• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii System Menu 4.0 Update - Safe Upgrade Guide Is Up

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
what does preloader and softmii do?

true, i forgot about starfall. iv been meaning to get that (would have to downgrade first though). its pretty convinient.

Preloader brick-proofs your console by giving a loader menu before even touching boot2 IIRC. A menu to choose to load the normal system menu or skip that to go into HBC.

SoftMii = Uber h4x mod your console to infinity and beyond.

IM_A_HUSTLA

Smash Journeyman
Moooo, but I wanna buy Virtual Console games >< Especially is Smash64 comes out.

I'll just wait.
YOU CAN ALREADY DO THIS WITH THE HBC 4 FREE

I PLAY SMASH 64 ON MY Wii ALL THE TIME

ppl need to look into what they can do with their Twilight Hacked Wii's

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
Preloader brick-proofs your console by giving a loader menu before even touching boot2 IIRC. A menu to choose to load the normal system menu or skip that to go into HBC.

SoftMii = Uber h4x mod your console to infinity and beyond.
WRONG! Preloader is a System Menu hack. BootMii (which has yet to be released) will be the Boot2 hack.

Its possible to downgrade the Wii System Menu?
It is if you're on 3.4 and below.

It is also apparently possible to downgrade from 4.0 IF AND ONLY IF you already have cIOS (IOS249) installed. If you've ever used the backup loader than you have this. But if you update to 4.0 without it then you'll be stuck there.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
Personally, I would update every time an update is deemed safe. Why? Because if you don't and a non safe update rolls around, you can't update to the latest safe version.

ratts

Smash Apprentice
I have 3.4 and wiiconnect24 on and nintendo channel getting updates and everything. There has been no forced update. Honestly people have so much information.

You still have to manual update, the only thing is you can't go to the Wii Shop Channel.

Recoil

Smash Journeyman
Wow, there's 32 gig SD cards now? We've come a long way from floppy discs :O

Anyways, thanks for the info. Good thing I'm downgraded back to 3.2 and hoping to stay that way.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
ppl are reporting that everything should be fine updating to v4.0
just to be safe, before you update you can install a cIOS that will let you later downgrade to v3.2 if you wish.
i will test all of this in probably like an hour

GPDP

Smash Ace
I play a lot of VC games, so I must say the concept of being able to store a lot of titles without having to delete them for extra space is appealing.

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
Guys, if you want to keep Homebrew, don't update. Nintendo has the ability to auto update now. It's working fine now but one day it might not. I seriously hope you guys don't come crying that your Wii auto updated and you'll never be able to use Homebrew again unless you buy a Wii with an older firmware. Nintendo updates aren't that great anyways. They add new feature to new games but not old ones. By firmware 6.0 or something, the Wii will probably be pretty much the same.
Also: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/ds/results.jsp?error_code=20102&system=Wii&locale=en_US

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
What did I lose out on by updating?
All this and more:

SoftMii Installation FAQ said:
14. Can anyone tell me what does all the hacks in Preloader do?

Remove Health Warning -Removes the Health Waring on Boot
Region Free Wii -Makes you wii region free
Update Blocker -Blocks ninty discs updates
Force Disc Region -Forces Discs own region
Region Free GC Video Patch Mode - patches the video signal to a video signal supported by your Wii’s region
Remove Diagnostic Disc Check - Let you boot retail discs from the recovery menu when Y is pressed on the first gc controller
Remove BGM - Removes System Menu Background Music
Region Free GC Games - play gc games of all region
Remove NoCopy Protection - Removes The Copy Protection From Game Saves
Move Disc Channel - Allow The Disc Channel To Be Moved
IOS Reloading - Forces disc channel to load everything with cIOS249 (a Patched version of ios36 that enables loading backups) Doesn't work with cIOSCORP or games meant to run with ios36 like Rockband2 for instance, which requires IOS37.
Disc Area Check - forces the area settings of the disc to the default console settings
Region Free Channels - makes the channels region free (not working on some wiiware titles)
Since you updated to 4.0, you cannot downgrade. Not being able to downgrade means you can't use any of that, the savegame extractor, or install any channel files or custom IOS. There's probably more I'm missing, too.

Adetque

Smash Apprentice
I have the second version of menu 3.3U. How exactly do I downgrade to 3.2?

Yoshara

Smash Lord
Ah, but the thing is that is Preloader, something which I never cared to install, therefore I am not losing out on anything I care for.

Lil'E

Smash Apprentice
How safe is downgrading? I've currently been using my 3.4U with no problems other than the fact that I can't access some of the channels I used to visit daily(voting, mii contests, etc).

That "Remove Health Warning" is good as any reason to downgrade though.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Ah, but the thing is that is Preloader, something which I never cared to install, therefore I am not losing out on anything I care for.
You get far more with homebrew than you do with official updates, but... it's your loss. I'm not gonna try to convince you into wanting this, but you should respect the fact that others that would want to do this would not be able to if they updated.

Lil'E said:
How safe is downgrading?
As long as you do it right, it's perfectly safe.

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
Guys, if you want to keep Homebrew, don't update. Nintendo has the ability to auto update now.
You have been fed LIES. Filthy ones at that. <_<

The autoupdate thing was dreamed up by doomsayers when 3.4 came out. Has anyone on 3.4 been automatically put onto 4.0? NOPES! And it's not gonna happen when 4.1 comes out either.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
im installing 4.0 (on my friends wii)
im keeping a log of everything that worked b4 it, seeing what still works after
then writing up a guide for the proper way to get to 4.0 safely

bottom line, everything should be fine

and for anyone worried about them installing a update automatically (as I was):
a. 4.0 wasnt auto installed
b. turning off wii connect 24 should do the trick

D

Deleted member

The autoupdate thing was dreamed up by doomsayers when 3.4 came out. Has anyone on 3.4 been automatically put onto 4.0? NOPES! And it's not gonna happen when 4.1 comes out either.
Just because they haven't done it doesn't mean they can't. You read the EULA, they have permission to do so, just because 4.0 asked for your consent doesn't mean all the following updates will too.

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman

I just said they can. Just because they haven't doesn't mean they won't in the future.

Zodac

Smash Journeyman
more scare tactics from nintendo then?

This updates adds a lot of neat SD options to your system:
-Support for SDHC cards up to 32GB
drool
-Download games straight to SD Card
barwlgasm
-Launching games straight from SD Card
yum

heytallman

CTALL
I will wait to update my system...I have 3.4 and have not yet hacked my Wii, I was actually planning on doing so earlier, but I don't have a nunchuk in my dorm room lol.

I will wait to hear all the details about this new update, but looks like I'm staying here for a while, downgrading sounds pretty nice right about now, too.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Ok, here's the preliminary report:

I updated to Version 4.0 and...

Everything is fine. I haven't lost any features (well, coming from 3.3v1 that is. 3.2 specific things like StarFall won't work).

HOWEVER! Do not update on your own yet unless you know what you are doing. You must do a couple things to make sure everything works after the update.

I'm not mentioning how to do it here, since I believe some things in the instructions wouldn't be allowed to be posted according to SWF rules. However, I have the following things working fine in Version 4.0:
-Installing/Uninstalling WADs
-GeckoOS to run Brawl+
-Backup Loader
-Wii Shop Channel
-Nintendo Channel
-Http Dumper
-Ability to downgrade to Version 3.2 (and then go back to 4.0 if you wish)

I will write up a guide tomorrow how to safely advance to v4.0

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Ok, here's the preliminary report:

I updated to Version 4.0 and...

Everything is fine. I haven't lost any features (well, coming from 3.3v1 that is. 3.2 specific things like StarFall won't work).

HOWEVER! Do not update on your own yet unless you know what you are doing. You must do a couple things to make sure everything works after the update.

