• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wifi is one of the best ways to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
People often say that going to tournaments is the best way for a player to improve. While tournaments can help significantly, I'd like to disagree on a certain level.

Wifi is given a bad stigma. People say it doesn't help at all, is useless and if anything, just makes you worse. This is pretty well.. untrue. Honestly, I've learned more and gotten better from wifi than I have going to the many tournaments and smashfests I've attended in real life.

Now, I'm not talking about "With Anyone." That thing is utter garbage. If I use it I always pick MK and easily outplay the low level players because well.. 999/1000 times I have much more experience than them. I play it when I'm very bored and have no one else to play. Let's be honest, With Anyone is geared towards the casual player. You won't get better playing here, especially since the lag is often much worse than a simple 1v1.

Wifi gives you the proper match up experience you need to be able to go to a tournament and know what to expect from each character. It lets you delve into your character more to discover more options that he or she may have in certain situations. It makes you smarter. When I play wifi I feel like I have to be one step ahead of my opponent because I must account for the input lag.

If you want to get the most out of wifi, find someone who is way better than you and is willing to **** you repeatedly. Don't play a player way worse than you that will allow you to get away with a ton of stuff that normally you would get ***** for in tournaments. If you're able to find a high level player that you can learn from you will quickly improve and soon be able to compete on a high level as well (though don't expect to overcome your mentor most of the time, he gets better as well and since he may have essentially taught you how to play the game (depending on just how much he taught you) he probably has a good idea of what you are going to do in each situation).

Don't let wifi games be your only practice. Because once you go out to the real world and play your timing may be very screwed up. You want to practice your control before and after wifi in TRAINING MODE. You don't have to play against a CPU, just make sure your control is perfect. You want to try and get to a point where you don't make mistakes (not talking mental mistakes, but physical mistakes so that your character does exactly what you want them to without fear of messing up). I'm talking down to the pixel, if you want Marth to be able to tipper a fair every time then aim for a certain part in the back ground of the stage and just Short Hop Fair repeatedly and try to hit it. A lot. And I mean a lot. Practice makes perfect. Do it every day if you can. Make your character look very smooth. Having excellent control over your character is very important.

Wifi combined with training mode is what brought me and a lot of other rising top players (not saying I'm a top player) to the tournament scene. Without it, I wouldn't have been able to compete because I lack transportation to be able to go places near every day to play. By all means, tournaments and talking to top players will help substantially. But that's on the weekends (usually not every weekend), get your **** down during the week and learn your match ups. Though if the input lag/visual lag is terrible, don't bother :laugh: :mad088:

Discuss...

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
I 100% agree with this. Over Wi-Fi you recieve much more experience from a larger range of players and characters. It is easier to find specific match-ups. A majority of the people at tourneys will most likely use characters higher on the teir list. Playing through Wi-Fi gives you a much more rounded experience since you can specifically find people who play a character you need play against. It also gives you easy access to practice almost 24/7 where as offline it is not always so easy to find suitable opponents to practice with. I have no doubt that Wi-Fi has made me a better player offline, there is so much I have learned by playing with people online. I have found myself placing higher and higher at each tourney I go to offline due to the experience I have gained from playing online.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
there's no doubt wifi allows for some great opportunities and learning experience. not to mention I got Brawl specifically because it was also an online fighter. and it definitely has led to an increased knowledge in movesets and combos.. I've noticed that many brawlers have 2-6 or so strategies which they'll cycle through during a match. facing 3 different marths each with a fairly unique style and between 2 and 6 distinct attack patterns / defensive strategies will amount to a whopping total of up to 18 different strategies. well that's probably exaggeration but the idea is sound. wifi allows for a great mix of talent, far more than i ever got playing tekken when we had to rely on physical locations to play.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
And yet you still won't play me on Wifi. </3

Its more character specific then anything imo.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
I concur. I always get peeved when people talk about how terrible wifi is. If it weren't for wifi, I would still be a casual player with probably less than half of the ability I have today.

Splice

Smash Hero
Yeah Wi-Fi is really good way to get good. After i Vs. someone i think it'd be a good idea to talk on MSN and share what you learnt about each others playstyles and how they were predictable/punishable in some ways and then you can work on that and learn more.

Ange

Smash Lord
Very good read.

If it werent for wifi, I wouldnt have had my experience and knowledge today that Ive gotten from it, because apparently tournaments don exists in Sweden.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I'm very glad this has been brought up because I completely agree. Whilst offline will always be better, Wi Fi is a good tool to use for improving and putting things into practice. It's also a good way to get the general gist of match ups, providing that you are realistic and that the lag is good. People aren't going to be colliding with Peach Bomber every few minutes in a normal match that's for sure xD

Ademo

Smash Apprentice
Very good read.

