• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why **** jokes are NEVER okay.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
While I didn't really care the first few times seeing this issue come up, seeing it so often now does make me hesitate a little before I say **** in any circumstance now tbh. I try to just go with "Wrecked" since **** may offend some people.
What about people in car/train/boat/plane wrecks? They also suffer from PTSD of various degrees and some have had their loved ones taken from them during said events. What's so different between using the word "****" and "wreck"? Hell, saying "murder", "kill", "slaughter" (etc), feels just as bad as ****.

BSP

Smash Legend
If enough people start complaining about me using "Wrecked", I'll probably start feeling bad about it too. But wrecked is a lot broader in its meanings than **** imo, so I'll be less inclined to feel as bad.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
**** is more than a subject some people don't like, I'm honestly baffled by how you don't understand about this.
Perhaps instead of being so intent on defending your scewed ideology you should spend a little time researching the psychological, emotional, physical and long term effects **** can have on its victims.
As I've looked, there has been mentions of racism in the thread, which is as equal as **** itself.
They're both considered sensitive and downright sensitive, yet most of the public makes up racist jokes.

I'm looking more into it, so I'll be replying here about it.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
If that's a problem, then we have to stop saying the word "beat", as in "Armada beat Mango". Because le gasp, that means you support battery and/or assault.
Let me just say that this made me lol.

beat (verb)
a : overcome, defeat; also : surpass —often used with out
b : to prevail despite <beat the odds>

Come on...

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
Wow.
You're an insensitive moron.

**** is in no way a "humorous image of one person asserting their dominance over another".
Seriously what the **** is wrong with you?

It's one thing the be ignorant, but it's another thing when you get called out yet you continue to try and make excuses for why your behavior is acceptable.
You seriously are the worst type of person, and I'm not sure why I granted you a response.
I can tell you're the type of person who won't admit when they've done something wrong, no madder how much it's proven.

God forbid we ask people not to be offensive *******s without compromising their sense of humor.

And you smashers REALLY wonder why you guys can never get a girlfriend and have girl problems?

I seriously cannot with you people and your excuses in this thread.
Obvious troll is obvious. I shouldn't be wasting time giving you a response either, but I hate it when ignorant people are so self-righteous about things they just want to stand up for, for the sake of arguing and being an all-around douche.

Of course **** isn't funny, I never said it was. The fact that you think I said that shows your lack of reading comprehension, but what can you expect from a person like you.
In the context that I said, it's perfectly fine. You know why? Because it's a jooooooooke, and it's painfully obvious that it's not supposed to be taken in any literal sense whatsoever. Look up the word "figurative" sometime. Seriously?

I've never seen somebody so mad and so stupid at the same time before.

You can keep posting nonsense if you like, but I'm done using my time to respond, because completely ignoring any further posts from you sounds like a great plan by me. Not worth the eye effort.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
If enough people start complaining about me using "Wrecked", I'll probably start feeling bad about it too. But wrecked is a lot broader in its meanings than **** imo, so I'll be less inclined to feel as bad.
Someone I know from the high school I graduated wrecked and was killed in the accident. **** YOU!

True story, but sarcasm.

Unfortunately, if we are going to have to make things that could possibly offend someone off limits, as Spelt says, we won't really have anything to say for it will always happen. We have no idea what will send some people off, or what is associated to awful/traumatic experiences a person has experienced/been around. We just have to work with what we know, and we can't always know everything.

It's true I think it is less agreeable to make certain topics and words off limits than to say things that have a higher probability of making people feel hurt (like ****), but that does not mean it makes much sense to use such words all of the time and roll the dice and hope no one demands you to watch your mouth. It is too bothersome and not worth it to try and get away with some things. There are better ways to joke. Just because it is wrong to tell people not to say certain things doesn't mean we have to enforce it, the world isn't perfect, and although it could be considered flawed thinking to act imperfect to fit the imperfection of humans, but that is what you get for trying to incorporate the man-made idea of morality with the world.

