• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why People Think Ike Sucks

illinialex24

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n65mFd6Q8ko&fmt=6

This guy posted it as proof he could beat me, and I immediately saw two noobs playing but one who was getting owned because he smash spammed and held smashes, used B-moves very improperly, didn't grab, never shielded, and almost never used aerials. I think this is a good example of why people can be so cocky randomly. This is a stereotype of Ike, and I think a lot of Ike's should try going on other forums to get rid of this stereotype for at least players who come to forums.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
We haz a new sticky saying how mediocre Ike is.

And if people want to think that he sucks, it's their problem when some good Ike comes from out of nowhere and beats the living s*** out of them.

Also how is the progress going on our vids?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Good, but I'm not saying he's good, I'm saying he doesn't suck. I'm saying he's got little tourney potential but not none at all and why a lot of people think he sucks completely the video above.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
My PoS computer isn't loading videos quite as fast as I want it to...

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940

*facepalm*

Someone pay Azen to use Ike and win a crap load of tournaments. That would fix the problem. XD

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I like how with every other character, the scrub is considered the exception to the meta-game, not the rule....

but somehow

just SOMEHOW, Ike is in bizzarro land where all we do is spam smashes and b moves when they wont work, even the skilled ones.

Let everyone think Ike is at a 7-3 disadvantage to the entire rest of the cast, who the hell cares. His tournament potential is low, but I'd rather be in a world where eveyrone thought I played like -that- and got their **** kicked in when they realized otherwise.

Rant aside: There are plenty of ikes who range from amazing to at least extremely competent. But by plenty I mean... a dozen, in 50 states. How many people outside of illinois, texas, maryland, nevada, and new york will run into them though?

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
that sticky is because people think Ike is broken and we're going to get another one since this thread is just as bad an issue as the other one was.

edit: I thought NY/NJ didn't think like that ryko. Everyone thinks like that over here though.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
that sticky is because people think Ike is broken and we're going to get another one since this thread is just as bad an issue as the other one was.

edit: I thought NY/NJ didn't think like that ryko. Everyone thinks like that over here though.
NY/NJ is weird. They know that the 4 ikes around here shouldnt be slept on, but all that means is they try extra hard to play as gay as humanly possible so they don't ever run the risk of losing. That said, 3 of us play other characters (and one of the aforementioned 3 doesn't even really play brawl anymore) and that pretty much means silven is alone in a region where anyone who is anyone has extensive good ike practice, which isn't even necessary to win the match anyway.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I don't think Ike sucks, I'm just pointing it out there. I see it all the time online and people point to videos like this for evidence.
Click my, hitori's, or kirk, metroid, or arturito's YT channels and feel free to throw them in someone's face when someone misrepresents ike, but honestly dude it's not even worth the effort to do so lol.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I can summarize that Ike in three points:

- Hmm, I appear to have been knocked upwards. I suppose that means it's time for an ERUPTION.

-Hmm, I appear to be just a bit away from my opponent. I suppose that means it's time for a QUICK DRAW.

-It's ALWAYS time for an FSMASH.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
There's an Ike in Nevada?

You're not talking about me, are you?

I hope you aren't...

But it's fine if you are.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
lol was this needed? Seriously illinialex half of the threads you make are pointless and for the lulz which I can appreciate from time to time.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
^^

Exactly.

Now let's get another sticky saying how Ike, for he isn't cheap, but he doesn't suck Aether.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I can summarize that Ike in three points:

- Hmm, I appear to have been knocked upwards. I suppose that means it's time for an ERUPTION.

-Hmm, I appear to be just a bit away from my opponent. I suppose that means it's time for a QUICK DRAW.

-It's ALWAYS time for an FSMASH.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

lol was this needed? Seriously illinialex half of the threads you make are pointless and for the lulz which I can appreciate from time to time.
No lol. I just wanted to say some people think Ike is broken, some think he sucks, and others have realistic expectations but he is one of the most common on the extremes.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
lol my youtube channel sucks. My last good fights where with bored which where from like o wait 2 weeks ago nvm those are good. But the most recent after that are from summer where I sand bag for 2 other Ikes just to upload there vids. I got tournament videos but the people I fight are to gay and I actually did gay in that tournament got into like a everyone is a noob here why try mood.

edit: I'm going to upload some replays I have saved one of them if really kool. I should get more videos now that I have the over 3 minute hack though.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Here in Rochester, NY, I only know of 1, maybe 2 Ikes that I consider pretty adept. Living so close to acclaimed Ikes yet at the moment unable to travel and play is sort of bittersweet.

I personally haven't played any Ikes yet that I could say "that guy totally outclasses me," yet I wish I could. I think I play Ike a bit too safe and don't resort to kill moves early enough on skilled players for fear of getting punished.

I have around 200+ replay vids with kills I liked or games I played well on/played skilled opponents, but at the moment there's no way for me to upload any of them =/

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
You can't just "assume" a character is so bad (even though Ike has been proven he isn't the best character) with just a fight with an Ike like that. BTW, I really don't get why this was posted, I think we all know why Ike isn't the best character.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
You can't just "assume" a character is so bad (even though Ike has been proven he isn't the best character) with just a fight with an Ike like that. BTW, I really don't get why this was posted, I think we all know why Ike isn't the best character.
It was posted because I was saying why people make judgments to fast about Ike and how people judge him on videos like this when they need to play against a better player.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
It was posted because I was saying why people make judgments to fast about Ike and how people judge him on videos like this when they need to play against a better player.
Okay I see, but it's not really fair to judge on an Ike that really has no experience at all.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Rant aside: There are plenty of ikes who range from amazing to at least extremely competent. But by plenty I mean... a dozen, in 50 states. How many people outside of illinois, texas, maryland, nevada, and new york will run into them though?
Then there are other good/decent Ikes who just happen to live in places with pretty much no smash scene at all and thus no one ever hears about... (Mind you, I'm not talking about myself, but rather my brother who lives in Marseille, among probably a certain number of others. Closest tournament I've seen to his location was on the other side of France >.< )

Nic64

Smash Lord
holy **** awesome comments

Second off, I don't even know what you mean by DI since I'm not that much of a dork to be playing in tournaments and the such. Third off, Mallory IS a blind 5 year old, and she'd like an apology.
XFD

SwordmasterXXXI

Smash Journeyman
Some people still have that opinion of Ike. A poster on gamefaqs posted:"Press the shield button. it owns Ike exponentially."

Places like gamefaqs are too ******** to help so let them think that Ike is terrible.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Some people still have that opinion of Ike. A poster on gamefaqs posted:"Press the shield button. it owns Ike exponentially."

Places like gamefaqs are too ******** to help so let them think that Ike is terrible.
I'm from gamefaqs. >_> And I was the one that found the grab releases on Falco and Sheik.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord

I was from GFaqs originally. It's true that there tend to be a large amount of noobs there, but that's not exactly different from SWF, after all.

It's not good to generalize a site based on one person.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Like wise. I used to help Silverflash with his tier list before SBR's list came out. Now I only go to the Brawl boards to correct clueless people about Ike when I'm bored.
Heh, funny. I was around the GFAQs SSBB boards back when it was still known as SSB:R. So much **** history there.

Top Bottom