• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people NOW care about Roy and Mewtwo?

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
The only reason Jiggs got into Melee was because of N64. Only reason s/he was in 64 was because of the hype she gathered for about a month. For some lovely explicit reason, they decide to trash the Legendary and go with ol' puff-alot in Brawl.

Honestly, big mistake. I doubt anyone would have cared of Jiggs got the boot up her pink arse.
In Melee,Jiggles was ALLOT better than Mewtwo.

She got in Smash64 because at the time,she was major in the Pokemon anime,and I dont see how you can say Jiggles got Mewtwo kicked out of brawl,if anything you could say its Lucario,even if they onyl share one move.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
Lucario doesn't serve as a replacement for Mewtwo. Although there are some similarities, he is much different in my opinion. Mewtwo was one of my mains and I had NO IDEA he wouldn't be in Brawl. :( My bro liked Roy a lot for his Up B. I really thought GaW was done and I really hoped he was. He is/was annoying as hell.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
The only reason Jiggs got into Melee was because of N64. Only reason s/he was in 64 was because of the hype she gathered for about a month. For some lovely explicit reason, they decide to trash the Legendary and go with ol' puff-alot in Brawl.

Honestly, big mistake. I doubt anyone would have cared of Jiggs got the boot up her pink arse.
It's actually because shes almost as popular as pikachu in japan.

EDIT: She's never been important to the anime. Drawing on people's faces is important?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
It's actually because shes almost as popular as pikachu in japan.

EDIT: She's never been important to the anime. Drawing on people's faces is important?
This.

Also, Jigglypuff contains an awesomeness that no other Pokemon can ever hold. I mean, it's a puffball that can breathe fire, shoot ice, summon electricity, and do a huge punch, among other things. How awesome is that?

...obviously, I'm talking about in Pokemon. Although it would be awesome if they gave Jiggs a moveset like that in Smash.
In SSB4, a bunch of older characters should get a moveset reworking. Like, some moves should stay (Falcon Pawnch, of course) but Yoshi ought to be fixed (his recovery in particular), Jiggs out to be revamped, etc. Certain moves should stay, but stupid ones like Sing (there's literally about 1 use for that)...there's just no excuse for them to stay in there this long.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
This.

Also, Jigglypuff contains an awesomeness that no other Pokemon can ever hold. I mean, it's a puffball that can breathe fire, shoot ice, summon electricity, and do a huge punch, among other things. How awesome is that?

...obviously, I'm talking about in Pokemon. Although it would be awesome if they gave Jiggs a moveset like that in Smash.
In SSB4, a bunch of older characters should get a moveset reworking. Like, some moves should stay (Falcon Pawnch, of course) but Yoshi ought to be fixed (his recovery in particular), Jiggs out to be revamped, etc. Certain moves should stay, but stupid ones like Sing (there's literally about 1 use for that)...there's just no excuse for them to stay in there this long.
Heck yeah, Thundering Jigglypuff!

Jigglypuff is/was very popular in Japan, and since Pokemon was a major series in the beginning, she was the best idea for a second rep. Jiggles should at least be able to move while Singing and get the Hyper Voice attack.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Jigglypuff is like a Smash staple at this point. Regardless of her place in her respective series, I think it'd just be wierd to not have her in a Smash Brothers roster now.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
it kinda sucks for the ppl who really did like Roy and Mewtwo but honestly i think Sakurai made the right decision in dropping them...
they have replacements...Ike is more unique and a refreshing addition while Lucario is a newer Pokemon which the game needed after what like 4 generations now, plus hes got similar moves to Mewtwo and even the interesting Aura skill

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I love that Jiggz stayed. She has an amazingly unique playstyle. Rohins said it best.

Mewtwo is one of my mains in Melee. He has such an amazing moveset.

Master of Fossils

Smash Apprentice
Even though Lucario is a 4th gen rep and better than mewtwo, Mewtwo was just plain awesome. He could have been so much darker and better in brawl.(not in comparison to lucario but to his melee version.) But I guess it doesn't matter now.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
In Melee,Jiggles was ALLOT better than Mewtwo.

She got in Smash64 because at the time,she was major in the Pokemon anime,and I dont see how you can say Jiggles got Mewtwo kicked out of brawl,if anything you could say its Lucario,even if they onyl share one move.
Actually, I heard (off of a headline in google search) that Jiggs was put in late into the development for brawl, while Mewtwo was already far into production. If they had not put in jiggs, they would've had more time for Mewtwo.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Can you imagine how much it sucked for people who mained Mewtwo AND had Roy as their secondary???

