• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does the Smash community have a stigma against sword-wielders?

D

Deleted member

I've never understood why this community has such a dis-taste for characters that wield-swords. It just seems ridiculous to me. Why all the hate? What's wrong with characters the have swords as a weapon?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Probably because there are just quite too many.

:ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultganondorf::ultike::ultlink::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultmetaknight::ultroy::ultchrom::ultshulk::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink:

I have no issue with it though.
14 characters that attack with swords out 73 characters that have other methods of fighting doesn't seem like a huge number to me.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
13 characters that attack with swords out 73 characters that have other methods of fighting doesn't seem like a huge number to me.
They do seem to take up a quarter of the roster though so that's where it probably comes from.

Oh also forgot :ultmiifighters:. So that's 14. :p

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
They do seem to take up a quarter of the roster though so that's where it probably comes from.

It's not even a fifth of the roster though, never mind a quarter. :p

D

Deleted member

Well still, the community has been absolutely salty about people requesting other characters that wield swords, even if said character brings something to the table that most others don't.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Blame Fire Emblem. They gave sword wielders a bad reputation, always being so Fire Emblemy and same-moves-y.

D

Deleted member

Blame Fire Emblem. They gave sword wielders a bad reputation, always being so Fire Emblemy and same-moves-y.
Agreed. I just wish people would be more open to some character ideas.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I never recalled what Pit and Dark Pit wielded being swords but rather some kind of blades or something.

As for Robi-Oh crap he does have a sword too. Damn the book he tends to use made me overlook that.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I blame Sm4sh.

:ultlucina::ultrobin:ultshulk::ultcloud::ultcorrin: :ultdarkpit: and :ultmiifighters:(swordsfighter) which was probably where it tipped over the edge. Of the 21 newcomers, a third of them were swordsmen. Dark Pit, Corrin and Robin also use other things outside a blade, but that's still a large percentage dedicated to one weapon in one sitting.

"BUT MORE PEOPLE USED THEIR FISTS"
Well no ****, because nearly every character has hands and feet. Including those with swords, but there's a big difference between deciding to take up and study a weapon opposed to merely using your body to fight in a fighting game, and a good chunk of weapon users in this game are just more swordsmen.

A little variety wouldn't go amiss amongst weapon users, even if some play very differently.

D

Deleted member

I never recalled what Pit and Dark Pit wielded being swords but rather some kind of blades or something.

As for Robi-Oh crap he does have a sword too. Damn the book he tends to use made me overlook that.
Granted, I'm not sure if the Pits count.

TheBean

Banned via Warnings
Because they all have similar/identical playstyles and it becomes easier to excuse for grandfather fighter in this way. More sword wielders don't add new creative ways to play anymore.

D

Deleted member

I blame Sm4sh.

:ultlucina::ultrobin:ultshulk::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultdarkpit: and :ultmiifighters:(swordsfighter) which was probably where it tipped over the edge. Of the 21 newcomers, a third of them were swordsmen. Dark Pit, Corrin and Robin also use other things outside a blade, but that's still a large percentage dedicated to one weapon in one sitting.

"BUT MORE PEOPLE USED THEIR FISTS"
Well no ****, because nearly every character has hands and feet. Including those with swords, but there's a big difference between deciding to take up and study a weapon opposed to merely using your body to fight in a fighting game, and a good chunk of weapon users in this game are just more swordsmen.

A little variety wouldn't go amiss amongst weapon users, even if some play very differently.
I wouldn't necessarily blame Smash 4. While yes, a lot of newcomers in that game did wield swords, characters like :ultrobin,:ultcorrin:,:ultshulk:, and :ultcloud: all played different from one another. My stance one swordies is this; It's not the weapon that makes the man.

I think plenty of characters the wield swords can be unique if they've got some creativity and thought behind them. Like Oddball Oddball said, I think Fire Emblem is probably the cause of all of this, as 4 out of 7 of those characters play identical to one singular character. But, hey opinions and all that.

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
I really don't get it either. It probaby has a lot to do with Fire Emblem and the "too many swords" there, but that's a whole other can of worms.
Swords are one of the most commonly wielded weapons in videogames. Most protagonist carry one, but they all do in very different manners or combinations. Of course we're going to have a lot of swords in a game that's based around bringing characters from other franchises.

