• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why yl is low tier

kupo15

Smash Hero
Young Link can dthrow -> dsmash several characters at certain percents. For example, Young Link can do it to Sheik from about 35% to 75%.
Isn't this almost as good as links dthrow>up b? I'm sure its a combo with other top tiers as well. I know utilt/uthrow can also combo into dair (firespike and non) I wonder if ylink can do a "drop zone" on spacies dtilt>walk off fire spike

I always cry on the inside at ylinks fast fall. I think that is one of his biggest weaknesses.

Cia

das kwl
Since when does YL have a disadvantage against Zelda?

i thought it was pretty common knowledge, but it's been like this since someone figured out that just 4 Bairs/Fairs is enough to kill YL and his projectile game pretty much negated by NeutralB.

Link would probably have the same problem w/ Zelda except he has range on his side. Zelda's aerials completely outrange YL. except for his Zair.. LOL

kupo15

Smash Hero
Something that is really important with any low tier characters especially is power shielding. If you can get really good at powershielding, I don't see how ylink won't have a shot at competing

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Uh. Neutral B? really? that laggy *** move is going to stop YLink? jump throw boomer down, she does B, YL attacks...

I thought it was common knowledge Zelda is the trashiest character and would get wrecked by any YL player who doesn't suck. Her grab is almost slower than his for god's sake.

Zelda's aerials outrange, but the woman can hardly short hop anyway. Just throw stuff at her and force her to use her lame B move and then pressure her. For instance, once she does B, wait for hitbox to vanish, run in and Bair landing behind her shield. What's she gonna do, Bair out of her shield? So shield and then uair or something. Zelda has like no options. YLink has several. If range meant everything, Jigglypuff would never beat Marth.

@ Kupo
You can do drop zone, kinda, on fast fallers. For example let's say you're on Pokemon Stadium's left platform. You grab Falco and up throw. He DI's towards center of stage, you run off and uair. I don't think you can dair, cause of how much damage you need to stun for uthrow or something, but uair leads to it. One of my favorite combos in my first video involves this procedure.

on a side note, if Link DI's badly, YLink can dthrow chaingrab him, and it's kinda funny. It's really easy to tech chase Link too. (I think)

And yes YL can CG up throw on Falcon, Falco, and Fox. though Fox the least I think.

D20

Smash Lord
Isn't this almost as good as links dthrow>up b? I'm sure its a combo with other top tiers as well. I know utilt/uthrow can also combo into dair (firespike and non) I wonder if ylink can do a "drop zone" on spacies dtilt>walk off fire spike

I always cry on the inside at ylinks fast fall. I think that is one of his biggest weaknesses.
No, dthrow -> dsmash will never KO with good DI. In addition, it is considerably harder to dthrow -> tech chase dsmash with YL than it is with Link's up B.

Zelda is a rough match up for Young Link. Play a good Zelda and get ready to throw your controller.

Also, whoever gets uthrow CG'd by YL should quit the game.

Cia

das kwl
Uh. Neutral B? really? that laggy *** move is going to stop YLink? jump throw boomer down, she does B, YL attacks...

I thought it was common knowledge Zelda is the trashiest character and would get wrecked by any YL player who doesn't suck. Her grab is almost slower than his for god's sake.

Zelda's aerials outrange, but the woman can hardly short hop anyway. Just throw stuff at her and force her to use her lame B move and then pressure her. For instance, once she does B, wait for hitbox to vanish, run in and Bair landing behind her shield. What's she gonna do, Bair out of her shield? So shield and then uair or something. Zelda has like no options. YLink has several. If range meant everything, Jigglypuff would never beat Marth.
:)

are you going to any big tournaments in the near future? RoM? Pound? if so we should money match. Zelda's jumps are perfect spacing her aerials. kinda like jigglypuffs except she doesn't get 5 of them. and it's because of those jumps that jigglypuff can do well against marth.

Also, understand that you're not the only one who can learn in the middle of a match. I'm not going to neutral B to reflect a boomerang.. it's used to reflect the bomb which will stun YL and destroy his approach. And when young link needs to back off to pull a bomb or throw a boomerang, Zelda will be there to rain on your small shield with Fairs. Your only safe option will be to roll and chances are, the smart Zelda will have predicted that will be ready to punish.

