• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Pms aren't the same. That thng that shall not be named was faster and even linked directly to the post.

In related news, Nintendo did infact win an emmy.

For the d-pad.

20 years later.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
It's obviously Halo 3.
Oh god, the beta is coming soon. I finally took the time to stop playing Zelda for a few of my free nights and beat Gears of War. Man, that game was awesome. My favorite thing about the game is the way the cinematics were done. In most games, the cinematics have a sort of slow, cheesy feel to them. Gears of Wars cutscenes had me feeling like I was watching a movie. I seriously wish I could watch the entire game be played through in the style the cutscenes used. My point for saying this in the Wii thread is that I don't just want the innovation that the Wii offers. I want movie like games. Sure, Zelda is a lot of fun, Excite Truck as well, but I really am a graphics ***** and when a game does anything as amazingly as Gears of War did so many things, I feel it should be recognized.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Yeah, I definately I enjoy my Wii and there will be games that you won't see on the other consoles. But that goes the same both ways. I won't ever see anything on the scope of Mass Effect on the Wii and I don't want to miss out on games like that. I was planning on waiting till Dec of this year to buy a PS3 but I don't know if I can wait to play some of the games coming out that I'm really excited for.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
... I don't have wireless internet. What does this mean in terms of me being able to connect to the internet?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
If you don't have wireless, either purchase a USB WiFi Connector (which lets you connect wirelessly via your computer, but the range is pitifully small but can be used in conjunction with dial-up), wait for USB LAN adapters to be sold (site states that shipping starts early January), or "borrow" a neighbor's broadband.

Personally, if I were you, I would just buy a router that allows both wired and wireless connections. Most stores have a sale on them every so often and setting it up is easy. This is all assuming that you don't have 56K...otherwise go with the USB connector.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
I know this is a novel idea, but have you tried reading the instruction manual?
Yes, I have. Looking through the contents page of both of the manuals supplied didn't lead me to anything remotely helpful.

Thankyou, Rockettrainer. =]

Sensai

Smash Master
There's already a somewhat 'fishy' way of connecting your Wii to the internet using an already made USB LAN adapter thingy. If you google it, I'm sure it'll come up fairly quickly.

But I'd just buy a router. They're not all that expensive, and it's gonna become necessary to get one sooner or later.

Zink

Smash Champion
The second I saw "big FPS for Wii with online" I thought "Halo 3". Imagine that. Just let it stew in your mind. Halo is already a lot of fun. Add a Wiimote, which is approx. fun quotient x12 for FPSs.
Can we edit the first post to have a link to nintendo.com's customer service? They have literally every single possible problem catalouged, yet it is never checked.
Also Sensai, Sakurai said no leaderboards or anything. Win-loss record at the most. However, hope is not lost. There are online services that do rankings for games.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Well, a Wii FPS is good if the controls are done right. I heard the controls for CoD3 are incredible, the lack of MP killed it though. Red Steel controls, i have no problem with, but they just didn't feel right. It always felt awkward, despite the ease of use

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Things that are an absolute must for future Wii FPS games:

-Sensitivity of Pointer (Moving across screen)
-Sensitivity of Accelerometers (Psychical actions)
-The size of the box in which you place the cursor to turn
-Your turn speed (How fast you can 180)
-How fast your turn speed increases in the turn box (You turn faster at the edges... How much faster?)

All of these would be on little sliders which you would adjust with the + and - buttons after selecting them (instead of ****ty presets like Red Steel).

Oh yeah, and a 180 button never hurts a console FPS.

greenblob

Smash Lord
I don't have a Wii yet (curses the lack of large retail stores within a convenient distance), but I've tried out my friends'. This is just my first impressions/thoughts.

My little critique of the Wii:

Motion sensing is awesome. However, the Wii lacks easily accessible buttons. Sure, motion sensing can replace a lot them, but it can't always make up for having only around 5 that you can reach in normal gameplay.
What I would consider to be an optimal button layout for the Wii would be:
Nunchuck: analog stick with L and Z as shoulder buttons with one of them being a trigger
Wiimote: D-pad where it is now, A, B, X, Y buttons where the A button currently is (either in traditional or GC layout), C and R for shoulder buttons with one being a trigger, +/-/home buttons where they are now, and buttons 1 and 2 where X and Y are currently.

Or if that's too much, have A and B where the A button currently is and have two pairs of shoulder buttons (or at least two on one side and one on the other). I can see how the lack of buttons would limit certain games that could come out in the future.

