• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why I'm not an Atheist

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Link to original post: [drupal=4941]Why I'm not an Atheist[/drupal]

I'm writing this blog not to start any trouble, but because I would like some feedback on my thoughts. The following stuff has been weighing heavily on my mind for some years now, and I think it's important now for me to at least have it written down somewhere. As a foreword, I'm urging that everyone be mature in the blog because this can very easily turn into a very lame thread if people can't be reasonable with each other.

Somewhere around the age of 15 I went through a metamorphosis that changed my way of thinking more drastically toward astronomical concepts. This was a change brought about by my introduction to the smash scene at around age 13. Put simply, the smash scene was my first encounter with atheists. They challenged my way of thinking, admittedly, for the better. Prior to this I'd never even considered "What if God doesn't exist?" It forced me to come to terms with a lot of oddities, untruths, and faults in my religion. For awhile, I thought it was a very real possibility that I might end up becoming an atheist. But at around age 15, I started to think about the world, reality, time, and space, and for 4 years I've been struggling with understanding whether or not believing in God (or a godlike entity) is warranted. I've only recently made the decision that it is.

The thing about reality that bothers me the most is time. A few years ago I wrote a blog here explaining what I think the problem is with time. I talked about how I believe that time extends prior to the Big Bang and creates an infinite time paradox, that being that if time can be recorded infinitely backwards there is no explanation for the progress of any events in time. Some people responded to that idea that there was no time prior to the Big Bang because time can only exist when there is change, and there was no change prior to the Big Bang. I didn't have an answer for that then, but I do now.

The Big Bang is nothing more than the rapid expansion of energy and particles into space. It is an event that occurs within reality, which consists of time and space. Most atheists I've spoken to believe that time prior the Big Bang is "meaningless" because there is no change. That word bothers me. It implies that that time exists but is somehow not important. This is one of the areas where I simply can't agree with modern atheism. The atheistic concept of time relies solely on visible, physical, recordable change. But both time and change are concepts, and just as there is physical change, there is also conceptual change. Even prior to the Big Bang, there was the conceptual change of "then" and "now". Even if everything that is existed in and unchanging singularity, that unchanging singularity still existed within increments of "then" and "now". Though it was not recordable, time "predates" the Big Bang, as does space. The fact of that existence makes all the difference because it refers back to the infinitely regressing time paradox.

Now what does this have to do with me not being an atheist? Well, when I first started this thought process, I did so with the sole intent of not presupposing gods into the equation. This is simply one of many conclusions where I see that totally realistic (which, in this context I mean to be "as relating to reality") thinking lead me to a brick wall. How could science possibly explain an infinitely extending past in the midst of an apparently progressing future? I don't see how it could, and when I brought this same issue to my atheist friends, they didn't think so either. One of my friends outright told me that I was right, but more commonly I get the answer that "Time just is that way and we can't explain it." Here is where I really can't agree with modern atheism. Atheism has most of its basis in science, and scientific thought has always been with the presupposition everything that exists has an explanation. Now perhaps my atheists friends aren't the most knowledgeable atheists, but I fail to see how one whose beliefs are based in science would suddenly drop scientific thought in the specific issue of time but maintain that science is the answer for most other things.

But, that's not the only time I've had this response from atheists. Like I said, this time issue is one of many issues that I feel science cannot explain. Another deals with energy. From what I've read, energy, unlike any other entity in existence, cannot be created and does not decay. It never came into existence and will never leave existence. I made a thread in the debate hall that addressed several different subjects, including energy. I asked why energy exists as it does. I asked how was possible for something to exist of itself forever extending infinitely into the past. I asked whether or not science could explain why energy exists in the manner that it does, and more than one person told me, "Why does energy need to have an explanation?" They didn't have a scientific answer, which leaves me with two possibilities for understanding reality: Either the most basic components of reality such as time, space, and energy exist in their very specific ways for no particular reason at all, or they are designed to function in these manners. As for which I believe, I'll say that I believe it's far too outlandish to think that time, space and energy, the very components of everything that could ever be, have no explanation to themselves. As a rule of thumb, to me, the more specific order and function a thing or concept has, the more need for explanation there is for it.

So relating this again to why I'm not an atheist, if there is any one thing that needs explaining and science can't explain it, the only conceivable answer is something unscientific, unrealistic, specifically, not relating to reality as we understand it. I'm sure you can see where this is going now. I'm not an atheist because I believe that evening the most scientific modes of thought we will eventually hit a brick wall where unscientific "things" become necessary to explain. Equally important is the necessity for the unscientific "things" to be unexplainable, such to avoid more origin crises. I just don't think it's rational to rule out "God", rather, at the very least, I think it is at the utmost of logic to believe that supernatural "entities" exist. Granted, this does not suppose that all the hoopla about the Christian God follows, but I wasn't going for that in the first place. For you, my reader, you can consider this the end of this blog as it refers to rational thinking, but I will now go on into my own personal beliefs.

I am a Catholic, but understanding what I do, I can barely call myself faithful in the most traditional sense of the word. I don't pray and ask God to do things. I don't take the Old Testament very seriously. Despite all this, I am very informed about my religion. I know and understand most of the Church's beliefs and policies, though I don't necessarily agree with the extent to which they should apply to the average person. That said I'm still very loyal to Catholicism for one reason: its history. There are records of every pope back to the very first, Peter, who, supposedly, had actual contact with Jesus. I won't simply ignore the written records that chronicle a history that leads directly back to Jesus. There are many historical facts that hinder and compound on the existence of Christ as described in the New Testament, starting with the Roman persecution of Christians that occurred shortly after the Ascension. As it stands, unless I'm given a reason to believe that the history of the Church is a lie, I'll likely remain a Catholic. Though, above all, I wish to maintain looking at everything objectively.

If you read all of this, then I thank you for your time. Writing this is very important to me because honestly I just want some to tell me that I'm not completely out of my mind. This is the first time I've ever shared any of this, and I feel that thinking to myself too much could easily cause me to loose base with other modes of thought. I'd like to know everyone's thoughts.

D

Deleted member

A very nice blog. (bit long but eh)
It's kind of funny because I came from the exact opposite direction (atheism) and until 2 years ago did not question that, and about 2 years ago I tripped over the exact same thing. the big bang, or rather how it was caused/what was before it. because of that I became agnostic, as I still believe that most, if not all, things can be explain by pure scientific method. As for the whole big bang thing (lots of tl;dr here), I believe that there was no time and space (at all) before it and then it just happened.

just gonna respond to 1 specific thing as I don't feel like starting a debate right now.
I'll say that I believe it's far too outlandish to think that time, space and energy, the very components of everything that could ever be, have no explanation to themselves.
in other words, how can these vital components have the specific properties they have without there being some design to it, right?
the simple answer would be: otherwise this universe would not exist, or at least not in the way we know it. It sounds like a cop out, I know, but let's look at it like this: a universe was created (thought experiment) with these vital components chosen at random (how they behave etc.). chances are that the created universe is not stable or something along those lines. but sometimes you end up with a universe like ours. then a sentient life form may or may not emerge in this universe. if it doesn't, just like the unstable universes, there's nobody to actually think about the universe (and it's vital components).
however if such a sentient lifeform does emerge and it starts to think "hm, these components are awfully well chosen, as if there was some design behind it." while in reality this universe and lifeform are just a result of luck.

okay way too long paragraph and I doubt it even makes sense to you, but that's kind of my vision on the intelligent design behind things in our universe.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Oh damn, big bang...

Well, thats the big question: what was before that event? The current thinking may be that it really was meaningless in a sense, since Big Bangs may be a common occurrence if there are multiple universes out there, in which case there could be a new big bang happening every day for all we know, but just somewhere else... but that is delving into theoretical physics and such.

But, as for the religious side, I'm like Paprika in that I'm agnostic: I think there's a scientific explanation for most everything, but at the end of the day I simply don't know if there was a design or not, since there is no evidence either way. However, this has recently sparked my interest...

http://vimeo.com/4422153

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
There isn't anything wrong with the big bang being the beginning of time. But you said

As for the whole big bang thing (lots of tl;dr here), I believe that there was no time and space (at all) before it and then it just happened.
It is not possible for there to be no space 'before the big bang' assuming that the big bang is the beginning of time. How do you measure time if time does not exist?

