• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii System Menu 4.0 Update - Safe Upgrade Guide Is Up

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Successfully downgraded to 3.2U.

Thanks for the guide, ChiboSempai. The only thing I'd like to know now is how people who don't update deal with Shop Channel updates.
glad to know other ppl are using the guide and reporting success :)

Oh god. I updated before I installed homebrew. all I can do is wait? That sucks. Will formatting the wii downgrade it to v1.0?
formatting wont change ur firmware, only delete all data like saved games, and non-basic channels

oh screw that then

Brick proof wii>some sd channel lol
though if your careful you'll never break your wii :)

however, how does it pre-loader work? any idea where i can find it? next time i try to make my own custom VC games this would be good to install first to make sure i dont mess up my wii while testing it. iv had semi-bricks before with faulty channels, but luckily never made it bad enough to where I couldnt fix it myself.

CheDDar-X

Smash Apprentice
I have 3.4U and I want to update. The guide tells me I need cIOS rev or something like that? Is that completely necessary? What would happened if I updated with out it?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
installing cIOS36 rev8 makes it so certain things still work after you update to 4.0
Sure, if all you care about is the homebrew channel and GeckoOS, then you can just update to 4.0 if u have the HBC already installed. However if you install the cIOS programs like WAD Manager, HTTP Dumper, and Backup Loader still work, and you will have the ability to downgrade to Version 3.2 if any need for it ever comes up. It's a safe precaution imo.

CheDDar-X

Smash Apprentice
installing cIOS36 rev8 makes it so certain things still work after you update to 4.0
Sure, if all you care about is the homebrew channel and GeckoOS, then you can just update to 4.0 if u have the HBC already installed. However if you install the cIOS programs like WAD Manager, HTTP Dumper, and Backup Loader still work, and you will have the ability to downgrade to Version 3.2 if any need for it ever comes up. It's a safe precaution imo.
Ahhh, ok. Well I put it on there anyway just to be safe. Gonna try it out now. :bee:

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
yup, and if nintendo ever has a reason to be pissed with u having a cIOS on (though i believe theres no way for them to be able to detect it) you can always uninstall it later

every method of softmodding has a method to uninstall it

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ok so I havent updated yet and wanted to run GeckoOS codes for brawl, the thing is its a SDHC card. The channel booted properly but when it went to launch the codes it said "SD error" or something.
I also cant save replays on it.

I'm guessing both these reasons are because its a SDHC card, because everything worked fine on my other, normal SD card.

So does Updating to 4.0 fix these problems? Will I then be able to save replays/Run GeckoOS off an SDHC card?
The current version of Gecko OS is not compatible with SDHC cards. Unless the new version is made for the SDHC cards, you'll have to stick with 1 GB or 2 GB SD cards.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Ok, let's do some example case studies so I can better understand what's happening

1) I'm a nub who just learned about Homebrew and stuff, and I want to join in on the scene. However, I thought "loading stuff from an SD card" looked cool, so I updated to Wii Menu 4.0. Am I screwed from the time being?

2) I'm big on the Brawl+ scene, but I don't go into the other hacking things ("preloader? starfall? wtf are those?"). I'm already at Wii Menu 3.4, and I'm having no trouble with GeckoOS and Homebrew. What will I lose if I upgrade?

3) I'm a master hacker. I have the full package, everything short of hard-modding my Wii. I'm still at Wii Menu 3.2 because it's by far the best menu for my hacks. However, this 32 gb of storage looks pretty appealing, as my Wii is kinda tight on free space. Can I download drivers and IOSes that keep my stuff running, allow me to downgrade if I need to, and give me the Menu 3.2 experience with those little perks that 4.0 brings?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Ok, let's do some example case studies so I can better understand what's happening

1) I'm a nub who just learned about Homebrew and stuff, and I want to join in on the scene. However, I thought "loading stuff from an SD card" looked cool, so I updated to Wii Menu 4.0. Am I screwed from the time being?

2) I'm big on the Brawl+ scene, but I don't go into the other hacking things ("preloader? starfall? wtf are those?"). I'm already at Wii Menu 3.4, and I'm having no trouble with GeckoOS and Homebrew. What will I lose if I upgrade?

3) I'm a master hacker. I have the full package, everything short of hard-modding my Wii. I'm still at Wii Menu 3.2 because it's by far the best menu for my hacks. However, this 32 gb of storage looks pretty appealing, as my Wii is kinda tight on free space. Can I download drivers and IOSes that keep my stuff running, allow me to downgrade if I need to, and give me the Menu 3.2 experience with those little perks that 4.0 brings?
1. yes if u are at 4.0 with no HBC ur screwed for the time being

2. if ur at 3.4 with HBC and u update, u can still do HBC and stuff but u wont be able to downgrade incase u need to and some programs besides gecko wont work

3. if u take the precautions in my guide u can update and then be able to downgrade

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
1. yes if u are at 4.0 with no HBC ur screwed for the time being

2. if ur at 3.4 with HBC and u update, u can still do HBC and stuff but u wont be able to downgrade incase u need to and some programs besides gecko wont work

3. if u take the precautions in my guide u can update and then be able to downgrade
One thing you need to keep note about downgrading is that you risk bricking your Wii if you do it wrong. Hopefully, once a new way to install HBC is made for System Menu 4.0, downgrading will not be needed.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I've got a question

After I've succesfully downgraded to version 3.2 and then safetly upgraded to 4.0 what do I do with the files in my SD card atm?

Can I take them out now or do they have to be in there forever?

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
is there a chance that the goodies will be able to be updated individualy without fully switching to 4.0? (like the Mii update, where you could download the Mii fixes from 3.4 without having to download 3.4)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's interesting to note that when System Menu 3.4 was released, it only took Team Twiizers one week to update the Twilight Hack.

If they're developing a new version of the Twilight Hack for System Menu 4.0, they sure are taking their time. Don't want to rush if you want everything to function properly.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
It's interesting to note that when System Menu 3.4 was released, it only took Team Twiizers one week to update the Twilight Hack.

If they're developing a new version of the Twilight Hack for System Menu 4.0, they sure are taking their time. Don't want to rush if you want everything to function properly.
The twilight hack is done. They finally shut it down for good. They're going to need to make use of a totally new exploit in order to get homebrew working on the 4.0 system menu.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The twilight hack is done. They finally shut it down for good. They're going to need to make use of a totally new exploit in order to get homebrew working on the 4.0 system menu.
That remains to be seen. When System Menu 3.4 was introduced, it was thought that the Twilight Hack was history, but it wasn't.

Still, we'll never know if a new Twilight Hack gets developed until a notice has been given to us.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
haha, not a very fun April Fool joke...I thought my wii was bricked

there is still no preloader for 4.0

I downgraded back to 3.2 =x
Actually, I didn't know either. I was about to use it until I noticed a message on another site saying it was fake. Sorry about that.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Okay, I have homebrew channel and Wii Backup Laucher and Gamecube Backup launcher on my SD card. Those are probably the big three that Nintendo is trying to shut down, along with Twilight Hack. Can I upgrade to 4.0 safely right now? And when I do, will the backup launchers still work?

I want to play Majora's Mask, but I need 4.0 for it to start :(

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Okay, I have homebrew channel and Wii Backup Laucher and Gamecube Backup launcher on my SD card. Those are probably the big three that Nintendo is trying to shut down, along with Twilight Hack. Can I upgrade to 4.0 safely right now? And when I do, will the backup launchers still work?

I want to play Majora's Mask, but I need 4.0 for it to start :(
I think you need to install a cIOS in order to use the backup launchers on 4.0. And if you're going to do that, then there's no reason to upgrade to 4.0 in the first place.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
so if i'm only using the homebrew channel for brawl hacks/homebrew games it should be fine to upgrade?

*has 3.4 if it makes a difference*

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
so if i'm only using the homebrew channel for brawl hacks/homebrew games it should be fine to upgrade?

*has 3.4 if it makes a difference*
Just be aware that if you upgrade, you will likely be forever giving up several potential homebrew applications, both those that exist now and will exist in the future. What the 4.0 system menu adds really isn't worth screwing that up for, imo.

FlashGamma

Smash Cadet
I read somewhere that a way to install Homebrew on a 4.0 updated Wii will be out by April the 28th. Can someone confirm or discredit this info?

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Is 4.0 necessary to play Brawl on Wi-fi? I can't load games through the Disc Channel, it tells me to upgrade. If I load Brawl through Wiigator or Homebrew, the game crashes if I try to play a match on Wi-fi.

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
After reading through this thread, thank god I never went through with updating from 3.3. Looks like I'm tracking down some of these other things I'd never heard of before though, like the downgrader.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Is 4.0 necessary to play Brawl on Wi-fi? I can't load games through the Disc Channel, it tells me to upgrade. If I load Brawl through Wiigator or Homebrew, the game crashes if I try to play a match on Wi-fi.
I have no idea why it crashes. It shouldn't.
You're asked to update if there is a update on the game disc that is a higher version than ur system. The one on Brawl is 3.3. This means you have 3.2 if I'm not mistaken. If you update to 4.0 you'll be able to use the disc channel.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Alright, thanks, man.

Edit: I think it's Keitaro's hacked music causing the game to freeze on Wi-fi. I can't get it off, even when I load Brawl normally, through the Disc Channel! This is pretty unrelated.

rike

Smash Rookie
hello, i'm pretty sure this was asked a bunch, but....

my wii used to be 4.0 because i didn't know anything, but i downgraded (not knowing anything to 3.2U). i have homebrew and gecko OS and basically i just hack brawl for the textures and replay glitches. i will not play brawl+ nor do i want it.

i just figured out about the WAD manager and i just downloaded like 50 of the best games of all time, but i can only put 2 N64 ones, or about 5 NES/SNES games on the wii menu before its full. (the rest are copied channels on the SD card). All of the games work, and they save and such and its all good.

its rather inconvenient to have to copy the large files to the menu and get rid of others whenever i want to play them due to the file size. the n64 games take forever to copy.

i am only considering the 4.0 update so i can play all of these games from the card without loading them. i dont really care if those games take slightly longer to open or whatnot, i just want them all to be in one easy place.

my questions are as follow:

1. because i was already 4.0 and downgraded to 3.2U, will anything happen if i go back to 4.0(the safe way that ChiboSempai made a guide for)?

2. will i even be able to run the WAD manager?

3. will i be able to run the channels i make from WAD manager from the SD card?

4. will gecko OS still work?

5. MOST IMPORTANT: will brawl still work??

6. will brawl with codes still work (without freezing)?

7. will it mess up my wii if i downgrade again? (because i was 4.0 -> 3.2U then i would go to 4.0 and back to 3.2U) (i already successfully downgraded once.)

I thank whoever decides to rise to the challenge of answering my questions after reading my large bulk of words. I hope ChiboSempai answers this because I would feel the most safe from him, but I would like anyone's input as well. Not to be rude, but i would not like Leafgreen's input because i already know what im going to lose and i dont care at all for preloader and not being able to get it again and such.

Thanks! =)

illinialex24

Smash Hero
1. because i was already 4.0 and downgraded to 3.2U, will anything happen if i go back to 4.0(the safe way that ChiboSempai made a guide for)?
Nope, not really, except you can't use Starfall which is the greatest program EVA!!!!!!

2. will i even be able to run the WAD manager?
Yes

3. will i be able to run the channels i make from WAD manager from the SD card?
Yes, even if what your doing is still very illegal, yes.

4. will gecko OS still work?
Yes

5. MOST IMPORTANT: will brawl still work??
Yes

6. will brawl with codes still work (without freezing)?
Yes, as long as you don't have an SDHC card.

7. will it mess up my wii if i downgrade again? (because i was 4.0 -> 3.2U then i would go to 4.0 and back to 3.2U) (i already successfully downgraded once.)
Nope, it would be very easy to downgrade again actually, you would just have to run one .dol file, very quick and easy by comparison.

I thank whoever decides to rise to the challenge of answering my questions after reading my large bulk of words. I hope ChiboSempai answers this because I would feel the most safe from him, but I would like anyone's input as well. Not to be rude, but i would not like Leafgreen's input because i already know what im going to lose and i dont care at all for preloader and not being able to get it again and such.

Thanks! =)
Sorry, but I'm better than ElChibo (jk) but yeah I know this stuff. But Starfall is amazing.

rike

Smash Rookie
thank you so much. im sorry, i dont know the site rules and how stuff works, so if any of my post is against the rules, i apologize. thanks so much.

is there a link to see what starfall does? maybe i'll change my mind

illinialex24

Smash Hero
thank you so much. im sorry, i dont know the site rules and how stuff works, so if any of my post is against the rules, i apologize. thanks so much.

is there a link to see what starfall does? maybe i'll change my mind
Makes it so you can change Wii settings, allows regionless Wii stuff, and skips the update check, so with cIOScorp it creates the worlds best backup loader period. (Not exactly supposed to be saying this here).

Top Bottom