Anyway, the only relevant response to this thread is that if the other characters who were threatened with the chopping block (Ness, Jiggs, Falco, ECT.) actually got cut, then we would all be on the same side in this debate. And up in arms, too.

/thread

ShadowBlitz

Smash Apprentice
No one uses MewTwo. That's true. No one likes MewTwo either. People are just pissed that they replaced MewTwo with someone like Lucario. Seriously, I don't know one man who even looks at Lucario, whereas I know lots of people who main MewTwo.

As for Roy, lots of people used him as a main in Melee and were pissed when he didn't come in Brawl. Most people didn't like Roy in Melee, they thought he was extremely slow. They probablly would've fixed that if he were in Brawl. He probablly would've had a better moveset. That's how some people look at it.

cjrocker

Smash Ace
No one uses MewTwo. That's true. No one likes MewTwo either. People are just pissed that they replaced MewTwo with someone like Lucario. Seriously, I don't know one man who even looks at Lucario, whereas I know lots of people who main MewTwo.
General Brawl Discussion at it's finest!

okiyama

Smash Ace
It's human nature, you take things for granted until it is taken away.

Although your first post is wrong, Mewtwo is a whole hell of a lot better than lucario.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Actually, I heard (off of a headline in google search) that Jiggs was put in late into the development for brawl, while Mewtwo was already far into production. If they had not put in jiggs, they would've had more time for Mewtwo.
Sakurai said that all initial characters were decided on June 9, 2006, with no additions with the exception of third party companies that wanted a character added. The only one was Sega with Sonic. Jiggly and Mewtwo were both decided on at the same time with the same work.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
...What?
You said no one uses Mewtwo, but then you said that many people main him...isn't that contradictory?

I'll tell you something, I use Mewtwo, I like Mewtwo, everyone actually likes him. He may have a poor moveset, but he's certainly not disliked. People are upset he got replaced by Lucario, but that's not all. He's the only non-clone to get removed, there was no excuse for it.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I don't, he kinda sucked balls.
In a Pokemon context, everyone likes him. As in, his character. Obviously he was bad, he was the bottom of bottom tier.
And anyone who doesn't is insane, he's the original legendary.

HolyMoses

Smash Rookie
i was glad mewtwo left.
of course mewtwos cooler than lucario thats why i didnt want to see him get beaten by pikachu and jigglypuff again. the mewtwo on my gold version can beat lv100 pikachus, jigglypuffs, squirtles, ivysaurs and charizards in 1 shot. but that wouldnt work to well brawl if he was that strong. thats why lucarios a good replacement, 'cause he actually represents the crappy melee mewtwo.
imo, mewtwo should come back as a boss. one thats a pain in the *** to beat

4Serial

Smash Lord
The only reason people "didn't like mewtwo " or play him was because he was garbage in melee. He's still a cool character. If he was in Brawl, it wouldn't be guaranteed that he would be garbage. It's not impossible for him to step up a bit. I mean, just look at GaW. And **** all Mewtwo haters and Lucario supporters out there <_<

Puffs

Smash Ace
It's human nature, you take things for granted until it is taken away.

Although your first post is wrong, Mewtwo is a whole hell of a lot better than lucario.
I didn't take Mewtwo for granted. I savored every match and thanked the cruel smash gods for his inclusion in Melee. My world began falling apart as soon as that Lucario movie came out. Because I knew Mewtwo would be replaced in the newer, less fortunate generation of trainers and swept under the rug in favor of what's popular. Because with the rest of the game doing its best to avoid anime influence, Nintendo makes one franchise exception just to make a buck.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I didn't take Mewtwo for granted. I savored every match and thanked the cruel smash gods for his inclusion in Melee. My world began falling apart as soon as that Lucario movie came out. Because I knew Mewtwo would be replaced in the newer, less fortunate generation of trainers and swept under the rug in favor of what's popular. Because with the rest of the game doing its best to avoid anime influence, Nintendo makes one franchise exception just to make a buck.
Precisely this.

If we're going to add in Lucario, why not make PT Ash? After all, Lucario wouldn't mean **** to anyone if it weren't for that movie. He's undeserving and got a slot for god-knows-what reason. He's a rare Pokemon in-game, but other than that there's nothing special to him. There's already the 12 legendaries that are a step higher than him from fourth gen.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Lucario made it in for kind of the same reason Pichu was in Melee: he's a representative of the current generation of Pokemon at the time of release. None of the legendaries of the 4th gen would make good Smash fighters (well, Darkrai seems to have legs).

