• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is samus so under-used?

Luxferre

Smash Apprentice
As a Samus mainer since SSB64 was released, i really don't understand why she is underused or considered "worst in the game"

One of my favorite moments was destroying some people from reno who laughed at me for picking Samus. they were shocked because of their ignorance. as i decimated all of them. the snake, the meta knight, the marth, the DK and the Sonic(who was the one laughed first btw lol)

Samus is an amazing character, you are not going to be able to randomly play her at a tournament and expect to win your matches however, like some people do with snake/MK.

I have been trying my best to prove that she is great, i have proven it to AZ so far. beating the best MK/marth/wario/pit/snake/dedede/lucario/kirby/ in the state. at different times of course, and we're all friends so it goes back and forth. but still, I know it's a bit egotistical to base my theory off of this, but it's all i have to base it on, and it's simple.

If Samus can compete with/beat the great meta knights, marths, dedede's, snakes, wario's etc..etc. then she can, in no possible way, be a bad character. I really think most people would think like my description of Reno earlier in this post, basing everything off of whining about 'nerfs' without any real experience to back it up.
Think so too. I stick with samus no matter what other say. Screw them.
Samus is awesome, just hard to learn.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Sorry. I accidentally used my brother's account.

Link is no where near as bad as Samus. Brawl Link is actually better overall than melee link. Samus pretty much just got nerfed into oblivion. She's way too floaty, her projectiles are garbage, her recovery is mediocre at best, and she couldn't kill a fly even if it asked her to. Her only two moves with halfway decent KO power are dtilt, fsmash, and charge shot and neither of those are great moves.
AlAxe, you should know better. Sorry, but your rhetoric and exaggerations aren't going to work on people who actually play as Samus. Let's compare the following:

• Samus' recovery surpasses Link's. If Link uses his Sword Spin, he is kind of like Snake, where he doesn't have enough momentum to actually make it to the stage. So instead, it's better if Link uses his tether recovery. Samus, on the other hand, also has her tether recovery, and she can use her Bombs to return to the stage. There is no unusual lack of momentum for Samus.
  • Samus has more KO potential than Link. Funnily, AlAxe said "two moves" and then mentions three. Samus' Charge Shot, d-tilt, d-smash, f-smash and u-tilt have KO potential. Link, however, seems to have more of a difficult time landing any KO potential. Often times I'll see Link players use the f-smash, u-smash or d-air to defeat their opponents.
  • Regarding projectile, there is one attack that both Samus and Link can charge. Samus has her Charge Shot and Link has his Arrows. The other two attacks take little time to even execute. The Gale Boomerang is easy to dodge, and it can be hit. Samus' Homing Missiles aren't as easy to dodge, since they fly slower as they come to their opponent. They too, can be stopped by hitting them. If Link really wishes to hit his opponent from a far distance, he must rely more on his Arrows. His Gale Boomerang useful. Link's Bombs aren't so great.

Tudor

Smash Journeyman
That's not nice talking **** on reno or Vegas... They are all good people and wouldn't laugh at you for picking Samus because I play Samus. You must have them confused with someone else i think.

EDIT: that was directed at I Feel Asleep, sorry I guess i was a few pages back

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
Seeing the Samus boards this way just makes me kind of sad. Back in Melee I was a major Samus user, and back in SSB64 she was my second favorite (Link nut XD). sadly as most people around here noticed what killed me when I tried Brawl was her projectile games: extremely nerfed, and sadly it was one of my favorite things about her. I visited SWF and tried the new suggestions for Samus, but I just noticed it would never work and changed to Link and, eventually, Lucario. He works wonders for me: despite having one projectile it is really versatile, he can combo almost anytime, and despite being floaty he is still pretty heavy (just above midweight)
I still play Samus every now and then for pure fun, but I really need to struggle to kill my friends, even with her godly dair spike. Still even though I'm tourney worthy with Lucario when I play Samus it's really myself handicapping so my friends actually might stand a chance.
Really sucks, maybe I'll start visiting you guys and try Samus a little harder. She is still one of my favorite franchise characters.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Samus can KO with the Bair and she has a spike. as a peach mainer i know what its like to take a loooooooooooooooong time to KO people. most people i know are turned off by Samus cause her KO power is utter crap when compared to even Kirby at times. but she is still fun and does have more KO ease than Link who really has to stick his neck out at times to KO.

