• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Do Some People Deem Marth A Broken Character?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
eh... novice again...

where is this psuedo tier list coming from?

I can understand people making junk... but it seems pretty official coming from high ranked posters backing up with great explanations and seemingly experienced stuff going on... and if there's a link> that'll be cool, i'm just curious what crazy things are going with the tier list, as i think i stated, i've only focused on marth... and i realized i don't play enough to even consider myself die hard... i'm as casual as i can be...will be... i realized.

I'm just curious... for instance I wanna know what pros think of pikachu... and I've looked at other character discussion threads... just... hard to really find a solid thread comparing all of the characters I WANT to look into... just out of curiousity...

I stated pikachu... because electro-**** is cheap... how cheap? Iono... its myfault you can warn me if i'm being too lazy...
I'm quite sure there is no definitive tier list yet (definitive meaning one released by the SBR). Most of the talk comes from those looking at how characters place in tourney results, especially larger tourneys.

So simply put, there's no real tier list yet. Just play who you like to play as (in your case it seems to be Marth, lol).

You are a woman?

Serious question.
Serious thread became increasingly more interesting with a simple question from Emblem Lord.

I agree that Marth's Fsmash isn't as "broken" or effective as people make it out to be though. If you want a foe off of you, Dolphin Slash or Ftilt usually does that for me, the latter having the more similar effect of a typical Fsmash.

And we all know that after 12:00 AM EST is when typos instantly become more common. <_<

cutter

Smash Champion
Snake does not have lingering hitboxes. G&W is a very good example of a character that has lingering hitboxes on his moves (Ftilt, Fsmash, Fair to name a few)

Marth is not broken. His range has greatly diminished in exchange for his more powerful tippers. However, his attacks MUST be tippered to be actually powerful. He also has no projectile and no good way to stop them giving him some problems against characters with good projectiles. His recovery is also linear, making him a victim of gimping.

Counter basically means you have to mix up your approaches and also be able to grab. Shield cancel approaches are a great way to bait a counter-happy Marth and punish him.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
eh... novice again...

where is this psuedo tier list coming from?

I can understand people making junk... but it seems pretty official coming from high ranked posters backing up with great explanations and seemingly experienced stuff going on... and if there's a link> that'll be cool, i'm just curious what crazy things are going with the tier list, as i think i stated, i've only focused on marth... and i realized i don't play enough to even consider myself die hard... i'm as casual as i can be...will be... i realized.

I'm just curious... for instance I wanna know what pros think of pikachu... and I've looked at other character discussion threads... just... hard to really find a solid thread comparing all of the characters I WANT to look into... just out of curiousity...

I stated pikachu... because electro-**** is cheap... how cheap? Iono... its myfault you can warn me if i'm being too lazy...
IMO Pikachu is much cheaper than Marth.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
LOL.

Pikachu is not better then Marth.

But that's not what this thread is about and I said what I had to say.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Snake does not have lingering hitboxes. G&W is a very good example of a character that has lingering hitboxes on his moves (Ftilt, Fsmash, Fair to name a few)

Marth is not broken. His range has greatly diminished in exchange for his more powerful tippers. However, his attacks MUST be tippered to be actually powerful. He also has no projectile and no good way to stop them giving him some problems against characters with good projectiles. His recovery is also linear, making him a victim of gimping.

Counter basically means you have to mix up your approaches and also be able to grab. Shield cancel approaches are a great way to bait a counter-happy Marth and punish him.
Umm, against projectiles, he has a few things:

1. eat it, not the best most of the time, but sometimes necessary.

2. crouch, and it does avoid some

3. Jab A or ftilt negates many projectiles

4. SHAD, roll, or Perfect Shield are all good ways of dealing with projectiles.

5. Counter sometimes.

and against a good marth, shield options aren't all that hot either (ie neutB, sideB, etc.). His recovery, while vertical, is hard to gimp if he's in reach of the edge, if anything, it's one of the better "fight for the ledge" recoveries, as it comes out fast and has a few invincibility frames.

IMO Pikachu is much cheaper than Marth.
LOL.

Pikachu is not better then Marth.

But that's not what this thread is about and I said what I had to say.
there is a difference.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
IMO it equals the same thing.

The cheaper a character is, the better they are.

gallax

Smash Hero
pikachu is cheap. There's no doubt about that. ****ing noob character.
I highly disagree with this. sure pika's dsmash is great but i have yet to see a noob use the QAC effectively, or at all. you are prob just mad b/c you get wrecked by pika. he is a great character. not top tier(yet) but those tier lists arent gonna be set for at least a year. and even then they will still move. being cheap means that the character has an advantage in battle and that makes that character better.

if there is a noob character out there then it should be given to ike imo. even then. no reason to get mad about it.

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748

No, it isn't the same thing. Pikachu is cheap; marth is just very good. Marth can't flat out dictate how a match is played due to cheap moves like a snake or a pickachu.

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
I highly disagree with this. sure pika's dsmash is great but i have yet to see a noob use the QAC effectively, or at all. you are prob just mad b/c you get wrecked by pika. he is a great character. not top tier(yet) but those tier lists arent gonna be set for at least a year. and even then they will still move. being cheap means that the character has an advantage in battle and that makes that character better.

if there is a noob character out there then it should be given to ike imo. even then. no reason to get mad about it.
I don't get recked by pikachu. I just don't like his cheap *** moves. He's not hard, he's just lame fighting.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama

sorry, but I have to disagree. Armpit (yes I call him that) is considered by many to be cheap, but not entirely good. So is Wolf, and all the labelled "noob-friendly" chars. There are good and cheap chars, like MK, and snake, but Marth/Falco/Lucario are ones that I have to say are ones that are pretty good, but take a different sort of person to utilize them to the best extent. IOW (in other words), Marth is a good char, but is considered by half of the cast to be "not so cheap" due to his inability to play him from the get-go.
But then again, it's an IMO, so I can't really "prove", just show.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
One of the main reasons Marth is thought of as being cheap is because in Melee he was well... broken (in a good way, Marth I will always love you). However that does not come without practice. You cant pick up a controller and start 3 stocking people because your using Marth. Like many of the "cheap things" in this game (IC chaingrabs) they take practice and being able to use it is your reward.

The fixed impression in our minds as Marth being so godlike is still there. Many new characters joined the roster that are probably going to be considered better (There is no official tier list yet). Meta and Snake anyone?

Basicially given time, people will finally realize that Marth has his strengths and weaknesses like every other character. All we need is to be shown who keeps winning all the time...(Freaking Snake =/)

What makes him good is his potential. You still need to practice, which makes him not cheap.

When playing a "cheap" character, always remember. Characters arent cheap, the people that use them are.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Emblem Lord is silly. He actually thinks Marth is cheaper/better than Pikachu. olololol.

All jokes aside, I won't be convinced. Pikachu is horribly overpowered in Brawl, that much is obvious. Unless I'm playing Lucas, I consider Pikachu to be a greater threat than Marth.

For starters, Marth only has a chain grab on Ness/Lucas. Pikachu has a chain grab on a lot of characters, and QUACK. And Thunder...and just overall horriblevilness. Statistically he may not be better than Marth, but his glitches break him.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
A question.

Did anybody even *define* what the word "cheap" means?

Or is it just some vague label every person is clinging to according to a meaning of his or her choosing?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
CG doesn't make Pikachu better.

Marth has better match-ups overall, better moveset, better options. Pikachu has a handful of good moves and a CG, and QAC which is cool, and adds to Pikachu's mindgames, but it's not amazing.

I guess you guys think cheap is pick up and play. No.

Watch a vid of Magneto in MvC2. You will learn that cheap = Too good.

But I won't argue this. Since that's not what this thread is about.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Yea, ppl think marth is cheap because.........
1) they get pwned by him on the regular basis
2) they tried him and can't use him
3) they are pissed cuz marth is straight and wont be thieir date to senior ball

Its mostly a jealousy thing or a noob thing. They cant handle the marth, so they make excueses for having their backside handed to them.

gallax

Smash Hero
pika>marth. i main pika and practice hours upon hours with pika. i also use marth. he is my second best character at the moment. but...the more i play with both characters the more i think that marth is better than pikachu. imo, pika will never be higher on the tier list than marth unless a new tech comes out that turns pika into a god.

Top Bottom