Not sure if what I just typed makes much sense, but it took too much time, so I'm posting it. :p Closing comment, just because people joke about a topic, contrary to popular belief, doesn't mean they don't take the topic seriously. It's common for us to make light of things that cause us grief and hit us hard.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Let me just say that this made me lol.

beat (verb)
a : overcome, defeat; also : surpass —often used with out
b : to prevail despite <beat the odds>

Come on...
One thing, It bothers me when people correct others from a ****ing online dictionary for one word just to know if it's a verb or whatever.

If you know what they're trying to say, don't even bother being wise by putting that up.
Just saying.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Of course **** isn't funny, I never said it was. The fact that you think I said that shows your lack of reading comprehension, but what can you expect from a person like
dammit, you beat me to it.

Anyway, I don't see a problem with using the word "****" to describe something, as someone said above me, "Armada ***** Mango". It's just a hyperbolic way to mentally illustrate a humorous image of one person asserting their dominance over another.
And I'm supposed to be the one with the lack of reading comprehension.

BSP

Smash Legend
Someone I know from the high school I graduated wrecked and was killed in the accident. **** YOU!

True story, but sarcasm.

Unfortunately, if we are going to have to make things that could possibly offend someone off limits, as Spelt says, we won't really have anything to say for it will always happen. We have no idea what will send some people off, or what is associated to awful/traumatic experiences a person has experienced/been around. We just have to work with what we know, and we can't always know everything.

It's true I think it is less agreeable to make certain topics and words off limits than to say things that have a higher probability of making people feel hurt (like ****), but that does not mean it makes much sense to use such words all of the time and roll the dice and hope no one demands you to watch your mouth. It is too bothersome and not worth it to try and get away with some things. There are better ways to joke. Just because it is wrong to tell people not to say certain things doesn't mean we have to enforce it, the world isn't perfect, and although it could be considered flawed thinking to act imperfect to fit the imperfection of humans, but that is what you get for trying to incorporate the man-made idea of morality with the world.

Not sure if what I just typed makes much sense, but it took too much time, so I'm posting it. :p Closing comment, just because people joke about a topic, contrary to popular belief, doesn't mean they don't take the topic seriously. It's common for us to make light of things that cause us grief and hit us hard.
I think I somewhat agree with you. I'll put it this way: anything I say could be considered offensive by someone...so I'll just take my chances with words that are less likely to cause offense, and if whatever I use is really that offensive to someone, they'll speak up and I'll stop.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
And I'm supposed to be the one with the lack of reading comprehension.

Um... he wasn't saying **** is humorous in that post. He was saying that it is used as a placeholder to denote that someone just humorously dominated someone, say for example, in a Smash Brothers match. The phrase in of itself holds almost no meaning.

I think I somewhat agree with you. I'll put it this way: anything I say could be considered offensive by someone...so I'll just take my chances with words that are less likely to cause offense, and if whatever I use is really that offensive to someone, they'll speak up and I'll stop.
Yeah, I made it all convoluted, but that is probably the best thing to take from it. Just do the best with what we got, expecting any more, by the logic of most peoples' moral compasses, is truly what is wrong. Life and people are imperfect. Under perfect settings, making a joke about something like that would be fine, but when viewed through the veil of someone with emotional bias (not meaning the previous two words in a negative fashion in this instance) that it can appear wrong. Like mentioned in the first part of this post, saying **** as we are talking about it only attains its meaning from the viewer. The people who use it hold none, whereas someone with sensitivity towards it places a lot of meaning to it. That is where both people end up being wrong, because one is now offensive and the other is what is applying that to what is being said. So as a result, just not saying **** prevents the chance that of even happening.

A lot less troublesome.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
One thing, It bothers me when people correct others from a ****ing online dictionary for one word just to know if it's a verb or whatever.

If you know what they're trying to say, don't even bother being wise by putting that up.
Just saying.
I'm just saying it's a little ridiculous to try and argue that the only definition of "beat" is physically assaulting someone. I could just say "beat also means to win over," but Webster says it better and has more authority than I do.

So no, I don't know that he's actually trying to say that, because it certainly didn't look like he was. It looked like he was saying "'X beats Y' actually means 'X physically assaulted Y,'" because that is what he said, and that's wrong.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
He is indirectly saying it can be funny.
He's making a correlation between **** and humor and making light of it by comparing it to "one person asserting their dominance over another".

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
As a part-time rapist, I have to say that the OP's assumptions about us are incorrect. We generally assume that most men are rapist like ourselves because most people lie and are trash. The only difference is that other men have the charisma, status, and the looks to get away with it.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
He is indirectly saying it can be funny.
He's making a correlation between **** and humor and making light of it by comparing it to "one person asserting their dominance over another".
Black comedy, by Wikipedia.

Black humor, by dictionary.reference.com.

Couldn't find any other definitions on the first couple results from Google, so whatever, I'll just leave it here.

Just because they're jokes doesn't make them bad. If people are feeling insulted and/or hurt because of such jokes, all they have to do is speak up to see if they can stop it, or leave. It's only bad if the people making the jokes continue doing so just to make that other person suffer, otherwise there is nothing wrong with such comedy. It's simply a form of comedy, and it has been around for hundreds of years (first recorded by Jonathan Swift's works). Not to mention it is also a form of satire, a widely accepted form of comedy, and very popular amongst the masses as well.

By him making a correlation between "**** and humor", he is possibly talking about the black humor and/or satirical way society uses the words, for example, "Armada ***** Mang0", or "ICs **** Ganondorf". In those forms, all it's implying is that one of the parties has absolutely defeated the opposing party by a large enough margin.

Renth

Smash Hero
Let me put this into perspective, some kids enjoy running their mouths rather than trying to talk about an issue. (Not that I consider this an issue in anyway shape or form.)

I'm going to **** you, oh crap! you're getting *****! Sit down son the **** TRAIN is coming through CHOO CHOOO!!!

Yea.. a Victim of being "*****" wouldn't even take the slightest bit of offense from these obnoxious statements. You think before someone "*****" someone they are like YEE DAWG YOU GETTIN *****!

No, let's make a bit more sense of this:

A very close friend to me recently took his own life for reasons i'll never know or understand, he was a great guy that being said I will continue. If someone around me you hear people say these things everyday. "I'm so tired I could die" "I feel so sick I could kill myself" I don't get mad or immediately post a huge blog and get a bunch of angry people who don't know how the real world works, to say "O M G!!. You totally did not go there girlfriend! You best not be talking about suicide like that! ITS WRONG!!"

Seriously, It's a saying a phrase and we're going to use it. It in no way shape or form means we're going to physically hold you down and have our way with your body.

Renth

Smash Hero
you should spend a little time researching the psychological, emotional, physical and long term effects **** can have on its victims.
When I get ***** I'll deal with those demons then. Your poor attempts at attention are admirable.

Btw, I just forum ***** you.

get ***** OP

renth: also "quit life"

Hahhaha, I completely forgot people say that.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I personally don't use "****". I am not going to hate or be mad at people who use it because, like people said, it's a joke but a joke only goes so far before it can become offensive. You shouldn't have to tiptoe around your words when talking to people but, bringing up a **** joke when you first meet someone is in poor taste. Especially if that person has a tragic past with it.

Just be careful when and where you use it. Now, if you don't care about offending and hurting someone emotionally, then that's just ****ed up and an entirely different subject on its own :/

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
When I get ***** I'll deal with those demons then. Your poor attempts at attention are admirable.
That's a pretty lame thing to say. People should generally have some semblance of understanding or at least sympathy with people in situations that they themselves haven't experienced. Admitting ignorance of any sort of understanding of sexual abuse or **** victims and the psychology behind **** from either angle, and implying that those things are only relevant to **** victims or rapists is fairly disgusting. To me this is more offensive than any ****/molestation joke because I'm sensing a genuine victim-blaming attitude from it. Could be misreading you. I guess you could always go back and claim this was a "joke" but if so it's offensive in its unfunniness.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
What about people in car/train/boat/plane wrecks? They also suffer from PTSD of various degrees and some have had their loved ones taken from them during said events. What's so different between using the word "****" and "wreck"? Hell, saying "murder", "kill", "slaughter" (etc), feels just as bad as ****.
You're always going to offend someone.
Stop talking sense please.