Coldfront

Smash Apprentice
Samus's learning curve is pretty high, as others have said. I'm still trying to combo Fair in DTilt... Haven't pulled it off successfully yet.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Samus has at least six moves that have KO potential.

B-air
D-air
F-smash
Fully-charged special
U-tilt
D-tilt

Remember this before you start blasting her for lacking KO options.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
i stopped using her when i realized i had much more fun and killed much faster with the zero suit.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
Sorry. I accidentally used my brother's account.

AlAxe, you should know better. Sorry, but your rhetoric and exaggerations aren't going to work on people who actually play as Samus. Let's compare the following:

• Samus' recovery surpasses Link's. If Link uses his Sword Spin, he is kind of like Snake, where he doesn't have enough momentum to actually make it to the stage. So instead, it's better if Link uses his tether recovery. Samus, on the other hand, also has her tether recovery, and she can use her Bombs to return to the stage. There is no unusual lack of momentum for Samus.
  • Samus has more KO potential than Link. Funnily, AlAxe said "two moves" and then mentions three. Samus' Charge Shot, d-tilt, d-smash, f-smash and u-tilt have KO potential. Link, however, seems to have more of a difficult time landing any KO potential. Often times I'll see Link players use the f-smash, u-smash or d-air to defeat their opponents.
  • Regarding projectile, there is one attack that both Samus and Link can charge. Samus has her Charge Shot and Link has his Arrows. The other two attacks take little time to even execute. The Gale Boomerang is easy to dodge, and it can be hit. Samus' Homing Missiles aren't as easy to dodge, since they fly slower as they come to their opponent. They too, can be stopped by hitting them. If Link really wishes to hit his opponent from a far distance, he must rely more on his Arrows. His Gale Boomerang useful. Link's Bombs aren't so great.
Sorry but I do play Samus. I just have the common sense to know that Samus is not a great character. Link isn't a great character either but I do believe he is better for a few good reasons. Both characters have not so great recoveries so I'm not going to discuss that. Link has many great KO moves. Dsmash, Usmash, Fsmash, Utilt, Ftilt, Dair, Uair, Fair are the best. I'll admit I did overlook some of Samus's moves that have KO potential but she still has awful KO potential. None of her KO moves are particularly quick or have great hitboxs. In terms of projectiles, Link's arrows also have an edge over charge shot because they can be charged in mid air and lag cancelled upon landing. Gale boomerang isn't a great move but then again neither are missiles. And what you say about Links bombs just isn't true, you've probably just never seen someone use them well. Bombs are great at racking up damage, can assist in recovering, are good for spacing, and can combo( dthrown bomb into fair or nair).

I have nothing against Samus, she's just not a character that you should take to a tourney and expect to win.

Coldfront

Smash Apprentice
I just can't understand why you say Samus' recovery is not so great. That's one area I'm sure she has over most other characters. The only ones with better recovery seem to be Pit and MK.

I feel asleep

Smash Apprentice
That's not nice talking **** on reno or Vegas... They are all good people and wouldn't laugh at you for picking Samus because I play Samus. You must have them confused with someone else i think.

EDIT: that was directed at I Feel Asleep, sorry I guess i was a few pages back
aww... :'(
i am not saying anything bad about reno(corrected the mistake) i was only saying a small group of people from vegas were dumb about characters. judging before they even played me. everyone else from nevada at AZone2 were cool, and it felt nice to actually meet another good samus main <3

as i said before, no disrespect to reno or vegas. just a lil nudge at those guys who did that.
anyways, i don't want an bad blood with anyone on the samus forums.

