• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does Link suck in every game that's not the Legend of Zelda?

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
you've probably never played brawl before.
xD That made me laugh.

As for SC2... well, I don't think I could be considered very good in that game considering I never had anyone to play, but you can bet I was a Link user through and through! I even found a few combos with him. :D Up+b, Up+b, Down+bx3. (Double Rocket Stab to triple Smash Style Dair. :D Except a few times it would get escaped by like... the SC2 version of DI I guess is what it was. Ohwell.)

Trollian

Smash Cadet
you've probably never played brawl before.
you probably don't know who everlasting yayuhhz is

As for SC2... well, I don't think I could be considered very good in that game considering I never had anyone to play, but you can bet I was a Link user through and through! I even found a few combos with him. :D Up+b, Up+b, Down+bx3. (Double Rocket Stab to triple Smash Style Dair. :D Except a few times it would get escaped by like... the SC2 version of DI I guess is what it was. Ohwell.)
whats a DI

sasook

Smash Champion
whats a DI
DI = directional influence

You hold the direction you want to go. So say Marth throws you up. If you DI left in the midst of his grab, you'll fly up and left. Likewise, DI'ing right will make you go up and right. And so forth.

Trollian

Smash Cadet
DI = directional influence

You hold the direction you want to go. So say Marth throws you up. If you DI left in the midst of his grab, you'll fly up and left. Likewise, DI'ing right will make you go up and right. And so forth.
you obviously didn't catch my blatant sarcasm.

I said "whats a DI" because that combo in SCII wouldnt work on anyone who has the mental capacity to hold left or right.

it really sucks when you have to explain a joke.

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
Nope. Care to teach me how to jump and stuff? I don't know anything about the game. :(
You're a Meta Knight main, are you not?

No offense, but exactly what would you know about how good Link could be if his recovery didn't suck? I think Link would kick serious *** if his recovery was better. Imagine Meta Knight's recovery was as bad as Link's along with 2 sucky jumps. Meta Knight would probably be forced into bottom tier because he can't gimp anymore and he doesn't have a whole lot of KO moves until the enemy reaches about 160%. Plus he doesn't have projectiles. (Yay, Link!)
Now, if Link was given just a decent recovery so he could continue to do damage without dying at 40% because his recovery sucks...

In my opinion, it's all Link needs to earn a position on the higher end of the tier list.
If you played Link a bit more and actually become good with him, you just may understand the true potential he holds.

Trollian

Smash Cadet
You're a Meta Knight main, are you not?

No offense, but exactly what would you know about how good Link could be if his recovery didn't suck? I think Link would kick serious *** if his recovery was better. Imagine Meta Knight's recovery was as bad as Link's along with 2 sucky jumps. Meta Knight would probably be forced into bottom tier because he can't gimp anymore and he doesn't have a whole lot of KO moves until the enemy reaches about 160%. Plus he doesn't have projectiles. (Yay, Link!)
Now, if Link was given just a decent recovery so he could continue to do damage without dying at 40% because his recovery sucks...

In my opinion, it's all Link needs to earn a position on the higher end of the tier list.
If you played Link a bit more and actually become good with him, you just may understand the true potential he holds.
nope, that doesn't change link's ****ty approach, predictable and harmless killing/edgeguarding game, massive lag and mediocre (even by brawl standard's) comboability. not to mention his projectiles are borderline pathetic now.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
nope, that doesn't change link's ****ty approach, predictable and harmless killing/edgeguarding game, massive lag and mediocre (even by brawl standard's) comboability. not to mention his projectiles are borderline pathetic now.
I predict a future flame war... so to clear this mess up: Link's approach isn't the best, I agree. Harmless edgeguarding game? Have you heard of Zair edgeguard, Dair Edgeguard, or Speed Hugging? Massive Lag? Ganondorf has "massive lag", but because you play meta knight it may seem "massive" because "lag" doesn't exist in meta knight's moveset. Link's projectiles aren't "borderline pathetic", stop being stubborn. Bombs do 8-10% and the gale boomerang can set Link up for a jab lock.