Honestly, this is what it comes down to though. Basically anything can be offensive, whether legitimate or not, to different people.

So either acre about other people's sensibilities, or don't. Cherry picking which terrible thing to say and which isn't is just hypocritical.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Stop talking sense please.

Honestly, this is what it comes down to though. Basically anything can be offensive, whether legitimate or not, to different people.

So either acre about other people's sensibilities, or don't. Cherry picking which terrible thing to say and which isn't is just hypocritical.
You're missing the fact though that the OP is arguing particular relevance in this regard based on using a prediction model on the psychology of rapists. The OP is arguing that the information in combination with his own analysis gives him meta data and is therefore making a case on that data with some belief or the attempt to have the belief that restricting **** jokes would hinder **** crimes.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's a pretty lame thing to say. People should generally have some semblance of understanding or at least sympathy with people in situations that they themselves haven't experienced. Admitting ignorance of any sort of understanding of sexual abuse or **** victims and the psychology behind **** from either angle, and implying that those things are only relevant to **** victims or rapists is fairly disgusting. To me this is more offensive than any ****/molestation joke because I'm sensing a genuine victim-blaming attitude from it. Could be misreading you. I guess you could always go back and claim this was a "joke" but if so it's offensive in its unfunniness.
To be fair, even the most accurate description of such events would still not compare to the actual thing.

If I wanted to be an *** I could bring up the fact that someone telling someone that they need to understand the effects of **** is essentially saying they should get ***** which in itself is a **** joke.

You're missing the fact though that the OP is arguing particular relevance in this regard based on using a prediction model on the psychology of rapists. The OP is arguing that the information in combination with his own analysis gives him meta data and is therefore making a case on that data with some belief or the attempt to have the belief that restricting **** jokes would hinder **** crimes.
I laughed.
If this is true then this thread is more of a joke than I originally thought.

Renth

Smash Hero
Just to clear the air one more time:

This is a blog, it's an opinion about how he feels about the subject matter. My responses are my opinions and thoughts about it. If you do not like what someone who's giving feed back to your blog (which by posting a blog you want feed back) then you should ignore it or not respond. When I see OMFG YOU GUYS ARE SO CLOSED MINDED F YOUUU!!!

Makes you look like a moron.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I generally prefer to tell people "Feel bad about your life, and the choices you've made that resulted in it!" during matches.

Is that ok? Or is it way worse than "OMG get *****!" due to the fact that it is all encompassing?

:yeahboi:

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Why is it that when people talk about ****, they always focus on men ****** women? Yeah, because it's totally impossible for a woman to **** a man, right?

Not sure what to really think about the usage of "****" in smash discussions.

On one hand, it can give a weird messages to families. I always see the scene as college students who do not really care about terminology. But, there is the aspect of smashers who come from protective families and use of "****" bothers parents who are the sole means of transport for some smashers.

On the other hand, it is obvious to many that no ill content is meant and its only used to define some sort of situation in which someone was in a great deal of control.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
Not sure what to really think about the usage of "****" in smash discussions.

On one hand, it can give a weird messages to families. I always see the scene as college students who do not really care about terminology. But, there is the aspect of smashers who come from protective families and use of "****" bothers parents who are the sole means of transport for some smashers.

On the other hand, it is obvious to many that no ill content is meant and its only used to define some sort of situation in which someone was in a great deal of control.
Again, why no censor anything that can hurt someone's feelings.

"He really hunted him down"
*random person was involved in hunting accident and over reacts*

This topic is nonsense, THINK PEOPLE! Just because a word means one thing in ONE sense, it doesn't mean it means that in EVERY sense. Wasn't there a topic about saying "that's gay" as well? Did anyone learn from that thread?

Top Bottom