• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why I'm not an Atheist

NNID
Budget_Player
Hey Suntan Luigi. You know what that's called? In scientific research, we refer to that as a "*****-slap". Seriously, dude, vet your goddamn sources. This is strike one. At strike three, that is, the third time you come up with sources which are understood to be complete horse****, I'm going to assume that you aren't simply stupid, but lying on purpose.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Which of these do you dispute?

1. Whatever begins to exist has a cause.
  2. The universe began to exist.
  3. Therefore, the universe has a cause.
God is the uncaused cause since He is not bound by any of the laws or rules of our world.
The 2nd, actually. Define 'began to exist', cause generally it is believed that there was no time before the big bang (ie no 'before the big bang'). And I don't know how something can 'begin' if time itself does not exist.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I don't understand why you don't just lock the thread if you want everyone to stop talking so much....
Another deep philosophical question for Pangloss to delve to the root of!

kataklysm336

Smash Cadet

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
So the argument isn't bad, just incomplete, invalid, and weak? If that doesn't make a bad argument I'd love to know what does.
No. Basically, the Kalam argument spawns unjustified CONCLUSIONS, but the argument itself has some logical merit.

kataklysm336

Smash Cadet
No. Basically, the Kalam argument spawns unjustified CONCLUSIONS, but the argument itself has some logical merit.
This statement is a little vague. What do you mean it spawns unjustified conclusions? Do you mean that the conclusion doesn't follow from the premises? In which case it is invalid. Which means it is a bad argument.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
By that, I mean people take the argument and turn it into a god-proof argument. So, the argument itself isn't as bad as you make it seem it is, but the way it's used is bad.

kataklysm336

Smash Cadet
By that, I mean people take the argument and turn it into a god-proof argument. So, the argument itself isn't as bad as you make it seem it is, but the way it's used is bad.
People turn it into a "god-proof" argument? How? The conclusion is "therefore God exists and created the universe". It already is an argument for god. And a completely invalid one. Not to mention, even if we grant that it is valid, it wouldn't be sound because the premises assume so much. I don't understand how that makes a good argument.

:phone:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Besides, Craig usually puts 4 or 5 other arguments alongside it anyway, which kinda shows it's not that strong of an argument by itself.
And how many of these suggestive or probability arguments does it take for God to be proven?

Answer: Zero, because they don't conclusively say anything.

My favorite argument of his is when he says we can just feel God in our hearts. :D

Corigames

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u6M...cFOrnNAICBobv4wzWvx7c8JC2JxFUfT5LAo=#t=10m20s
...or when he says that he doesn't care what the evidence, reality, etc say and goes, foremost, with what the Bible teaches. That's what makes me think he's an objective, rational thinker.

Also, if this person is now lo longer replying, it's not my place to either. Hate this thread, just had to clear that up. Resume. I'll go back to lurking.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
People turn it into a "god-proof" argument? How? The conclusion is "therefore God exists and created the universe". It already is an argument for god. And a completely invalid one. Not to mention, even if we grant that it is valid, it wouldn't be sound because the premises assume so much. I don't understand how that makes a good argument.

It is not inherently a god-proof. It's a proof that SOMETHING had to be a cause; that's it. It doesn't elaborate on what it is or its nature.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Remember if your insults aren't veiled you will be infracted!

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
It is not inherently a god-proof. It's a proof that SOMETHING had to be a cause; that's it. It doesn't elaborate on what it is or its nature.
This is pretty much correct.

The biggest problem is that it doesn't explain why God is afforded the property of being uncaused whilst physical things cannot. To explain that, God would have to completely different properties to physical things. That's possible, until you start giving God things like the Trinity, which are no less random or contingent than physical properties.

Top Bottom