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice

B-air
D-air
F-smash
Fully-charged special
U-tilt
D-tilt

She's got a varied set of KO options, but they just aren't the most efficient and easiest to land. They definitely aren't go-to KO moves like Snake's U-Tilt or MK's D-Smash/Shuttle Loop; there is definitely more risk in using these:

B-Air is relatively reliable, and I'd definitely label as one of Samus' better options as it can't be punished too easily and kills at a reasonable percent (~150%). It can be difficult to land this at times as it can become obvious that it's coming or the enemy is small.

D-Air not too reliable for straight out KO-ing (star KO), but it makes for a nice gimping move and spike. But utilizing the gimping and spike requires a setup to throw them off the stage.

F-Smash doesn't kill too early, and it is likely to be decayed from regular use in comboes. Its relatively quick though, but it needs some setup and little decay for it to be reliable.

Full-Charged Special this kills at decent percentages, but sneaking this in requires effort in itself. Z-Air, jab, bomb, Super Missile, mind games are essentially a must for this to work effectively.

U-Tilt has some start up lag, but it is nice for a star KO. But the speed of this move makes it not as reliable and allows for easy punishment if not spaced or used in an advantageous position.

D-Tilt the second relatively reliable KO move, it kills at good percent, pretty quick, and has a deceptive hitbox. However, the lag afterwards and the continual use in combos can decay it and make it more difficult to KO with. Setups and work to minimize the decay are essential to sneaking this in.

------

Samus has many options, but they definitely aren't as simple as the Snake U-Tilt or MK's Shuttle Loop. Snake and MK have more moves beyond those two moves for reliable KO's, and the setup isn't as important for them to be effective. I agree Samus doesn't lack options for KO'ing, but she does have difficult in landing these moves compared to other characters. Many are essential for her to rack up damage, and the continual use of these moves can cause Samus to have trouble killing even with her KO moves.

The main problem is not that Samus doesn't have KO options, but that KO'ing with her is not an easy task.

ll Mafia ll

Smash Apprentice
Me vs Lucario.
Online.... meh.

Lucario at 254 damage.
I did a FORWARD THROW for the KO.
Go Samus!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Probably because she's not that great of a character. Despite how she's one of my favorite non-mains, I'd have to say that she's below average like Ike or Bowser. Even a crafty and calculating Samus will have their hands full in a decent number of match ups.

Pi

Smash Hero
She's just different than melee, she is not nerfed, that playstyle is nerfed, but she isn't any lower on the 'tier' list.

She also isn't easy to pick up and win with. There is a lot more prediction when fighting oponents since her only real long & fast attacks are zair and ftilt, any other move she throws out is begging to be punished.

I really, really really hate her Usmash. If you get off only a few of the hits sure you rack up damage but you're gonna get punished as well. It doesn't hit small characters, that last hit is ****ing hard to land. Sliding Usmash man, so great for other characters but bad for samus

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
i use yoshi and hes not that bad just lack of priority and has it. samus in my opinion sucks total balls but hes hes really fun ans i love metroid so i use her.

As a Samus mainer since SSB64 was released, i really don't understand why she is underused or considered "worst in the game"

One of my favorite moments was destroying some people from reno who laughed at me for picking Samus. they were shocked because of their ignorance. as i decimated all of them. the snake, the meta knight, the marth, the DK and the Sonic(who was the one laughed first btw lol)

Samus is an amazing character, you are not going to be able to randomly play her at a tournament and expect to win your matches however, like some people do with snake/MK.

I have been trying my best to prove that she is great, i have proven it to AZ so far. beating the best MK/marth/wario/pit/snake/dedede/lucario/kirby/ in the state. at different times of course, and we're all friends so it goes back and forth. but still, I know it's a bit egotistical to base my theory off of this, but it's all i have to base it on, and it's simple.

