• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why I'm not an Atheist

kataklysm336

Smash Cadet
If you guys want to see Dre's argument so badly why don't you just read the thread where he summarized it:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=316335
This is his argument? All this says is that the theist has the burden of proof and what they would have to do to meet it.

This is essential every atheists argument. The argument everyone has been saying the entire time. It is not reasonable to believe it God for exactly every reason he listed, it is more reasonable to believe the things science tells us because they have a better resume and explanatory power.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Yeah but science doesn't disprove God or any sort of equivalent creative force(s) so really the logical answer to something with no definitive evidence either way is "I don't know".

/thread because HULK ALWAYS RULES

kataklysm336

Smash Cadet
Nono, look at post number 18.
This is Dre's argument for anyone so inclined.

I didn't state they're too ignorant, it's just that most people consider the question of God to be scientific, not metaphysical. People with that mentality won't comprehend or like what I have to say.

The thesis is basically looking at the first cause of the universe (I show there has to be a mp first cause, which is different from a physical first cause. eg. a physical infinite regress could exist but it would need an mp first cause). I show that the only properties that we can ascribe to the first cause result in a concept commonly referred to as God.

I argue:
-It cannot have contingent properties/ a contingent form
-It must be self-necessary (the reason for its existence is within itself, and is independent from everything else).

Pretty much what I do is say that to meet this criteria, the first cause has to be eternal, changless, has to have a will, and has the three omnis.

I also say it can't have theological traits like the Trinity because they're contingent, because if your metaphysics allows the fc to have contingent properties, it's more logical to be an atheist because atheism posits a contingent fc that is at least within physical experience. Basically, if you believe the fc could be contingent, then positing the non-physical becomes an unnecessary proposition.

This is obviouisly leaving a lot out, it takes too long to lay the whole thing out. So if you guys have any questions about how I get from X to Y, or how I handle problem Z, ask me and I'll answer it.

I feel I've drawn too much attention to my argument though, I don't want people to expect something out of this world. Most of you probably won't consider it to represent the highest level of theism (even though I do lol).
@Underdoggs - I pretty much knew that this was Dre's argument, it has been pretty clear the whole time because of his line of questioning. I am asking for him to justify these things, which I haven't seen him do and he doesn't do here. He just keeps saying it's too long or no one will understand. Saying the first cause can't have contingent properties and is self-necessary isn't something that has been said before, I want to know why it is rational to believe such a being exists.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I had a dream last night where a bear was trying to break into my house, but it turned out it was a DEMON. Could this be a SIGN?

Though, by the end I made it my pet cat and we walked away together (unwillingly on his part) in a mech thing. So it's probably nothing to worry about.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
The difference is we have positive evidence for the BBT unlike god.

Science isn't based on blind faith.

:phone:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG1pxS2gJLI

James Randi spent his whole life deceiving people for a living. He now exposes people who do that to their advantage.

I swear, the standards of evidence are dropping when faith healing is brought up. ESPECIALLY with children.

I have one word for you: placebo

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
You know I could've swore someone posted a video disproving faith healing in this exact goddamn thread, I can't really remember. I'll repost it just because apparently some people are still too stupid to figure this **** out on their own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYjgeayfYPI

Basically he goes in depth how they go about doing this ****. Of course someone will still believe there's some guy in the 1% who is totally legit, because of course they have to, OTHERWISE THEY WOULD HAVE TO RELY ON SCIENCE AND LOGIC AND PAINFUL THINGS OF THAT NATURE.

God I love religious people. Defend the indefensible, believe the unbelievable, and think the un****ingthinkable. OH MAN DID I JUST SAY THAT OUT LOUD MY BAD.

Also, thank you GwJumpman for that other video.

crawlshots

Smash Apprentice
Edit: Budget Player Cadet, I just saw your long post responding to stuff I said. I'll have to look at it later. :/

Well, I kind of regret taking a two-day break from all this, because now I can't possibly respond to all that was addressed to me, but I'm glad you guys did say stuff. I'll only respond to a few things. I think this is a good point for me to tone down the personal beliefs/testimony talk. It was really beneficial for me to throw it out there, plus this thread is called "Why I'm Not an Atheist", but it's difficult to go back and forth about it in general. But if anyone still has any specific questions for me then I'll happily answer them.

Jumpman - I'm not mad at you bro. I appreciate your honesty and I value your opinions. Thanks.

When you believe in god, and forgive me if this offends you, you feel/hear/see things that are not there.
That's because you absolutely want to believe in God. To the point where voices in your head are automatically the voice of God, and anyone who is healed is healed because of God. Your viewpoint leaves no room for the non-existance of your God because you don't want to believe that your beliefs could possibly be wrong.
Remember, I said earlier that sometimes I think I hear God but it's probably just me. Chuee, I get your point but careful about the conclusions you jump to. I definitely have enough sanity and integrity to realize that words that echo through my mind are probably, well, my mind. Also, every time I see healing of any kind I don't automatically think of God (although I'm sure he'd love the conversation anyway). Yesterday I took some ibuprofen because I had a headache, and when it went away I didn't get all spiritual. Lol. I'm a pretty normal guy. I've doubted a lot through the years, and I've told God "I don't believe you're real right now." But he's still convinced me he's real. Yes, I do want to believe in God, but I also try to be a realist. The two can indeed go together.

Tell that to people living in Africa.
It's interesting you say that, because actually African Christians are known to experience the power of prayer far more than Western Christians, probably because of how propped up we are by all our false comforts that dull our hunger for God. We have our own slew of demons here, and we need real hope just as badly.

Btw I don't think I understand the mafia analogy. If you don't believe the mafia man is real (atheist) then you won't be manipulated. If you're a Christian, then the fear of punishment isn't usually what pulls you to the faith anyway, because then you'd be going through the routines just to appease God, and that's entirely not biblical.

It's impossible to account for free will in an all knowing god that is responsible for every single thing to ever happen.
Expound on this if you would.

That and he could at LEAST give us reasonable, solid evidence for his existence.
I pray he does one day. I really do.

You say that is an all loving, forgiving God...
This will probably be shocking but I don't believe I said that God was all-loving or all-forgiving. At least, I never meant to. I said some similar things, but I purposefully avoided insinuating that he is unconditionally loving and unconditionally forgiving, if that's what you meant. Yes, I believe he's always good, but "loving" in the sense that we English speakers understand the word doesn't necessarily equal "good". I might be wrong... but I'm not aware of any bible verse that claims that God's love or forgiveness is unconditional. God sends people to hell, so yes he's not all-loving in the sense that we think of.

Also your point about the mother completely fails, because good parents don't lock their kids in basements and beat them.
Good parents punish and discipline their kids... but what is your point here?

Praying does not do crap. What is the criteria for prayers to be answered? Does it depend on who is praying? What they are praying about? How many people are praying for the same thing? No, none of it seems to make a difference, it is entirely arbitrary, not to mention already proven false.
The scientific method is a beautiful thing, but applying it to something like prayer seems really bizarre. Either prayer is completely bogus and God doesn't exist, in which case the test yields no positive results; or prayer is pretty much what we've thought it to be for thousands of years and it is unscientific by nature, in which case the test yields no positive results. I'd say that if God wants us to "test" prayer, then we should try doing it with sincerity instead of a personal agenda. That's kind of an answer to your first question.

As for sinning infinitely against something infinitely good (I wonder what it means to be infinitely good?) then that means sinning against someone is measured by how good the victim, which is DEFINITELY not the case. All "sins" are equal, and also the fact that if it was otherwise, it suggests some people "deserve" to be sinned against more so than others. Worst of all it suggests that if someone was not good at all (or not very good) then sinning against them isn't all that much of a big deal.
You're thinking performance-oriented here. Yes, all sins are equal. In the same way, all people are equal in the sense that we all need to be saved. No one is more "good" (whatever that would even mean) than anyone else. But that doesn't even really matter because sinning against a person IS sinning against God.

That's a a straw man
Or a bird in the the bush?

Dre, sorry if I contributed to you being upset earlier. I was just curious about your views but no pressure.

If you really cared you'd donate or volunteer in some way to help.
^YES. Biblical Christianity baby. Preach.

If the christian god is omnipotent and omniscient, why does he need prayer? If he has knowledge of everything (and since he's timeless, he knows before you even know) and can do anything, why does he even need prayer? It would seem he just likes the attention.
You could say he doesn't need prayer, but he chooses to need prayer, but the real reason is he really wants partnership with us. Actually, if anyone needs it it's us.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
The scientific method is a beautiful thing, but applying it to something like prayer seems really bizarre. Either prayer is completely bogus and God doesn't exist, in which case the test yields no positive results; or prayer is pretty much what we've thought it to be for thousands of years and it is unscientific by nature, in which case the test yields no positive results. I'd say that if God wants us to "test" prayer, then we should try doing it with sincerity instead of a personal agenda. That's kind of an answer to your first question.
There is a difference between something being scientific, and something that can or cannot be made to make sense or have any consistency. Sincerity doesn't even yield more results than those who are less sincere, I don't think anyone can see a pattern when people pray about something and it ends up happening and when it doesn't.

