• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why yl is low tier

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
SDM said:
When Young Link fast-falls, his top speed in falling speed doesn't change for some reason, he just accelerates to his top speed faster, giving Young Link the most useless fast-fall. If you tried to fast-fall with Young Link after falling for a fraction of a second, you wouldn't go any faster, because you'd already be at full speed.
O_o RaaAApeeEd

rhan

Smash Hero
Everything serves a purpose. That's definitely not the reason why though.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
he lacks options, range, priority, killing power (dsmash is legit but difficult to get off unless your opponent is unfamiliar with the matchup, but that's pretty likely...), he gets killed easily, shinespiked easily, easily edgeguarded if opponent knows what they're doing, has a laggy grab that doesn't lead into as much as most better characters, etc.
his projectile game is nearly unrivaled, though, in the right hands. the fast fall thing is amusing. probably why in Tiny Melee, Young Link falls slower after a fast fall than normally. rofl.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
LIL LANK IS DA BEST CHARACTER IN THIS GAME.

He can spike people.
with fire.
from the hilt.
of his sword.

who's ***** now.

well I guess we are cause YL is still low tier but GET SOME

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Because his Nair doesn't stick out for a billion years and cancel into other actions if you hit them.

He dies easy.

He has bad range.

He also gets outcamped by Fox / Falco.

Sheik can chain grab him to death and keep him out really easily.

He sucks at getting inside Marth / Falcon.

To his credit his vs floaty game (Puff / Peach) isn't bad.

But the above 5 are horrible.

The Phenom

Smash Lord
Lack of kill moves Dair isn't to reliable and the knockback of the Fair is pretty decent but can't get to many kills with it until after 100% I think 1 3/4 of a stage from it's edges. Range is awfully bad if you don't know how to use your projectiles; the Ftilt takes forever and can't really kill(who would get killed of that move in these days now?). People that don't know this match up would still see this coming I think.

Anyways that's my input.

eagletrent242

Smash Apprentice
I don't think YL is anywhere near top tier but I think he deserves higher than Low Tier. Does it matter? No.

As for dying easily, he has one of the largest ranges of recoveries available if timed right.

Who DOESN'T get outcamped by Fox/Falco lol

Who said he doesn't have range?! What are you talking about? Granted its not as LONG as blasters but when used correctly provides great room for attack :D

I personally think he's ranked so low because the "best" (cough cough) YL was Jash and honestly his skills were useless. He could wavedash and that was about the jist of it. Never seeing any spotlight put him where he is but overall he's not a bad character. Whoever mains him needs to pick up a top tier as a secondary. I use Falco and find YL more useful for some fights where the opponent may be too light to control easily with Falco.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I don't think YL is anywhere near top tier but I think he deserves higher than Low Tier. Does it matter? No.

As for dying easily, he has one of the largest ranges of recoveries available if timed right.

Who DOESN'T get outcamped by Fox/Falco lol

Who said he doesn't have range?! What are you talking about? Granted its not as LONG as blasters but when used correctly provides great room for attack :D

I personally think he's ranked so low because the "best" (cough cough) YL was Jash and honestly his skills were useless. He could wavedash and that was about the jist of it. Never seeing any spotlight put him where he is but overall he's not a bad character. Whoever mains him needs to pick up a top tier as a secondary. I use Falco and find YL more useful for some fights where the opponent may be too light to control easily with Falco.
Anyone can just refresh ledge invincibility and Bair his Up+B to death. It's not a good recovery. It's long, sure, but it's slow and punishable, lags him if he lands onstage, and his hookshot range is bad so it removes a lot of the unpredictability from his recovery.

If YLink's best strength (his varied projectile game) is completely nullified by Fox and Falco's ability to severely outcamp him, that is a problem.

His close-combat range is awful. If someone gets in on him, he's probably in a lot of trouble. His projectiles are good but they're slow to pull.

Jash was amazing when he still played. You are ******** if you think all he could do was wavedash.

On that note, Young Link sucks.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
He made 3rd round pools at Pound 3 and beat PC / Cort's Peaches. On his blog he apparently beat Neo in 2nd round pools at Pound 3...

>____>

I'm pretty sure that none of the other YLinks would have had a chance of doing that.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
why is anyone taking this topic seriously? melee came out forever ago. YL will always be low tier. nobody is actually complaining about it, either. but I guess we were really bored here.