I'm not mentioning how to do it here, since I believe some things in the instructions wouldn't be allowed to be posted according to SWF rules. However, I have the following things working fine in Version 4.0:
-Installing/Uninstalling WADs
-GeckoOS to run Brawl+
-Backup Loader
-Wii Shop Channel
-Nintendo Channel
-Http Dumper
-Ability to downgrade to Version 3.2 (and then go back to 4.0 if you wish)

I will write up a guide tomorrow how to safely advance to v4.0
For the people looking at this post and thinking it's safe to update, I'm going to restate: It isn't. Like he said, it would take some prep before you would be able to use all of that, such as installing custom IOS. If don't, then you're screwed, and stuck with a horribly limited wii.

Zodac said:
more scare tactics from nintendo then?

This updates adds a lot of neat SD options to your system:
-Support for SDHC cards up to 32GB
drool
-Download games straight to SD Card
barwlgasm
-Launching games straight from SD Card
yum
The first two were already possible in their entirety with homebrew. The third is also possible, although it's less convenient. Utility of a 3.2 hacked system>>>>>utility of an updated system. Utility of any system capable of being reverted to 3.2>>>>utility of an updated system.

Zodac

Smash Journeyman
Launching games straight from SD Card

so i just ran out of space on the wii harddrive, does this mean i can load and run wad files (like super smash 64) from an SD card?

just got smash 64 to work on wii like 2 minutes ago but i had to delete the internet channel to fit it on...

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
You cannot run .wad files directly from your sd card, no. The purpose of a .wad file is to install the channel. The files that the game reads are in .bin format.

It is already possible to copy games to your sd card to free up space, which takes very little time. The method that nintendo uses to load games from the sd card will result in longer load times and additional flash wear, since it has to load the game from the sd card into NAND every time you want to play it.

MarioShadow

Smash Rookie
there some way to install homebrew channel
without Twilight hack now in some Wii 4.0 now?For example, if people who already have the wii homebrew installed with me through MSN Homebrrew the channel and the homebrew I move to my sd card for my Wii and consequently that it is 4.0 …. work?

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
there some way to install homebrew channel
without Twilight hack now in some Wii 4.0 now?For example, if people who already have the wii homebrew installed with me through MSN Homebrrew the channel and the homebrew I move to my sd card for my Wii and consequently that it is 4.0 …. work?
If english is your first language, then you seriously need to learn how to communicate better. If english is not your first language, then I can understand the errors. I'm having trouble figuring out what you're trying to say, so you're probably gonna need to rephrase what you're trying to say, hopefully in a clearer fashion.

If I'm right in what I think you're trying to say, you're asking if it's possible to use a copy of the homebrew channel from another wii and load it via 4.0's sd loading capabilities? Unfortunately, no. Channels from one wii cannot be placed onto a different wii. You have to actually install the channel on your own wii before you will be able to load it from your sd card.

MarioShadow

Smash Rookie
If english is your first language, then you seriously need to learn how to communicate better. If english is not your first language, then I can understand the errors. I'm having trouble figuring out what you're trying to say, so you're probably gonna need to rephrase what you're trying to say, hopefully in a clearer fashion.

If I'm right in what I think you're trying to say, you're asking if it's possible to use a copy of the homebrew channel from another wii and load it via 4.0's sd loading capabilities? Unfortunately, no. Channels from one wii cannot be placed onto a different wii. You have to actually install the channel on your own wii before you will be able to load it from your sd card.

yea you figured perfectly

then without the twilight hack has no way to install the HBC channel?

ratts

Smash Apprentice
All this and more:

Since you updated to 4.0, you cannot downgrade. Not being able to downgrade means you can't use any of that, the savegame extractor, or install any channel files or custom IOS. There's probably more I'm missing, too.
wow, just wow, I already have those things, I upgraded, and I can downgrade whenever I want, seriously where are you getting your "facts"?

seriously, it would be constructive, and less insulting to everyone here's intelligence if you would do some research (you are a researcher aren't you) and get some evidence before spouting off whatever the hell makes you feel happy.

seriously, this is how rumors get started.

Top Bottom