Someone posted a picture about praying with a football player and a starving child that really hits it home (Edit: It was Mota), and does it very powerfully. It really enforces my feeling when I see people pray for little things or say there prayers have been answered and thank God. The feeling of absolute absurdness.

Unfortunately in Alabama people are always saying things like that everywhere. I don't care if they're Christian in order to get along with them (I'm not an ***hole), but the way it entirely warps their thinking and behavior in such "mysterious" ways is quite alienating for me. It seems to promote this sense of individualism that makes people disregard things around them or go "I don't care" because people put their self-experience and subjective:ness: on a pedestal, something that is the foundation for religion in general. (Not saying that is some universal trait for Christians to the negative extent I mentioned).

Corigames

Smash Hero
Not sure if this thread is still on topic after 47 pages, but I read the OP and have a few things to say:
A. Time
First, the way you describe time is a bit awkward. The reason why someone might say that time is "meaningless" before the big bang is that it would be measurable without context of something affected by time. Without time enacting on something, it's impossible to calculate, not that it is of little value or consequence.
Second, discussing whether time extends before the big bang and after the heat death of the universe is not restricted to a dichotomy of atheists thinking one way and religious thinking another. A religious person may argue that God and his heavenly plane existed before the universe, and thus time extends indefinitely before it; similarly, an atheist may argue that time begins at the point of the expansion due to our understanding of time. Saying, "I can't be an atheist because of dispute on something not tethered to belief in a God," is nonsensical.

B. "I'm not an atheist because I believe that [even] the most scientific modes of thought we will eventually hit a brick wall where unscientific "things" become necessary to explain.
You're setting yourself up for problems. This sort of thinking is what keeps people content in their current set of knowledge instead of expanding it to find new answers. In the same way that you may scorn an atheist for not believing that somehow, somewhere there could be a God, you are saying there is one because somehow, somewhere there may be something science can't explain. This is the ludicrous. Which brings me to my final point...

C. Real reasons to consider atheism
Don't worry about the metaphysical, that's a scientific dispute and not a theological one. If you want to say you can't be an atheist, you should provide reasoning for why you MUST believe in a god. If you illuminate the justification of your position, you not only show why you aren't an atheist but also provide a reason for others to believe. Rationalism is what I make decisions based off of: evidence instead of faith. If you too go by evidence, then the fact that the Bible is historically inaccurate, scientifically incorrect, morally questionable, repeatedly inconsistent, and anonymously authored would be strong reasons to doubt. The fact that believers of all faiths will say theirs is correct, that theirs prophets are true, and that they really talk to their god while the others religions really don't lends strong credence to the idea that none of them are honest. You could also talk about how few of the things promised in the Bible came true. You could look at pagan, Egyptian, and other ancient societies' astrology and compare the symbolism there to that of Christianity. There is absolutely no evidence to point to there being a god.

If evidence isn't your thing, I could appeal to your emotion and your conscience. How often are children brought to churches, mosques, synagogs, temples, etc. and indoctrinated since before they can walk to believe in god? How many parents are bigoted against "sinners" and people with lifestyles that don't align with the horrendous guidance the Bible provides and what of the people that suffer because of that? How often does god answer your prayers, especially the ones you really need, when you're begging on your knees, in tears? What about people that die while doing that? What about questioning the morality of a god that would create people knowing how things were going to turn out and let them happen; knowing who would be murdered, *****, killed by nature, cannibalized, mentally ill, still born, cancerous, diseased, sterile, criminally insane, etc. and doing nothing to stop it. What about a god who performs miracles to appear to some people some of the time to tell them trivial things while there are people waiting on miracles to help them with their starvation, amputated body parts, or other helpless situation? What about the morally bankrupt idea that when you do wrong to someone, that you can talk to a 3rd party and remove your guilt and be forgiven of your transgressions? How is there any responsibility to your fellow man with such an idea?

