• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why choose Y. Link over Link?

Aesir

Smash Master
Nice post buzz.

btw chip; if you really think all that, then go for it dude. seriously you're to diluted to even bother with.
If you honestly think y link gets less ***** than link by sheik, mm? lol I don't even use sheik either hell I'll sd twice. LOL

Cort

Apple Head
But.. Link is 7 years old than Young Link. That's 7 more years of experience for playing defensive, comboing well, killing people with good finishing combos, and most importantly MINDGAMES!!!!!!

Chip, your post had absolutely no real content any better than what Aesir had to say, and Aesir is just being realistic in a way that all the poor Young Link mains don't enjoy.

What exactly has happened since the current tier list was released until now that would make Young Link better? You guys are just fanboying your own mains mindlessly in an effort to make yourselves/them look better much like all the random "Roy is better than Marth" scrubs do. In conclusion, Young Link probably does better in a few random matchups no one cares about.

Let me summarize your post: Wow! Quit spamming, idiocy man! Your posts are not needed in my Young Link happiness chambers. Young Link is betters than the Link because of the bombs, the arrows, and his the maneuverability. Your posts have no logic, idiot face! You definitly have never played the good Fox/Marth/Falco, because Young Link is better than Link due to the combo mindgames. Also, combo stun. That was a bad move to make, on your part, in this debate................XD You have no skill whatsoever. The tier list is based on who people like more, not who is actually the better.

Actually, nevermind. I only think Link is better cause of his long, glistening hookshot.

Jash

Smash Lord
Oh god, this will never end. Ok this is a factor i know everyone will agree. Young Link and Link are not high tier because other characters are way better then they are...in some ways they are bad characters. Aniki beats Ken because he works hard to win with Link. Taj beats Forward because he works hard to win with Mewtwo. Bum beats Forward because he works hard to win with DK. As i said in a earlier post, You can beat anyone with anybody with hard work no matter how much the character sucks. End of discussion.

Cort

Apple Head
I can beat Ken if I work hard enough with Pichu. Yes, this is true.

But does it make Pichu better than Marth?

I guess so.

Aesir

Smash Master
Oh god, this will never end. Ok this is a factor i know everyone will agree. Young Link and Link are not high tier because other characters are way better then they are...in some ways they are bad characters. Aniki beats Ken because he works hard to win with Link. Taj beats Forward because he works hard to win with Mewtwo. Bum beats Forward because he works hard to win with DK. As i said in a earlier post, You can beat anyone with anybody with hard work no matter how much the character sucks. End of discussion.
Lol Ken ***** aniki in the actual tourney though so that victory holds no water.

Just shows link goes even with marth.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Dear Chip,

Judging by your level of reasoning and some fo your responses to what people have said in this discussion it's quite apparent that you lack a great deal of experience i this game and in life in general. "Undoubtedly you don't know what you're talking about" and "I know more than you do in this debate of "who's better." You most certainly displayed your knowledge of debate and smash in your post so very well there is not too much one could do to refute your points, if they were brain dead.

You start off by insulting Aiser. The mark of a true thinker, for certain you must have many years of experience debating, and several in smash. Claiming to know more than anyone else who has posted and then responding so poorly to points, or just completely ignoring them demonstrates your vast amounts of knowledge. In regards to Aiser's first point that you quoted: Link at the TOP OF THE LOW TIER. THIS MEANS LINK IS MISSING PLENTY OF THE QUALITIES THAT MAKE HIGHER RANKED CHARACTERS SO GOOD. If you quite a few places downward you'll see that Young link is where? BELOW LINK. Meaning he is, you may have guessed it, worse than his older counter-part. I had a good laugh when you talked about reasoning, and how bad Aiser's was.

Claiming to be tired is a pathetic John. If you want to say silly things, don't John about them afterward. The only advantage ylink has over link in the sheik match up is that he dies faster off the top, which means Sheik ends his suffering much faster than Link's. Aiser's sig is more of a joke than anything, it's not like he has some blood-thirsty hatred for a video game character. Though I do congradulate you on yet another high-class assumption. Chip, I fail to see how you could have played any good fox players when they all live on the East coast (Read: KDJ, PC. M2K). In regards to the (y)Link vs Falco match up, I don't see how Young Link having a superior (though annoying at best) range game matters in the least vs. Falco. You must think Falco can only laser camp or something. A good Falco player will run you down and murder you, and potentially **** your fragile frame Young Link has very little hope against Falco, he may as well just jump off the stage and down air.

I scroll down to the next section and see an insult. NICE!AN ENTIRE SENTENCE DEVOTED TO INSULTING AISER, EXTRA NICE!. Link vs. Falcon is definitely pretty even. It doesn't matter if Aiser ever plays young Link because him playing Young Link doesn't (DOES NOT) Dictate anything in regards to a match up. Niether does anything you acheive in any random match-up. Chu uses Young Link cause he is a cute little boy who sexes up the older women (Peach). Chu is just reminded of himself. In all honesty, the fact that Chu plays Young Link as a peach counter doesn't make Young Link better. Link does just as well vs. Peach, I like how you just assume Chu thinks Young Link is better -.- . I really like how all the people you named have never placed well in a tournament using strictly Young Link, or beaten any good players.

I like how you totally ignore all my posts, then tell me no one cares about my posts after typing an absurdly long-winded and inane post.The best part is when you tell the "young Link guys" to not listen. "Cover your ears! Don't listen to them!! Like when Sephiroth is telling the truth to Cloud and Tifa begs him not to listen. I can't bear to read any further, because now you've started talking about "Logic" which is just silly.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Ouch. Sorry, Chip, but Aesir has you on a couple points. Your inexperience precedes you. Marth and Falco both annihilate Young Link. Anyone who suggests otherwise really has not played skilled opponents for those respective characters. It is natural to assume that Young Link would have a huge advantage over Marth since Marth has no projectiles. Heck, even I had that belief back in the day. However, when Marth plays aggressively and doesn't give Young Link time to breathe (aka pull out projectiles), there really isn't much Young Link can do. As for Falco, I've really given up on trying to beat him as Young Link. Falco's lasers and mobility make him so deadly that it's ridiculous.
'Nuff said right here.

Though I main Sheik, I thoroughly enjoy playing as Young Link. I can safely say that he's probably third most used character in my line-up. Because of this, he's seen more action than what my Peach or Yoshi could ever see. I've faced Marths, Falcos, and Foxes with my Young Link, either barely coming out on top or losing horribly. I haven't played extremely good Falcos or Foxes with my Young Link yet (I save those bad boys for Sheik), but I've definitely played against a couple of tourney-level Marths. Buzzsaw's comment about the strength of Marth's aggressiveness against Young Link is apt: If Young Link can't get the projectiles out, it's a lost cause. If I may interject, Buzzsaw, there is also one more thing that Marth can do versus Young Link: Marth's neutral A on the ground, if hit consecutively and at the right intervals, can actually deflect some projectiles. Young Link's boomerangs and bombs can be batted away by the sword swipes. The Marth I played against would actually let my Young Link open up with a boomerang so that he could clank it with the sword and provide himself with an opening. Then, it was SHFFled n-airs and an F-smash into oblivion (not a rinse and repeat thing, mind you. I'm not that dumb. Lol).

