• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why yl is low tier

rhan

Smash Hero
I wish I did combos so I could make a combo video.... Eff me and my spammy ways.....

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
TRC you know you wanna come down here and get some matches with me right? Come on! YL v YL and Falco v YL :D
currently my only way to record is via my friend's macbook pro (which is how we did the entire UBW1) but once I find a portable way for me to record, like a VCR and some tapes, I am considering going on a big road trip staying at people's places into Georgia, hit up Alabama, MAYBE Tennessee if I can, then retreat home. But this is a way's off, lots of planning required for that, but I need the VCR first...

rhan

Smash Hero
If I can find my extra VCR I would send that to you. And you don't need bblank tapes to record the matches. Just put some scotch tape over the square hole on the bottom of the tape and the VCR will let you record over it.

Just a little trade secret on why I have many recording tapes....

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
As much as I want to I don't see it being in the realm of money possibilities, if only because I am taking an extremely length road trip to see Sonata Arctica in Kentucky in October, and MagFest to see The Megas in January. Between that, and the travelling needed for recording, I won't have any moneys unless I can find a **** job immediately. why do they have to be so illusive? blar

short answer : probably not, sadly

eagletrent242

Smash Apprentice
If you have anywhere between 50 and 65 bucks you could invest in a Dazzle. I've recently invested and can now record matches on my computer but haven't gone to any local smashfests to record yet. I can also stream to websites such as JTV but my bandwidth is a tad low so I prefer not to.

Edit: Regardless of what you say, I'll always be your homie :)

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Young Link forums are quite selmodly on topic.

I could have made a thread but it'll be easier if we just ramble in one thread like we always do. I would go back to the stage discussion one but I posted last there so... haha

I already picked out all the music for the vid :D

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Surprises!!!
Though I'll admit it's in the vein of UBW part one!

*pretends he's hiding important information and runs away like a spider spy wtf am I doing candlejack what the-*

rhan

Smash Hero
Young Link forums are quite selmodly on topic.

I could have made a thread but it'll be easier if we just ramble in one thread like we always do. I would go back to the stage discussion one but I posted last there so... haha

I already picked out all the music for the vid :D
Oh yeah... I forgot about that thread...hehe.. I'll update it soon.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Did you know that YL's rolls are tied for 2nd last (bowser is last) but his spot dodge is tied for first?

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
Did you know that YL's rolls are tied for 2nd last (bowser is last) but his spot dodge is tied for first?
I did not know that, who else has the best dodge?

Also, how good is Young Link's dashdance, compared to most other characters?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
63.6363.....% or 14/22 - Dr. Mario / Falco / Fox / Kirby / Link / Luigi / Mario / Pichu / Pikachu / Samus / Sheik / Yoshi / Young Link

like half the cast lmao

i don't have a ranking of dash dances. most people don't have access to frame lists so i like to throw out facts that really should be common knowledge by now...

sadly SDM only did frame data on YLs grab and none of his moves (at least in the version i have)

D20

Smash Lord
Young Link's dash dance game is terrible (relatively) since his grab is highly situational and very risky. Outside of that, I dunno... it looks pretty clean.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Thanks eagle :D
I played nearly nine hours of Young Link matches today. Jesus Christ.
From 2:30-7pm, then from 9:30ish to 2:00am

I wasn't as into it later in the day but did get some good firespikes (lol)
Maybe enough to make a trailer, meh, if so it'll be up in like a week.
My fingers are incredibly tired :p

eagletrent242

Smash Apprentice
Caveman?! Wtf?! He was good but never as good as Jash! And ya TRC I know how you feel. I could attend tourneys but its so troublesome! I have so much fun just smashing with people from Bham.

LLDL

Smash Hero
why is young link low tier? When was the last time YL won a tournament? Please link me to it, otherwise there is no argument.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Why is YL lower than link?

Dair, nair, fsmash, dsmash, ftilt, usmash dash attack (horizontal hit) kills better
dash attack(speed),Ftilt (speed) dtilt (speed) usmash, projectiles are better

Can't be shine inf and can tech shine spikes
Faster and more agile
Smaller target
Better wavedash and dash dance
Can wall jump

He definitely has a lot more edge guarding options and moves to get them off the stage quickly. On paper it seems like he should be better but why isn't he better than link? What am I missing?

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
I never thought Link was better. What does Link have going for him? Longer hookshot, bomb jumps, and an up B...

I dunno, I used to like messing around with Link, but after I picked up YL I could never go back to him.

Cia

das kwl
Link is better. He has the range, power and recovery advantage.

Link
- grounded Up+B is ****
- hookshot is ****
- Nair hit box is ****
- ALL sword attacks have better range than YL's
- Dthrow > Up+B auto-combo.
- does NOT have a disadvantage against ZELDA!!!! (Like YL)

Young Link
- Nair is stronger
- Dsmash kills horizontally
- Bomb > Dair is **** (and makes him **** Jigglypuff)

Link just has more going for him.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Since when does YL have a disadvantage against Zelda?

and he certainly doesn't **** Puff provided the Puff isn't a noobzilla. Dair doesn't mean anything if you can never land it. **** puffs.

More range doesn't compare to speed, power, versatility, and the most badass projectiles in the game. The bomb difference alone is enough for me to believe YL is better. Factor in usable arrows, a more controllable boomerang, and the speed to actually attempt camping where Link is too **** slow to do so.

I was under the impression Dthrow to Up B was escapable?

Ylink's dtilt meteor is more usable
Ftilt is not laggy as hell and usable
He has a fire spike for crying out loud :D

In the end, in my opinion anyway, speed makes him better. The only think I prefer on Link is his bomb jumps, forward smash, and sometimes his dash attack. This is only my opinion though.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
the match up chart says link is better, but they have tons of problems with their low tier numbers.

eagletrent242

Smash Apprentice
I agree with TRC. I've read the numbers and they just make more sense. Putting tier aside and knowing that, you still see so many more Link players than YL players! More speed and A FIRE SPIKE! Why would anyone play Link over YL if everything points to YL as being better but maybe having 2 less matchups?

FIRE SPIKE!

Skler

Smash Master
YL only has better matchups against characters he can be a campy ***** to (Peach, Puff, Samus) whereas Link does better against almost everyone else. Sure being ***** by top/high tiers is still being ***** by top/high tiers, but Link does it better. Link is also a lot better vs a bunch of low tiers (all of them that YL can't just whorecamp to hell).

I just think it's funny that YL wins his matchup vs Link and is still lower on the tier list even though they're clones.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Link is better. He has the range, power and recovery advantage.

Link
- grounded Up+B is ****
- hookshot is ****
- Nair hit box is ****
- ALL sword attacks have better range than YL's
- Dthrow > Up+B auto-combo.
- does NOT have a disadvantage against ZELDA!!!! (Like YL)

Young Link
- Nair is stronger
- Dsmash kills horizontally
- Bomb > Dair is **** (and makes him **** Jigglypuff)

Link just has more going for him.
Yea his range is better and his tether is better, obviously link has more power but its funny how yliniks ftilt, dair, nair is stronger than links. I think dsmash might kill better left and right than links dsmash up.

Is links nair hitbox better than ylinks even though its weaker? I know its a **** move but idk how it compares to yl except for strength.

links Up b on the ground is definitely a **** move, but it seems like that is the only reliable move to get them off the stage with. Can yl do dthrow>dsmash?

I think I saw that ylink has a little CG with the uthrow against some characters, not sure about link

D20

Smash Lord
Young Link can dthrow -> dsmash several characters at certain percents. For example, Young Link can do it to Sheik from about 35% to 75%.

Top Bottom