Finally, I'll approach you financially. If you believe regardless of evidence and morality, then I submit to you the impact the church has on the economy. The entire revenue pool of the church comes in the form of donations, tithes. How well a church does is dependent upon how much money the churchgoers are putting in the plates when they show up. The more people, more money. The more convicted, more money. If you can fill your pews and get them to put money in, then you've done your job. How do you do that? In order to maintain a church, you have to enlist people like any other company. You need custodians, cooks, teachers, deans, ministers, etc. Those that don't do work voluntarily will be getting paid. So you have your workforce created a welcoming environment where there is a place for everyone (children, teens, young adults, adults) to worship. These groups are taught to fear god, to hold his laws, etc. in order to propagate the atmosphere that either gilts people into donating or promises them something intangible in the future for a donation today. How well the machine does determines how much the church can expand, how many people can be enlisted in the work force, the number of programs used to draw more people in, community projects, etc. When all is said and done, the left over money, which is tax exempt, goes to the owner, usually the priest/head minister. The person that gets all the profits usually makes bank, usually. I have yet to see a poor church owner. Not to say churches and the people that run them see the monster this way or actually must operate this way, they see it as evangelical work, but the power of god comes in the form of the power of money. The more money you have, the more people your church can reach out to (I'm looking at you giant stadium churches with spots on TV and whatnot). The point is: the more successful a church is, the more money it's siphoning out of that community for the purpose of maintaining itself and give a little piece of it back for reputation. It's damaging.

Kinda shot this off the top of my head. Hope it isn't a boring read or something. I like ranting.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
That wasn't boring at all, it was a good read. I enjoy minds who look at things from multiple angles and pile evidence upon evidence to shed light on the total probability/improbability of something. We have strayed a bit since the beginning, for the few proponents of the OP's stance have disbanded, either getting bored or tired of them being outnumbered by others (considering this is a mostly atheist site). Needless to say, what they have said wasn't too popular, and these kind of topics tend to drag on and both sides tend to be a bit stubborn when it comes to these kind of beliefs.

NNID
Budget_Player
I just accept the fact that mortals can't understand anything before God nor the BBT and choose between them.
...But if we can't understand it, how can we possibly give a satisfactory answer? This argument, "We don't know, therefore god", was always awful.

****ing lol

what is blind faith? do you even know?

everything has evidence. nothing has proof. there is no "blind faith". there are no "facts". there is a spectrum of probability.
Yes, because clearly it requires an equal amount of faith to believe in Allah and to believe that I should leave the house by the door, rather than my third-floor bedroom window if I don't want to get hurt on my way out.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw_O9Qiwqew

"Do telepathy, clairvoyance and other "psi" abilities exist? The majority of the general population believes that they do, and yet fewer than one percent of mainstream academic institutions have any faculty known for their interest in these frequently reported experiences. Why is a topic of enduring and widespread interest met with such resounding silence in academia? The answer is not due to a lack of scientific evidence, or even to a lack of scientific interest, but rather involves a taboo. I will discuss the nature of this taboo, some of the empirical evidence and critical responses, and speculate on the implications."

This video is for the first poster, Radin is addressing the James Randi Challenge argument/question at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qw_O9Qiwqew#t=3611s

Chuee

Smash Hero
Remember, I said earlier that sometimes I think I hear God but it's probably just me. Chuee, I get your point but careful about the conclusions you jump to. I definitely have enough sanity and integrity to realize that words that echo through my mind are probably, well, my mind. Also, every time I see healing of any kind I don't automatically think of God (although I'm sure he'd love the conversation anyway). Yesterday I took some ibuprofen because I had a headache, and when it went away I didn't get all spiritual. Lol. I'm a pretty normal guy. I've doubted a lot through the years, and I've told God "I don't believe you're real right now." But he's still convinced me he's real. Yes, I do want to believe in God, but I also try to be a realist. The two can indeed go together.
Not the same thing. The iboprofen thing is silly because iboprofen is made to cure the sickness, so you know why it was cured. The examples you listed were examples of things that you didn't know why they were cured so you attributed it to supernatural causes. The voices in your head thing works in a similar fashion.

It's interesting you say that, because actually African Christians are known to experience the power of prayer far more than Western Christians, probably because of how propped up we are by all our false comforts that dull our hunger for God. We have our own slew of demons here, and we need real hope just as badly.
Yeah, I doubt that. When you look at the terrible condition most African countries are in, a few 'reported' healings are worth nothing compared to the horrible state that almost all of Africa is in. It's dumb to think that God heals a few people that he wants to and lets the rest suffer.

Btw I don't think I understand the mafia analogy. If you don't believe the mafia man is real (atheist) then you won't be manipulated. If you're a Christian, then the fear of punishment isn't usually what pulls you to the faith anyway, because then you'd be going through the routines just to appease God, and that's entirely not biblical.

I pray he does one day. I really do.
I hope he does too, if he's willing to punish me and everyone else who doesn't get on their knee's and bow down to him every week.