Meta Knight owns Link, there's no denying that. There's no use complaining about Link's recovery, it's never going to change. I agree with trollian on the whole "it won't get him to high tier" thing, but not with the comments.

Finns7

Smash Ace
Have you played a good Link player before? Link has combos which can be setup using his projectiles. I think they gayed his hookshot recovery the most though.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Yeah, I think what's REALLY killing Link is that we can't tether onto any part of the stage anymore.

Oh and Wafflez, Imma have to disagree with you on one thing. "Plus he doesn't have projectiles." (MK)

... As far as I'm concerned, MK IS A PROJECTILE. xD

Edit: I kinda was gonna replay to Trollian and Yahyuhs (however you spell it X_X) but I'm not going to waste my time if one's gonna be an *** and the other is going to not realise what game Aura plays. lol

Aurashade

Smash Ace
THE HALL OF FAME WHERE THE COOL PEOPLE GO
Nope. Care to teach me how to jump and stuff? I don't know anything about the game. :(
obviously not

I can't teach you as well as some of the kids that go up to you if you go to toy r us and go into the game room and scream "how do i pooning noobs"

all the little kids will be able to tell you s***

if that doesn't work you're kinda screwed because of your lack of intelligence or genitalia

Lone Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I've never played a SC game, is it fun? Kinda bored, so I might go out and get a game...anyone give me some info on it? Thanks =)

Deva

Smash Lord
I think Link would be mid tier if he had a decent recovery.

And Everlasting Yeayuuz just fell into Aura's trap XDD

theshortgamer

Smash Cadet
On the stage I can basically spam projectiles to setup combos and do pretty decent with Link, but his edge guarding sucks.

With Samus I find the opposite problem, now she sucks just fighting regularly on the stage but her edge guarding is winz

sasook

Smash Champion
If you like strategy, Melee is equal or better than Brawl.
If you like pressing lots of buttons, Melee is better than Brawl.
If you like speed, Melee is better than Brawl.
If you like sex, Melee is better than Brawl.

Any questions?
I lol'd so hard at this.

On the stage I can basically spam projectiles to setup combos and do pretty decent with Link, but his edge guarding sucks.

With Samus I find the opposite problem, now she sucks just fighting regularly on the stage but her edge guarding is winz
His edgeguarding doesn't suck. Just because he can't jump far off the stage like Samus can with her new floatiness doesn't mean he can't edgeguard effectively.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
In Soul Calibur II, I ***** the extremely hard computer and everybody else with Link. Of course, mastering guard impact is a must. But IMO not many people take the time to master this fast-paced game. It was like my Melee. (I didn't play Melee all too much, cuz of SCII). It's just not as played or popular as Smash Bros. is. Now I've switched to smash bros. as my main fighting game cuz SCIII and IV are waaaay too different from SCII.

Trollian

Smash Cadet
In Soul Calibur II, I ***** the extremely hard computer and everybody else with Link. Of course, mastering guard impact is a must. But IMO not many people take the time to master this fast-paced game. It was like my Melee. (I didn't play Melee all too much, cuz of SCII). It's just not as played or popular as Smash Bros. is. Now I've switched to smash bros. as my main fighting game cuz SCIII and IV are waaaay too different from SCII.
"i beat a computer" is possibly the WORST way to decide tier placement. EVER. possibly only beaten by "the computer of this character is good".

fyi, most competent players don't guard impact a lot because it's usually very predictable and leaves one very open because of how punishable it is.

i guess it's not awful though.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Link did suck in SC2......It didn't seem like it cause on the surface he had some great moves but he had some real problems at higher levels of play...

Ivy would just **** him all day.

I personally played Taki......it was just not fun to see link loose.....

