• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is samus so under-used?

ADHD

Smash Hero
I don't get it.... at all......... there's no reason yoshi's forum should be more popular than samus....... hell no!

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I think it's cause so many players known for their Samus's quit her so early on that it left a bad stigma. Honestly she doesn't seem all that bad, as she is probably my best secondary, and quite possibly on par with my ROB O_o.

Jing)

Smash Apprentice
Its because shes gotten a huge nerf from melee, even though shes still good.. samus mains from melee cry too much? I dont.;p

Coldfront

Smash Apprentice
Well, I think that Yoshi got more buffs this time around, while Samus got more nerfs. So Yoshi fans came around saying "WOW YOSHI IS THE MAN NOW"

Samus fans on the other hand were like "ALRIGHT SAMUS IS...wait a sec... what the hell?... OMG why would they nerf the bombs? And the Fsmash... And... screw it she sucks.

If Samus had moves that killed at 100% without counting Dair everyone would love her. Sadly, that's not the case.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
They nerfed a lot of things that changed the way that you have to play Samus from Melee to Brawl. To really hit that home, I hated playing Samus in Melee, but I love her in Brawl. She's very different. Her projectile game was nerfed, but not as bad as people make it out to be. I wish her charged shot killed a bit earlier, but it's still a good kill move in it's own right, and the damage it does is very commendable. Her projectile nerfs are alright in light of the new and massively improved zair. It's really freakin good.

All of her aerials auto cancel, she is heavy as balls, and she has a lot of secured setups that once you hit with them you are guaranteed another attack. I don't think any other character has as many as Samus does, and they are setups that work for killing as well as damage racking. It's quite nifty. She is definitely better than her current representation in tourneys says. I'm thinking more people will main her when they realize this.

Jing)

Smash Apprentice
Yeah she definitely kinda sucks in tournys but more people are starting to use her so we'll see.

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
Its probably because people turned their backs on her after one glance at those bombs, F-Smash, and Sex Kick :( But I feel its mainly because most don't have enough patience to main her when they're constantly bombarded with Snake's ungodly F-Tilt and U-Tilt and MK's insane priority Mach Tornado and 2-frame Shuttle Loop ;P Easier to win with KO and damage moves like those, since it means that less revolves around the setup of those moves. But for Samus mains (and secondaries like me) enjoy the challenge of the setup and the variety that is needed for Samus' game. Characters like Snake and MK have solid kills moves that are quite usable and don't scream for setups all the time. It requires less experience to utilize those moves to their full potential whereas the intricacies needed for landing that much needed B-Air and D-Tilt as Samus can be difficult in certain matchups and more metagame knowledge is needed to adapt.

swypa101

Smash Apprentice
i tried samus(not ZSS) and i liked using her but shes slow.

her projectiles are strong and everything but yoshi is pretty fast i like yoshi better (no offense)

Jalaga

Smash Rookie
Its probably because people turned their backs on her after one glance at those bombs, F-Smash, and Sex Kick :( But I feel its mainly because most don't have enough patience to main her when they're constantly bombarded with Snake's ungodly F-Tilt and U-Tilt and MK's insane priority Mach Tornado and 2-frame Shuttle Loop ;P Easier to win with KO and damage moves like those, since it means that less revolves around the setup of those moves. But for Samus mains (and secondaries like me) enjoy the challenge of the setup and the variety that is needed for Samus' game. Characters like Snake and MK have solid kills moves that are quite usable and don't scream for setups all the time. It requires less experience to utilize those moves to their full potential whereas the intricacies needed for landing that much needed B-Air and D-Tilt as Samus can be difficult in certain matchups and more metagame knowledge is needed to adapt.
Beautifully, succinctly, and truthfully said.

psike

Smash Apprentice
Very well said. IMO, people just don't have the patience to rack up the damage with her. Sure you will probably have to get most people up to 150% to get the KO, but with the uair and the up b - combined with some of the most versitile projectiles in the game - it's not as hard as you'd think. Combos + best grapple + killer spike = winner (even without the multitude of KO moves) to me.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Samus projectile nerf is a major downer. but at least she still recovers better than most characters can. and since i main peach i know if those good hits don't connect she also has to work damage up to the 150+ to KO. but Samus does have some fun setups. like charging forwad with a missle to guard your face is so epic at times..... or the missled chargeshot. :)

I feel asleep

Smash Apprentice
As a Samus mainer since SSB64 was released, i really don't understand why she is underused or considered "worst in the game"

One of my favorite moments was destroying some people from reno who laughed at me for picking Samus. they were shocked because of their ignorance. as i decimated all of them. the snake, the meta knight, the marth, the DK and the Sonic(who was the one laughed first btw lol)

Samus is an amazing character, you are not going to be able to randomly play her at a tournament and expect to win your matches however, like some people do with snake/MK.