Because they all have similar/identical playstyles and it becomes easier to excuse for grandfather fighter in this way. More sword wielders don't add new creative ways to play anymore.
This is just wrong. Meta Knight, Link, Shulk, Robin, Corrin, and a lot of characters play nothing like the others, and all of them present some unique way of both wielding the sword, and how the sword itself is. Saying that sword wielders don't add creative ways to play is just wrong.

D

Deleted member

Boy no. That may be true for :ultyounglink:,:ulttoonlink:,:ultdarkpit:,:ultroy:,:ultlucina:, and :ultchrom:, but it sure as hell is not true for any other character with a sword.
:ultlink:,:ultpit:,:ultmetaknight:,:ultmarth:,:ultike:,:ultrobin,:ultcorrin:, and :ultcloud: all play different from one another.

TheBean

Banned via Warnings
I really don't get it either. It probaby has a lot to do with Fire Emblem and the "too many swords" there, but that's a whole other can of worms.
Swords are one of the most commonly wielded weapons in videogames. Most protagonist carry one, but they all do in very different manners or combinations. Of course we're going to have a lot of swords in a game that's based around bringing characters from other franchises.

This is just wrong. Meta Knight, Link, Shulk, Robin, Corrin, and a lot of characters play nothing like the others, and all of them present some unique way of both wielding the sword, and how the sword itself is. Saying that sword wielders don't add creative ways to play is just wrong.
Mk is Ok. So is Shulk. Robin, Corrin, and the rest of the FE cast are all about spacing and juggling with aerials, or spamming Side B. Link, Tink, and Yink all function the same. Pit and Dark **** are literally the exact same. Need I say more?

As someone who mains most fighter for the hell of it I know.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mk is Ok. So is Shulk. Robin, Corrin, and the rest of the FE cast are all about spacing and juggling with aerials, or spamming Side B. Link, Tink, and Yink all function the same. Pit and Dark **** are literally the exact same. Need I say more?

As someone who mains most fighter for the hell of it I know.
Then let me ask you this then; do you think that Ryu Hayabusa of Ninja Gaiden, a ninja that wields a katana and various other weapons, such as tonfas, a staff, and claws on both hands and feet, also having access to the mystical art of Ninpo, and being trained in martial arts, would play exactly the same and no different whatsoever from Dante of Devil May Cry, who wields a giant sword, usually gauntlets and grieves, an demonic electric guitar, a freaking weaponized briefcase, and two pistols that seemingly never have to be reloaded?

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
That's a pretty ugly generalization you're doing there. Of course disjointed characters are about spacing, that's using your traits in your favor. Kinda like how short-ranged characters with good frame data are supposed to rush you down, and I don't think you can compare Mario to Captain Falcon just because of that.
I won't talk about the Links, but I consider playing Adult Link very different to the small ones, the properties that are changed matter quite a lot.
And... Did you just said that an Echo Fighter plays exactly the same as their original fighter? Well colour me surprised.

TheBean

Banned via Warnings
Then let me ask you this then; do you think that Ryu Hayabusa of Ninja Gaiden, a ninja that wields a katana and various other weapons, such as tonfas, a staff, and claws on both hands and feet, also having access to the mystical art of Ninpo, and being trained in martial arts, would play exactly the same and no different whatsoever from Dante of Devil May Cry, who wields a giant sword, usually gauntlets and grieves, an demonic electric guitar, a freaking weaponized briefcase, and two pistols that seemingly never have to be reloaded?
You're the one who made this thread. Did you create it to bait people into expressing their opinions and lashing out at them for it?
I could care less about those two since they're never going to be in Ultimate anyway. At least, not the base game. As for the descriptions you gave: TL;DR.
Like I said: I've been playing smash for years. I know how constructing a unique moveset is done and what it takes. A lot of these swordfighters may be far from clone movesets but they have identical playstyles.