O and beating a computer is a terrible way to determine tiers....

even worse...I think to determine tiers Sakuri had computers fight eachother to determine the fairness of the game....

NEVER TRUST AI....TO DO ANYTHING

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
"i beat a computer" is possibly the WORST way to decide tier placement. EVER. possibly only beaten by "the computer of this character is good".

fyi, most competent players don't guard impact a lot because it's usually very predictable and leaves one very open because of how punishable it is.

i guess it's not awful though.
First of all, I didn't claim Link's place in the tier based on playing computers. Second, you obviously haven't played anyone that can perform well-timed guard impacts. When I play the computer, guard impact is all over the place, when I play other people, I don't have to guard impact as much, because all I have to do is be aggressive and guard impact at the right moments. Guard impacting is not predictable. Augh, you don't know anything about SCII. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. YOU DON'T.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Guard breaking is a pretty decent way to get an edge on the opponent, but overusing them does tend to leave me open a little bit. Link plays well, but the boomerang is the stupidest thing ever seen on SCII. The bow is cool (shooting people in the foot is funny) and useful for combos, and bombs can be a little tricky, but do have some payoff when done in certain situations. IMO the piggyback throw with the megaton hammer is by far the coolest one in the game.
Link does seem to have serious drawbacks in most games. He was alright in SCII, but lacked good combos and seemed much more of a defensive character. I think Link's talent lays in his complete variability in Brawl (except for the clearly obvious, awful, stupid, idiotic recovery!!!). He has multiple ways to edgeguard, for example, including nair (very useful and with almost no lag when an opponent already has the edge), projectiles, Zair, dair, edgehogging using the ever versatile zair to regain invincibility, jumping off backwards and using bair, then using zair to regain the edge (my personal fav)...
He may not have the brokenness quality of MK, but Link's potential lies in his ability to deal with *almost* all situations (minus the broken ones).

Dark_Wolf101

Smash Rookie
Link has been my best character since Melee. I still love to use him, but I can't help but notice he isn't as potent a fighter he was in the last game. The trick with Link is to constantly incorporate your projectile attacks, even at close range. Shoot arrows at brawling opponents, throws bombs at rovering oppenents, and use your boomerang at close range to draw you enemy in for a charged-up smash attack. Link's other advantages are his "double-slash" forward smash attack and his long[er]-ranged clawshot grab attack. His disadvantages are, of course, his weak recovery, slowness and horrible lag, but these can be countered through the use of tactics. Think about a combo and then execute it, and constantly shield and roll to avoid the small pangs of damage which usually end up bringing Link down. It's also important to attack your enemy when recovering from a fall. Even though Links Up+B move lags alot, the option of charging it makes it possible to time the attack well, and this makes a lot of difference, because it gives you the chance to follow up with areial attacks combos. Items are also important to incorporate; not just to use, but to throw as well. I guess this applies to any character, but more so for Link, considering his weaknesses. Link works much better against single opponents, as he usually ends up collateral damage in Brawls, because of his lack of speed (a punching bag, if you will). For multiplayer, Link works the best in big stages (the Great Temple, for example, is perfect), where he can strategise, make good use of his projectiles, and avoid getting stuck betwen faster opponents.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
sc2 link sucks so much balls it's unbelievable probably bottom 3 and his moves all sucked his projectiles all sucked and his good features included ring-out throws and 66B and MAYBE his ABK

after that everything he had was either garbage, a poke, or subpar

in melee he was probably at his best so far. mid tier.

in 64 he was bottom.

brawl he's at least low i keep hearing people say he has potential but he's still really, really slow and his projectiles are slow so he's not moving past being upper low in the future operating under the assumption that he moves at all.