There's no such thing as "before time", I don't know how else to put it.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
A lot of modern historians disregard anything that is described in the Bible, especially since the Bible has several descriptions of one event on multiple occasions. I'd give you examples, but a simple ride down Google road can educate you on such matters. At any rate, just because science can't explain everything it, doesn't mean it eventually can't. I also don't understand believing we need "unscientific" things to explain things, why does God really have to be nonsensical? I am atheist, but why do people keep attributing magic to him? Why can't he logically do things because of what he is and his properties? Although, it'd be rather confusing to be able to attribute anything other than the ability to cause the Big Bang, things like omniscience or omnipotence or whatever, but just a thought.

As for time, I think he means what the OP mentioned, time being not necessarily just the time sense, but time as in "then"s and "now"s transpiring even though nothing changed. It is hard to explain, and may be absurd, but I understand it. Basically, there is the measurable time we know of, and then there is the actual illusion of transpiring that we measure.

D

Deleted member

It is not possible for there to be no space 'before the big bang' assuming that the big bang is the beginning of time.
some argumentation here would be nice.

edit: I reread and my original sentence was worded kind of badly.
still, if "before the big bang" doesn't exist, technically any statement about it would be valid (except it existing of course)

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
All I'm trying to get across is that 'before time' does not make any sense.
Since you asked
why? what's wrong with the big bang being the beginning of time?
I assumed that you were assuming that the big bang was the beginning of time.
Thus, assuming that the big bang was the beginning of time, it is impossible for anything to happen before the big bang, because 'before time' does not make any sense.

Of course, assuming the big bang happened after the beginning of time, it is possible for something to happen before the big bang did.

For the record, I don't like the idea of saying something like "time began to exist" because, by definition, time has always existed. To say "time has always existed" is essentially to say "time has existed since the beginning of time", which, as I said earlier, is a tautology and therefore must be true.

D

Deleted member

I'm sure it's physically possible for a universe to exist without time. the only downside is that it would be static, as there is nothing to progress.

john!

Smash Hero
a problem here is that you're equating atheism with science.

this is a mentality deliberately spread by the modern atheist movement.

atheism and theism are two competing scientific theories about the origin of the universe. both are unfounded, both have little to no evidence to support them, and both require faith to believe in. neither is more "scientific" than the other. only when you get into the specifics of a particular religion do things become scientifically falsifiable with the evidence we currently have.

john!

Smash Hero
take the proposition: "the universe was created by a god". do you think this proposition is true or false, and how certain are you? what evidence do you have for your answer?

take the proposition: "the universe was created by some means other than a god". do you think this proposition is true or false, and how certain are you? what evidence do you have for your answer?

they are two sides of the same coin

one side is not exempt from the burden of proof

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Interesting Op, thank you for it. I'm a former christian myself, but I don't really know if I'd called myself an atheist even though I don't believe in a theistic god. Now, regarding physics and astronomy, there is still a lot we don't know (e.g. theory of everything). Considering how young our civilization is and the fact that our sun won't go out in another billion years or so, I believe that, in some sense, we are still in "baby shoes" when it comes to science. We have no idea how evolved our science/civilization will be in thousand, let alone million years. I believe the way we perceive time is illusionary, we see it as static whereas in reality time is relative. I also believe time is not linear but cyclical and that there are infinite amount of different timelines, therefore no grandfather paradox.

You might be interested in a documentary series called "What we still don't know", maybe you can get some ideas out of it:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/what-we-still-dont-know/

Also check out (I'm going to get kicked into nuts because of this but) Source field investigations by David Wilcock, it has some stuff about scientific research that is new to western societies:

http://www.amazon.com/Source-Field-Investigations-Civilizations-Prophecies/dp/0525952047

Beat!

Smash Master
John, my position isn't "the universe was created by some other means than god". IMy position is "I have no reason to believe the universe was created by god unless sufficient evidence is provided". Same goes for a lot of atheists.

Strong atheism ("I believe that god does not exist") has just as much Burden of Proof as theism. Weak atheism ("I do not believe that god exists") does not.