I'm not responding to further nonsense.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well my main problem mostly goes towards Fire Emblem and all of them have swords (while they have two echoes too) though I probably don't count Robin as he prefers magic, and I'm not sure on Corrin's status as I don't know much about him.
It's true that they all play differently somehow. Outta those sword fighters, you have the primary ones that is :ultlink: who mixes it up with a shield and various weapons, :ultmarth: being swift with some grace, :ultike: being the powerhouse, :ultmetaknight: also being fast with a different style, and :ultpit: who technically isn't one but he introduces twin blades in the game slightly with his moveset. At the same time, there's multiple characters who have some similarities to another who wield swords, where I mostly look towards Lucina, Chrom, and not sure if the 3 Links count since they seem generally different now, and you can add Dark Pit to the list if you count Pit as a pseudo sword user... well, dual swords.

While it's true that they all play differently in some way or form, it doesn't help that I'm just not big on much swords in general, whereas I just prefer magic in a way. So in the end, I blame Fire Emblem the most for some of the disdain for swords, though I admit there's some characters who wield swords who I just don't like either.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You're the one who made this thread. Did you create it to bait people into expressing their opinions and lashing out at them for it?
I could care less about those two since they're never going to be in Ultimate anyway. At least, not the base game. As for the descriptions you gave: TL;DR.
Like I said: I've been playing smash for years. I know how constructing a unique moveset is done and what it takes. A lot of these swordfighters may be far from clone movesets but they have identical playstyles.

I'm not responding to further nonsense.
Well, someone's salty.

No, I created this thread to ask people what they thought about the whole "anti-sword fighter stance" this community was adopting.
You came in here and said all sword fighters have nothing different from each other, and that they were all the same. I countered you argument by asking you if Ryu Hayabusa would play similar to Dante if either of them got into Smash.

The fact that you're getting all mad at me, when all I did was ask you a question, and calling me out for supposedly "baiting people", when I have done no such thing nor do I ever intend to do, shows me that your "argument" is bull****.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
I'm probably about to repeat a bunch, but oh well.
It's probably because a lot of characters use swords:
:ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultike::ultlink::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultmetaknight::4miisword::ultroy::ultchrom::ultshulk::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink:
And as a stetch::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultrobin
Now overall, 16/73 or 74 isn't a whole lot percentage wise. It's about 20%, or 1/5 of the roster. But it's somewhate large when they all use the same weapon. I don't think it's a problem, because the only non-unique characters are the 3 echoes, and 3 semi-clones. This is probably why there's a somewhat negative stigma towards swordusers.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I wouldn't necessarily blame Smash 4. While yes, a lot of newcomers in that game did wield swords, characters like :ultrobin,:ultcorrin:,:ultshulk:, and :ultcloud: all played different from one another. My stance one swordies is this; It's not the weapon that makes the man.

I think plenty of characters the wield swords can be unique if they've got some creativity and thought behind them. Like Oddball Oddball said, I think Fire Emblem is probably the cause of all of this, as 4 out of 7 of those characters play identical to one singular character. But, hey opinions and all that.
As someone who supports HW Impa, I'm not against more swords. I do still think more weapon variety would be more interesting however than swords, swords and yet more swords. Heck, I'd be down for her to use her Naginata instead even though her water weilding giant blade is the default choice even though I know a water summoning giant blade has plenty of room to be different from fellow giant swordswielders like Cloud, Ike and Shulk.

I genuinely do think many who didn't care too much about swords got a case of sword fatigue in Sm4sh, and as a result the stigma was born.

Might be an aesthetic issue as well since I've seen people online and offline alike state "Another ****ing anime swordsman" when Chrom showed up. As someone who was semi-excited for Chrom that was upsetting, but hey; I can't argue their point. Only :ultmetaknight:, :ultmiifighters: and :ulttoonlink: don't look like they could be from the same series. Maybe people want more visual desimilarities too? Heck if I know.

This is mere speculation on my part rather than me stating as fact, but I didn't notice such a back(s)lash against swords users in Brawl even with the likes of :ultpit::ultmetaknight::ultike::ulttoonlink: being added that game. Perhaps there was less overlap back then with only Toon Link being a "hey, this looks familiar" swords type opposed to what we currently have available.