If Samus can compete with/beat the great meta knights, marths, dedede's, snakes, wario's etc..etc. then she can, in no possible way, be a bad character. I really think most people would think like my description of Reno earlier in this post, basing everything off of whining about 'nerfs' without any real experience to back it up.
and samus is bad.

no KO moves

kinda slow

overshadowed by almost everyone

alot of stage counterpicks.

on the upside

she can spam like crazy

very good recovery half decnt priority

good jab

so i would say top of low teir or bottom of middle but not the worst for sure

id say link for the worst

B-air
D-air
F-smash
Fully-charged special
U-tilt
D-tilt

B-air - decently reliable
D-air - w/e
F-smash - good luck killing ike and his crew of heavy people
Fully-charged special - cant kill heavy people until there at really ridiculous %
U-tilt - light people only at moderately high percents
D-tilt - again not gonna kill heavy people and you better hope you have a small celling

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Sorry but I do play Samus. I just have the common sense to know that Samus is not a great character. Link isn't a great character either but I do believe he is better for a few good reasons. Both characters have not so great recoveries so I'm not going to discuss that. Link has many great KO moves. Dsmash, Usmash, Fsmash, Utilt, Ftilt, Dair, Uair, Fair are the best. I'll admit I did overlook some of Samus's moves that have KO potential but she still has awful KO potential. None of her KO moves are particularly quick or have great hitboxs. In terms of projectiles, Link's arrows also have an edge over charge shot because they can be charged in mid air and lag cancelled upon landing. Gale boomerang isn't a great move but then again neither are missiles. And what you say about Links bombs just isn't true, you've probably just never seen someone use them well. Bombs are great at racking up damage, can assist in recovering, are good for spacing, and can combo( dthrown bomb into fair or nair).

I have nothing against Samus, she's just not a character that you should take to a tourney and expect to win.
AlAxe, I'd like to ask you to cut the crap, all right? You still wish to undermine Samus, even though you don't mind conceding a bit of the things about Samus. I mean really, "awful KO potential"? Is there even such a thing? If it has KO potential, then how can it be awful, even if it is possessing the ability to KO? It's almost like saying "more perfect." It's unnecessary, and it doesn't say much of anything. You tell us that her KO attacks aren't "particularly quick or have great hitboxs [sic]." It's still getting the job done, isn't it? That's all that matters.

Now, you should be aware of something, AlAxe. You claim to have played as Samus, so really, what would be the point of Link using his Arrows in the air? Samus' z-air eats just about anything, and it takes no effort to perform. Furthermore, it, like most of her aerial attacks, have little to no lag upon landing. Link's Bombs make me yawn. I saw a friend of mine attempt to throw a Bomb into the air, grab me and toss me up at it. Epic fail. It may be good to rack up damage, but that's only if it ever hits. Link has to worry about getting hit by his own Bombs, and if Samus is in his face, I doubt he'll be using any Bombs that would harm him.

Oh, and give it up already. Samus' recovery is better than Link's.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
poor sammy, she is underused since SSB64. I used to play her then and in Melee, but she was just too nerfed in her projectile game for me to use her now: her projectiles were my favorite playstyle but since the nerf I can't put myself to play her close range attacks effectively.
this might anwser part of the question...

Gum

Smash Journeyman

wtf are you talking about? Link has AWFUL recovery, but how does Samus have bad recovery? what are you on? I don't have any real issues with Samus in tourneys so maybe you are just bad. I get KO's left and right just off of falling uair to charge shot so Im not really sure what you are talking about.

Tudor

Smash Journeyman
In my experience. If you are a good player who knows how to use all of Samus's recoveries (ie. bombs, grapple, u-b) you will never die because of being unable to recover. If you play smart there are a million combinations of what you can do to still recover depending on what you opponent is doing. Is he holding the ledge and letting go to hit you? Easy, use bombs smart to space yourself/keep yourself in the air/hit him with when he attacks, or air dodge and grapple right after he hits you or whatever.

I repeat, Samus will never die because of being unable to recover (like a lot of other characters). If she dies it is your fault, not Samus's.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
wtf are you talking about? Link has AWFUL recovery, but how does Samus have bad recovery? what are you on? I don't have any real issues with Samus in tourneys so maybe you are just bad. I get KO's left and right just off of falling uair to charge shot so Im not really sure what you are talking about.
You do so well in tourneys?

26 Samus (3 top8, 1 top4) - 17.25 - 25

Way to represent.

I feel asleep

Smash Apprentice
In my experience. If you are a good player who knows how to use all of Samus's recoveries (ie. bombs, grapple, u-b) you will never die because of being unable to recover. If you play smart there are a million combinations of what you can do to still recover depending on what you opponent is doing. Is he holding the ledge and letting go to hit you? Easy, use bombs smart to space yourself/keep yourself in the air/hit him with when he attacks, or air dodge and grapple right after he hits you or whatever.

I repeat, Samus will never die because of being unable to recover (like a lot of other characters). If she dies it is your fault, not Samus's.
Exactly, Samus has so many options to use in every situation, just because someone picked the wrong one doesn't mean Samus is bad, it means they are.
so many people try to make johns, "my character sucks" "i have bad recovery" "I can't kill!" I love it when people complain about MK or snake, instead of playing as them since they're "broken" according to some. No johns, play like a champion.

You do so well in tourneys?

26 Samus (3 top8, 1 top4) - 17.25 - 25

Way to represent.
I hate to bring up my tournament results.(don't really like bragging if that's what you'd call it) but whenever somebody says samus does bad in tournaments i feel i have to show them.
3rd at a launch tournament.(70-ish people)
3rd at a local tourny (50 sum odd people)
1st at another local tournament (84 entries)
9th at AZone2step using only samus(115 entries)
7th at another local tourny.(20-ish people)
5th-1st at monthly tournaments.(25-50 people)
5th at a semi-local tourny.(30 people)

I understand that 9, 7, 5, 5-1, 3, 3, 1, is not truly amazing, It's definitely not "bad" but still, the look on everyone's face when i took 1st was amazing, since everyone there except the people i knew thought Samus sucked. ever since then lot's of people tried to copy my style. I saw that as a compliment and was happy to help spread Samus around and show she was good.

'Fro

Smash Lord
Why us she unerused? Pretty simple: She's not as good as she was in Melee. She's slower and weaker, and her recovery doesn't stand out like it used to. It's still great, but so many other recoveries are pretty good, too. She also has problems KOing when compared to the rest of the cast. Her best KO moves require more work than, say, a Snake f-tilt or Meta Knight d-smash. She also has to play cautious because of the lag on her attacks. I still play her, though.

koikaze

Smash Apprentice
It's funny how people compare characters to their old version. The character should be viewed in the environment that they are in and compared relative to other characters and not relative to the old version in a different game.

Face it, in Brawl people live longer. There are many people that can't KO at 80%. Most of the these characters have other advantages. Samus is one of them. She has insane spacing abilities with Zair and her other ranged attacks. Samus' recovery is top notch. Samus has one of the best, if not the best spikes in the game (no after lag). Samus' ledge game can olny be rivaled by Meta Knight and ROB. If played smart, Samus has a lot of "safe" moves.

Some of the best tactics for Samus are unfortunately looked down upon in the Smash community. People are trained socially to not do these things. Well, just don't listen to others and use your characters' advantages to the best of your abilities. The trick to Samus is being able to punish your opponent while giving fewer opportunities to them. Uair, Dair, Fair, Jab are great moves for this. I've been able to pull some crazy "combos" off and people were taken away by how smooth Samus can be if you know the right move for the right time. Just learn your character. Samus is just different from the norm so it takes people longer.

I find it interesting cuz most (if not all?) of the good samus players played her in Melee. I for one didn't, so I am having to learn basics like missiles, bomb jumps and stuff.

FuLLBLeeD

Smash Journeyman
It's funny how people compare characters to their old version. The character should be viewed in the environment that they are in and compared relative to other characters and not relative to the old version in a different game.

Face it, in Brawl people live longer. There are many people that can't KO at 80%. Most of the these characters have other advantages. Samus is one of them. She has insane spacing abilities with Zair and her other ranged attacks. Samus' recovery is top notch. Samus has one of the best, if not the best spikes in the game (no after lag). Samus' ledge game can olny be rivaled by Meta Knight and ROB. If played smart, Samus has a lot of "safe" moves.

Some of the best tactics for Samus are unfortunately looked down upon in the Smash community. People are trained socially to not do these things. Well, just don't listen to others and use your characters' advantages to the best of your abilities. The trick to Samus is being able to punish your opponent while giving fewer opportunities to them. Uair, Dair, Fair, Jab are great moves for this. I've been able to pull some crazy "combos" off and people were taken away by how smooth Samus can be if you know the right move for the right time. Just learn your character. Samus is just different from the norm so it takes people longer.

I find it interesting cuz most (if not all?) of the good samus players played her in Melee. I for one didn't, so I am having to learn basics like missiles, bomb jumps and stuff.
Quoted for truth.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
This is my hypothesis...

Samus is under used because the Samus mains from melee picked her up in brawl expecting her to play just like her melee counterpart. What they got was a completely changed character that plays nothing like her melee counterpart. Disappointed with the results, they changed their mains saying Samus sucks because she plays nothing like she does in melee. Because of the mass number of Samus mains switching characters, the rest of the community deterred away from using Samus. Our community was off to a bad start.

Now we have a new way to play Samus. We learned that Samus isn't that bad of a character. The old players just didn't want to give Samus a chance. Samus is slowly rising up the ranks, demonstrating that she doesn't deserve bottom tier. We've lost a lot of melee pros, but now we have some new players that are dedicated to using Samus. By no means is our community "strong", though. But at least we're not suffering as bad as the Falcon and Link forums.

Shoutout to my fellow Samus mains! Xyro, Rohins, Tudor, Gum, Mafia, n00b, Dryn, Boo, Dobs, and some other people I can't remember off the top of my head. And a whisper for the Samus secondaries! :D

I feel asleep

Smash Apprentice

This is true, it applies to every character. i can't tell you how many times people have said "if this was melee my falcon would have won" or "if fox was the same as he was in melee!" well it's not. times change. people need to adapt to the new timings and techniques. instead of making Johns.
Moves are only as "safe" as the opponent lets you make them. or in turn, as safe as you LET your opponent make them.
I am a bit curious on what these "best tactics that are looked down upon" are. seeing as how any competitive player will just say "No johns" and any decent player will get around anything considered "cheap" it doesn't matter what people don't like, do what it take to win.

This is my hypothesis...

Samus is under used because the Samus mains from melee picked her up in brawl expecting her to play just like her melee counterpart. What they got was a completely changed character that plays nothing like her melee counterpart. Disappointed with the results, they changed their mains saying Samus sucks because she plays nothing like she does in melee. Because of the mass number of Samus mains switching characters, the rest of the community deterred away from using Samus. Our community was off to a bad start.

Now we have a new way to play Samus. We learned that Samus isn't that bad of a character. The old players just didn't want to give Samus a chance. Samus is slowly rising up the ranks, demonstrating that she doesn't deserve bottom tier. We've lost a lot of melee pros, but now we have some new players that are dedicated to using Samus. By no means is our community "strong", though. But at least we're not suffering as bad as the Falcon and Link forums.

Shoutout to my fellow Samus mains! Xyro, Rohins, Tudor, Gum, Mafia, n00b, Dryn, Boo, Dobs, and some other people I can't remember off the top of my head. And a whisper for the Samus secondaries! :D
Aww....no love for AZ's #1 Samus? :'(

anyways, think about it. does Samus REALLY play different?
Take away wavedashing and l-canceling from Melee and Samus is eerily similar to how she is in brawl.(other than CC tanking into D-smash) Samus isn't different, the GAME is different. every character plays different then how they were in melee because we had techniques to improve characters strengths and compensate for their weaknesses. Fox can't flatland infinite or guarantee a D-air-shine-up smash. Falcon can't get triple sweetspot knee's across FD, Ganon can't....land a hit. Samus can't superwavedash. the game has changed, not the characters. If brawl had wavedashing, L-canceling, DJC, Crouch canceling etc, then i assure you, most of the characters would have played very similar to how they were in melee.

I've been a Samus main since 64, and playing Samus felt incredibly natural to me the first day i played the game(bout a week after Japan release) Which surprised me, since i played so much melee with taj, forward, B-stick, glide, chaostheory etc(over 12,000 hours total)

people say she is weak, this is relative. Remember, everyone survives longer in brawl. that's not to say certain character don't often get kills at 90% or so(snake and mk mostly)
she may not be able to get kills below 130% unless it's a spike or z-air gib. however, Samus can rack up damage pretty quickly and can outtank most character. these two things combined make her lack of being able to kill -100% only a minor nuisance in my opinion.

I agree with your statement wholeheartedly . the Samus brawl community had a rough start because lots of the "pro's" went to ROB or Snake. and seeing as some people just copy good players or can't think for themselves, they also went to other characters. slowly dwindling the already semi-small society. but we are slowly growing.

We will make ourselves known eventually, the day's of Samus will come.
(apologies for long post, i am bored and everyone else is sleeping, so i got nothing to do)

Gum

Smash Journeyman
Really great points you guys have made. Its funny, cuz everyone was on my case when me and HuGs got into it, and I ws trying to emphasize some of the points that are beig discussed now, like the fact that Samus racks up a lot of damage really quickly, which basically proportionalizes (made up word?) her KO ability. I was upset because I felt like the only reason many hated Samus so much is because HuGs and other pros said so and they believed it, instead of sticking with it to see what they come up with. I think we are coming up though.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
Really great points you guys have made. Its funny, cuz everyone was on my case when me and HuGs got into it, and I ws trying to emphasize some of the points that are beig discussed now, like the fact that Samus racks up a lot of damage really quickly, which basically proportionalizes (made up word?) her KO ability. I was upset because I felt like the only reason many hated Samus so much is because HuGs and other pros said so and they believed it, instead of sticking with it to see what they come up with. I think we are coming up though.
I'm still right ATM. :)

*Pops into samus forum*

Hi

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
without here missles that could kill, and her bombs that explode on impact instead of timed which is much quicker in brawl than in melee my two favorite things about her are gone, thoses bombs, thety, they were the setup to everything i did and was the reason i could win, why, sakurai, whyyyyyyyyy!

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
The thing about Samus that most people fail to understand is that she is heavy and has a fantastic recovery. This means that she lives a lot longer than most characters even for Brawl standards. Living to more than 200% isn't unheard of. Also she racks up damage deceptively quick so even though her kill moves don't start killing until higher percents, they still kill fairly quickly. Also Samus doesn't need to flat out kill off the sides or the tops because she has one of the best off stage games. She has a magnificent spike and can gimp fantastically with her projectiles, zair, bair, and nair. The key to playing a good Samus, as I have learned from watching Tudors videos, is to play on the edge. This is where Samus shines. She has so many options off the side that most people just don't think about. She is floaty, so she can stay in the air a very long time, combine this with bomb jumping and she can play for a long time away from the stage; something not many characters can easily do. She has 2 very quick recoveries to make edgehogging easier. Her zair can be used to gain invincibilty on the corner when it is crucial, not something many characters are able to do. The key to Samus is to get the opponent off the side, I've found that once this is accomplished and you understand how to use Samus they should almost always die.

Also, I Feel Asleep, do you have any videos I could watch? I'd love to see more good Samus players.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I think maybe because HugS left her, people started going with what he thought and not what they thought. Giving up on a character like Captain Falcon, totally understandable. He got hella butchered. Samus? I don't understand why anyone would give up on her. There really is no good reason for that. What's that? Nerfed? I hardly see a difference. If anything she was improved.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
I think maybe because HugS left her, people started going with what he thought and not what they thought. Giving up on a character like Captain Falcon, totally understandable. He got hella butchered. Samus? I don't understand why anyone would give up on her. There really is no good reason for that. What's that? Nerfed? I hardly see a difference. If anything she was improved.
have you played as Samus alot in brawl, or just glanced at her surface?

comparing melee Samus to brawl Samus, yes she got nerfed. lots of people left b/c of the bomb and missles changes, her old playstyle doesn't work anymore, and only some stayed to learn the new playstyle. its like Peach, some people just left her on account of the Dsmash nerf. Samus is still usable just not what she used to be.

DarkSamus1

Smash Rookie
lol.....................

Top Bottom