Weak atheism is not to be confused with agnosticism.

john!

Smash Hero
John, my position isn't "the universe was created by some other means than god". IMy position is "I have no reason to believe the universe was created by god unless sufficient evidence is provided". Same goes for a lot of atheists.

Strong atheism ("I believe that god does not exist") has just as much Burden of Proof as theism. Weak atheism ("I do not believe that god exists") does not.

Weak atheism is not to be confused with agnosticism.
if you don't believe that "the universe was created by some other means than god", and you don't believe that "the universe was created by a god", then how can you explain the existence of the universe?

Beat!

Smash Master
I believe the universe came to be through the big bang, which resulted in chemical processes and expansion over the course of billions of years. You know, all that jazz. I believe this because scientific evidence supports it. What I CAN'T say is whether god had a part in it or not, but, again, I personally see no reason to believe he did, unless I'm given evidence for it.

john!

Smash Hero
I believe the universe came to be through the big bang, which resulted in chemical processes and expansion over the course of billions of years. You know, all that jazz. I believe this because scientific evidence supports it. What I CAN'T say is whether god had a part in it or not, but, again, I personally see no reason to believe he did, unless I'm given evidence for it.
well then just change my two propositions to these:

"there was a god involved in the creation of the universe"

"there was not a god involved in the creation of the universe"

why does one of these propositions require evidence, and not the other?

by the way, isn't your explanation of how the universe was created an expression of faith? why is acceptance of the big bang "belief" but acceptance of the absence of a god not "belief"? they both refer to very specific details about the exact same event.

Beat!

Smash Master
Again, I'm not saying "there was/wasn't". I'm saying I currently don't believe there was due to lack of evidence. If there's no evidence either way I don't see any reason to believe in a supernatural being.

Weak atheism simply doesn't make those absolute statements that you have posted here.

My explanation and my "beliefs" are completely based on scientific evidence, which is the opposite of faith. If the big bang theory was disproved tomorrow, I would accept it and move on, just like that. No faith would make me stick with the theory despite the evidence against it.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I don't get into religion that much, but I believe in Fossils, DNA, and Proof. We have no proof that this world was crafted by God.

john!

Smash Hero
Again, I'm not saying "there was/wasn't". I'm saying I currently don't believe there was due to lack of evidence. If there's no evidence either way I don't see any reason to believe in a supernatural being.

Weak atheism simply doesn't make those absolute statements that you have posted here.

My explanation and my "beliefs" are completely based on scientific evidence, which is the opposite of faith. If the big bang theory was disproved tomorrow, I would accept it and move on, just like that. No faith would make me stick with the theory despite the evidence against it.
i see no reason to eliminate the possibility of god's existence, like you have.

i don't believe there was an absence of god when the universe was created, due to lack of evidence.

why would i have any reason to believe that, when all i know about the event is that it rapidly expanded the universe and created new atoms? how does that evidence rule out the existence of a god at all?

a true scientist would neither accept the theory that "god existed" nor accept the theory that "god did not exist". neither theory has anything close to conclusive evidence. why do you accept the second theory?

the word "atheist" means that you subscribe to a worldview which claims that god did not exist, and claims it without evidence. putting "weak" in front of it doesn't change that fact.

the only worldview without faith is pure agnosticism.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Atheism is NOT a theory about the creation or origin of the universe. Atheism is simply the rejection of theism, and nothing more.
You can be an atheist and believe that the universe was created by unicorns. You can be an atheist and believe that the universe does not exist. Both of these beliefs may be completely unscientific and illogical, but that doesn't mean atheism is unscientific/illogical, because neither of these beliefs are part of atheism.

It's a lack of a stance, if you will.

Edit: That's not what agnosticism is. Agnosticism is not an intermediate between theism and atheism. You can be an agnostic theist, or an agnostic atheist.

Agnostic theist - I believe in God, but I don't believe that it is possible to ever know that God exists.
Agnostic atheist - I don't '' '' '' '' '' '' ''

Gnostic theist - I believe in God, and I believe it is possible to know that God exists.
Gnostic atheist - I don't '' '' '' ''

john!

