• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why did they not make Yoshi's tongue an edge grabbing move?

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I use Yoshi in Melee and sometimes in Brawl, and people make fun of me for it (even if I beat them.) But it always bugged me how Yoshi seemed to get the short end of the stick in rankings. Why? I mean, Yoshi has great air moves, strong smashes, a great grab move, and a simple projectile that can really give you an attacking advantage. What makes him so... well... not high? I think the answer was his recovery(at least what I think.) Even with a high second jump, he lacks a third to give him a higher placing. So what to do?

Well, I was surprised they didn't put this in, but Yoshi's tongue should have been an edge grab move. That really could have made up for bad recovery. But what about edgehoggers? Well, he can either swallow them from that move to make a Yoshicide and/or Up-B them to clear the edge for him to grab with his tongue.

Not as good as a third jump, but better than just having that little boost from the ^B, right?
Opinions? Criticism?

Chaco

Never Logs In
They didn't because it'd look pretty gay to hang off an edge by your tongue.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
its not sanitary, i mean, wario's been on thsoe ledges........
Yet it's sanitary for Yoshi to swallow Wario with his B/grab?
as for the sig, I've seen many like it. I get that it was a joke, but I wish peple would actually... nm

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I take it that no one here has played Yoshi's Story. He was able to pull himself up on certain things with his tongue. >_>

They need to make him have a tether the next game. Same with him being able to eat items.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Yeah, I thought about this too. It sound like a really good idea, other recoveries that need to be in...

Mario should have Luma Spin, FLUDD Hover Nozzel and the ability to glide with the cape he has. He has the FLUDD, and the cape now, but he can't do those with either of them. He's the King of Platformers, he needs to get on them somehow. I think Mario should be able to use all smash Bros. techniques as the all around character, wall kick, wall stick (well, he slid down the wall, but still,) crawl, and glide, he could do them all and he can't do any of them but wall kick in Smash Bros.

Donkey Kong needs a barrel cannon, if Sonic gets a spring, DK gets a barrel cannon that rotates in place.

Link gets to aim dual grappling hooks, and he can use one to grab people and the other to grab the edge. His abilities are based on TP Link so it would make sense and it would look cool.

Samus can aim hers too.

Bowser gets his shock-wave jump from 64 and Galaxy. It's like his 2nd main move.

Ganondorf can fly (not just with that new tech, which is kickass, let me tell you.)

Ike's sword is a short-ranged tether. He sticks his sword into the ground all the time anyway.

Alright, I'm done with my rant.

Airborne

Smash Lord
or wait.... what if his "going out of shield phase" could become an attack? i mean, come on, yoshi breaks out of that egg pretty fast, and those shards look pretty thick and sharp.... XD

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
Hm... I was actually wondering this myself. Why did Yoshi not get a tongue tether? He should have. Then again... hanging all your body weight from your tongue would be kind of painful. But I guess Yoshi could handle it anyway, considering he's pulling fat homos like Wario in with his tongue. lol. I guess it could go either way. But yeah, I do agree. A tongue tether would be cool, interesting, and unique... but sidestep jumping out of a shield would be even cooler. xD

Ostro

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7252-9309-8314
If Yoshi could:

-Tether recover
-Zair
-Jump out of his shield
-Have a short OoS animation
-And have a better egg lay

He would be pretty high in the tier lists compared to now, no doubt.

metlwing

Smash Rookie
It would be cool, but look kind of odd for yoshi to dangle by his tongue. Also, why can't he eat items with it.

Oh yeah, and when wario bites yoshi, its also silly though, considering yoshi ussually does the eating. So I gues odd situations are actually a big part of smash bros.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
It would be cool, but look kind of odd for yoshi to dangle by his tongue. Also, why can't he eat items with it.

Oh yeah, and when wario bites yoshi, its also silly though, considering yoshi ussually does the eating. So I gues odd situations are actually a big part of smash bros.
No doubt. Wario and Kirby can eat items... why not Yoshi? That's... strange. At least be able to egg lay items would have been cool, pointless, and fun. xD

Yikarur

Smash Master
Yoshi can't grab the Stage with his tongue because he would eat the whole Stage instead ;o

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
He has the potential to be, but he's weird. In this game, it seems like the basic rules are different for Yoshi, and he has to be mastered. As for a tether, it'd be sweet, but he'd turn the entire stage into an egg.

Dyz69

Smash Rookie
agreed but hey like they said in yoshi story and yoshi island, Yoshi grabs things with his toungerand propels himself in that direction however this would mean he wont hang on to the edge he would throw himself at it and then grab it like he normaly would,
but like you guys said kinda late for this to be suggested and nintendo is gonna be to ignorant
to read our opinion and forget about it anyway for the next games

*shakes fist at nintendo* Daaam You!

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
LOL at all the people who want Yoshi to have a z-air. Egg Lay does that same thing. XD

But yeah, I'm all for tether and eating items. It's like Sakurai WANTED Yoshi to remain mediocre.

Sharky

Smash Master
does anyone else see how much it'd hurt to be hanging by your tongue? Everyone here who supports this is a sick twisted freak! >.<!! [/angryactivistmode]

but I still love you all. =P

Top Bottom