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Lucario made it in for kind of the same reason Pichu was in Melee: he's a representative of the current generation of Pokemon at the time of release. None of the legendaries of the 4th gen would make good Smash fighters (well, Darkrai seems to have legs).
Darkrai, Cresselia, and Heatran all seem like they could've worked. I would hate any of them playable, come to think of it, but...at least they have a reason to be in. Lucario got popular by the movie.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Darkrai, Cresselia, and Heatran all seem like they could've worked. I would hate any of them playable, come to think of it, but...at least they have a reason to be in. Lucario got popular by the movie.
Cresselia and Heatran? I really can't imagine that.

I wouldn't necessarily give the movie credit for all of Lucario's popularity.

bluebolt

Smash Journeyman
I already liked roy. and mewtwo was bad and I thought they might have made him better in this game. lol.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Cresselia and Heatran? I really can't imagine that.

I wouldn't necessarily give the movie credit for all of Lucario's popularity.
If Ivy can work than Heatran can imo.

Theres also Manaphy/ the 3 Mew rip offs.

And yes, I credit Lucario's popularity to the movie which came out when Sakurai was starting work on SSBB. Also, no, I wouldn't "blame" Nintendo for the anime jack off that is Lucario in Brawl. I would personaly think it's a mix of Sakurai's and GameFreak's choice.

PT is the rue rep for what the Pokemon game is about, he is the true mascott right with Pika and he has the 3 most Iconic starters. Lucario is the face of the current gen anime movies. He is the cool falvor of the month pokemon. Around the 5th or 6th gen he will be replaced by yet another pokemon. Thats the nature of movie pokemon that are gen "reps".

I think that when we get the next hype-mon that mon will replace Lucario if Sakurai chooses to replace/ cut characters again.

And on the topic, no, people arnt just now caring about Mew2. The whole Nintendo fan-base isn't repped via Smash forums and smash fans. Mew2 is a great pokemon who got the short in of the stick and people wanted him to be buffed like they did Zelda/ Pika/ KB. Hell, I KNOW people would be all over Mew2 like white on rice if he had Lucario's stats with his kick aas melee grabs/ throws/ retooled-attacks. And Taj wouldn't have to play Pitt. . .(-_-)

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Meh, I can't really see Heatran running around like Ivysaur does. Also, he doesn't have cool vines. Plus, he wouldn't do a handstand while standing on the edge XD

Black/Light

Smash Master
Meh, I can't really see Heatran running around like Ivysaur does. Also, he doesn't have cool vines. Plus, he wouldn't do a handstand while standing on the edge XD
I couldn't see Ivy doing any of that until it happened. And not having vines means. . . a better Up B:p

Not going to act like Sakurai is a creative god cause, if anything, reading his talks about Brawl have shown me that theres just some character's he can't make move-sets for. But I do think Heatran can work like a mix of Ivy and Bowser.

Either way, the 3 mew rips/ Darkrai/ Manaphy are all legends that could work.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I couldn't see Ivy doing any of that until it happened. And not having vines means. . . a better Up B:p

Not going to act like Sakurai is a creative god cause, if anything, reading his talks about Brawl have shown me that theres just some character's he can't make move-sets for. But I do think Heatran can work like a mix of Ivy and Bowser.

Either way, the 3 mew rips/ Darkrai/ Manaphy are all legends that could work.
One word: anime!

Yeah, they could've worked. But I think they've all missed their chance by now.

g2g4l

Smash Apprentice
I mean, seriously. Very few people cared about them before Brawl was released. But once they were confirmed to not be in the game, people became butthurt about for them.

Almost no one like Roy: Fire Emblem fans, Smash Players, tier worshippers, even Sakurai himself. Not only that, people WANTED him not to be Brawl.

For Mewtwo, it's worse. He was rarely played at all. And of course, the tier worshippers didn't like him.

So yeah, I would like to know why people cried about them not being in when the odds are, they were the same people who didn't even played as them.
First no one persons has even CLOSE to an right to speak for what everyone wants or who everyone plays.....i mean MAYBE to most people roy and mewtwo were bad characters but they were bad characters just like all the other ones until people began to play with them and people started to like them...for me by the time i really started to play melee brawl came out and i started to play that one and as a hardcore smash fan i more than happily play with EVERY character and what i want more than anything is more characters to master(not saying i have mastered any of them) but the concept of brawl is to have a great balanced fighting that pits(ha ha i said pit) all of our favorite characters from various games against each other to see who can beat who and of course you can't have every character in there and of course there are gonna be those who are sore about it but we are all still gonna have fun with what we have now and there is no reason to be upset on either side about them(roy and mewtwo) being gone or about people being really upset about them being gone(because of course they are gonna be) so everyone just needs to relax

Top Bottom