reason games on the Wii are so horribly short and simple(excluding TP) is PROBABLY because, you must remember, the main point of the Wii was to get nongamers to get involved.

Nintendo was probably hurrying to get a new GOOD game for the Wii besides Twilight Princess, Rayman, 4x4, and Red Steel. Four really good games to me during a launch doesn't mean Wii has had a boring or bad start.

Most of the highly apprciated games like Metroid, Mario or Smash are still in development. It may seem like a long time and that is Nintendo's fault for bringing it out of the dark so early. However we can understand that the latest news today can be years ahead of the actual happening.

Now WarioWare may have fell terribly short and gotten critically bad reviews but I'll be ****ed if multiplayer on any WarioWare game isn't fun. The quirkyness of the game is unbelievable. Wii Sports, while entertaining and certainly involving a lot of movement for a videogame, does not have you doing much even though it has five games on it; probably because I'm used to real sports games. :dizzy:

On the sidenote; I agree that the transfer of Sonic from 2-D to 3-D was not a good choice at all. The gameplay wasn't not as good and even the graphics suffered rough pixel spots. The majority of the future videogame developers seem to think Gameplay<Graphics while it should really be Gameplay>Graphics. :urg:

Amen to Super Metroid and SMRPG.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Now WarioWare may have fell terribly short and gotten critically bad reviews but I'll be ****ed if multiplayer on any WarioWare game isn't fun. The quirkyness of the game is unbelievable. Wii Sports, while entertaining and certainly involving a lot of movement for a videogame, does not have you doing much even though it has five games on it; probably because I'm used to real sports games. :dizzy:
Huh? Most of the reviews I've seen have been generally positive, though several problems have been cited regarding some of the forms (i.e. Waiter). Granted, it's probably not a "must have" for the Wii, but I'd definitely recommend it to WarioWare fans. And if you've never played a WarioWare game, at least rent it and see for yourself.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
So, other than TP (I'm not much of a Zelda fan, really) there are no must have games? Pity because I am in the market for something new and now that I am finally over the initial shock and awe of researching the PS3 and 360, I am able to think more unbiasedly.

Red Steel was terrible when I played it. I need something that can really fill my time and has online. Any good ones out now?

Sensai

Smash Master
The Wii has no online, as of now. So, if you're really REALLY wanting online, you're going to have to wait.

Crimson, how long did you play Red Steel? I'll admit it takes a bit to get used to, but after that first tad, it's not so bad. I enjoy it a lot, actually....

So no. There are no 'must have' games right now...which is too bad. I figure it'll be a bit. We're just going to have to wait.

Not a Zelda fan? Guffaw? Just jokes, mate.

fleapy

Smash Journeyman
Yup. There releasing, ( nintendo is going to absolutely pwn 2007),
Super mario Galaxy
Animal crossing
Mario kart ( not oficial but highly rumoured)
Heroes
SUPER SMASH BROS BRAWL!!!! which should be online).

Stryks

Smash Hero
dont forget:
strikers
MP3
battallion wars 2
new fire emblem
disaster day of crisis (thats the name rite? looks good anyway...)
Project HAMMER (**** yeah!)
Resident evil: umbrella chronicles

2007 will be the year of nintendo XD...

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
I steel believe Red Steel to be an utter waste of money except for one thing and one thing only: Getting used to aiming with the Wiimote. After the shock of the awesome aim (which didn't have nearly enough customization in RS, mind you), I was completely bored with the game. It's linear, it's multiplayer sucks, it doesn't have online, it's story is trash, it's voice acting is laughable, it's graphics are worse than many GCN games, there's no unlockable content. Really, honestly, the worst first person shooter I've played - And I've played more FPS games than you can think of.

... Here's to waiting for MP3.

LieutenantSerg

Smash Lord
I steel believe Red Steel to be an utter waste of money except for one thing and one thing only: Getting used to aiming with the Wiimote. After the shock of the awesome aim (which didn't have nearly enough customization in RS, mind you), I was completely bored with the game. It's linear, it's multiplayer sucks, it doesn't have online, it's story is trash, it's voice acting is laughable, it's graphics are worse than many GCN games, there's no unlockable content. Really, honestly, the worst first person shooter I've played - And I've played more FPS games than you can think of.

... Here's to waiting for MP3.
Yeah, I dont know why people say it gets good after a while...the game is a complete waste of money the story is really bad all you do is chase your girlfriend. go with COD3 if you want a FPS.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
See, I am much more action oriented in my gaming, save for Oblivion/Elder Scroll Future Titles and RTSes. On the list of future titles, the only one that appealed to me was Brawl and Mario Galaxy. Online is a huge priority for me.

See, I have really bad carpal tunnel syndrome and after about 30 minutes with the Wii, I can't move my hands. I played Red Steel for about an hour and learned this the hard way. Red Steel is just a horribly watered down FPS with terrible graphics that they pushed out WAY too fast.

Eh, maybe I'll make the Wii my second console later.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's that bad.

CK, I'd wait on the Wii if I were you. The VC hasn't lived up to its potential (yet) and the only must-have is Zelda, which you can get on the Gamecube.

Sensai

Smash Master
Yeah, I dont know why people say it gets good after a while...the game is a complete waste of money the story is really bad all you do is chase your girlfriend. go with COD3 if you want a FPS.
There aren't many FPSs with a good story-line, honestly. And then those that do have good stories (or 'epic' stories, like Halo), don't have decent enough gameplay to support it (IMO).

[Edit:]

I didn't really put anything in my post save spamming...my bad.

I agree with Typh....unless you are SERIOUSLY wanting some multiplayer action (a la sitting next to one another) or retro-love at this moment (and not too much of the good stuff, to be fair), you should holt out on the Wii....

fleapy

Smash Journeyman
There aren't many FPSs with a good story-line, honestly. And then those that do have good stories (or 'epic' stories, like Halo), don't have decent enough gameplay to support it (IMO).

[Edit:]

I didn't really put anything in my post save spamming...my bad.

I agree with Typh....unless you are SERIOUSLY wanting some multiplayer action (a la sitting next to one another) or retro-love at this moment (and not too much of the good stuff, to be fair), you should holt out on the Wii....

halo had great gameplay. it was the only ting that made the xbox suceed. Red steel does have a crap storyline. But come on!!1 You get to throw and roll grenades. How incredble is that!

Master WGS

Smash Lord
I had heard rumor of it being possible to store MP3 files on your Wii via SD Card. I haven't really looked through the manual, but is this actually possible?

And does the photo channel work with any kind of videos? And can you actually watch them?

FireBomb

Smash Lord
The way I see it, the Wii is kinda like the DS in it's early months.

-Both systems had only a couple games that could really use the potential of the touch screen/remote. Super Mario 64 DS was more like a test for the touching, like in the minigames. There were more launch games for Wii, but they had their own functions. Zelda for example, only used pointing and slashing... not many used the push and pull, or the rotation feature.

-Later on the systems got a taste of WarioWare and got to use their capebilities to the limit. Short, but very sweet.

-Both have a delayed Metroid Prime game. Go figure.

-"We're getting them internet multiplayer," we uttered when the system launched, "but not right now. :("

I hope it also follows the path that the games on the Wii aren't a gimmick that'll only last a little while and then die within a year. Now that Nintendo has a better feeling of what everyone is dealing with, they'll incorperate more ideas in order to make them fun and variable. Viva la Wii, ese.

primusfan

Smash Ace
Nothing pisses me off more than when fanboys for other systems call the Wii a gimmick. Not all of the Wii games are going to be nothing but mini-games. We all know that, but I try to explain it to some of my friends (who are 360 fanboys), they assume that every game is just gonna be a WarioWare type game (i'm not saying anything bad about WarioWare, I want to get it).

Also, I don't think that the motion sensing of the remote has to be heavily involved in every Wii game. Sometimes I think the developers are forgetting the Wii remote & nunchuk is still a video game controller and the motion sensing does not to be the main way of control in a game.

Sensai

Smash Master
I had heard rumor of it being possible to store MP3 files on your Wii via SD Card. I haven't really looked through the manual, but is this actually possible?

And does the photo channel work with any kind of videos? And can you actually watch them?
Yes, you can use MP3 files on your Wii from your SD card. Be mindful, it's ONLY MP3 files. As for videos, some of them work, but I'm not 100% sure which ones they are. So, sadly, I cannot help very much. I do, however, know that the photo channel makes this all possible, but doesn't do much more for it. Check the manuel, like you said, for more information.

Rant mode: on!

FireBomb, I hope you're right. If the Wii goes the way the DS then, then Nintendo has a lot to look forward to. The differences (between the Wii and DS) against the Wii are that the Wii costs more to develop for, while a DS game can be done by a group of only a few people. Also, as many analysts have been saying, the Wii's biggest rival, especially if it does work out to be like this, is the DS itself; two completely unique experiences going against one another. Some might say it's a win-win for Nintendo (as either unit sold gets money for them), but they're probably banking on repeat customers.

One thing that the Wii has going for it that the DS does not (did not) is that it has only one thing to compete against in Japan, and it costs a lot more (I'm obviously not counting the DS...or the 360). This means that, assuming that the PS3 does have a rocky start, the Wii will have quite a headstart on every other gaming device there (once again, save the DS).

The You-Es-and-Ay is a little different; they enjoy the DS and PSP (almost) equally, and freakin' adore the 360. While the PSP caters to the more devoted gamer, the DS appeals to those that are more relaxed (although it's doing both by this point in time). The Wii is simply aimed at the casual gaming crowd, with the 360 taking the slack (as of today). The PS3 might steal the Xcore crowd, but the Wii and DS have the casual gamers....

/end long *** economic rant

Apologies....

primusfan said:
Nothing pisses me off more than when fanboys for other systems call the Wii a gimmick. Not all of the Wii games are going to be nothing but mini-games.
At this point and time, they're more correc then any of us would like to admit. Seriously...name 5 single player games out right now that you would seriously consider playing. Zelda, Red Steel (being generous), Trauma Center...and then what? That's about it, for me.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Bah, guys give me some time to reply. This will be a bit long, but I wanted to address all the comments I got back and a few others.

Sensai said:
This assertation is quite wrong. Most FPS games today are quite good and story driven. Take Far Cry. The game has THE most intelligent AI in gaming for when it came out (I think HL2 was out after though) and an amazing story. I wish the terrain was a bit more fun, but the open-endedness really made the game a great experience. Sure, the bosses were a bit of a let down, but I loved sitting there contemplating how to wipe out a map of enemies with VERY limited ammo to get to an armory.

Typh said:
CK, I'd wait on the Wii if I were you. The VC hasn't lived up to its potential (yet) and the only must-have is Zelda, which you can get on the Gamecube.
The VC IS NOT and should not be a priority in the console. Nintendo really botched it, in my opinion, by not having some games ready for downloading off the bat, but regardless you aren't buying a Wii to play SNES. Though, I barely count Zelda as a Wii title since it doesn't add anything but interactivity as the port. Again, I wasn't a fan after it went to 3D.

primusfan said:
Nothing pisses me off more than when fanboys for other systems call the Wii a gimmick. Not all of the Wii games are going to be nothing but mini-games. We all know that, but I try to explain it to some of my friends (who are 360 fanboys), they assume that every game is just gonna be a WarioWare type game (i'm not saying anything bad about WarioWare, I want to get it).
Sadly, the Wii IS just a gimmick right now. Nintendo needs a good gimmick to reel in outside gamers then they really need to hit constant homeruns. Also, they need to adjust the learning curve with some games. The DS, I will admit, turned me off with the 2 screens. The fact is that once they had some compelling content, then I was interested. The main problem I saw with the DS was a lack of third party support. I can't name 5 good, worthwhile titles that wasn't under the Nintendo umbrella. Trauma Center was fun as was Castlevania, then I draw a blank. The problem with that is unless you can have exclusive third party titles that dominate, you won't reel in too many over time.

Also, I really want to see the DS more interactive with the Wii. I mean they both have the Wifi connectivity, why not use it to it's potential?

I'll admit, as of now, I am leaning hard to the PS3. It offers the best for me personally right now. The 360 always lures me when I see Dead Rising, Gears of War, and the horizon. The Wii however really offers nothing of amazing interest that I say "****, I need to play that." The Wii needs it's own "Assassin's Creed" or MGS4 or Gears of War/Resistance to lure in the gamers who will spend money.

Sadly for gamers like myself, PC gaming is no longer a cheap alternative. Vista Ultimate, the gaming version essentially, is running for about $400. Ultimate has services on it that prevent most forms of piracy and is required to upgrade to DirectX 10. Meaning in the fall, when Crysis and such hit, PC gamers will have to shell out at least $400 for the software, and maybe more for upgraded video cards, processors, etc. Well, gaming is an expensive passtime.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
The only possible connectivity between the DS and the Wii that I've heard of is Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. There will be one for both systems, which I think would work out pretty well, like the previous one for the 'Cube.

Heh, I wonder how many here would be interested in the first place.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer

The photo channel plays .mov files, and yes, it works perfectly. Also, you can store anything on your SD card, if you like. But if you were wondering if the Wii could actually use the MP3 files, well, yes and no. You can have your own custom mp3 as background music for a slideshow in the photo channel, and some games (such as Excite Truck) support custom background music in the form of mp3s. Other than that, though, there's nothing.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The only possible connectivity between the DS and the Wii that I've heard of is Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. There will be one for both systems, which I think would work out pretty well, like the previous one for the 'Cube.
That's kind of what I was figuring. I was hoping that since the DS could host game mirrors from say Mario 64 DS, it could host minor information for say an inventory in Zelda, a Map in Prime, or something cool like that. Just a little interactivity would really boost them both, in my opinion.

Top Bottom