Also, this might be copying the Sixaxis a bit, but Sony copied Nintendo first so it's all good, right? Have an attachment for the Wiimote on the back of a VC/GC controller for future (probably racing) games.
Edit: apparantly, this as already been discussed in an interview: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60917

Games we need with the Wiimote:
RTS games. This would work perfectly--possibly even better than FPS games. I would also like to see some of these on the DS as well.
More FPS games with a Call of Dudy 3 or MP3 control scheme.
Driving/flying games using the VC/GC attachment mentioned above. Imagine how Starfox, F-Zero, and Mario Kart would turn out.
Tennis on Wii Sports was fun. Wii Sports in general showed us how well the Wiimote can work for these titles. How about some highly specialized versions of these games. Being a Table Tennis fan, I would like to see a Ping Pong game developed for the Wii (something that's better than the one on Wii Play) that includes power shots, spikes, spins, etc.
Fighting games! Imagine a mix between Zelda and Wii Sports Boxing with a bunch of extra features.
Last but not least, online. Need I say more?

Also, I'm really hoping (even though this probably won't come true) that Ubisoft releases a patch for Red Steel that allows for MP3-like control configuration and online multiplayer.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Instead of Wii Sports, they really should have packaged Wario Ware: Smooth Moves. The "game" has only 200 microgames (5-10 sec minigames really) and would actually display the controls of the Wiimote better than Wii Sports did. I felt Wii Sports could have been a "On the Hard Drive" demo that you can redownload or something, but really they should have packaged something with their franchises on it.

primusfan

Smash Ace
^^^That's actually not a bad idea. I wanna get WarioWare now; GameSpot.com gave it a 9.1 and say it's a must have for your Wii library. Sounds like a buy (or atleast a rent) to me.

Zink

Smash Champion
I think Wii Sports was a better idea for pulling in the nongamers. So far it seems to be doing just that- there's so many testimonials about nongaming friends or relatives liking Wii Sports. I think Wario Ware might be a bit offputting for the nongamer, cuz it's a bit freaky.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Wii sports was ok, I really wanna get Wii play, it comes with a free controller, so the game itself practically costs 10 bucks (since the wiimote cost 40...), not to mention the games in wii play are pretty cool... tough im gonna bet its gonna be hard to get one, with the free wiimote and all...

FireBomb

Smash Lord
YEAH I finally have connection after so long!

If you want to be associated with FireBomb, then here: 4776 2700 6897 3550 (I'm hella late...)

I tried posting on my Wii but it froze while trying to write the message. Not entirely sure how long my connection will last, though.

Sensai

Smash Master
FireBomb, I'll add you in later, me thinks.

And Crimson, while I agree that WW:SM is a better showcase for what the Wii can do, I don't think it would've been a better add-in then Wii Sports.

The thing that makes Wii Sports a great addition is that it includes easily recognizable games. Wario Ware would be (and I guess is) a great addition to your library, but showing it to someone who has no idea what's going on would be chaotic, to say the least. In this area, Wii Sports shines. Everyone knows how to throw a baseball, or swing a racket.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Apparently WW:SM can have up to 12 players since most of it isn't simultaneous. Sounds like the best party game in existence to me.

And no, it shouldn't have been a demo, a lot of people won't find it appealing, but how can you go wrong with Wii Sports?

FireBomb

Smash Lord
For those that don't know...

Smooth Moves has 19 different ways to hold the controller while playing, or "forms", with the Wiimote being the Form Baton, one which I believe uses the nunchuk. If you're an maniac like me, you'll likely unlock everything there is in 2-3 hours, or so they say. Even so, I expect it to be insanely replayable.

Mii's will play a role in this game, such as for the multiplayer games. One of them consists of your Mii dangling from a rope as you cut away the supports one by one, but it's random so you might end up cutting your own support. The Mii's just happen to appear in some of the minigames, too, like in Opening Night they wear a tux as you conduct.

I'm interested in 9-Volt's games, they all consist of "classic" games, which actually refer to the GameCube ones. I see Wind Waker Link on the Deku Leaf, Mario with FLUDD putting out a fire, Animal Crossing person catching a fish, and uh, Balloon Fighter dodging a giant fish. Oh I can't wait...

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
We got bored with Wii Sports with an hour of playing. If I was gonna get a Wii, I'd expect something good to come in the box since there isn't too many Wii specific games I'd (or most of my friends) would buy.

Most of the games aren't much but a tech demo anyway. Tennis: You can't control your characters. Golf: Wouldn't register swings accurately and if you use all your power it will hook or slice. Boxing: It was ok, but it could have been better. Baseball: You couldn't field the ball, etc. Bowling: Was the best one, but it wasn't fleshed out enough.