Jash was/is the best YL, proven over and over again. yet another discussion that I thought was understood as fact. Until a YL player does better at some major tourney than he is, Jash will go down in history as the number one YL, at least, that's how I see it.

eagletrent242

Smash Apprentice
That's how it should be seen. The last tier list came out almost a year ago didn't it? I hope people didn't misunderstand me. I'm not complaining at all at YL's placing. Melee, although much better than Brawl, IS the past. At least for now... :)

rhan

Smash Hero
LIL LANK IS DA BEST CHARACTER IN THIS GAME.

He can spike people.
with fire.
from the hilt.
of his sword.

who's ***** now.
Seriously who needs a shine or a tipper or a pew pew when you got one of these??

Only pansies....

Alphicans

Smash Hero
On any stage other than FD, I think y.link can camp out falco/fox. This is talking from experience, but it might be just the players I am playing, who don't think camping y.link is necessary (which is pretty plausible rofl).

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
pretty sure Fox can def outcamp with jumping lasers all day and just run and laugh at whatever YL does. kinda like fox does vs Jigglypuff. then he waits and comes in and uthrow uair or something. Fox is mean.

Falco, well. ****.

rhan

Smash Hero
Young Link cannot out camp Falco. I actually tried Young Link vs Dr. PP (Best Falco main in NC). Couldn't even pull out a bomb.

It doesn't even matter about the stage. As long as Falco can keep a good lazer game and pressure on you, you're in his nest of torture.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
dude DrPP is a rapist, no lie. and he can camp if he wants too (you know he's good when he can outcamp a Jigglypuff who's ledge camping, lol S0ft, gayest finals I ever saw)

he's such a cool dude too.

but yeah Falco is like lol YL? really? ****

KillaLotus

Smash Cadet
to be honest I find YL to be better than link bcuz link is too slow and with his laggy grab and large size and fastfalling and chaingrab vulnerability i much rather use YL who is one of the chars I main

eagletrent242

Smash Apprentice
They both have advantages and disadvantages. Its really all about how you like to play. YL is by no means anywhere top of tier charts but sure is a hell of a lot of fun to play and CAN compete with anything but IC and maybe Samus from Middle Tier down lol FIRE SPIKE FTW! and screw you Nana...

eagletrent242

Smash Apprentice
My brother has literally mastered Samus but doesn't really play competitively. He's going into his freshman year of college so he might open up a bit but when it comes to someone who really knows what their doing with Samus, I find myself having problems lol

rhan

Smash Hero
In the Samus vs Young Link matchup I believe that Young Link has it in his favor 65/45. I play against a Samus player 24/7 who's Samus is about equal to mine. Young Link can do so much more to Samus than what Samus can do back. Missles? Nair through them. Bombs? Use yours back. Recovery? Spam arrows off the cliff. You wanna CC? I grab. Most of the match relys on spacing and how frequently you hit. As long as you keep a good projectile wall and a boot out there n you're bound to win.

Samus is so simple to play against with Young Link.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
The only player I had for a long time was a very good Samus player who pretty much only ever used her. played him tons. he refuses to play me when I'm YL cause he says it's one of the worst matchups, as well as Link :p

I dunno, Samus' usual tricks that make her do well against others doesn't exactly help against YL, especially since he primarily kills upward and that's the way to go vs Samus.

Samus really hates our bombs.

eagletrent242

Smash Apprentice
Yep :) I've noticed that keeping up massive spams of bombs help. What screws me over is my occassionally being screwed by missile spamming the second I'm off the edge. Sometimes it's easy to recover and others its incredibly hard. It more has to do with where I'm hit.

rhan

Smash Hero
A well aimed arrow can take out a missle or two. Also sweet spotting the edge can greatly dodge the missles (Homing and Super).

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
LOL

I remember a while back when Rhan was asking the same thing

I think we came up with "no, there isn't" as the final answer.

the usual "spam all day" which just doesn't work cause Marth players know how to catch and predict and **** with their sword that's like 3 times the size of yours ><

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Eagle, I play quite a lot of young link and live very close to you, we should hook up. This friday there will be b'ham melee (and brawl).

As for the reason I came in here....has anyone found a way to recover against a good fox? Or is it just completely impossible?

eagletrent242

Smash Apprentice
Pretty impossible unless you're above and can get an arrow off just before your UpB so he can't dsmash you.

But ya I know! My fridays are busy but I'm good friends with Xee so I might go with him the next time he heads over there.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Ahem.
I didn't feel like making a thread so I'm announcing in this silly thread.
-
I'm starting recording for Use Bombs Wisley 2 this Wednesday
-
Wish me luck brothers, I gotta pull off some insane **** to top my last one(s)
I'll probably make a trailer too, depending on how quickly I obtain footage.

Firespikes forever

Top Bottom