If it werent for wifi, I wouldnt have had my experience and knowledge today that Ive gotten from it, because apparently tournaments don exists in Sweden.
Det är för att nästan alla Smashers härifrån föredrar Melee.
Men det var ju någon turnering i Tyskland för ett tag sen där flera svenskar var med.
Fast du kanske inte vill resa så långt?

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I really wish I had a better internet connection..... then maybe I could agree. :urg:

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
It really depends.

If you live in a region that's really active in Brawl and you can get out to tournaments/smashfests/random friendlies at people's houses, then you don't need Wi-Fi. Online will always be better in terms of no lag.

However, if you don't live in that active of a region, you're still going to need to improve. If you have a decent connection and are playing good people online, Wi-Fi can really help with match-up experience that you won't be able to get from the monthly tournament you can get out to.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
If you live in a region that's really active in Brawl and you can get out to tournaments/smashfests/random friendlies at people's houses, then you don't need Wi-Fi.
I disagree; I mean, maybe for some very active regions for Brawl, but not everyone has access to 'friendlies' on a regular enough basis to get the experience needed for winning tournaments (as that is the ultimate goal of practice for most people, I would assume).

If you have a decent connection and are playing good people online, Wi-Fi can really help with match-up experience that you won't be able to get from the monthly tournament you can get out to.
The keyword is monthly, WiFi can be used daily, any time of day. I agree with Steel2nd and I think that WiFi is an invaluable resource for all Brawl players, and that it should be used and credited as such.

Wild ARMs

Smash Journeyman
I'm agreeing with Steel2nd, as I am going through the same thing. who I call my 'Brawl Yoda' will always get better as I do, and will stomp me into the ground every time we play.
Because of this, I not only found new characters to use and expanded my variety, but I've learned new things and my skill in Brawl has increased.
Though, probably not enough to even be recognized on this site... >.<

MarthFanatique

Smash Journeyman
I agree with this a lot. "With anyone" is crap, laggy, and full of idiotic taunt parties (which sux when you want to kick some grASS!). I don't have many people in my area who play competitive Brawl, and, since I just got wi-fi a bit a ago, I've been finding bunches of friends, and it seems that I'm getting quite better. Today, I play against like the only competitive person that I know of in my area, so I truly shall test my skills in like...1.5 hrs.

HOWEVER, people reading this! Listen up and re-read it if you missed this part: you do need to play w/o wifi too or else ur timing will be off (though it only takes one match to get used to again).

~*Voom*~

Smash Cadet
I have to say this is very true people say"you can't get better on wifi"
You have proven them wrong!

tmntrules2003

Smash Cadet
i agree with the fact that you get better on wifi and i would agree that is the best way to get better if my controller didnt lag while playing other people. i dont lag just my controller and i dont know how to fix it.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Your controller doesn't lag >_> It's called input lag.

It really depends.

If you live in a region that's really active in Brawl and you can get out to tournaments/smashfests/random friendlies at people's houses, then you don't need Wi-Fi. Online will always be better in terms of no lag.
Notice I said "one of" the best ways. If you live in an area where you can play top players every day then that is definitely a better method.

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
allisbrawl singles ladder actually has some pretty good players on there quite often. It lets you play people from all over. We all love to bash wifi because of lag, but I think everyone secretly agrees it is actually a good way to practice.

RumPuffin

Smash Rookie
Wifi has brought me from being utterly destroyed by friend with ease to only being destroyed by him when he is trying his absolute hardest. Also I beat him some times now XD

Shao-tan

Smash Cadet
I highly disagree. Wifi screws your timing, spacing and a lot of other substancial things. That's no good for matchup training. I played on Wifi some weeks and it just made worse. Offline matches vs. good people is the best way to improve.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
??

Your spacing isn't perfect on wifi, but it's definitely something you can get used to. Like I said, you don't fall into the trap of wifi timing etc because before and after it you are doing a lot of your practice in training mode working on control.

And again, I said "one" of the best ways. If you have good players you can play daily then go for it. A lot of people don't.

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
I agree totally what you said, if you are one of the better people in your area, you'll learn far less than getting your butt whipped online, and one of the few ways if your in that situation to get better, as there's bound to be people better than you online, like in these boards, and one way to improve. It's also an honor that people are worse than you - but are willing to fight again and learn to be as good as one. Online has it's obvious flaws, but sometimes it's indeed the best way to practice.

That's why I try to face anyone I can, to improve! :)

Auron

Smash Cadet
I see wifi as being training weights for me. You can learn a lot of things from something so simple.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I highly disagree. Wifi screws your timing, spacing and a lot of other substancial things. That's no good for matchup training. I played on Wifi some weeks and it just made worse. Offline matches vs. good people is the best way to improve.
If you are playing somebody and get that lovely blue circle next to their name, that means you are playing with a few frames of lag. IIRC Nintendo has it set up so that it takes a minimum of 6 frames to send information between the Wiis.

6 frames. That translates into a tenth of a second. Now if you are a top level player who actually has a frame perfect game this could be an issue. But the topic on hand is for learning.

Are those 6 little frames really going to mess up your spacing so much that you just cannot play anymore? Maybe you play Marth, and those 6 frames would; so learn to buffer. Brawl gives you 10 frames to work with here. If you can buffer attacks than that 6 frames of lag literally becomes nonexistent. And now look what you did there. By learning to buffer online, you should now be able to buffer successfully offline which will tremendously improve your game.

You can go and seek out a specific character to play against, and learn your matchups. You may never have played a Sonic at a tournament, so now what happens the first time you do? You are going to get beat down by that Sonic because you have no idea what to do in that matchup. That is what online is for. Really as long as you give yourself some time offline to adjust like going into training mode or playing some friendlies, online won't affect your gameplay at all.

If you say that it makes you worse, that just means you need a better internet connection, or your router is in the other room.

I get a blue circle with anyone in state, most people in my region, and the occasional blue from other areas. Everyone else is a green circle, and again it just takes a match or two to adjust my spacing.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Same here, usually with anyone in the state I have blue connection and green connection with others that have good connection even if they live a great distance away.

If there is so much lag that it makes you a worse player that is simply because your individual connection is bad. Like I am Plum said with a good connection that little bit of lag can't make too much of a difference.

And What Steel Second is saying is that it's a good way to get better, not necessarily to prove your skill. With average connection the Spacing and Lag certainly isn't the best way to play serious "proving yourself" matches, but it still is one of the best ways to learn and improve your match-up experience . I have learned quite a few ~combos~ from people over Wi-Fi as well.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
I agree with most of you here, I feel that by playing the people here I have already improved my game play. I don't have a ton of people to train offline against and I dont plan to go to tournys or smashfest so wi-fi is my only way to improve! Sure we all john about it but deep down we all know we love wi-fi :roll:
....I feel sad that my connection is utter crap right now though.....

Ikenomon

Smash Apprentice
Like the most of you, I agree that Wi-Fi is one of the best ways to improve. I've learned alot from poeple on Wi-Fi, especially with people on my friend roster. Before Wi-Fi, in matches I kept rolling from my opponent(s) and didn't know what to do really. Now that has changed, and that's one of the huge changes with me when expierementing with Wi-Fi. I would say that now I am pretty decent, but not very awesome and there is much more space for improvement on my side. I feel truly blessed to have Wi-Fi available to me in SSBB.

Bakithi

Smash Apprentice
Det är för att nästan alla Smashers härifrån föredrar Melee.
Men det var ju någon turnering i Tyskland för ett tag sen där flera svenskar var med.
Fast du kanske inte vill resa så långt?
HELL YEAH, I TOTALLY AGREE.

Anyway, I'm with you a 100% on the way you view Wi-Fi. I was getting tired of people saying that offline play is the only way to get good, and that Wi-Fi doesn't matter at all... ugh...

~Zack~

Smash Journeyman
I agree that wi-fi is the best way to improve. I use to be complete garbage and couldn't even win matches on basic brawl, but I've gotten a lot better thanks to wi-fi, from learning new combos to learning timing for certain moves :p

Ademo

Smash Apprentice
HELL YEAH, I TOTALLY AGREE.

Anyway, I'm with you a 100% on the way you view Wi-Fi. I was getting tired of people saying that offline play is the only way to get good, and that Wi-Fi doesn't matter at all... ugh...
I thought I was the only one. :O

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
BTW guys, I really want to reiterate the part about Training Mode. You can't rely on purely wifi to get better. Simply not playing ANYONE and just knowing the physical ins and outs of your character will make you better.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
BTW guys, I really want to reiterate the part about Training Mode. You can't rely on purely wifi to get better. Simply not playing ANYONE and just knowing the physical ins and outs of your character will make you better.

I don't understand what your saying there.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
I'm talking about control again.

You have to master control over your character. If you've ever watched videos of top players and noticed how fast and smooth they look, that's control. It is as small as making sure you do the correct thing you want to do every time and as large as knowing every option you have in every situation vs any character.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
In that simple playing is more or less the best way to get better, and playing over WiFi allows you to play more and against a wide variety of opponents, I fully agree.

Good read :)

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have been inspired to make wifi my main mode of training for now.

Congratulations on converting me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom