• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does the Smash community have a stigma against sword-wielders?

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
No offense but is that because you play Lucina?

I agree they should just be alts like Alph and Koopalings tho.
None taken haha
IMO, echoes are barely characters. So I don’t see the problem with Sakurai having extra time to make popular characters alts.
Even in Smash 4, Lucina and Dark Pit were upgraded last minute to a character, because they were popular and the dev team had extra time.

The whole “glorified alt” thing seems more prominent now because you can combine them into one slot.

So... they're essentially justified either way because people still find ways that set them apart, is what I'm taking from this.
Yeah. Honestly.

And even if that weren’t the case, people still love the characters for who they are. It’s been like that since 64.

There are some extreme cases like Pit and Dark Pit, but there are gameplay variances in their character, even if they are slight, they make a huge difference in comfort and competition.

I really hope they change the knock back on more of Dark Pit’s moves, personally. I know Roy is getting a new D-tilt too, so that helps.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Because there are just too many of them. You get the sense no matter how unique a portion of them may be. If Smash were to receive an anime adaption, the sword wielders would realistically dominate.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I have no issue with them, but the issue is that the amount of them is kind of overwhelming and some of them play similar to each other, whereas other people would rather play as a character with a unique moveset.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Because there's too many generic fe characters in the game. If they gave us a samurai and an axe weilder, things would be much better. People want to see a variety of weapons. It's smash bros, not swords bros.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Although Fire Emblem is easily the biggest offender when it comes to the stigma against sword wielders, let's not forget they did a pretty lousy job on some of the others as well. All 3 Links are clones/semi clones of each other and the Mii Swordfighter literally pulls moves form the rest of the swordfighting cast.

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
I am. Again, Corrin and Robin added nothing new playstyle wise. Spacing, Juggling, spam side B. Cloud's playstyle is very similar to Shulk's, the latter is only limited by slower movement and divided hitboxes. The both play by moving around a lot, small amounts of spacing but also slight "in your face" play, hard punishing for catching them off guard or surprising them with something unexpected (limit/monado)
There is now way you actually believe that. Robin and Corrin added quite a bit in terms of unique gameplay.

Robin literally has tomes which give him different moves. his neutral B has different levels to it giving him about 3 or 4 different neutral specials. He can literally fire a laser across the stage (Thoron). When he runs out of tomes he has access to the tomes themselves as an entirely different projectile. He is also the only character in the game to have smash attacks in the air.

Corrin literally transforms into a dragon for a majority of his attacks. He also has the dragon pin attack which is a move unlike any other in smash. He also is the only character in the game that can damage opponents whiles charging a smash attack. He also has partial dragon transformations which allow him to change the range at which he can engage his opponents.

Shulk can also change his characteristics on a whim to adapt to almost any situation, unlike any other character. He also has backslash which has different properties whether he hits his opponent face to face, or in their back.

I think you don't fully understand character play styles. Sword characters use their swords to keep their opponents at sword length. Brawler characters have to get as close as possible to punch or kick their opponents. It's not that Robin and Corrin don't add anything new, It's just that you don't like how sword characters play in general.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
There is now way you actually believe that. Robin and Corrin added quite a bit in terms of unique gameplay.

Robin literally has tomes which give him different moves. his neutral B has different levels to it giving him about 3 or 4 different neutral specials. He can literally fire a laser across the stage (Thoron). When he runs out of tomes he has access to the tomes themselves as an entirely different projectile. He is also the only character in the game to have smash attacks in the air.

Corrin literally transforms into a dragon for a majority of his attacks. He also has the dragon pin attack which is a move unlike any other in smash. He also is the only character in the game that can damage opponents whiles charging a smash attack. He also has partial dragon transformations which allow him to change the range at which he can engage his opponents.

Shulk can also change his characteristics on a whim to adapt to almost any situation, unlike any other character. He also has backslash which has different properties whether he hits his opponent face to face, or in their back.

I think you don't fully understand character play styles. Sword characters use their swords to keep their opponents at sword length. Brawler characters have to get as close as possible to punch or kick their opponents. It's not that Robin and Corrin don't add anything new, It's just that you don't like how sword characters play in general.
Ness used to be able to damage opponents by charging his yo-yo, don't know if they brought that back.