D

Deleted member

I'm probably about to repeat a bunch, but oh well.
It's probably because a lot of characters use swords:
:ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultike::ultlink::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultmetaknight::4miisword::ultroy::ultchrom::ultshulk::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink:
And as a stetch::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultrobin
Now overall, 16/73 or 74 isn't a whole lot percentage wise. It's about 20%, or 1/5 of the roster. But it's somewhate large when they all use the same weapon. I don't think it's a problem, because the only non-unique characters are the 3 echoes, and 3 semi-clones. This is probably why there's a somewhat negative stigma towards swordusers.
Cool points. I agree.
As someone who supports HW Impa, I'm not against more swords. I do still think more weapon variety would be more interesting however than swords, swords and yet more swords. Heck, I'd be down for her to use her Naginata instead even though her water weilding giant blade is the default choice even though I know a water summoning giant blade has plenty of room to be different from fellow giant swordswielders like Cloud, Ike and Shulk.

I genuinely do think many who didn't care too much about swords got a case of sword fatigue in Sm4sh, and as a result the stigma was born.

Might be an aesthetic issue as well since I've seen people online and offline alike state "Another ****ing anime swordsman" when Chrom showed up. As someone who was semi-excited for Chrom that was upsetting, but hey; I can't argue their point. Only :ultmetaknight:, :ultmiifighters: and :ulttoonlink: don't look like they could be from the same series. Maybe people want more visual desimilarities too? Heck if I know.

This is mere speculation on my part rather than me stating as fact, but I didn't notice such a back(s)lash against swords users in Brawl even with the likes of :ultpit::ultmetaknight::ultike::ulttoonlink: being added that game. Perhaps there was less overlap back then with only Toon Link being a "hey, this looks familiar" swords type opposed to what we currently have available.
Well, to each their own. I'd be down for more weapon variety as well (Bandana Waddle Dee anyone?), I just don't agree with the notion that Smash must exclude any all sword characters because "they all play the same and they can't add anything unique to the roster!" That's nonsense.

:ultmegaman: and :ultsamus: both have arm cannons, does that mean we should exclude Zero because he has an arm cannon too? Should we permanently ban Jin Kazama from Smash because :ultryu: and :ultlittlemac:are both fighters? Should we ban Ryu Hayabusa on the absurd notion he wouldn't be different from :ultgreninja: or :ultsheik:?

If a sword character can bring something unique to the table, then let them. Don't define the character by what weapon or fighting method they use.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
Cool points. I agree.

Well, to each their own. I'd be down for more weapon variety as well (Bandana Waddle Dee anyone?), I just don't agree with the notion that Smash must exclude any all sword characters because "they all play the same and they can't add anything unique to the roster!" That's nonsense.
YES! I couldn't agree more. As long as they're a cool and fun character, I couldn't care less what weapon they use.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I don’t have an issue with it personally but I can see why people would have an issue with it given they can feel the same.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Swords are fine.

:ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink: They have swords, they also have bombs, grappling hooks, boomerangs, bows. Cool (I wish between these 3 we had more representation for their individual games, which is a whole other topic)

:ultganondorf: - Just for smash attacks, has lots of dark looking moves with his feet and fists, cool.

:ultgreninja: - His swords are water and not his entire moveset, cool.

:ultshulk: - His one sword has a bunch of different playstyles, ok cool.

:ultrobin - Sword and magic, very unique.

:ultmetaknight: - Very fast sword attacks, cool I guess?

:ultcorrin: - Dragon powers? Nice.

:ultpit::ultdarkpit: - Their swords (PLURAL) are also a bow, neato.

:ultmiifighters: - who cares its a Mii

-

:ultmarth::ultlucina: - Oh same **** but not an alt, they threw tiny differences in their exact same moveset to give everyones waifu her own portrait on CSS

:ultroy: - Oh Marth with fire.

:ultike: - Oh cool he's unique, slower and heavier.

:ultchrom: - Oh not this **** again.

The problem isnt "sword wielders" it's Fire Emblem sword wielders that are just rehashed when there are plenty of other methods of combat, some of which aren't even in this game with 70+ characters, but we keep getting this garbage when they could easily be alts, or actually made unique. Go big or go home.

No axe users
No spear users
No bow users
No magic users (Robin is half, at least we have that)
No shapeshifters (Corrin provides some dragon transformations but thats literally nothing compared to some other characters)

Lots of characters in the Fire Emblem games can use more than one weapon, I haven't played the older games but for example, Lyn started as only swords, and then she gets stronger and can use a bow.

So why can't they make a unique moveset for Chrom, who can throw javelins and use an axe in addition to some sword moves?

The problem is not about these characters "taking other characters spots" - that's stupid, because they are made in such a lazy way so that we can have more characters, but most (including me) would prefer 4 unique FE reps, not all these characters that are lame and don't even fight like they should, just to save time.

However, we shouldn't hate on Fire Emblem. Most of their main characters are royalty, and you usually won't see a prince with an axe over some ancient sword, lame and boring but that's how just about every game is.

Bottom line, it's just lazy and the best part of a reboot would be giving them a chance to purge this ****.

This all comes from someone who enjoys Fire Emblem, but cannot stand it's representation in Smash at all.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The problem isnt "sword wielders" it's Fire Emblem sword wielders that are just rehashed when there are plenty of other methods of combat, some of which aren't even in this game with 70+ characters, but we keep getting this garbage when they could easily be alts, or actually made unique. Go big or go home.

No axe users
No spear users
No bow users
No magic users (Robin is half, at least we have that)
No shapeshifters (Corrin provides some dragon transformations but thats literally nothing compared to some other characters)

Lots of characters in the Fire Emblem games can use more than one weapon, I haven't played the older games but for example, Lyn started as only swords, and then she gets stronger and can use a bow.

So why can't they make a unique moveset for Chrom, who can throw javelins and use an axe in addition to some sword moves?

The problem is not about these characters "taking other characters spots" - that's stupid, because they are made in such a lazy way so that we can have more characters, but most (including me) would prefer 4 unique FE reps, not all these characters that are lame and don't even fight like they should, just to save time.

However, we shouldn't hate on Fire Emblem. Most of their main characters are royalty, and you usually won't see a prince with an axe over some ancient sword, lame and boring but that's how just about every game is.

Bottom line, it's just lazy and the best part of a reboot would be giving them a chance to purge this ****.

This all comes from someone who enjoys Fire Emblem, but cannot stand it's representation in Smash at all.
I feel bad for you man. I'm not huge on FE, but it sucks the your series roster is Smash Public Enemy #1 now.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I have no issue with Sword Wielders. Just Sword Wielders from Fire Emblem. I may not like the series, but I know that it has more to offer than swords.

D

Deleted member

Because the smash community always has something to complain about...

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
:ultpit::ultdarkpit: wouldn’t really count as sword users just becaus if their bows being able to become dual blades, they’re more so a halfies

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

:ultpit::ultdarkpit: wouldn’t really count as sword users just becaus if their bows being able to become dual blades, they’re more so a halfies
I was debating if they counted or not. They're more or less bow users that happen to have bows that can be melee weapons.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I was debating if they counted or not. They're more or less bow users that happen to have bows that can be melee weapons.
Pretty much, though we still have :ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultike::ultlink::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultmetaknight::ultmiifighters::ultrobin:ultroy::ultchrom::ultshulk::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink: and I suppose :ultganondorf::ultgreninja: (the only sword hate I understand is the Fire Emblem one, but overall it isn’t a problem)

D

Deleted member

Pretty much, though we still have :ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultike::ultlink::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultmetaknight::ultmiifighters::ultrobin:ultroy::ultchrom::ultshulk::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink: and I suppose :ultganondorf::ultgreninja: (the only sword hate I understand is the Fire Emblem one, but overall it isn’t a problem)
I wouldn't really count :ultgreninja: seeing as how it uses water attacks, but overall I agree it's not that big of a deal.

Jakisthe

Smash Cadet
Too many of the sword characters play too similar to other sword characters. 2 Link semi-clones? 3 FE ones? All of that flying in the face of the fact that it would be super easy to make interesting movesets for those or the others, and it becomes a shorthand for lazy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom