• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii System Menu 4.0 Update - Safe Upgrade Guide Is Up

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
So many different questions that are confusing lol

wait for my guide comnig later today for the safe way to update

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I installed the HBC last week, so I doubt that I'll give it up so easily. Besides, I have no SDHC cards in my possession.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Something just urged me to update my Wii System. I guess it's that feature of reading data on SD cards that got to me. Now I'm messed up.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I don't have the time to read all this so i'll just ask a simple question.

Will or will not I be able to continue to use the homebrew channel normally if I get this update.

Just give me a yes or no.

I like using my Texture Hacks alot and I also like to visit the nintendo channels.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Anyway, I have one question. How do you downgrade your Wii? ChiboSempai mentioned that we can downgrade our Wii to version 3.2, but I'm not sure about how it's done.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
dapuffster - yes, but dont update yet. talk to me on aim or something if my guide isnt out yet

M&SG and everyone else - i will describe to everyone how to when i make my guide.
im going to continue working on it now. i was working on it earlier at work but my stupid boss gave me other work to do lol

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
M&SG and everyone else - i will describe to everyone how to when i make my guide.
im going to continue working on it now. i was working on it earlier at work but my stupid boss gave me other work to do lol
I should probably tell you that my HBC can no longer execute on my Wii. Hopefully you can solve this dilemma with your guide.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Ok here is the beta of my guide:
http://followingrevolution.com/guide/

The reason I say beta is that I wrote it all from memory while at work. When I get home from work later I'm going to follow my own guide to update my own Wii to make sure it works correctly. Everyone can try it now if they wish, but remember, if you fail to follow instructions, you might brick your Wii. I am not responsible for any bricks resulting from this (though it's unlikely)

Essentially, but following this process for updating to Version 4.0, you will still be able to:
-Install WADs
-Use the backup loader
-Use the homebrew channel and all applications like GeckoOS
-And just incase you need to, have the ability to downgrade to Version 3.2U

Revven

FrankerZ
You can also now use Waninkoko's Firmware 4.0 Updater that updates your console to 4.0 WITHOUT the IOS's that fix the trucha bug and the other bugs (meaning you get access to all the features of 4.0 but, you can use all the old applications and such without them not actually working).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Well this is just great!! The key to downgrading to 3.2 requires the HBC, and I can't even access it. Looks like I'll have to wait until a new method is developed.

Boy am I stupid, and I actually installed the HBC last week.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
You can also now use Waninkoko's Firmware 4.0 Updater that updates your console to 4.0 WITHOUT the IOS's that fix the trucha bug and the other bugs (meaning you get access to all the features of 4.0 but, you can use all the old applications and such without them not actually working).
That mean I can use everything that V3.2 could by doing this? Because I have V3.3U and can't do some stuff. Also, do we have to turn off WiiConect24 for this too or na??

Revven

FrankerZ
That mean I can use everything that V3.2 could by doing this? Because I have V3.3U and can't do some stuff. Also, do we have to turn off WiiConect24 for this too or na??
No you wouldn't have to turn off WC24. Search for the Firmware Updater 4.0 on Google (can't link to it here).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Well, I may have lost the HBC for now, but it's a small price to pay if you want to gain the ability to load channels through your SD card. Plus, with the ability to use SDHC cards now, I can now consider buying an 8 GB SDHC card. I just hope that my SD card reader works with SDHC cards.

Hopefully, the Team Twiizers will find a way to update the Twilight Hack. After all, I only had the HBC for one week when I had to erase it.

ratts

Smash Apprentice
I don't have the time to read all this so i'll just ask a simple question.

Will or will not I be able to continue to use the homebrew channel normally if I get this update.

Just give me a yes or no.

I like using my Texture Hacks alot and I also like to visit the nintendo channels.
yes

10char

Revven

FrankerZ
Although the HBC may work in 4.0, it is not guaranteed that ALL APPLICATIONS FOR IT WILL WORK. I am pretty sure I've heard that Gecko OS does not work in 4.0 ... but I may be wrong.

Disaster-sama

Smash Cadet
NNID
El_huracan
Although the HBC may work in 4.0, it is not guaranteed that ALL APPLICATIONS FOR IT WILL WORK. I am pretty sure I've heard that Gecko OS does not work in 4.0 ... but I may be wrong.
You sir are !wrong.
Contrary to what most people have said about homebrew and 4.0, geckoOS does not work with brawl (btw I'm using a brawl ntsc backup). I'm not sure what the update did, but my brawl backup used to work without having to use homebrew before AND it was a DVD5. Now, wii prompts me a "error has occurred" message, and gecko just freezes when I hit A button to launch the game.
I haven't tried with my original brawl though.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i heard about this right after i made my guide lol

however, does it still give u full access to things like shop channel and stuff? idk
im content with my method. and im also working on another thing to install there to let me play wads like GeckoOS off of my SD Channel

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
Forgive me if this question is stupid or noobish in any way.

Would it soon be possible to install the Homebrew channel without the Twilight Hack because of the ability to run channels directly from the SD Card?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Forgive me if this question is stupid or noobish in any way.

Would it soon be possible to install the Homebrew channel without the Twilight Hack because of the ability to run channels directly from the SD Card?
Sadly, no. The current version of the HBC will not run, even if on an SD card. If you want to download the HBC, you'll have to wait until a new method for installing it is developed.

Hopefully it's a new version of the Twilight Hack since that's the safest way to download the HBC.

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
Here's another useful thing for you people who update: If you have any custom channels (like a backup loader channel or GeckoOS as a channel, etc.) then it won't work when launched from the SD card because such channels use the fakesigning glitch that was patched out of later system updates. This guide patches the bug back in so the channels will work from the SD card:
http://www.yafaze.com/wii/menu4.0hack.html

Lil'E

Smash Apprentice
Is downgrading from 3.4U to 3.2U really as simple as those 3 steps in your guide?

From what I've encountered from google, people have hell trying to downgrade. This just seems kind of easy.

Also, it says that it requires an internet connection. This has nothing to do with WiiConnect24 being disabled or enabled correct? The HBC won't be affected after downgrading too right?

A lot of silly questions probably but I'm just trying to be as safe as possible before I attempt this on my Wii.

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
No, WiiConnect24 doesn't have anything to do with it. Your HBC will be fine afterwards as well. And yeah, what's in the guide is all you have to do, assuming you have the programs in question.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Just a small warning to those who have the HBC AND updated to System Menu 4.0.

DO NOT erase the current version of the HBC from the Wii System Memory. If you do, you can no longer execute it, even from your SD card. The channel has to be saved on the Wii System Memory in order to function.

This is based on what I've encountered when I lost access to my HBC.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So...does Wii Menu 4.0 prevent anyone without homebrew from installing it, or are you still able to downgrade to work the Twilight Hack?
Based on ChiboSempai's guide, if you don't have the HBC when you upgrade to System Menu 4.0, you're out of luck. This also applies to if you have the HBC on your SD card since that will NOT run if the HBC is not saved onto the Wii System Memory.

If you run into this scenario, you'll have to wait for the next version of the HBC installer if you want to install the HBC. I'm in this jam right now, and it's not pretty, even for someone who only had the HBC for 1 week.

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
Could I get any look at this SD Card channel? I wanna see what it can do. :p

I'm never updating either.
It may be possible to semi-update. Meaning you get things like SD Channel but not the stuff that blocks homebrew (like Shop ISO). If SD Channel is a channel you just need a WAD.

GirugaMarc

Smash Apprentice
will preloader still work with waninkoko's 4.0 firmware?

edit: SD channel isn't a channel

a little SD card icon appears on the bottom and you can click it and load games from there

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
^what do you mean by preloader?

from my experience every single thing works on the 4.0 with safe update method except the 3.2 only applications like Starfall.

The SD Card stuff works like this:
On the home screen there is a little picture of a SD Card on the bottom that lights up when a SD Card is in. When you click it, your brought to a new menu that looks like the Wii Menu, but with a Black background. Theres a whole bunch of pages, enough for over 200 games I think. All of the games on your SD Card each have a little channel icon. Click on it, start it up, and it temporarily moves it to System Memory for it to run (well, it doesnt say that, but thats how it works) and the load time is surprisingly fast. No more than 10 seconds for a big N64/Wii Ware game (usually less though) and like 3 seconds for a NES game or something.

4.0 blocks all ways of installing the HBC as of now. So yup, if you never got it before 4.0 and you updated, your completely out of luck. Unless maybe if you hard modded your Wii. Then perhaps there's a way, but not that I know of. I'm sure everyone is hard at work finding a new exploit, so I'm confident they will have a new method soonish.

Sukai

Smash Champion
M&SG, man, that sucks.
I'm sure, our pals at Wiibrew will find a away around, the Wii can't update it's firmware, it can only block certain access areas, they just need to find an alternative route around it, it's impossible to completely cover it up, that involves game patches, which the Wii is incapable of.
Instead of the game patch, Nintendo just blocked access directly to the console, in contrast to preventing it's existence on the game.
A temporary fix, but a makeshift one, that is easy to work around no less.
I won't be updating. No need to launch stuff from my SD, I only know one friend in person who owns a Wii, and it's not really a big deal.

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
will preloader still work with waninkoko's 4.0 firmware?

edit: SD channel isn't a channel

a little SD card icon appears on the bottom and you can click it and load games from there
Preloader won't work.

kuenzel

Smash Ace
Ok so I havent updated yet and wanted to run GeckoOS codes for brawl, the thing is its a SDHC card. The channel booted properly but when it went to launch the codes it said "SD error" or something.
I also cant save replays on it.

I'm guessing both these reasons are because its a SDHC card, because everything worked fine on my other, normal SD card.

So does Updating to 4.0 fix these problems? Will I then be able to save replays/Run GeckoOS off an SDHC card?

Revven

FrankerZ
Ok so I havent updated yet and wanted to run GeckoOS codes for brawl, the thing is its a SDHC card. The channel booted properly but when it went to launch the codes it said "SD error" or something.
I also cant save replays on it.

I'm guessing both these reasons are because its a SDHC card, because everything worked fine on my other, normal SD card.

So does Updating to 4.0 fix these problems? Will I then be able to save replays/Run GeckoOS off an SDHC card?
No it does not fix these issues. There's a possibility that when the new Gecko OS brkirch is making comes out it'll use more a up to date libogc but, if it doesn't, you're going to have to buy a different SD Card.

Top Bottom