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
Ness used to be able to damage opponents by charging his yo-yo, don't know if they brought that back.
I think I remember that. Well my point still stands. 2/74 characters can damage opponents whiles charging a smash attack.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
If you ask me the problem isn't sword wielders. The real problem is that there too many long-legged wierdos in smash. You think someone with a head that tiny can be reasoned with?

osby

Smash Obsessed
If you ask me the problem isn't sword wielders. The real problem is that there too many long-legged wierdos in smash. You think someone with a head that tiny can be reasoned with?
But they are beautiful people...

xoazi

Smash Rookie
NNID
kyziii
Switch FC
SW-3315-9796-7008
100% sure people are like this is because of the Fire Emblem characters. I don't really mind, but hey, to each their own.

Khao

Smash Lord
I wouldn't be so sure that Fire Emblem is the reason for this whole thing. I've been hearing complaints against sword users since Brawl.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
If people dislike a bunch of sword fighters who don't even compose a fifth of the roster, then they are going to hate Soul Calibur.

Because there's too many generic fe characters in the game. If they gave us a samurai and an axe weilder, things would be much better. People want to see a variety of weapons. It's smash bros, not swords bros.
How?
Conceptually, a Samurai is still a sword user and wouldn't differ much in what Marth and Roy are, and an axe would offer no diversity in function as it would be wielded just like a sword. Picture Ike using an axe instead of Ragnell for all of his attacks animations. The only notable difference would in the aesthetics of the weapon he is holding.
The only significant thing I can think of is throwing a hand axe, but Simon and Richter gots us covered already in that department.
And calling it Slash Bros or something is just a meme that gets exaggerated. They are not even 25% of the roster.

I believe they brought that back. Saw it in some of the exhibition matches.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don’t have a problem with that. I agree that this whole “too many sword fighters” argument is ridiculous and stupid it’s not even funny.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
If people dislike a bunch of sword fighters who don't even compose a fifth of the roster, then they are going to hate Soul Calibur.

How?
Conceptually, a Samurai is still a sword user and wouldn't differ much in what Marth and Roy are, and an axe would offer no diversity in function as it would be wielded just like a sword. Picture Ike using an axe instead of Ragnell for all of his attacks animations. The only notable difference would in the aesthetics of the weapon he is holding.
The only significant thing I can think of is throwing a hand axe, but Simon and Richter gots us covered already in that department.
And calling it Slash Bros or something is just a meme that gets exaggerated. They are not even 25% of the roster.

I believe they brought that back. Saw it in some of the exhibition matches.
A samurai would work extremely differently vs roy or marth. Samurais have specific playstyles. Have you ever seen project m's incomplete lyn mod?
or have you ever played anything like black and white bushido? And also look at takamaru. Their playstyles would be very different.

Also, axe attacks work very differently compared to swords, and the strong hitbox would be found at the end of the axe. The character would be much slower compared to marth, but he'd have kind of a tipper playstyle. Almost like marth X ike or something which would be kinda cool. Also the way the axe would swing would be very different.

the issue isnt that theyre 25% of the roster or whatever. Its just theres so many FE characters that its annoying. I dont think the problem is so much against sword wielders, its the franchise representation. There arent even that many mario or zelda characters, and there are so many other franchises that should be getting into the game. ALSO, simply having different types of weapons in the game - whether it be just aesthetic or not, makes a big difference.

Another type of weapon btw that would work great is a bo/staph. Like kilik from soul caliber for example. Or krystal from star fox.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

I said that a while ago.
And if someone would please stop taking me out of context, I understand that Robin and Corrin are VISUALLY DIFFERENT. But I'm talking about their PLAYSTYLES. They're ALL THE SAME. Air juggling. Spacing. Conditioning. They all rely on that more than others. Especially predicting DI and airdodges, which other fighters don't rely on too much.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I said that a while ago.
And if someone would please stop taking me out of context, I understand that Robin and Corrin are VISUALLY DIFFERENT. But I'm talking about their PLAYSTYLES. They're ALL THE SAME. Air juggling. Spacing. Conditioning. They all rely on that more than others. Especially predicting DI and airdodges, which other fighters don't rely on too much.
That's kind of rich, looking at your main.

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
I said that a while ago.
Air juggling, spacing and conditioning? Dude you are literally talking about competitive / high level gameplay. It has nothing to do with the characters it is just a playstyle that people use. The same applies to many other (non sword wielding) characters like :ultfalcon::ultbayonetta::ultbowser::ultgreninja::ultfox::ultfalco::ultrosalina::ultmario::ultluigi::ultmewtwo: just to name a few.

Air juggling - People aren't going to just let you land on the stage for free if they can help it. Especially when they can get a lot of damage out of keeping you in the air.

Spacing - Why intentionally space a move poorly. Certain characters have different effects on their hit boxes at certain ranges. :ultmario::ultsamus: you want the fire affects of their f-smash to get the best hit box. :ultluigi: :ultjigglypuff: You want to be right on your opponent for his up B and her down B respectively. :ultrosalina: You want to make sure that Luma is dealing the hits rather that Rosalina in most cases. Spacing is a fundamental part of fighting games, it doesn't change because a character has a sword or not.

Conditioning - If i can control the way you think in a match I will do it. :ultfalcon::ultmario: Conditions people into air dodging to land down airs or forward air respectively. :ultdiddy::ultmegaman: Conditions people to air dodge to land up airs. :ultlittlemac::ultryu: Condition people to shield to break shields. Conditioning is also a fundamental part of fighting games.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Look, I've already said my piece in this topic, and it was neutral, but my only issue against sword characters is that they give my poor boy, Ness, a hard time. :( They out range him. Poor Ness. .____.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
A samurai would work extremely differently vs roy or marth. Samurais have specific playstyles. Have you ever seen project m's incomplete lyn mod?
or have you ever played anything like black and white bushido? And also look at takamaru. Their playstyles would be very different.

Also, axe attacks work very differently compared to swords, and the strong hitbox would be found at the end of the axe. The character would be much slower compared to marth, but he'd have kind of a tipper playstyle. Almost like marth X ike or something which would be kinda cool. Also the way the axe would swing would be very different.

the issue isnt that theyre 25% of the roster or whatever. Its just theres so many FE characters that its annoying. I dont think the problem is so much against sword wielders, its the franchise representation. There arent even that many mario or zelda characters, and there are so many other franchises that should be getting into the game. ALSO, simply having different types of weapons in the game - whether it be just aesthetic or not, makes a big difference.

Another type of weapon btw that would work great is a bo/staph. Like kilik from soul caliber for example. Or krystal from star fox.
Unless you can sell me on a current samurai moveset in Smash, I'm not buying the argument that she wouldn't contribute to the sword fighter stigma. Everyone can say that X character would have a unique moveset and playstyle if they were in Smash if compared to other fighters that are already in because of the imagination vs implementation scenario. Everyone can imagine the best moveset ever. I've seen the Lyn mod, but she doesn't exactly seem to offer anything wildly different from what we have seen in fellow speedy sword users Marth and Roy; both are fast with one focusing on fencing and the other being close quarters, but the projectile is actually neat even though it's borrowed from Link. Not saying that she could not be successfully implemented by professional devs, but I can't not see her contributing to the sword fighters stigma even if she is a Samurai.
For the record, I wouldn't mind Lyn.

Fine, picture Marth with the same animations and tipper mechanic but wielding an axe and with Robin's running speed then.

True, the saturation of FE characters did the sword fighter stigma no favors.

But then, when choosing potential picks, do we pay attention to the character itself or the weapon they are wielding? Would people care about Krystal if she didn't have a staff?
I would say that Corrin, as controversial he is, has a pretty unique moveset despite being a sword user. He uses dragon abilities and the appendages he morphs are reminiscent of lance combat. As disliked as he is, he does bring variety to the table without being a Marth derivative.