Good parents punish and discipline their kids... but what is your point here?
I'd argue that physical punishment is unjustified, but even so the extent a parent would have to 'discipline' their child for it to compare to God's eternal punishment in hell would be enormous. Also, the point of discipline is to teach the children not to do what they did again, to make them realize their mistakes. God doesn't allow you into heaven once you realize you were wrong.

Prayer doesn't work. Period.
Even if you discount the studies done on the effectiveness on prayer (why would God not take an opportunity like this), you still have to think about the things that are often most prayed for. Just think about the number of people that prayed for Abortion ever since it was made legal in 1973. Yet Abortion still stands today. Think about the number of people who pray for people in poverty. Has that been answered? The most prayed for things happened to be the things that are most often not changed. The only things that seem to be answered are the tiny things.

You're thinking performance-oriented here. Yes, all sins are equal. In the same way, all people are equal in the sense that we all need to be saved. No one is more "good" (whatever that would even mean) than anyone else. But that doesn't even really matter because sinning against a person IS sinning against God.

You could say he doesn't need prayer, but he chooses to need prayer, but the real reason is he really wants partnership with us. Actually, if anyone needs it it's us.
Actually he knows what you want at all times, so you don't need to pray.
****ing lol

what is blind faith? do you even know?

everything has evidence. nothing has proof. there is no "blind faith". there are no "facts". there is a spectrum of probability.
Faith: belief that is not based on proof
Proof: anything serving as such evidence
So, faith is something not believed in based on evidence.
The entire basis of Science is evidence and cutting out bias.
So, yeah, tell me how obeying what a book says is equivalent to believing a scientific theory that has evidence supporting it.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
"for the purposes of this discussion"? What the heck does that mean? You're actually religious or atheist outside of the purposes of this discussion? O_O

john!

Smash Hero
like dre, i would rather not detail every aspect of my beliefs about the god question because it would take too long and lead to a whole separate discussion, derailing the thread

the reason why i'm agnostic ITT is because that is the simplest and most rational position to defend

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Ohhh I get you. So therefore, you're actually not answering his question and admitting to not doing so.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
So you're choosing a different position so that you can more easily defend yourself?

Ahem.

Djent

Smash Champion
Oh, I have friends who dare.
..I just think they're nuts lol.

And most theists will try to argue that some "ideas of God" are more viable than others, which inevitably reduces the number of historically-based gods to chose from. I'm not sure I buy any of these arguments, but they're out there.

john!

Smash Hero
Ohhh I get you. So therefore, you're actually not answering his question and admitting to not doing so.
lol yes basically.

the only reason he asked what god i believed in is because he was hoping to trot out the usual anti-christian arguments (the kind that would get demolished by any decent christian apologist, i.e. not me), even though i don't have traditional christian beliefs.

not falling for such an obvious bait, sorry.

So you're choosing a different position so that you can more easily defend yourself?

Ahem.
and yet you can't sufficiently answer my arguments against your atheism. come back to me when you can explain the nature of knowledge.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Give me a question you want me to answer and I will answer it to the best of my abilities. I do my best not to avoid questions.

john!

Smash Hero
why is there something instead of nothing?

i ask this because theists have already given me an answer to that question. whenever i turn to an atheist for an answer, all i get is a criticism of the theist's answer, and not an answer of their own.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Why must a god prove itself to a mortal?
Yeah, **** mortals.

>Doesn't prove himself to mortals
>Assumes mortals to believe in him and follow his beliefs
>Mortals don't belief in the lack of proof
>Mortals damned to hell
>Omniscient divine plan complete

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
why is there something instead of nothing?
I'm not too sure. For a bit of context though, if there was nothing, you wouldn't be here to ask why there was nothing rather than something. Think about that a little.

i ask this because theists have already given me an answer to that question. whenever i turn to an atheist for an answer, all i get is a criticism of the theist's answer, and not an answer of their own.
And for this, I laugh at theists. They think that "god did it" is a viable answer. It's an incredibly lazy idea. It's not an explanation. It's an answer that fills the gaps, hence "God of the gaps".

I don't know why "X" is here, therefore God.

john!

Smash Hero
I'm not too sure. For a bit of context though, if there was nothing, you wouldn't be here to ask why there was nothing rather than something. Think about that a little.

And for this, I laugh at theists. They think that "god did it" is a viable answer. It's an incredibly lazy idea. It's not an explanation. It's an answer that fills the gaps, hence "God of the gaps".

I don't know why "X" is here, therefore God.
i agree, but you gave an agnostic answer, not an agnostic atheist answer.

Top Bottom