I think Nintendo would have made some extra money on launch day had they made each game separate and available for downloading for a small fee. But have them as actual games to pass time.

Packaging WarioWare would have shown what the Wii really could do right off the bat and added a fun game that most people won't buy because it's just a mini-games. (I never got WarioWare Touched because it was always $30 for mini-games. Not financially sound to me.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
If anyone wants to be my wii buddy, just pm me. Firebomb, ima add you in here later.

MetalLuigi1209

Smash Ace
I love the Wii, I think its only problem is that it is a battery eater:-(. This isn't a problem to me now, but it might be when I get 4 wiimotes, and need to buy 8 packs of batteries. Other than that, the wii is the best console I've ever had.

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
We got bored with Wii Sports with an hour of playing. If I was gonna get a Wii, I'd expect something good to come in the box since there isn't too many Wii specific games I'd (or most of my friends) would buy.

Most of the games aren't much but a tech demo anyway. Tennis: You can't control your characters. Golf: Wouldn't register swings accurately and if you use all your power it will hook or slice. Boxing: It was ok, but it could have been better. Baseball: You couldn't field the ball, etc. Bowling: Was the best one, but it wasn't fleshed out enough.
I could have understood this if it had been "I" rather than "We." My friends and I have a blast playing Wii Sports (even with only one controller to share between all of us). It just seems like the ultimate party game/system to me. I'm going to get one when I can find one in stock, and I haven't had much time to go "Wii-hunting" lately.

Also, there shouldn't be too much to expect from a game that comes packaged with the console on launch day. Most consoles in the last 2-3 generations (counting this one) have not had a packaged game at launch.

Sensai

Smash Master
I could have understood this if it had been "I" rather than "We."
Exactly.

IMO, Wii Sports does what WarioWare fails to do (and I meant this in my earlier post, I just didn't really expand upon it): it appeals to the non-gaming crowd. While the majority of the people on the boards would've rather had WarioWare for single playing, Wii Sports is more non-gamer-party-oriented (with WW being more aimed at the gamer-type).

And BTW, here's an excerpt from a review of Pokemon Battle Revolution. I think it was imported...anyways, the part that I want you guys to see, and the part I'm sure all of us will-be-Brawlers wanna hear, is this:
GameBrink said:
Finally is the WiFi. Unlike the Online battling of Diamond and Pearl, this game is faster and far smoother. It also has many options to customise your battles.
Preset rules can be imposed, as can caps on Pokemon levels. This game is worth the price for this mode alone.
It's short, yes, but it's definitely a thumbs-up.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Id buy it, so I can finally play some online against other guys that arent my relatives or saber, or any of my friends from school, tough me buying a pokemon game, aint gonna happend, and I dont like them anymore anyway, ill wait from brawl, BWii, Strikers, or MP3 (retro studios is rethinking the multiplayer thing...)

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I love the Wii, I think its only problem is that it is a battery eater:-(. This isn't a problem to me now, but it might be when I get 4 wiimotes, and need to buy 8 packs of batteries. Other than that, the wii is the best console I've ever had.
Two things to help save battery power are turning off rumble and taking the batteries out when your Wii is off/standby. The Remote seriously drains batteries even when it's sleep mode. As for rumble, there really is no use for it right now unless you really want it...

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I got Wario Ware: Smooth Moves today. Very fun, yet very short.

...I already have everything unlocked... all in one day.

Anyone wanna trade games with me? I'll take Metal Slug.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
If you think the point of WarioWare is to just beat the games and move on to another game, you've missed the point of Warioware completely...it's all about getting high scores and replay value. True, single player is short, but the real purpose is to get high scores. Plus, it's funny to watch other people try at the game and fail miserably. :grin:

On a sidenote, more Wiis are supposed to be available this Sunday at Best Buy. If you're still looking for a Wii, you know what to do...

Stryks

Smash Hero
nah it aint bad, well I played the demo in the nintendo fusion tour in octber, I found it to b very fun, but I kinda imagined it would be short...

Chip.

you know what to do
Wario for the DS was short and I beat less than 2 1/2 hours. But I still thought it was very fun.

Does anyone know if Far cry instincts: Vengence has come out for the Wii yet? I want to know if it's any good.

Chip.

you know what to do
Ouch, for real?

Ahh well, I thought it would be worth a shot, but I guess not.

I love Twilight Princess and all and am currently getting every single tiny detail you can do(without help from a guide book or internet source), but when's another great or "decent" game coming out?

Top Bottom