Edit: Eh? And now some people are saying that they are the same because they have the same playstyles due to relying on conditioning, air juggling, spacing, etc... I don't even -___-
That's entering into the realm of hairsplitting, Jesus.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Ryu Myuutsu Ryu Myuutsu raises a great point about imagination versus implementation (I'm tagging instead of quoting because I only care about a couple bits of the post and don't want to go to the trouble of trimming it, lol). In particular, this pertains to Vaati, as, to be honest, the real reason I care about his inclusion in Smash is because of his potential as a fighter, specifically with a moveset that specializes in windboxes. If Vaati gets in, but with a moveset that doesn't properly live up to my expectations, I’m going to be sad about the wasted potential. Likewise, I care less about Vaati specifically than the niche that he can fill — I root for Vaati specifically because he's the aerokinetic character I'm familiar with. And in Krystal's case, I mainly started supporting her because she's a female staff-weilder who can stand out from the other Star Fox representatives. I like the character, but I'm also invested in the niche she can fill. (For Bomberman, however, make no mistake — it is Bomberman himself I care about, and I won't be happy with somebody else ripping off his shtick.)

Heck, a lot of the characters I support aren't even characters I would have thought to support on my own (though I do think they could be very interesting in Smash) — I just want to see their fans be happy. (Geno and Dixie Kong are grouped into this camp, as are Isaac and Shantae to a lesser extent.) My pipe-dream characters — Corsola, Dragonite, and Moge-ko — are entirely my own, though.

Last edited:

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
The short answer is blame Fire Emblem, but I don't think it is that simple. I don't think it is really Fire Emblem over saturation, more like Fire Emblem implementation. As it stands there are many FE characters that only use a sword. Sakurai has decided to leave every FE character in their base classes which limits their moveset to only a sword. If I was in charge of changing the characters movesets:

:ultmarth: :ultrobin :ultcorrin:Do not need changes.

:ultike: Would switch from Ragnell to the Urvan (Ike's dad's axe) as his down B instead of counter. This gives him an axe moveset and a sword moveset. He would also have a projectile in axe or sword form.

:ultroy: Would have more fire in his moveset and a projectile.

:ultchrom: :ultlucina: Would have access to javelins and other forms of lances, as special / smash attacks.

This way the FE cast would have access to other weapon types making it a lot less easy for people to whine about them.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Air juggling, spacing and conditioning? Dude you are literally talking about competitive / high level gameplay. It has nothing to do with the characters it is just a playstyle that people use. The same applies to many other (non sword wielding) characters like :ultfalcon::ultbayonetta::ultbowser::ultgreninja::ultfox::ultfalco::ultrosalina::ultmario::ultluigi::ultmewtwo: just to name a few.

Air juggling - People aren't going to just let you land on the stage for free if they can help it. Especially when they can get a lot of damage out of keeping you in the air.

Spacing - Why intentionally space a move poorly. Certain characters have different effects on their hit boxes at certain ranges. :ultmario::ultsamus: you want the fire affects of their f-smash to get the best hit box. :ultluigi::ultjigglypuff: You want to be right on your opponent for his up B and her down B respectively. :ultrosalina: You want to make sure that Luma is dealing the hits rather that Rosalina in most cases. Spacing is a fundamental part of fighting games, it doesn't change because a character has a sword or not.

Conditioning - If i can control the way you think in a match I will do it. :ultfalcon::ultmario: Conditions people into air dodging to land down airs or forward air respectively. :ultdiddy::ultmegaman: Conditions people to air dodge to land up airs. :ultlittlemac::ultryu: Condition people to shield to break shields. Conditioning is also a fundamental part of fighting games.
Yep. You took the words right out of my mouth. The only difference between Robin and Corrin vs. everyone else you mentioned is that they actually have the aesthetic of a sword wielding anime character, and they're both from Fire Emblem, which is another issue entirely.

Also meleebrawler meleebrawler if you're not going to refrain from ad hominem arguments at least explain how my main has anything to do with this.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yep. You took the words right out of my mouth. The only difference between Robin and Corrin vs. everyone else you mentioned is that they actually have the aesthetic of a sword wielding anime character, and they're both from Fire Emblem, which is another issue entirely.

Also meleebrawler meleebrawler if you're not going to refrain from ad hominem arguments at least explain how my main has anything to do with this.
King Dedede is literally the swordiest of superheavies with his big mallet. He does everything you claim is being done too much with other swordies: conditioning (via gordos and floating), juggling and spacing. It proves that no matter what kind of melee weapon a character uses, they're always going to fall back on those precepts because that's how you balance having more range on normals. A spinny hammer head is technically unique, but does nothing to alter his playstyle.

Also Kirby-related and on the flipside, there is Meta Knight. He has a sword, but because it's short, he has better frame data to compensate, which lets him play more aggressively.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
King Dedede is literally the swordiest of superheavies with his big mallet. He does everything you claim is being done too much with other swordies: conditioning (via gordos and floating), juggling and spacing. It proves that no matter what kind of melee weapon a character uses, they're always going to fall back on those precepts because that's how you balance having more range on normals. A spinny hammer head is technically unique, but does nothing to alter his playstyle.

Also Kirby-related and on the flipside, there is Meta Knight. He has a sword, but because it's short, he has better frame data to compensate, which lets him play more aggressively.
"King Dedede is literally the swordiest of superheavies with his big mallet."

You just contradicted yourself twice there.

One: We are talking about swords. Is a mallet a sword? No. How did you mix that up? Beats me. Being the only character that wields a mallet I'm not sure how you can bring Dedede into this.

STOP GRASPING AT STRAWS

Dedede is a heavyweight. You yourself said that. His frame data is slow, he has no out of shield punishes, his hitboxes launch in awkward angles, he can't juggle with aerials, etc. Everything you said is wrong. The only thing that was right was that yes, Dedede relies on mixups with his floating, but his gordos are more for setups, stage control, and edge guarding than they are conditioning.

But somehow Meta Knight, who does wield a sword, doesn't fall into your category of "normals," because he has fast frame data....just like the four Marths that have been the main subject of sword wielders for years.

Honestly, I don't think you can believe what you're saying. Dedede in no way falls into the category that we're talking about, MK does, and you say he doesn't. I feel like your argument was formed just to take a shot at my profile picture and my mains so I would leave.

Like I said, STOP GRASPING AT STRAWS

And next time don't resort to ad hominem arguments.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
"King Dedede is literally the swordiest of superheavies with his big mallet."

You just contradicted yourself twice there.

One: We are talking about swords. Is a mallet a sword? No. How did you mix that up? Beats me. Being the only character that wields a mallet I'm not sure how you can bring Dedede into this.

STOP GRASPING AT STRAWS

Dedede is a heavyweight. You yourself said that. His frame data is slow, he has no out of shield punishes, his hitboxes launch in awkward angles, he can't juggle with aerials, etc. Everything you said is wrong. The only thing that was right was that yes, Dedede relies on mixups with his floating, but his gordos are more for setups, stage control, and edge guarding than they are conditioning.

But somehow Meta Knight, who does wield a sword, doesn't fall into your category of "normals," because he has fast frame data....just like the four Marths that have been the main subject of sword wielders for years.

Honestly, I don't think you can believe what you're saying. Dedede in no way falls into the category that we're talking about, MK does, and you say he doesn't. I feel like your argument was formed just to take a shot at my profile picture and my mains so I would leave.

Like I said, STOP GRASPING AT STRAWS

And next time don't resort to ad hominem arguments.
Ike is heavyweight too, so he's not a swordie by your definition? Mine is a character that fights primarily with long, disjointed hitboxes, which describes Dedede very well. Doesn't matter if that disjoint is a hammer or a blade. Seriously, if you gave Dedede an axe, other than having to maybe change one or two moves, would he play any different without any other changes?

I'm absolutely not trying to diss Dedede. He's just a great example of how the merits of different melee weapons are exaggerated in terms of playstyle, like how Meta Knight is an example of how you can get very distinct playstyles even with the same type of weapon. Yes Marth and his "echoes" have good frame data, but MK can do two dairs or uairs in the time it would take the "Marths" to do one. The speed difference is night and day, and gives him much more, and longer, true combos than most swordies. He only technically counts since his moves are almost all disjointed, but they aren't long at all so he can't rely on spacing.

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
Honestly, the only reason I dislike swordfighters is because I'm bad at fighting them.
Haha...ha.
ha.......

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Ike is heavyweight too, so he's not a swordie by your definition? Mine is a character that fights primarily with long, disjointed hitboxes, which describes Dedede very well. Doesn't matter if that disjoint is a hammer or a blade. Seriously, if you gave Dedede an axe, other than having to maybe change one or two moves, would he play any different without any other changes?

I'm absolutely not trying to diss Dedede. He's just a great example of how the merits of different melee weapons are exaggerated in terms of playstyle, like how Meta Knight is an example of how you can get very distinct playstyles even with the same type of weapon. Yes Marth and his "echoes" have good frame data, but MK can do two dairs or uairs in the time it would take the "Marths" to do one. The speed difference is night and day, and gives him much more, and longer, true combos than most swordies. He only technically counts since his moves are almost all disjointed, but they aren't long at all so he can't rely on spacing.
*Slaps face*
This entire thread is about the aesthetic of sword wielders, not hitboxes. Having similar hitboxes or weight schematic makes you guilty of nothing. The only reason I brought up playstyle is because yes, Robin and Corrin function in a very similar way. We don't care what Dedede wields, as long as it's not a sword, since so many fighters use swords. A hammer is a unique aesthetic, that's what we want.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
*Slaps face*
This entire thread is about the aesthetic of sword wielders, not hitboxes. Having similar hitboxes or weight schematic makes you guilty of nothing. The only reason I brought up playstyle is because yes, Robin and Corrin function in a very similar way. We don't care what Dedede wields, as long as it's not a sword, since so many fighters use swords. A hammer is a unique aesthetic, that's what we want.
Well, sorry, it's just when I read this...

I said that a while ago.
...I'm not the first one to bring up gameplay instead of aesthetics. Besides, the thread title is not specific about the reason for sword hate. It could be any reason.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Uh oh, gotta give boxing gloves or knuckles of various shapes to the fist fighters so that we can have more unique aesthetics,

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
If just having a sword makes it the same the aesthetic, why don't you complain about the fistfighters?
I do, but this thread is about swordfighters.
Also it's not as big of a deal since everyone has limbs so it only makes sense that they use punching/kicking when they don't have a melee weapon. It took me a while to accept that, but I still have a little problem with it.

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
Oh I just saw this thread right now lol. Excellent topic and one that bothers me because it's BS to say that we have too many Swordfighter.

You could could have a whole roster with Sword Fighter and make them all unique. That's one of the main problems with smash imo, it has very few unique Swordfighter. They don't have creative minds for the most parts when creating swordfighter, but fortunately there are few exceptions. Still kinda sad that Lyn is deconfirmed since we don't have a samurai-sword-style in the game yet.

For example if we take a look to Arc Sys games we have characters like Ragna, Jin, Kagura, Jubei, Sol, Ky, Johnny, Yu, Minazuki, Sho, Mitsuru and many many more and guess what? They all play and look completely different. Swordfighter can work just as fine as any other fighter so I hope the smash community will finally lose that thought of there being too many of them.

And if we go by that logic, there are too many "fist-fighter" too. And like half of the "Melee-Combat" characters have the same up-air, Bair or some other move, I wonder why that isn't a problem to most people lol.

Last edited:

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
:ultcorrin::ultike::ultlink::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultrobin:ultshulk::ultmarth::ultcloud: Um...
Yes those were the ones I was refering to as "exceptions", since there also is Young Link, (Toon-Link), Dark Pit, Lucina, Roy and Chrom (I think that's all of them) which don't bring anything new to the table.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yes those were the ones I was refering to as "exception", since there also is Young Link, (Toon-Link), Dark Pit, Lucina, Roy and Chrom (I think that's all of them) which don't bring anything new to the table.
Same can be said for :ultdoc::ultfalco::ultganondorf::ultisabelle::ultlucas::ultluigi::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultrichter::ultwolf::ultdarksamus:

Top Bottom