Smash Hero
Atheism is NOT a theory about the creation or origin of the universe. Atheism is simply the rejection of theism, and nothing more.
You can be an atheist and believe that the universe was created by unicorns. You can be an atheist and believe that the universe does not exist. Both of these beliefs may be completely unscientific and illogical, but that doesn't mean atheism is unscientific/illogical, because neither of these beliefs are part of atheism.

It's a lack of a stance, if you will.
a theory is an answer to a scientific question.

if you decide to reject one theory, then you must believe in another theory which is mutually exclusive from the theory that you rejected. otherwise, why would you reject that theory?

you decide to reject the theory of theism. what is your alternative theory? how will you convince the scientific world that your alternative theory is correct?

Edit: That's not what agnosticism is. Agnosticism is not an intermediate between theism and atheism. You can be an agnostic theist, or an agnostic atheist.

Agnostic theist - I believe in God, but I don't believe that it is possible to ever know that God exists.
Agnostic atheist - I don't '' '' '' '' '' '' ''

Gnostic theist - I believe in God, and I believe it is possible to know that God exists.
Gnostic atheist - I don't '' '' '' ''
that's why i said "pure agnosticism", which is agnosticism that is neither theist nor atheist.

pure agnosticism: "i don't know whether god exists or not"

strong agnostics think it's impossible to know

john!

Smash Hero
You should read the first 2 sentences of my last post again.
I'll be back, I have to go to school now XD
in my last post i showed you how atheism is a theory.

telling me to re-read your post after i disproved it is like me telling you to re-read the old testament after you disproved events written within it.

Beat!

Smash Master
Um, John, I thought I made it perfectly clear that I've not ruled out the possibility that god exists at all.

And it's fine if you only believe in god because of lack of evidence against him (I sincierely hope that wasn't just an attempt at proving a point), but then you'll also have to accept if I (or someone else) want to believe that an invisible rabbit is stalking you constantly. There's a lack of evidence against it, after all.

@Your last paragraph
You don't know what atheism means. Quit the straw mans.

john!

Smash Hero
Um, John, I thought I made it perfectly clear that I've not ruled out the possibility that god exists at all.
but you seem to prefer the atheist theory over the theist theory for no reason (you assign it a higher probability of being true)

And it's fine if you only believe in god because of lack of evidence against him (I sincierely hope that wasn't just an attempt at proving a point), but then you'll also have to accept if I (or someone else) want to believe that an invisible rabbit is stalking you constantly. There's a lack of evidence against it, after all.
there's a lack of evidence both for and against god.

and i have evidence against your rabbit theory: rabbits cannot become invisible.

therefore i am rejecting your rabbit theory based on evidence.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Atheism is not a theory, it's a rejection of theism based on the fact that theism lacks evidence.
if you decide to reject one theory, then you must believe in another theory which is mutually exclusive from the theory that you rejected. otherwise, why would you reject that theory?
Not true.
Imagine an extremely long mathematical equation. No variables, no negative numbers, no subtraction, no roots. But it's extremely long and it will take like thousands of years to figure out the answer.

Theism says 'the answer is -1' (just an example, I'm not trying to say that theism is definitely incorrect).
Atheism says 'we have no reason to believe that the answer is -1. Chances are, it's not -1'

Alternative theory 'The answer is 7.'

Atheism =/= alternative theory. You can be an atheist without an alternative theory. Sure, in this case, you could argue that the atheists' alternative theory is "The answer is not negative", but it doesn't give an answer, it just narrows it down to a smaller set of possible answers, by cutting out a set that seems like it's probably wrong.

And, in the real world, atheism is still not trying to give a specific answer on the origin of the universe. It is not dedicated to the big bang theory, or string theory, or the theory that this universe was created by the collision/splitting of 2 universes (lol, bear with me here. I'm not educated in this field so I can't think of many examples). Hell, you could be an atheist and believe that God created the universe. You would just have to believe that God doesn't exist anymore.
You can be an atheist and not have any idea of how the universe was created.

You can say that an answer is wrong without knowing what the correct answer is. And without believing that a specific answer is correct.

john!

Smash Hero
You can say that an answer is wrong without knowing what the correct answer is. And without believing that a specific answer is correct.
that's a pretty poor example because i know that the probability of the answer being -1 is extremely small, even without knowing anything about the equation. we know nothing about the probability of god's existence. it's reasonable to disbelieve something with an extremely small probability.

could you give an example of this?

if you reject one answer, you need evidence to support your rejection. what i'm trying to prove here is that an atheist's position requires evidence.

give an example of a case in which you know one answer is wrong without knowing anything about the correct answer.

Beat!

Smash Master
but you seem to prefer the atheist theory over the theist theory for no reason (you assign it a higher probability of being true)
That's because the theism theory claims the existence of a supernatural being that has never been observed.

and i have evidence against your rabbit theory: rabbits cannot become invisible.

therefore i am rejecting your rabbit theory based on evidence.
Fair enough (that rabbits cannot become invisible has never been proven, but it's true that evidence suggests they can't.). Make that an invisible Unicorn, then. You've never observed a Unicorn, so "they can't turn invisble" doesn't work anymore.

john!

Smash Hero
That's because the theism theory claims the existence of a supernatural being that has never been observed.
the universe's creation itself was never observed.

just to clear something up, what do you think caused the big bang, and why do you think that?

and why do you think that the cause of the big bang wasn't divine?

Fair enough (that rabbits cannot become invisible has never been proven, but it's true that evidence suggests they can't.). Male that an invisible Unicorn, then. You've never observed a Unicorn, so "they can't turn invisble" doesn't work anymore.
lol :cool:

evidence suggests that unicorns don't exist because we have never seen a unicorn where we would expect to see such a creature (in their natural habitat)

not only have we not seen a god where we would expect to see one (at the birth of the universe), but we haven't even seen the birth of the universe! that is why it is different from the unicorn scenario.

we can't say someone wasn't at a party if we didn't show up and we barely know anything about the party in the first place. but we can reasonably say someone wasn't at a party if we were there for 4 hours and never saw them.

Beat!

Smash Master
the universe's creation itself was never observed.

just to clear something up, what do you think caused the big bang, and why do you think that?
I don't know. Science has yet to find an answer to that question.

In the meantime, I have no plans of believing in an unsupported and unobserved supernatural being just for the sake of having an answer to that question.

and why do you think that the cause of the big bang wasn't divine?
Because I have no reason to believe it was.

evidence suggests that unicorns don't exist because we have never seen a unicorn where we would expect to see such a creature (in their natural habitat)
Excuse me, mr. Unicorn Expert, but what do you know about their natural habitat?

Um, this last quote kinda failed. fml. I'll fix it in a bit.

john!

Smash Hero
I don't know. Science has yet to find an answer to that question.

In the meantime, I have no plans of believing in an unsupported and unobserved supernatural being just for the sake of having an answer to that question.
YOUR REJECTION IS AN ANSWER TO A QUESTION.

if you answer a question then you need a reason for your answer.

holy **** dude.

Beat!

Smash Master
Um, okay. My answer is "I don't know" because I... don't know? Scientists don't have an observed answer. Theists have an answer, but it's completely unsupported, so given the scientific background I have, I can't believe in it. Prove it and we can talk.

If you're referring to the second paragraph, then I don't have to explain why I don't believe in an unsupported supernatural being, at least not apart from what I've already said. That's not how Burden of Proof works.

john!

Smash Hero
If you're referring to the second paragraph, then I don't have to explain why I don't believe in an unsupported supernatural being, at least not apart from what I've already said. That's not how Burden of Proof works.
sorry, i was referring to your second paragraph.

and that's exactly how burden of proof works, despite the fact that the modern atheist movement likes to think they are exempt from it.

Beat!

Smash Master
I feel like we just went back to square one, so maybe we should stop now. Let's just agree to disagree, at least for now.

Regardless, I liked the debate. 'twas fun =)

john!

Smash Hero
i guess as long as we don't have a clear agreement of what "burden of proof" means, then we won't get much farther lol :bubblebobble:

sorry if i derailed your thread a bit, murarengan

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
There is like a million things wrong with what people have said in this thread, regardless of whether you're an atheist or theist, but I can't address all of it.

a problem here is that you're equating atheism with science.

this is a mentality deliberately spread by the modern atheist movement.

atheism and theism are two competing scientific theories about the origin of the universe. both are unfounded, both have little to no evidence to support them, and both require faith to believe in. neither is more "scientific" than the other. only when you get into the specifics of a particular religion do things become scientifically falsifiable with the evidence we currently have.
This is probably the most misinformed post in the thread. Atheism and theism are metaphysical positions, not scientific ones.

And neither of them require faith, the only type of belief based on faith is fideism which is a particular type of theism (basicallty just one based on faith and not reason). Just because you're not familiar with the argumentation for either side doesn't mean they're based on faith.

There's so many wrong things in this thread I can only briefly cover them in dot points-

.Not all atheists believe in the big bang cosmology depicted in the OP. In fact atheists don't need to commit to any origin theory, they just reject theism, or consider there to be lack of evidence for theism.

.No intelligent theist believes in God simply because science hasn't explained certain phenomena. The question of God isn't even a scientific issue. The only time science is relevant is when theists use it to argue that the world is designed, but anyone who thinks that's the only argument for theism is clearly uneducated in philosophy of religion.

.Most people saying belief in God is completely unsupported and is completely down to faith probably haven't even read what the arguments for theism are. If they did, they may still be atheists, but they wouldn't be saying theism has no foundation whatsoever.

.Science doens't have the answer to the question of God. Science is only relevant in design debates, but there is more to the question of God than design.

.Atheism isn't purely scientific. For example the arguments from evil and non-belief are philosophical.

.The empirical evidence required to validate the Bible is far, far more than any other standard historical text. Historical reliability is based on probability. We're more likely to believe an event referenced in a text written ten years after the event, than an event refernced in a text written 500 years after the event. We're more likely to believe an event referenced by ten independent sources than an event referenced by only one because the first one is more probable. The thing is, the Bible speaks of supernatural phenomena, and supernatural phenomena is by definition the most improbable explanation for any event. In fact the only reason why supernatural phenomena isn't impossible is because the laws of the universe are contingent. So there needs to be almost an astronomical amount of evidence, or undeniable evidence, to account for the astronomical improbability of supernatural phenomena occuring.

None of this is taking personal beliefs into account. I'm sorry to sound rude but there is just so much wrong in this thread. People are entitled to their beliefs, but talking with a sense of authority about these things is worthy of criticism if you're not educated in what you're talking about.

john!

Smash Hero
This is probably the most misinformed post in the thread. Atheism and theism are metaphysical positions, not scientific ones.
is the study of how our universe was created a valid science? why wouldn't it be? why are other parts of cosmology and astronomy scientific, but not this? why don't you think metaphysics can also be science?

there is a question, with an answer, which we can determine by accumulating empirical evidence. that is science.

would 2000 B.C. dre have said that the sun and stars aren't science because we can't test them?

And neither of them require faith, the only type of belief based on faith is fideism which is a particular type of theism (basicallty just one based on faith and not reason). Just because you're not familiar with the argumentation for either side doesn't mean they're based on faith.
any given belief requires both reasoning (acceptance based on evidence) and faith (acceptance without evidence). you can't divide beliefs into "faith beliefs" and "reason beliefs"; that is incredibly naive.

to justify your belief, however, you need to provide more evidence, which will reduce the amount of faith necessary to accept that belief.

for example, the belief that "bananas are yellow" requires 99% reasoning and 1% faith, because we have an abundance of empirical evidence to prove it.

the belief that "unicorns exist" requires 1% reasoning and 99% faith, because there is no evidence to support that theory over the competing theory that "unicorns do not exist"

by all means continue to call everyone in this thread misinformed, but understand that we will only accept this hypothesis if you provide evidence for your assertion. so far, you have failed spectacularly in doing so.

Chuee

Smash Hero
i guess as long as we don't have a clear agreement of what "burden of proof" means, then we won't get much farther lol :bubblebobble:

sorry if i derailed your thread a bit, murarengan
I don't believe in aliens because we have yet to have proof of them existing.
Does that mean I think aliens don't exist? No

Top Bottom