I can't really say I've faced a **** good Falco or Fox with Young Link. I have a hard enough time beating them with my Sheik or Ice Climbers, so I don't pick Young Link to combat either of them. However, judging from my matches against the Space Animals with Sheik, I can see that it could be a very hard (if not close-to-impossible) fight. Falco is disgusting, in some ways even nastier than Fox. Lasers and manueverability, as Buzzsaw mentioned, give him a keen edge against just about anybody. Poor Young Link just doesn't have enough "oomph" to handle an onslaught of that magnitude (especially if the Falco plays like most pro Falcos. Shiz and Bombsoldier are good examples). Fox---well, don't take me as a whiner but his **** shine would probably lick Young Link's hopes for a viable offense or defense. Couple that with superhuman speed, shake well, and you have a recipe for Young Link's defeat.

This is just my opinion, however. I'm not out to flame anybody for what they believe; this is just based on my experiences with the game.

Smooth Criminal

P.S. By the way, Buzzsaw, I really enjoyed your Kokiri Konqueror guide. It's well-written and provides a very in-depth look at Young Link. I was wondering if you ever got around to finishing the match-ups section...?

Giggidax

Smash Ace
chip ur post owned. likei said aesir wont stop till we say "Link Owns YLINK!"

anyway after reading chips post i see no further point in talking about this argument. Chip has conjured up a logical post that leaves me satisfied. Link is better than Ylink in some ways and Ylink is better than Link in some ways.
I like Ylink better, i perform better with him, therefore i think hes better. im not arguing with anyone else on whos better and watnot. if anyone still wants to complain about something go ahead. i like hearing wats on peoples minds

Brookman

Smash Hero
chip ur post owned. likei said aesir wont stop till we say "Link Owns YLINK!"

anyway after reading chips post i see no further point in talking about this argument. Chip has conjured up a logical post that leaves me satisfied. Link is better than Ylink in some ways and Ylink is better than Link in some ways.
I like Ylink better, i perform better with him, therefore i think hes better. im not arguing with anyone else on whos better and watnot. if anyone still wants to complain about something go ahead. i like hearing wats on peoples minds
Why are you so dense? Aiser is not trying to say that Link i"owns" Young Link, All he is saying is that Link is a better character, in general, WHICH HE IS. Chip sure has conjured (To call upon or command (a devil or spirit) by invocation or spell.) something, but it most certainly was not a logical argument against any point anyone made, just a bunch of ad hominems and baseless assumptions. Link is better than Ylink in some ways and Ylink is better than Link in some ways. That, while true, is absolutely meaningless. Pichu is better in fox in some ways, so I guess that makes pichu and fox even.

The fact that you like young link more, and perform better with him DOES NOT MAKE YOUNG LINK BETTER. IT ONLY MEANS YOU ARE BETTER WITH HIM. What is so hard to understand about this point?

Aesir

Smash Master
Jesus christ, I'm not saying LINK OWNS Y.LINK.

in the actual match up y.link beats link.

I'm saying is LINK HAS BETTER MATCH UPS do I need bigger font or something?

LINK HAS BETTER MATCH UPS

seriously lrn2read plz

his posted didn't own anything it was full of logical fallacies and to be honest it was to long to even give a **** about. it was basically the same thing.

"I'm to deluded to care what you say, and you can't change my mind because what you're saying is to harsh to be true LALALLALALALALALALALALA"
he says he's played good foxs what foxs?

He claims y.link doesn't get ***** by marth and even buzz agrees with me on that marth molests y.links little frame to no end. all marth has to do is space and remain aggressive and y.link just does. Fox? LOL fox is to fast for y.link to even handle. and falco? WOW y.link does at ridiculously low percents you might as well put your controller down. and sheik? just unplug your controller and go to your next match you're not winning it.

before anyone posts again I suggest you read over what brookman has said if you won't listen to me maybe you'll listen to someone whos good and has played some of the best players outside of friendlies.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Aiser doesn't like to repeat himself. As he and I have said countless times now, it's not about young link vs link, it's just who is a better character. If some of you people didn't have such accute spans of attention you may have actually read our posts.

yLink doesn't hold any real power that Link needs when he fights the same characters. I use him only because his hookshot is short enough for him to come up against a wall, Air Dodge backwards, and hookshot.
>_> Link can air dodge away from the wall and use his hookshot safely >_>

Deva

Smash Lord
lol, Aesir never admits when he's wrong and I mean when he's horribly, utterly, and completely wrong. You should see his arguments with Thrilla on the Link threads. After the threads topic clearly stated "recovery after losing your second jump," Aesir argued the point, "why would you need to wiggle and hookshot when you could second jump?":dizzy: No offense Aesir, but you've been arguing some mindless points recently. Not to say everything Chip stated is 100% accurate either. I mean, I use Link so I'm here to support him. However, Some of you are confused about what Chip was pointing out earlier. He didn't really mean Y.Link does well vs. Falco, he meant he does better than Link, which is true. They both are screwed in the match up, it's just that Link will get three or four stocked while Y.Link will get two or three stocked. Like Chip was saying, Y.Link's projectiles have stun and can be pulled out faster. Though it would be hard to pul off, just one bomb is all you need to advance on Falco. As long as you're not playing on FD, Y.Link can use his projectiles to advance on Falco and get a few combos in here and there. Link on the other hand can barely move much less pull out projectiles while being hit by those darn lasers. I'll see if I can find some vids of Chip playing a decent Falco. The Falco isn't pro but he seems good enough to show what Y.Link can do in the match up. As far as Marth, I'd have to say the match up for Link and Y.Link is pretty even. Though Marth will screw Y.Link when he get's close, he has to get close to do so. From the start of the match Y.Link can pull a bomb and stand ready for the assault. If he can hit with at least one projetile, he has the opportunity to combo Marth and he has some decent combos in the match up. Link also follows a similar format. His projectiles don't combo as much, though they rack up some damage as Marth advances. Unlike Y.Link, Link isn't hopeless as Marth closes in. Link's priority and range close up serve him enough to hold his own against Marth. Overall, both match ups are fairly even. As far as Shiek, I'm sorry but Y.Link just flat out does better. He can only be chain grabbed from 40 to 70% and his projectile combos make Shiek a difficult matchup but not a counter as with Link. Most Y.Link Players would agree. Aesir doesn't use Y.Link competetively so I don't see how he came to his conclusion. Overall, both characters lose the matchup, it's just that Y.Link won't lose as bad.

The Tier list exists to show how well most players perform using a certain character at major tourneys, not how well good players do. Just because Y.Link is lower on the Tier list does not mean he is worse as a character. As Buzz said, You don't see good Link Players winning tourneys as big as the ones good Y. Link Players do. For example, good Link Players such as Germ, SS4Ricky, Derilink, and Mr.C, don't win Major Tournaments with their Link while Players such as CHu-dat and Cave man do with their Y.Link. Again, not to say Y.Link is better. They are both low tier for a reason. It's just that the tier list doesn't determine how well that character can be used. Only how well that character has done in general at tournaments. IMO, Link and Y.Link are even. They suck equally as much against their match ups unless you really know how to use them.

Brookman

Smash Hero
K, after seperating the wall I'm not too concerned with anything aside from the tier list comment. The tier list shows how characters perform OVER-ALL at HIGHEST LEVELS OF PLAY. Not between randomlinkfanboy1003 and zeldaloveryounglinkforeva55. When has Chu won a major tournament with his young link? Your idea of what the tier list is totally backwards.

Deva

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, but I did mention AT MAJOR TOURNEYS. How is that not the highest level of play. The Tier List is based on how all Link Players perform who attend major Tourneys. Most are Link fanboys thinking they will do well and get knocked out the first round. Other pro Link players actually advance to a decent level before losing to a pro fox or Shiek. Y. Link isn't as heavily used at tournaments and there are even fewer who do well. however, those few, such as Cave Man, do much better in Major tourneys than pro Link players. Overall, there are more Y.Link players who do poorly at tourneys than those who do well and leave young Link very low on the tier List whereas There are so many Link Fanboys who try to do well that overall, Link seems to be doing better in the major tourney setting. If you look past that, Y.Link has done better since Caveman has won major Tourneys with Y.Link. I don't think a single Link player has ever won a major tourney.

Aesir

Smash Master
lol, Aesir never admits when he's wrong and I mean when he's horribly, utterly, and completely wrong.
Yes I do, you've just never been right.
You should see his arguments with Thrilla on the Link threads. After the threads topic clearly stated "recovery after losing your second jump," Aesir argued the point, "why would you need to wiggle and hookshot when you could second jump?":dizzy: No offense Aesir, but you've been arguing some mindless points recently.
Thats different I misunderstood him LOL, and secondly I was kinda annoyed to begin with that day. so my judgement was clouded. meh.

Not to say everything Chip stated is 100% accurate either. I mean, I use Link so I'm here to support him. However, Some of you are confused about what Chip was pointing out earlier. He didn't really mean Y.Link does well vs. Falco, he meant he does better than Link, which is true.
No it isn't infact its very wrong here I'll explain SIT AROUND THE FIRE KIDS I'M GOING TO EXPLAIN A FEW THINGS.

resons why falco utterly ***** y.link more then link.

1. weight: just because young link is light doesn't mean he's going to be getting out of combos falco can combo every character in the game. just because shine -> dair doesn't work doesn't mean up tilt dair wont. not only that because of his weight he dies sooner then link can which may or may not be a blessing to people who aren't masochists

2. lack of safe combos against falco. there really isn't a whole long young link can do except edge guard which mind hes really good at, but a lot of people never seem to realize this that. Young link needs to get falco off the stage in order for it to work.

3. Better aggressive range game. Falco can literally put young link right where he wants him better then link can. excuse the srk reference but falco can zone y.link so much more then young link can. if you some get out of laser and ****. you'll just get comboed by one of his many aerials.

They both are screwed in the match up, it's just that Link will get three or four stocked while Y.Link will get two or three stocked. Like Chip was saying, Y.Link's projectiles have stun and can be pulled out faster.
yes we know y.link is faster but also dies faster too, lol. and y.link won't get 2-3 stocked he'll get utterly destroyed. its like a really bad bestiality. I can't even watch the screams from young link makes me cringe.

Though it would be hard to pul off, just one bomb is all you need to advance on Falco. As long as you're not playing on FD, Y.Link can use his projectiles to advance on Falco and get a few combos in here and there.
not if the falco is good, ever play a good falco? probably not. don't get me wrong y.link has an amazing projectile game just compared to falco its ****. and a good falco won't laser camp you a good falco will lcancel into shines and perfectly combo you till you're dead. D E A D its just the way the cookie crumbles.

Link on the other hand can barely move much less pull out projectiles while being hit by those darn lasers.
full jump sex kicks. Link has an easier time, but not by much he can atleast get falco off the stage to edge guard him. but falco can just rip through stock like its a birthday present.

I'll see if I can find some vids of Chip playing a decent Falco. The Falco isn't pro but he seems good enough to show what Y.Link can do in the match up.
vids prove nothing. can't believe how many times I've heard some low tier user doing well against a high tier user. Then they say, "HE KNEW WHEN WHAT HE WAS DOING" if falco knew what he was doing, falco should have ***** him. so clearly the falco doesn't know what he's doing.

As far as Marth, I'd have to say the match up for Link and Y.Link is pretty even. Though Marth will screw Y.Link when he get's close, he has to get close to do so.
Link vs marth is even on fd. any other stage is marths advantage.

From the start of the match Y.Link can pull a bomb and stand ready for the assault.
Lol meet my friend the called SPACED AERIALS ya know the one thing marth has that makes it so he can do anything he wants?

If he can hit with at least one projetile, he has the opportunity to combo Marth and he has some decent combos in the match up.
lol if, if I can can grab fox I can end it fast! what ifs are meaningless.

Link also follows a similar format. His projectiles don't combo as much, though they rack up some damage as Marth advances.
link has a better shield game. which can send marth flying enough to set up a rang or two.

Unlike Y.Link, Link isn't hopeless as Marth closes in. Link's priority and range close up serve him enough to hold his own against Marth.[/quote]
If you mean link is close to out ranging marth I'm gonna call bull on that, simply because he really doesn't come anywhere close to it.

Overall, both match ups are fairly even. As far as Shiek, I'm sorry but Y.Link just flat out does better.
I'm sorry no he doesn't. sheik can get very early kills off of young link that link can recovery from.

He can only be chain grabbed from 40 to 70% and his projectile combos make Shiek a difficult matchup but not a counter as with Link.
jabs and needles end any projectile combo, that goes for both links.

Most Y.Link Players would agree. Aesir doesn't use Y.Link competetively so I don't see how he came to his conclusion. Overall, both characters lose the matchup, it's just that Y.Link won't lose as bad.
Because my team partner uses link and he says he'd much rather fight a young link then a link mainly because link has a better chance against shiek. secondly you realize after that 70% you can can uair'd combo'd to death or faired off the stage right? then its just shieks time to keep you of which is does very well at.

The Tier list exists to show how well most players perform using a certain character at major tourneys, not how well good players do. Just because Y.Link is lower on the Tier list does not mean he is worse as a character. As Buzz said, You don't see good Link Players winning tourneys as big as the ones good Y. Link Players do. For example, good Link Players such as Germ, SS4Ricky, Derilink, and Mr.C, don't win Major Tournaments with their Link while Players such as CHu-dat and Cave man do with their Y.Link.
name a major tourney where chu and caveman went all link and won.
Also the tier list shows what characters are winning the most tourneys. Links do better then y.links do.

Again, not to say Y.Link is better. They are both low tier for a reason. It's just that the tier list doesn't determine how well that character can be used. Only how well that character has done in general at tournaments. IMO, Link and Y.Link are even. They suck equally as much against their match ups unless you really know how to use them.
Lol thats all theoretical bull, in theory pichu can be the best character in the game. but realistically its a laughable assumption.

Brookman

Smash Hero
The tier list isn't strictly based on tournament results, which is the main flaw in your point. That and the rest of the sentance: The Tier list exists to show how well most players perform using a certain character at major tourneys, not how well good players do. OOPS. Major tournaments =/= Highest level of play if randomjohner68 plays link beats. suckyscrubfoxplayer109. I've never seen any "Pro" Link mains. A good player can beat a decent player with a lesser character. It's not like the gap between Link and Fox is so monumentous that Link has no chance at all.

It seems that what you're saying is, if more "pro" players used young link he would advance dramatically on the tier list. What pro player has caveman ever beaten with young link? Doesn't he go fox or falco vs. better people? Honestly, Show me the brackets for these major tournaments he's won, and evidence that he used young link strictly. I think your definition of a major tournament is flawed. Also, caveman lost evo south to wobbles. oops.

Deva

Smash Lord
Yes I do, you've just never been right.
If you paid attention you'd see this is our first conversation

Thats different I misunderstood him LOL, and secondly I was kinda annoyed to begin with that day. so my judgement was clouded. meh.
John John John John.......lol it's hilarious watching you lose it like this. Why are you even on the Y.Link boards arguing who sucks more?

No it isn't infact its very wrong here I'll explain SIT AROUND THE FIRE KIDS I'M GOING TO EXPLAIN A FEW THINGS.

resons why falco utterly ***** y.link more then link.

1. weight: just because young link is light doesn't mean he's going to be getting out of combos falco can combo every character in the game. just because shine -> dair doesn't work doesn't mean up tilt dair wont. not only that because of his weight he dies sooner then link can which may or may not be a blessing to people who aren't masochists

2. lack of safe combos against falco. there really isn't a whole long young link can do except edge guard which mind hes really good at, but a lot of people never seem to realize this that. Young link needs to get falco off the stage in order for it to work.

3. Better aggressive range game. Falco can literally put young link right where he wants him better then link can. excuse the srk reference but falco can zone y.link so much more then young link can. if you some get out of laser and ****. you'll just get comboed by one of his many aerials.
Why does it matter. They both get *****. Y.Link can actually get over the lasers easier than Link can. Link's slower jump frames and heavier weight keep him grounded by the lasers. by then Falco can advance and pillar combo Link either for massive damage or into an instant KO. Y.Link can get over the lasers much easier using projectiles and full hop sex kicks to get some damage off to combo into a down smash. It may take the whole battle but even between stocks with invincibility frames Y.Link could pull it off for a kill, maybe two.

yes we know y.link is faster but also dies faster too, lol. and y.link won't get 2-3 stocked he'll get utterly destroyed. its like a really bad bestiality. I can't even watch the screams from young link makes me cringe.
lol nice analogy. Y.Link is lighter, though he doesn't die any faster than Link in this matchup. A dair off the edge from falco detroys them both, except it's easier to close in on Link since he's grounded, pillar combo, and then death. Y.Link at least has a chance throughout the match to take off a stock.

not if the falco is good, ever play a good falco? probably not. don't get me wrong y.link has an amazing projectile game just compared to falco its ****. and a good falco won't laser camp you a good falco will lcancel into shines and perfectly combo you till you're dead. D E A D its just the way the cookie crumbles.
what does me playing a good falco have to do with this. I've played some decent ones, the SHL is annoying and the pillar is a real pain. BTW nice job conradicting yourself. You say Falco's spamming game is better, then you say a good Falco won't use it against Y.Link. That gives Y.Link the opportunity to get in those few combos and maybe score a kill.

full jump sex kicks. Link has an easier time, but not by much he can atleast get falco off the stage to edge guard him. but falco can just rip through stock like its a birthday present.
:laugh: you just love setting yourself up for these don't you. Here I'll use your reasoning. One of Link's few moves to get Falco off the edge to edge guard him is his full hop sex kick. Link has an easier time doing that than Y.Link. Oh....Wait....Y. Link has faster jump frames and overall a better jump than Link. Guess that means Y.Link has the easier time. Don't think I'm trying to say that's the only move. I'm just using your reasoning since you like to contradict yourself.

vids prove nothing. can't believe how many times I've heard some low tier user doing well against a high tier user. Then they say, "HE KNEW WHEN WHAT HE WAS DOING" if falco knew what he was doing, falco should have ***** him. so clearly the falco doesn't know what he's doing.
Oh yes you have a point. Then again, any Falco who knows how to blaster spam and pillar combo knows how to be an annoying little bird. Whether or not the Falco is pro, a young Link that knows how to get through that crap must have some skill.

Link vs marth is even on fd. any other stage is marths advantage.
Okay, but based on that, PS is pretty even too. Also, not using your broken reasoning, U-airs from Link on any other level **** Marth if he trys to use the platforms just as Marth's Fairs **** Link if he's up on the platforms. Link goes even with Marth on most stages. All good Link users agree. Even ask NJ'sFinest.

Lol meet my friend the called SPACED AERIALS ya know the one thing marth has that makes it so he can do anything he wants?
Meet my friends called BOMBS, RANGS, UAIR, D-SMASH. lol, yes Marth can weapon cancel rangs but bombs are a bit of trouble for him. You make it seem as if LInk/Y.Link have no chance.

lol if, if I can can grab fox I can end it fast! what ifs are meaningless.
Pathetic. you're actually resorting to that? Everything in the game is based on what ifs. That's what makes it an in depth fighting game. "OMG what if Marth's fairs hit young Link since Marth can do anything with his spacing and then young Link can't pull projectiles and what if Marth gets him off the edge and he dies"...........Please.

link has a better shield game. which can send marth flying enough to set up a rang or two.
lol better? Not much. If you're referring to his hookshot then Y.Link's suffices in most situations even against F-smash in some cases. Link's Shield really isn't that much better than Y.Link's. Please explain. Their Shield game seems pretty similar.

If you mean link is close to out ranging marth I'm gonna call bull on that, simply because he really doesn't come anywhere close to it.
It's alright, I don't. You know, spacing? Like jabs if Marth is close up since it's faster than alot of Marth's moves at a fair distance save d-tilt. Perhaps a hookshot here and there or a u-air. Link doesn't outrange Marth, he has different techniques of Spacing that arent as effective with Y.Link

I'm sorry no he doesn't. sheik can get very early kills off of young link that link can recovery from.
Oh true very true, good luck getting those kills with projectiles that stun and set you up for combos or a killing dair. Obviously Shiek can get those kills fairly often or Y.Link wouldn't have trouble against her. However, Y.Link's projectiles hold Shiek down for enough combos to get a few kills. A few more than Link.

jabs and needles end any projectile combo, that goes for both links.
Only if the Link or Y.Link has no clue about projectile spacing or timing and just randomly throws them out hoping they'll hit.

Because my team partner uses link and he says he'd much rather fight a young link then a link mainly because link has a better chance against shiek. secondly you realize after that 70% you can can uair'd combo'd to death or faired off the stage right? then its just shieks time to keep you of which is does very well at.
has you're friend played any good Y.Links? didn't think so. Also, proper DI can help in this situation. Set it up so the shiek is forced to fair you the other way or u- air you since it won't kill you at that percent. Yes, Shiek will get it off eventually, why else would she be considered a difficult matchup for Y.Link. Also, many experienced Y.Link players agree Shiek is a difficult matchup for Y.Link not a counter as with Link.

name a major tourney where chu and caveman went all link and won.
Ask Buzz, I think he knows better than I do which Y.Link players have won which Major tourneys.

Also the tier list shows what characters are winning the most tourneys. Links do better then y.links do.
lol that's because there are so many Link fanboys who try to get good with Link and get further in Tourneys than the few Y.Link fanboys. If you look at the pro level Pro Y.Link's do better than pro Links.

Lol thats all theoretical bull, in theory pichu can be the best character in the game. but realistically its a laughable assumption.
Actually it's basically proven unless you would like to contradict yourself again and say Link and Y.Link are good characters. My post said they suck unless you know how to use them. Same goes for any low tier character. Look at Azen's Pichu.

Why are you even here arguing about this. You know Link and Y.Link suck. What prompted you to start arguing about who sucks more....it's pathetic.

To Brookman, I'm sorry, I forgot to put in That it isn't based only on how Pros do but how well sucky Link Fan boys do against pros...which is bad. Not how well some random Link player does against some random Fox. Ask Buzz about who did better with Y.LInk at a Major Tourney than Link. I can't remember exactly what tourney and who it was who used Y.Link. However, Buzz posted that Pro Y.Link's have won bigger tourneys than pro Links so I'm sure he knows better than I do.

Aesir

Smash Master
If you paid attention you'd see this is our first conversation
actually it isn't well I dunno it might be. Didn't you make a thread way back when saying link should be top tier? frankly I don't remember. x_x

John John John John.......lol it's hilarious watching you lose it like this. Why are you even on the Y.Link boards arguing who sucks more?
I'm not saying I'm not responsible, I'm saying thats why I flew off the handle. if you go back to that thread which I kinda thank you for reminding me about it, I took responsibility.

>_> because y.link sucks more in match ups then link does.

Why does it matter. They both get *****. Y.Link can actually get over the lasers easier than Link can. Link's slower jump frames and heavier weight keep him grounded by the lasers. by then Falco can advance and pillar combo Link either for massive damage or into an instant KO. Y.Link can get over the lasers much easier using projectiles and full hop sex kicks to get some damage off to combo into a down smash. It may take the whole battle but even between stocks with invincibility frames Y.Link could pull it off for a kill, maybe two.
Again what crappy falcos are falling for this?
Lemme put it to you like this.

Heres falco hes the choo choo train of doom and y.link is a penny what happens when a train runs over a penny? THE ***** GETS FLATTENED bingo

lol nice analogy. Y.Link is lighter, though he doesn't die any faster than Link in this matchup. A dair off the edge from falco detroys them both, except it's easier to close in on Link since he's grounded, pillar combo, and then death. Y.Link at least has a chance throughout the match to take off a stock.
Wrong. He dies a lot faster in this match up, do you have any idea what weight means in this game?

secondly unless that falco is wasting his double jump he'll make it back unless its really far away from the stage. then in either case the falcos stupid.

what does me playing a good falco have to do with this. I've played some decent ones, the SHL is annoying and the pillar is a real pain. BTW nice job conradicting yourself. You say Falco's spamming game is better, then you say a good Falco won't use it against Y.Link. That gives Y.Link the opportunity to get in those few combos and maybe score a kill.
uhh wow no. I said good falcos wont laser camp you I never said they won't spam. Nice job.

and it doesn't give y.link the advantage he needs. no way does it at all. just because a falco is sitting there pressing y and b doesn't mean y.link has a chance falcos are nasty when they're up close especially when they l cancel properly because then you have little room to respond.

:laugh: you just love setting yourself up for these don't you. Here I'll use your reasoning. One of Link's few moves to get Falco off the edge to edge guard him is his full hop sex kick. Link has an easier time doing that than Y.Link. Oh....Wait....Y. Link has faster jump frames and overall a better jump than Link. Guess that means Y.Link has the easier time. Don't think I'm trying to say that's the only move. I'm just using your reasoning since you like to contradict yourself.
you know if you stopped trying to find contradictions that aren't there you might actually be good at debating.

first off I'll give you that, y.link probably would have a better chance getting him off with faster jump frames. but link can still get through a shl approach with a full jump even with his slow jump. Also if you wanna talk about a move that can get falco off its probably links fair around 80ish I think his fair sends fast fallers off the stage pretty quick for some strange reason.

Oh yes you have a point. Then again, any Falco who knows how to blaster spam and pillar combo knows how to be an annoying little bird. Whether or not the Falco is pro, a young Link that knows how to get through that crap must have some skill.
falco doesn't even need to be pro, he just needs to know how to get damage fast and to edge guard.

Okay, but based on that, PS is pretty even too. Also, not using your broken reasoning, U-airs from Link on any other level **** Marth if he trys to use the platforms just as Marth's Fairs **** Link if he's up on the platforms. Link goes even with Marth on most stages. All good Link users agree. Even ask NJ'sFinest.
See I I normally get really gay'd out by random, usually I'm playing a marth either on marth story or fountain of sheik. PS has its moments against marth, just as long as you don't get trapped in marth territory (its the rock stage on the left side, marth can just up b and dair as long as he wants. you have to be stupid or just over aggressive to get caught in that but its a pain.)

Meet my friends called BOMBS, RANGS, UAIR, D-SMASH. lol, yes Marth can weapon cancel rangs but bombs are a bit of trouble for him. You make it seem as if LInk/Y.Link have no chance.
I'm just really blunt. Y.links range is aweful. marth just has to space and he wont be getting hit by bombs really. though if a y.link bomb does hit its pretty ow. >_> I know this from experience remember who I main now.

Pathetic. you're actually resorting to that? Everything in the game is based on what ifs. That's what makes it an in depth fighting game. "OMG what if Marth's fairs hit young Link since Marth can do anything with his spacing and then young Link can't pull projectiles and what if Marth gets him off the edge and he dies"...........Please.
the game is not based off what ifs. you have to be realistic, thats my reasoning.

lol better? Not much. If you're referring to his hookshot then Y.Link's suffices in most situations even against F-smash in some cases. Link's Shield really isn't that much better than Y.Link's. Please explain. Their Shield game seems pretty similar.
its actually not, you're a link player you should know how wonderful up b out of shield is, or any aerial well excpet like dair and a few others cause thats kinda ******** dair out of shield lol.

It's alright, I don't. You know, spacing? Like jabs if Marth is close up since it's faster than alot of Marth's moves at a fair distance save d-tilt. Perhaps a hookshot here and there or a u-air. Link doesn't outrange Marth, he has different techniques of Spacing that arent as effective with Y.Link
okay am I suppose to argue this cause I can't seem to find a way to argue it. <_<

Oh true very true, good luck getting those kills with projectiles that stun and set you up for combos or a killing dair. Obviously Shiek can get those kills fairly often or Y.Link wouldn't have trouble against her. However, Y.Link's projectiles hold Shiek down for enough combos to get a few kills. A few more than Link.
No any good sheik will just space your projectiles away, its kinda sad how easy it is. sheik has to kill link at higher percents in order to get a kill where as with y.link sheik can be lazy and get early kills.

Only if the Link or Y.Link has no clue about projectile spacing or timing and just randomly throws them out hoping they'll hit.
Nah even then you might start some damage but it won't last long. needles go through everything. jabs do too. one grab pretty much ends all hope too.

has you're friend played any good Y.Links? didn't think so. Also, proper DI can help in this situation. Set it up so the shiek is forced to fair you the other way or u- air you since it won't kill you at that percent. Yes, Shiek will get it off eventually, why else would she be considered a difficult matchup for Y.Link. Also, many experienced Y.Link players agree Shiek is a difficult matchup for Y.Link not a counter as with Link.
I don't lol, I don't watch all his match ups if he's playing some type of link I'd rather not watch its mean.

I just know he'd rather play against a young link then a link cause he says early kills happen a lot even with proper DI sheiks fair has a stupid hit box. even if you DI it you'll be off the stage and ope perfectly spaced bair in the face sends you to your death.

Ask Buzz, I think he knows better than I do which Y.Link players have won which Major tourneys.
we already did, hes shown nothing.

lol that's because there are so many Link fanboys who try to get good with Link and get further in Tourneys than the few Y.Link fanboys. If you look at the pro level Pro Y.Link's do better than pro Links.
Evidence?

Actually it's basically proven unless you would like to contradict yourself again and say Link and Y.Link are good characters. My post said they suck unless you know how to use them. Same goes for any low tier character. Look at Azen's Pichu.
I've yet to contradict myself

also its a generaly rule of thumb to not use azen in low tier discussions.

Why are you even here arguing about this. You know Link and Y.Link suck. What prompted you to start arguing about who sucks more....it's pathetic.
I'm stubborn and opinionated thats why =(

shminkledorf

Smash Ace
Brookman, I thought caveman went marth against good people. Did he change?
Lol I tried having a conversation on AIM with jash and he blocked me after linking vids of taj vs forward

St. Viers

Smash Champion
very interesting reading :D

couple of points...
1.If the tier lists are based on how well characters do in (major?) tournies, than isn't it to some extent how well certain players of a character do against other players of certain character? As seeing as the point that It isn't that some linkfanboy001 can beat zeldaloveryounglink003 that matters, it is that Link is better than Y.Link [<paraphrase] Instead it is that Ken is better with Marth than KoreanDJ is with Fox, or something. Although the better players get, the more it is the flaws of the character that cause losses, it is still to some extent the players themself.

2. f you are going to argue, please back your arguments up, and listen to what your opponents are saying. And try to respond in a way that makes the argument progress: simply allowing for x,y,x,y,x,y leads to frustration by both sides at the "stupidity" of the other. Instead try and make the reader of your post actually think. After stating you facts, try asking questions, to make them break out of their repetitive posting. This is a far better way to prove which debater is better: be like Socrates and trip the person you are arguing with up, don't just bash your heads into a wall without getting anywhere.

3.There is a difference between johning and explaining yourself. If someone posted when they were tired, and then realized/it was pointed out to them that there was stupid mistakes in their posts, then it is reasonable to to say: "oh I was tired, sorry." Johning would be saying "oh, I was tired" if he had responded immediately to your posts, and continued to argue his point, and then when he realized he was wrong said he was tired. He behaved very well, in the situation: he didn't reply right away, instead realizing he wasn't up to arguing at the time, and waiting until he was more able to think clearly.

4. This thread realy makes me want to become obsessed with Smash to the point that I can win tournies with Doctor Mario, just to prove that is is really how much effort people put into mastering a character. What some people don't seem to realize is that people who become "pro" in smash put a lot of time into it. The reason they are so good with Fox, or Marth, or Sheik is partially because of the advantages the characters have in terms of speed, strength or whatnot, but it is also because of the time they spent playing the game. They've played enough to know exactly how they can get the character to what they need it to, and they have played enough to know what their opponents character can do.

Brookman

Smash Hero
drag him out your window
draggin' out the dead
singin' i miss you
snakes and ladders
lift the lid
out pops the cracker
smacks you in the head
knifes you in the neck
kicks you in the teeth
steel toe caps
takes all your credit cards
get up get the guns
get the eggs
get the flan in the face
the flan in the face
the flan in the face
dance you ****er
dance you ****er
don't you dare
don't you dare
don't you flan in the face
take it where the love is given
take it with a pinch of salt
take it to the taxman
let me back
let me back
I promise to be good
don't look in the mirror
at the face you don't recognize
help me call the doctor
put me inside
put me inside
put me inside
put me inside
put me inside

I dare anyone to try and dispute that.

Deva

Smash Lord
actually it isn't well I dunno it might be. Didn't you make a thread way back when saying link should be top tier? frankly I don't remember. x_x

Oh...No, You're thinking of Savageblueboy, or was it Smashfan34...actually I can't remember either lol. It's a common mistake. We all had the same avatar so I can see where the confusion would arise. It seems Link fanboys have that Avatar in general, sadly that makes me look bad.

I'm not saying I'm not responsible, I'm saying thats why I flew off the handle. if you go back to that thread which I kinda thank you for reminding me about it, I took responsibility.

>_> because y.link sucks more in match ups then link does.
A john's a john. No biggie though, you were just tring to explain yourself.

Oh, I'm sorry I didn't check that thread again. I'm impessed with you Aesir. It takes a lot of guts for someone with your level of Pride to admit they're wrong. Nice job.

Only based on the Tier list. I don't feel like explaining the flaws with that again, hopefully you remember.

Again what crappy falcos are falling for this?
Lemme put it to you like this.

Heres falco hes the choo choo train of doom and y.link is a penny what happens when a train runs over a penny? THE ***** GETS FLATTENED bingo
Actually many pro Falcos do. Watch any vid of a pro Falco vs a Pro Link or Y.Link. They jump over the spamming and use projectiles and sex kicks to get off the few stocks they do. some even win the match. You said yourself full hop sex kick works as a mean of approach against Falco, but you're not contradicting yourself, right? lol.

Wrong. He dies a lot faster in this match up, do you have any idea what weight means in this game?
OK, for your amusement, Weight is how heavy a character is. It determines how difficult it is to knock the opponent off the edge and, in most cases, the character's jump frames. The heavier the character, the slower the jump frames. Though Y.Link is lighter, it really doesn't make much of a difference in this match up since Falco's main attempted killing move is his dair off the edge. Though Y.Link will be sent further sooner, Link only needs to be just off the edge for the spike to work. Don't get me wrong, Falco has other killing moves. I'm just referring to the most attempted. Yes, his d.smash kills Y.Link quicker, I'm just saying overall it doesn't take much more to kill Link.

secondly unless that falco is wasting his double jump he'll make it back unless its really far away from the stage. then in either case the falcos stupid.
Wait, what?.....What are you talking about? What does that have to do with anything? I never said he wouldn't lol. Please read what I said before you post.

uhh wow no. I said good falcos wont laser camp you I never said they won't spam. Nice job.

and it doesn't give y.link the advantage he needs. no way does it at all. just because a falco is sitting there pressing y and b doesn't mean y.link has a chance falcos are nasty when they're up close especially when they l cancel properly because then you have little room to respond.

Oh, my bad. I assumed you meant laser camping as an overall method of camping and approaching. My apologies.

I never said Y.Link has the advantage he needs in this match up. I,m just saying jumping over the spamming and spamming back along with sex kicks can get a kill maybe two throughout the match. Hmm....sex Kicks.....Contradictions?

you know if you stopped trying to find contradictions that aren't there you might actually be good at debating.
Oh my apologies good sir. You haven't been contradicting yourself at all. Full hop nair is useless against the bird. It's not like you said it worked as a method of approach. lol

first off I'll give you that, y.link probably would have a better chance getting him off with faster jump frames. but link can still get through a shl approach with a full jump even with his slow jump. Also if you wanna talk about a move that can get falco off its probably links fair around 80ish I think his fair sends fast fallers off the stage pretty quick for some strange reason.
I thought you said Link had a better chance.....contradiction?...<_< >_> <_< >_>....OK I'll stop.

You're right. Link's fair can get the bird off at 80%. You know what can get him off at even lower percents? Y.Link's D-smash.

falco doesn't even need to be pro, he just needs to know how to get damage fast and to edge guard.
That was kinda my point. The falco in the vid can SHL and pillar so just what you're looking for for the most part right?

See I I normally get really gay'd out by random, usually I'm playing a marth either on marth story or fountain of sheik. PS has its moments against marth, just as long as you don't get trapped in marth territory (its the rock stage on the left side, marth can just up b and dair as long as he wants. you have to be stupid or just over aggressive to get caught in that but its a pain.)
Yeah, tell me about it. Bad memories lol.

I'm just really blunt. Y.links range is aweful. marth just has to space and he wont be getting hit by bombs really. though if a y.link bomb does hit its pretty ow. >_> I know this from experience remember who I main now.
Alright I see your point. I still think the match up is even for both but I understand where you're coming from.

the game is not based off what ifs. you have to be realistic, thats my reasoning.

Umm....yeah, the game is heavily based off of what ifs, you know mind games. That is the reality. At the competetive level of play. You must constantly be thinking "what if I do such and such move, what counter will they have availabe." If they're approaching "what if they use such and such move. what counter would be the safest and most effective in this situation." Like you said, you have to be realistic.

its actually not, you're a link player you should know how wonderful up b out of shield is, or any aerial well excpet like dair and a few others cause thats kinda ******** dair out of shield lol.
Sorry, but I've grown out of using up b out of shield. It makes me laugh to see noobs use it every time their shield is struck. Don't get me wrong, I still use it if the opportunity allows or if I'm just bored and don't feel like paying hard cuz I know I'll win, however it doesn't help link's shield game much at the competetive level. If you want to refer to arials, let's look at the jump frames again. Y.Link's, faster. He has a better chance of hitting with arials out of the shield than Link. Link's only advantage is a longer hook shot.

okay am I suppose to argue this cause I can't seem to find a way to argue it. <_<
Okay then don't. Pretty simple

No any good sheik will just space your projectiles away, its kinda sad how easy it is. sheik has to kill link at higher percents in order to get a kill where as with y.link sheik can be lazy and get early kills.
Try spacing those nasty little bombs he has. One hit and your set up for a series of combos. Obviously Shiek has a huge advantage cuz she can space the bombs really well. However, it only takes a few bombs throughout the match and from there edge guarding Shiek is cake to get a kill or two. Link on the other hand.....I'd rather not go into detail. All I can say is you need some crazy mindgames or you're screwed.

Nah even then you might start some damage but it won't last long. needles go through everything. jabs do too. one grab pretty much ends all hope too.
Bombs. That's all I can say. Try swatting that little stun bug and you're all set to be comboed. As far as needles, exactly what I was saying earlier if The Y.Link is throwing bombs randomly, needles will deflect them. If the Y.Link throws it at her head, needles don't do much.

I don't lol, I don't watch all his match ups if he's playing some type of link I'd rather not watch its mean.
lol, good point. You should ask im if he's played any good Y.Link's. And basically by that I mean pro Y.Links. There are very few Y.Link's who are good who aren't pro.

I just know he'd rather play against a young link then a link cause he says early kills happen a lot even with proper DI sheiks fair has a stupid hit box. even if you DI it you'll be off the stage and ope perfectly spaced bair in the face sends you to your death.
Again, ask him if you get a chance.

we already did, hes shown nothing.
Keep at it. He should have something. Buzz isn't known for random posts with no backup.

Evidence?
Again, I don't remember where I saw it. Keep checking with Buzz.

I've yet to contradict myself

also its a generaly rule of thumb to not use azen in low tier discussions.
"Cough" Full hop sex Kicks, "Cough" Falco only needs to know how to damage fast/ edge guard, "Cough" "Cough" I get bad stage match ups, that's why I think Link only goes even on FD, "Cough" Y.Link has faster arials out of shield yet Link's up b gives him a better shield game, "Cough" jabs go through bombs, "Cough" Ahem....Sorry my throat is really sore.....Oh yeah you haven't been contradicting yourself.

OK, Captain Jack?

I'm stubborn and opinionated thats why =(
Darn it why didn't you say that earlier. I wouldn't have bothered arguing this poinltess topic of who sucks more. Oh well GG. It may be better to finish this discussion in a PM since this is going nowhere.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Given the length of Deva and Aiser's previous posts I propose that we stop responding by breaking up every bit of each other's posts. Deva, I ask that you present your point of view, because I'm not really sure what it is, aside from wanting to argue with Aiser. And everyone needs to stop babbling and be more concise, for the love of sanity.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
^agreed, try to only quote things if you need to back up a point. Just use @Aesir, and then that will clue people in to read his posts if they don't remember what you are talking about. While sentence by sentence breakdowns what what people say look cool, they are very ineffective ways to argue.

Brookman

Smash Hero
^aWhile sentence by sentence breakdowns what what people say look cool, they are very ineffective ways to argue.
It's a perfect way to argue because it allows you to move point by point and respond accordingly, it's just ****ing obnoxious to see a post that takes up a whole screen because you have 3 posts broken up in it.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
okay, it is a great way to argue, but a horrible way to get anywhere, because what results in posts and posts about those points in specific, being fought over by 2 people. Meanwhile the argument doesn't move forward at all.

It puts the focus on these specific statements, and your response to them, rather than the thing you originally were arguing about.

Brookman

Smash Hero
okay, it is a great way to argue, but a horrible way to get anywhere,
HUH?! Contradictory statements are too goods. What I'm doing right now is allowing me to break down your statements and address them independantly of each other.

because what results in posts and posts about those points in specific, being fought over by 2 people. Meanwhile the argument doesn't move forward at all.
HUH!? First off, What results in posts and posts addressing your opponents argument point by point with your own counter-points (which are sometimes flames instead) rather than responding in a standard format.

It puts the focus on these specific statements, and your response to them, rather than the thing you originally were arguing about.
HUH?! It puts focus on a persons individual points rather than their side of the argument as a whole, and your individual responses to each point, rather than your point of view as a whole. If a debate doesn't progress it's because of the two sides refusing to think about what the opposing side is saying, not the method they use.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
First off, I don't contradict myself, after I realized I chose improper wording, I changed what I said...to me arguing is the problem, and abusing the quote feature furthers this problem. I was agreeing with you.

Point by point nit-picking is what leads to this arguing over flaws in individual posting: I meant "what results IS...".
I think you somewhat agree with me here, as you say:
"responding with your own counter-points (which are sometimes flames instead) rather than responding in a standard format." You seem to acknowledge that point by point quoting can lead to useless replies. I could me misinterpreting you here, though.

Do you consider quoting the entire thread and breaking it up into little chunks "standard format"? just wondering, because to me, I look at their major points, and structure a counterargument, and then use quotes to support myself. To me basing you reply entirely off their quotes is backwards, because it shows you didn't read their post and actually think about it.

While this format can be used to talk about their points, it is also used to point out irrelevant things that they said, which is then defended by the original poster, and leads to further argument.

While I agree that a main problem with arguments like this is the unwillingness of both sides to think, I also believe that excessive quoting of someone's post further detracts from the usefulness of the argument. Of course using it to bring up relevant points, or using it show the persons opinion on the subject at hand is useful, using it to talk about everything in the person's post isn't.

Just to sum up, I'm not saying the quote feature is evil, or wrecks debates. I'm saying that using it too much (i.e., replying to everything they write, and stalling the argument while they fight out little meaningless fights) isn't as useful in getting the debate moving and actually being productive.

I hope I'm being clear now :)

Brookman

Smash Hero
I know you were agreein with me, I just decided to disagree with both of us for fun.Arguing isn't the problem it's just the close-minded people who make it a pain in the arse.

What I meant by "responding with your own counter-points (which are sometimes flames instead) rather than responding in a standard format." was that people think they can get their point accross by pointing out how "stupid" someone is, or something to that degree. Again, it's not the point by point responses that lead to useless posts, it's just the people that don't know how to work their brains properly (as arrogant or stuck-up as that may sound, I don't really care.).

My definition of "standard format" a paragraphical response. Not just giant walls of text or incoherent sentences, but actual thoughts grouped into a paragraph, like most people learn to do in school. I don't see using the quotes as less effective, or worse by any means. I do think it's more efficient though. Instead of reading the whole post and then going back and responding to it you can just quote it and attack each point as come upon it, which I find easier because usually my first reactions/thoughts are best, and my brain can't keep track of them all as more come in, so I need to write everything down as it pops into my head0.

"While I agree that a main problem with arguments like this is the unwillingness of both sides to think, I also believe that excessive quoting of someone's post further detracts from the usefulness of the argument. Of course using it to bring up relevant points, or using it show the persons opinion on the subject at hand is useful, using it to talk about everything in the person's post isn't." MAYBE

You were always clear, I was just having some funs.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
OMG... Enough of these point-by-point debates. I think I've been around long enough to witness at least four generations of Link vs Young Link debates all with new debaters on both sides. The result is always the same.

Link has better overall matchups than Young Link (hence his position in the tier list). However, the part that trips most people up is that Young Link does have some matchups that are better than Link. People misinterpret this aspect to mean that Young Link should be higher in the tier list.

Smooth Criminal, I posted an update to my guide very recently. I am working on the character matchups as best I can. It'll be finished soon (regardless that Brawl is at our doorsteps). >_>

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Brookman: you are too like me, but I'm too new here to just decide to argue for the fun of it...reading back through the thread it looks like you said lots of $#!+ just mess around.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
drag him out your window
draggin' out the dead
singin' i miss you
snakes and ladders
lift the lid
out pops the cracker
smacks you in the head
knifes you in the neck
kicks you in the teeth
steel toe caps
takes all your credit cards
get up get the guns
get the eggs
get the flan in the face
the flan in the face
the flan in the face
dance you ****er
dance you ****er
don't you dare
don't you dare
don't you flan in the face
take it where the love is given
take it with a pinch of salt
take it to the taxman
let me back
let me back
I promise to be good
don't look in the mirror
at the face you don't recognize
help me call the doctor
put me inside
put me inside
put me inside
put me inside
put me inside

I dare anyone to try and dispute that.
100% agree

I'm not going to continue on with Link and y Link because the hate seems to have stopped.

Top Bottom