4Serial

Smash Lord
wow david
how did you find your way here
brawl link boards lmfao

agreed, he was even terrible in his own zelda games. I would have rather played as midna or epona

sasook

Smash Champion
The trick with Link is to constantly incorporate your projectile attacks, even at close range. Shoot arrows at brawling opponents, throws bombs at rovering oppenents, and use your boomerang at close range to draw you enemy in for a charged-up smash attack.
Although this is partly true, some thought has to go into it. You can't just spam projectiles and expect to win. SOME close range battle must be done, Link's tilts, with the exception of down, are great finishers.

Link's other advantages are his "double-slash" forward smash attack and his long[er]-ranged clawshot grab attack.
Not many people fall for the second hit of the attack, unless they're at a low percentage. And his grab range is shorter, both in the air and on the ground. I will not deny that it's useful, though.

constantly shield and roll to avoid the small pangs of damage which usually end up bringing Link down.
Um......no. Do you even realize how easily rolling is countered, especially with someone who rolls slowly like Link? Shielding and spot dodging are the ways to go.

Even though Links Up+B move lags alot, the option of charging it makes it possible to time the attack well, and this makes a lot of difference, because it gives you the chance to follow up with areial attacks combos.
A fully charged upB clean strike (meaning hit in the first frames of the attack) will usually knock the opponent too far to follow up with an aerial.

Items are also important to incorporate; not just to use, but to throw as well. I guess this applies to any character, but more so for Link, considering his weaknesses.
No one plays with items, sorry.

Link works much better against single opponents, as he usually ends up collateral damage in Brawls, because of his lack of speed (a punching bag, if you will). For multiplayer, Link works the best in big stages (the Great Temple, for example, is perfect), where he can strategise, make good use of his projectiles, and avoid getting stuck betwen faster opponents.
This is based on opinion. In free for alls, he has many more opportunities to use his smashes. Bombs are a great way to rack up the entire crowd's damage. He doesn't have to be a punching bag if you don't want him to be. Just play smart, be aware of the opponent's, don't spam but don't leave yourself open. Oh, and just about anyone can survive on the lower level of Temple.

Link is good, and he's my favorite character in brawl, but rethink your strategies a little. AT's, for example, were not mentioned at all.

Drolian

Smash Journeyman
Link had no pressure game and crappy lows in SCII.

You guys should know by now no one plays Link to win, you play Link because he's ****ing Link.

sasook

Smash Champion
You guys should know by now no one plays Link to win, you play Link because he's ****ing Link.
I agree with that 100%, I know that's why I play him.

Oh, that is BY FAR the best sig I've ever seen. Period.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I agree Drolian. It's the only reason I have most of the games I do. Except Melee and Brawl (I actually got Melee for Mewtwo :p)

Weruop

Smash Ace
im also upset that such icons such as mario link and even samus are so low compared to characters who shouldnt even be in the game imo , or atleast arent nintendo icons, like meta and snake.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Ya I play link because he's badass, lol I actually just like his various styles that he can use and the defensive game he can play when I need a defensive character. Btw Weruop I hate your Olimar:)

Nic64

Smash Lord
I can't explain SCII, but as far as smash goes, sakurai is clearly driven by petty motives. His creations in brawl are all high tier or better, two in top tier and one the best character in the game. The second best character was created by a close friend of his. Kirby was top tier in SSB, can't explain melee I guess. Stars of most other significant franchises are weak(mario, samus, link, sonic, how about mewtwo for a melee reference). In the transition to brawl, samus and link were nerfed even though neither of them needed it *at all*, especially link. Link will never be great in a smash bros. game because the staff has contempt for him.</crazy, stupid conspiracy theory>

EDIT: for some serious input, link has more issues than just his recovery, give him a great recovery and he might jump up to the upper range of the bottom third of the cast, his projectile game is still a shell of what it was previously and a shell of toon links and that is just as significant a problem for him. his approach is bad but that wouldn't be as much an issue if he could actually force his opponents into approaching, only problem is that so many characters can outcamp him and working around his projectiles isn't particularly difficult for most of the others.

Top Bottom