Batmansince1939

Smash Journeyman
Zelda's aerials outrange, but the woman can hardly short hop anyway. .
her short hop is perfect it allows her to double fair or short hop fair jump fair some more.....the woman really only has one good move her fair and her short hop is built perfectly for that
p.s:she has more then just her fair but i am no zelda player but i do know that fair is nasty

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Can't afford to get to Pound or RoM but I definitely would accept. This makes me want to go even more.

Lol, yeah, I'm gonna just throw a bomb that carelessly. My combo video wasn't named Use Bombs Wisely cause it's a Star Fox quote. I don't see how YL can ever lose that matchup. You throw stuff. Reflect a bomb, I won't be hit by it, I'll be in the air, or I'll catch it, or match it with an arrow/boomer, man there's sooo much to do to Zelda, she's easy to combo too, but I guess I'm the only one who sees it.

Zelda is slow. YL is fast. Unless we're at YS I'm not even close to being worried about the matchup. You throw stuff. She gets hit, shields, or B, and jesus you can follow all of those up. She's not fast enough to lock you down, which is what makes most top tiers such a horrible matchup. I just can't see it. Zelda has like 3 options total and YL has like 20.

I very rarely talk myself up in this game, at all, when people tell me "UR BETTER THAN JASH LOL" cause I made some videos I never believe that sort of yap. But this? Zelda? Sorry I just can't let that go. I'll never lose a set to a Zelda. Unless they use Down B. I apologize if I sound offensive or anything, but it's like someone telling me Kirby beats Ganon or something like that.

How the hell can people ever think PEACH is a good matchup and then think Zelda is bad!? I just don't understand. But I'll quit yapping because there's no way we could possibly solve this without playing and that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

kupo15

Smash Hero
No, dthrow -> dsmash will never KO with good DI. In addition, it is considerably harder to dthrow -> tech chase dsmash with YL than it is with Link's up B.

Zelda is a rough match up for Young Link. Play a good Zelda and get ready to throw your controller.

Also, whoever gets uthrow CG'd by YL should quit the game.
Yea, I know dthrow to dsmash won't kill, but at the very least it could set you up for an edge guard and ylink has many edge guarding options. And when dthrow dsmash doesn't combo, I'm sure that it could combo into the nair which will get them off.

I've seen in (wak's????) videos of ylink CGing fox and it seems pretty legit. Something I'll def try the next time I play my friend's fox. Dunno if that comment was for lulz or like "that guy must suck to get CGed by ylink." :p

TRC: That combo vid is so awesome! Just...wow!

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
I understand. Yo Vanz just so we're clear I mean no bad feelings whatsoever, and I'm gonna up my attempt to get to RoM or Pound so we can play. Maybe someone from Atl South will be able to take me. We can play the matchup extensively and still do the MM first if you want. Just had to clarify cause sometimes (especially lately) I've been misunderstood on the internets quite a bit. If I can make it to RoM or Pound I'll be sure to let ya know

On a nice note, UBW2 : Boomer-Anger is **** near done. I am only waiting for The Megas to release their Acoustic album and a couple more clips! Hope you guys like this one, I personally like it more than the previous ones.

About the up throw chaingrab, I find it easiest to do on Falco. Fox gets out often when I try it on him.

eagletrent242

Smash Apprentice

oh, Eggm's been raving about that video. But yeah, just try to imagine losing a stock because you got Fair'd 4 times. (and the first one often connects to the second)
First, I can't imagine not shielding an attack I KNOW I'm trying to have sweet spotted on me.

As for the YL v Zelda debate. A lot of good arguments have been thrown out but you can't just look at what could happen. Tiers are determined on meta game. And YL's is much higher. The match up is literally 60/40.

TRUTH: Zelda can kill YL with quick aerials.
FALSE: YL's shield is broken.

TRUTH: Most of a match, YL is spamming 3 different projectiles and aerials.
FALSE: Zelda's neutral B makes YL go :confused:

Granted neither character is great but both have ways of killing helpless victims. Meta game v Meta game = YL will win. I find it odd though that someone would say that a few fair and bair sweet spots determine a match.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Time for everyone to smile and maybe laugh some?

I finished the UBW2 Bloopers video, and I like it almost as much as the real video sadly. Lots of inside jokes; but I hope you all find it funny too. Refer to the video's thread for links and whatnot.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=247823

once again I wanna know who wants a quick shoutout... I don't want to do it without permission (well, I'm doing one for Jash and Chip even though they don't post in here ever) I got Eagle, Rhan, Buzz, Laijin. D20? Kupo? Sveet? Vanz? ChivalRuse? anyone interested? :p

kupo15

Smash Hero
once again I wanna know who wants a quick shoutout... I don't want to do it without permission (well, I'm doing one for Jash and Chip even though they don't post in here ever) I got Eagle, Rhan, Buzz, Laijin. D20? Kupo? Sveet? Vanz? ChivalRuse? anyone interested? :p
Nice video!

I don't deserve a shoutout :(

rhan

Smash Hero
I miss out in too much when I'm gone for a day. The school blocked Smashboards this year.... And I know no proxy's...

Sveet: I'll accept, only if your down B is broken.

rhan

Smash Hero
umbreon lets do zelda dittos at pound 4 :D

and rhan, i wont go sheik. MM my zelda?
Deal. I'll put 5 bucks towards that.

Me going to Pound 4 is about a 85% chance. The other 15% is dependent on if I can get off work and if I can get others to help contribute to the gas funds.

The school blocked Smashboards... that is upsetting.

I've gotta get to Pounddd
I know right? I mean like last year I was the only kid on the site anyway. Other kids don't really care for the internet unless they're manga readers. But those sites are still able to access.

In other words. My school hates me.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
keeping in mind dittos don't prove much, Young Link dittos are one of the funnest matches in the game. too much action for one stage IMO

I need to figure out some help from GA/NC to get to Pound. RoM is not gonna happen.

Like said I will take any Zelda challenge between 0-20 bucks, except Umbreon for the insult, his range is 30-50. I don't like throwing this out here without confirmation if I can go but I can't say I'm not riled up about this stuff :p

I can't wait to A) take Zelda money or B) be proven wrong and lose money, either way, honestly, I can't wait.

And too see my fellow Lil' Lankers in person! Rhan, our teaming is long overdue... XD

rhan

Smash Hero
Young Link dittos aren't fun to me only cause I'm possibly the best Young Link in SoVA. There are a few others here that play him but not like me. It's not really a challenge...

So how much fun can a Young Link ditto be if both Young Link's are good?

TRC: I'm still down with teaming. I probably won't go Young Link though. I've had bad experiences with him on teams. (Mainly me getting partner killed with too many projectiles). Only person I can team with when I'm Young Link is my partner Shaeman. Link + Young Link is amazing.

So in teams I'll go either Samus, Sheik, or Falcon. Unless you reaaaaaaally wanna do Dub YL.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
i...dont...want..to...

must.....resist......

cant...fight....anymore

Cool Story bro.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
So in teams I'll go either Samus, Sheik, or Falcon. Unless you reaaaaaaally wanna do Dub YL.
Yeah we don't have to do YL. In fact our team name could be "YL mains not using YL" or something better I'm sure we can come up with. I would use Falco and Fox more than likely. So hyped, I was looking at plane tickets today. I might be able to make it after all!!! <3

I just love all the projectiles flying around in YL dittos is all. so much action!

rhan

Smash Hero
That's amazing. I'm hyped. I'm pre-reging as soon as I get my check next Tuesday. :)

I got more characters I can play pretty well so when we meet up I'll experiment with a bunch of other characters and see which fit best for tourney play within our playstyles.

Batmansince1939

Smash Journeyman
rhan's samus is amazing =')

but rhan you might have some competition their was a old smasher here in sova that main'ed yl he is asian and has a fo-hawk(i think that how you spell it laugh) he was before stars i think but yea he was amazing i will try to find him for ya...if you don't know who he is already

oh yea rhan is all of stars coming to pund 4? kp and ivy?

D

Deleted member

Like said I will take any Zelda challenge between 0-20 bucks, except Umbreon for the insult, his range is 30-50. I don't like throwing this out here without confirmation if I can go but I can't say I'm not riled up about this stuff :p
50 is fine. I'll make sure to get some practice from chu so we can record it and actually get a real match.

TheLake

Smash Master
HOLY

SHIZ

How did I miss the young link vs zelda debate?! I uber fail!

I'll mm ANY young link at uhh....somthing lol pound 4 or ROM 2 presumably

We should have a tv set up just for the occasion (:

Top Bottom