I have been trying my best to prove that she is great, i have proven it to AZ so far. beating the best MK/marth/wario/pit/snake/dedede/lucario/kirby/ in the state. at different times of course, and we're all friends so it goes back and forth. but still, I know it's a bit egotistical to base my theory off of this, but it's all i have to base it on, and it's simple.

If Samus can compete with/beat the great meta knights, marths, dedede's, snakes, wario's etc..etc. then she can, in no possible way, be a bad character. I really think most people would think like my description of Reno earlier in this post, basing everything off of whining about 'nerfs' without any real experience to back it up.

koikaze

Smash Apprentice
One of my favorite moments was destroying some people from reno who laughed at me for picking Samus. they were shocked because of their ignorance. as i decimated all of them. the snake, the meta knight, the marth, the DK and the Sonic(who was the one laughed first btw lol)
Wait, who from Reno laughed at you? One of the best Samus players (Tudor) comes from Reno, so she it quite respected by the good players there.

I feel asleep

Smash Apprentice
Wait, who from Reno laughed at you? One of the best Samus players (Tudor) comes from Reno, so she it quite respected by the good players there.
Don't remember who, but i know it was a group of friends who were all pretty bad....on second thought they mighta been from vegas >_> I had almost no sleep at before AZone2(where it happened) and it was all kinda a blur now (apologies for disrespect reno)

Gum

Smash Journeyman
Truthfully and frankly, I think it Is because she has a higher learning curve than most of the other cast. People have already mentioned the patience thing, but its also the fact that she is so unconventional that people don't understand what they should be going for. They don't understand how she works because she isn't so direct, and then the lack of patience kicks in, so they drop her and move on to something easier. If I may, she is similar to, say, Setsuka from Soul Calibur 3 in that she is difficult to pick up and get good with, but once you become fluent with her she is a beast. I know that was random, but it applies.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
What? Is that a typo?

Anyway, to the discussion, I had to be patient with Samus. When my brother was beating me up with his Ness, I complained, "Everyone is right! Samus is nerfed!" After that, I didn't complain because I wanted to get better with Samus. I wasn't going to be like those other people who once played as Samus but dismissed her for her "nerfs." Now I can beat my brother with Samus. ;D

ll Mafia ll

Smash Apprentice
That ain't be being no typo.
That be reffering to Samus, the she.

It's a grammatical error.

koikaze

Smash Apprentice
Don't remember who, but i know it was a group of friends who were all pretty bad....on second thought they mighta been from vegas >_> I had almost no sleep at before AZone2(where it happened) and it was all kinda a blur now (apologies for disrespect reno)
Ah, well all of the Reno crew at AZ12step dig Samus, and none of them play Sonic =P

I find not many people play Samus because she can't just run in a beat the crap out of people. Her play style is unique and the slowness is not very inviting.

she is similar to, say, Setsuka from Soul Calibur 3 in that she is difficult to pick up and get good with, but once you become fluent with her she is a beast. I know that was random, but it applies.
OMG, you are so right! Setsuka had the long reach, her attacks weren't the fastest, but they could come out of nowhere. She did most of her fighting by poking from far range. Maybe that is why I like Samus so much, since I mained Setsuka in SC3. I wouldn't say Setsuka was a beast, she had too many moves that could be punished. None the less, she was hella fun to play.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
That ain't be being no typo.
That be reffering to Samus, the she.

It's a grammatical error.
Thanks for clearing that up. I was thinking, "What? I think I've heard Tudor speak before when he was fighting a Wolf player at a tournament on Battlefield. He doesn't sound like a female to me." :p

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Ah, well all of the Reno crew at AZ12step dig Samus, and none of them play Sonic =P

I find not many people play Samus because she can't just run in a beat the crap out of people. Her play style is unique and the slowness is not very inviting.

OMG, you are so right! Setsuka had the long reach, her attacks weren't the fastest, but they could come out of nowhere. She did most of her fighting by poking from far range. Maybe that is why I like Samus so much, since I mained Setsuka in SC3. I wouldn't say Setsuka was a beast, she had too many moves that could be punished. None the less, she was hella fun to play.
yes many people i know who used to pick Samus now pick ZZS cause samus can't just beast like she used too.

ah Setsuka..... i miss SC3 nothing was more in joyable than watching the jaw dropping look on my opponents face as i got them in her half life bar taking stun combo.

koikaze

Smash Apprentice
Samus is bad.
ZSS is bad...
Awww... they have so much in common. That means they are BEST friends ^_^

yes many people i know who used to pick Samus now pick ZZS cause samus can't just beast like she used too.
I'm trying to pick up ZSS because I wanna have the option of switching after a KO, because that would just be hella stylish ^^

But, Samus is still way cooler than Zero Suit. People just like ZSS cuz she is hot @.@.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Awww... they have so much in common. That means they are BEST friends ^_^
Au contraire.

• Samus is slower than Zero Suit Samus.
  • Samus is heavier than Zero Suit Samus.
  • Samus is stronger than Zero Suit Samus.
  • Samus likes mid-range combat, whereas Zero Suit Samus likes close combat.

They're polar opposites.

koikaze

Smash Apprentice
au Contraire.

• samus Is Slower Than Zero Suit Samus.
  • samus Is Heavier Than Zero Suit Samus.
  • samus Is Stronger Than Zero Suit Samus.
  • samus Likes Mid-range Combat, Whereas Zero Suit Samus Likes Close Combat.

They're Polar Opposites.
I Said Best Of Friends >.<

I feel asleep

Smash Apprentice
Samus is bad.
ZSS is bad...
I've said it before and i'll say it again.

there is no such thing as a bad character, only bad players playing as those characters.
at AZone2, i witnessed a ganondorf go 1-2 against DSF's snake, now if a Ganondorf(who many consider to be one of the worst characters in the game) can take a match from DSF's Snake( who many consider to be one of the better snake players) then how can people say ganon is garbage? did people stop to think that maybe players just haven't learned how to play as said characters?

Samus and ZSS are both great characters in the right hands. people won't learn either character overnight.

i gotta stop posting in this thread, just going on rants about ganon(and every character as well) now >_>

__V

Smash Journeyman
She has almost every possible disadvantage. She has the weakness of being a heavyweight, while at the same time, has the same weaknesses as floaty characters. Both her melee and projectile attacks suck. She handles slowly. Her recoveries are horrible. Her air attacks are gimped by any character with any reach at all. The only real compliment I can give Samus is her grab reach.

Captain Falcon totally beats Samus.

Pearl Floatzel

Smash Apprentice
but ZSS has some moves that KO as early as 120-130%. does Samus also have these or are hers mostly around 150% ?
Yeah. It's called the Down Air.

Seriously, though, I think her F-Smash can kill around 120-130. Dunno exactly though. But getting them 20-30% more shouldn't be that much of a problem with smart missilage. (It's a word, I swear!)

We're now crazy off-topic though. I think it's the learning curve and odd style of play.

Don't start a Ness-Lucas rivalry between ZSS and Samus. That would be really sad, frankly.

Edit: To __V

The same weakness of being a heavyweight while being floaty? So she doesn't fly far and doesn't fall fast. Lookin' good to me. No combos, but doesn't get killed at 80%.

Projectile attacks suck? LOL. Ever been Z-Air spammed? Homing missile spammed? Gotten 20%+ from a charge shot?
Not only are the projectiles better than none, they're better than many.

Handles slowly? What in the world are you talking about? We're not racing.

LOL at Samus having bad recovery. Wait, here's another. LOL.

And by reach, you're speaking from the perspective of Ike? They're short range, but not Sonic kind of bad.

Because Samus players grab so often.

I can only hope you're being sarcastic in your post and that I've just been an idiot. Better than someone who obviously knows so little about Samus coming in and doing what you just did.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
She has almost every possible disadvantage. She has the weakness of being a heavyweight, while at the same time, has the same weaknesses as floaty characters. Both her melee and projectile attacks suck. She handles slowly. Her recoveries are horrible. Her air attacks are gimped by any character with any reach at all. The only real compliment I can give Samus is her grab reach.

Captain Falcon totally beats Samus.
...hmm...you are a silly fellow. like...everything you said is ridiculous.

M@v

Subarashii!
Its because Samus is a horrific shell of her former melee self. Almost every move got the shaft. And for what reason? She wasnt top tier or anything. Same story with Link. Nintendo randomly decided to make two of their biggest franchise characters suck. :dizzy:

ADHD

Smash Hero
Its because Samus is a horrific shell of her former melee self. Almost every move got the shaft. And for what reason? She wasnt top tier or anything. Same story with Link. Nintendo randomly decided to make two of their biggest franchise characters suck. :dizzy:
Well so is sheik, but **** she's going to be high tier in the end with the chain jacket glitch...

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
Link is no where near as bad as Samus. Brawl Link is actually better overall than melee link. Samus pretty much just got nerfed into oblivion. She's way too floaty, her projectiles are garbage, her recovery is mediocre at best, and she couldn't kill a fly even if it asked her to. Her only two moves with halfway decent KO power are dtilt, fsmash, and charge shot and neither of those are great moves.

koikaze

Smash Apprentice
Her only two moves with halfway decent KO power are dtilt, fsmash, and charge shot and neither of those are great moves.
You my friend have no tact. Go play Wolf or something.

Edit: LOL oh so you do play Wolf.

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
She has almost every possible disadvantage. She has the weakness of being a heavyweight, while at the same time, has the same weaknesses as floaty characters. Both her melee and projectile attacks suc...
I stopped reading right there

Top Bottom