• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why choose Y. Link over Link?

Chip.

you know what to do
Link DOES have an infinte recovery at ANY time using bomb jumps. if bomb jumping correctly you can effectively double your recovery range with only one bomb jump. A good link player always has a bomb out for this reason and for others. You obviously havent seen good Link players who can bomb jump and use it correctly, because it is very useful.
lol, now this is dumb. How can you expect me to be posting here if I haven't seen almost all of the good Link players and their vids? Aniki, GERM, SS4ricky, Smasher, Azen, and other good Link players are just a few to mention ^_^.

Now, Link CAN Bomb Jump at any percent but to get adequete distance with it you'd have to be at high %. It's not that useful. Like I said before, this "infinite recovery" isn't a godly technique that will raise Link's recovery potential off the charts.

I don't want any hard feelings Ryan, just stating the difference between fact an' opinion.

Ryaneatworld

Smash Apprentice
well, it does help at any percent, but is hard to pull off. Its useful, and it is a great advantage over Young Link. :D But they are both good I guess.

Chip.

you know what to do
Well this is just a matter of opinion to say that it's "useful" and is a "great advantage" and such. When I first heard of the bomb jump I too was like "ZOMG, that is the greatest thing EVER!" but one learns from experience that after you get it down pretty well a technique like this isn't used to full extents as you might imagine because, quite frankly, it just can't :D. It's a neat trick to pull off nonetheless, but useful? Hardly. In time, you'll realize that the bomb jump will lose it's glow and not shine as much as it used to. It's about as useful as Young Link's Fire Spike and it's own effectiveness in battle, how often you use it, and such.

I can keep repeating it but it seems your still confused. The bomb jump is only an infinite recovery when your at 300-400%(tentatively) and is NOT an infinite recov at lower percents. Because after you initiate your first bomb hit, the time it takes for you to take another bomb out your already too low to throw it up->spin->hit because your first hit didn't hit you high enough the first time. Get it? All I'm saying is that while ,yes you can do it at any percent, it's just really not all that useful as if you were at high percents. it really isn't useful at lower percents and in SOME cases can be useful at high percents Imo. The bomb stun that hits Link just PERFECTLY sets him up to be severely punished by his foe whom is edgegaurding the stage. All their is to say, is that there's more work put into it than what you get. The bomb jump really isn't all it's cracked up to be. does this make any sense, because it seems that you just keep repeating your same statements before addressing my questions. Wheather you agree with me or not, The bomb jump isn't a huge advantage but a small one, and I strongly feel that in due time you'll prolly change your opinion.

Give it time child, you will learn slowly but surely...

Ryaneatworld

Smash Apprentice
So yeah, I play Link a lot and believe me if I had bomb jumping down it would save me loads of times. It is not an opinion to whether or not it is useful, anything that adds to your recovery is useful.

Chip.

you know what to do
So yeah, I play Link a lot and believe me if I had bomb jumping down it would save me loads of times. It is not an opinion to whether or not it is useful, anything that adds to your recovery is useful.
Son, not all that much in this case. Even people who have mastered it don't find it useful, like me for example :p. Don't believe? I can show you when I upload some Link dittos with my brother whom has also mastered it..... and agrees with me 100% :chuckle:

Ryan, you started this thread asking "Why would you choose Young Link over Link?" and I have gave you answers to that. Link players, on the other hand, don't choose Link because he can bomb jump, but for other reasons like better FFing or longer durability and their are reasons to choose Young Link like too like better projectile and combo game. But, if the bomb jump was as good as you say it is, then why on earth would there be Young Link players in the world if Link had this such a good recovery?! Young Link players don't envy not having a good bomb jump, it doesn't boost Link's recovery far beyond Young Link's. What DOES though is Link's hookshot or Young Link has a FAR better Spin recovery than Link's. Link players will ATTEMPT to use the bomb jump when they can tell that they're inches away from death, when off the edge, and know nothing will get them back and then hoplessly will perform the bomb jump, but you'll almost never make it back wheather you weren't close enough, didn't have enough %, or just got hit by a Sheik fair when coming back :p.

In any case Young Link does have his own form of the bomb jump just to let you know lol ^_^. Double jump when off the edge and AT the climax of YOUR double jump drop your bomb (press Z) and then instantly nair afterwards and you'll explode yourself (like Link's) and you can then spin recover.

OR, you have to hold onto the bomb and WAIT until the bomb starts to turn RED and as soon as it does then throw it up and Spin attack into it and it will appear as if you just performed one of Link's genuine bomb jumps :D.

Both these forms are still unorthadox, which is why most Young Link players don't use it.

Humor me then. Name a few reasons.
Not a few, but many lol. Young Link is a fast charachter who can maneuver around the battle stage at a fast rate. Peach, on the other hand isn't quite as fast (even wit Auto-float cancelling) due to this misadvantage, it'll lead to her downfall because she doesn't do well against a fast charachter whom HAS many, many projectiles. Young Link WILL and CAN spam the living, freakin' crap out of her and there is just really tough things Peach has to do to get out of it. Peaches turnips are a joke compared to Young Link's magnificent bomb, boomerang, and bow (not so much the bow :p) and she can only hold him off so long that she'll fall under a series of combo-projectile blows. Young Link can get an easy 50% combo off of her with a bomb->point blank boomerang->nair-> nair->D-smash. Also, he has a great combo starter of d-throw-> utilt-> utilt-> uair-> uair. Oo it gets worse too, Young Link's Bomb Plant finishing combo can kill Peach at 90% at most levels (even Dream Land) and 75% at Yoshi Story. Basically, in this fight, whenever Peach gets close Young Link will spam and run his *** away from you. If she gets too very close, however, Young Link will combo the hell out've her with physical attacks and can kill at very small percents.

There are more reasons but these are the major ones. Don't worry though, there are ways to defend against him but that's not my problem go discuss that on the Peach boards most of them have the same problem XD

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Chip pretty much named off the big reasons for Young Link countering Peach. Whenever my opponent picks Peach, I stop worrying and start killing.

As for all those who seem to think Link has a godly recovery, you fail to account for the fact that Young Link can throw projectiles out there and ruin Link's amazing infinite recovery. While Link is doing all this, Young Link can come in with a down-air or sometimes a neutral-air. A little edge-hogging ruins the day as well. :)

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
well, i certainly think that, luigi its better than young link by faster recovery, easier and better WD and fire bow, isnt to much diference but still, maybe it is too becaise its litlle, harder to hit. But the Link`s up B is soooooo nice, that i dont know whos better, lol XD

Giggidax

Smash Ace
lol!!! link's so called infinite bomb jump recovery is so overrated. i will give anyone 10 dollars to perform the recovery before i nair u in the face, or bow>dair, or boomerang u out of it in a real match.
sheesh, a few people see Linkology and then think that the bomb jump recovery is a foolproof method of making it back to the stage.
altho i have used this method before, its not worth all the hassle. and it is EASILY edgeguarded.
it seems i have jus repeated everything buzz and chip has said.. lawl!

Chip.

you know what to do
lol!!! link's so called infinite bomb jump recovery is so overrated. i will give anyone 10 dollars to perform the recovery before i nair u in the face, or bow>dair, or boomerang u out of it in a real match.
sheesh, a few people see Linkology and then think that the bomb jump recovery is a foolproof method of making it back to the stage.
altho i have used this method before, its not worth all the hassle. and it is EASILY edgeguarded.
it seems i have jus repeated everything buzz and chip has said.. lawl!
Not at all ^_^ your giving some positive feedback to what Buzz and I said so thanks ^_^. We're just helping the people out who don't really know what they're talking about... >_> not pointing any fingers of course :chuckle:.

well, i certainly think that, luigi its better than young link by faster recovery, easier and better WD and fire bow
Really? I didn't know that Luigi was apart of this discussion lol?!

:chuckle: :laugh: :chuckle: :lick: :chuckle: :laugh: :chuckle:

You must of lost your train of thought or something when making your post and were thinking of Luigi instead of Link I'm guessing lmao.

Jash

Smash Lord
Wait a minute, people use Link over Young Link because Link has a Bomb Recovery? This might disappoint a lot people who did that but....Young Link has one too. It might of not been discovered yet but it is true, Young Link has a Bomb Recovery. Also if anyone noticed, Link takes longer taking out and shooting the bow. Links boomerang is weaker and his boomerang sweet spot is weaker. Also Believe it or not, Young Links Fsmash kills quicker the Links....its pretty self explanatory if ya ask me, Links second part of his Fsmash sends the opponent up and that makes them harder to kill because of the power of DI. And yes i know his Fsmash takes more % but were talking about killing not damage. Young Links second part of his Fsmash sends them forward and it has more pressure so its tip is almost as strong as marths. Also Young Link has an ability that i have done before called Bomb DI, Ill make a thread about it later but this does not work with Link because he is heavy and his DI is worse then Young Links. I can keep going on but i think this proves why i choose Young Link over Link. Oh and good luck getting out of WaveShine.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
lollll about the waveshine comment. so true. yea link is good and all, i like using him but my heart goes to ylink. and then fox.. even tho i uthrow> double usmash fox with both my eyes closed.

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
How can you get 2 Usmashes in a row, a good Fox would just DI out of it. I suggest you don't have BOTH your eyes closed because that instant could lead to you losing a stock.

I'm not saying your a bad y. link or anything I'm just saying even a noob fox can get lucky.

Chip.

you know what to do
How can you get 2 Usmashes in a row, a good Fox would just DI out of it. I suggest you don't have BOTH your eyes closed because that instant could lead to you losing a stock.

I'm not saying your a bad y. link or anything I'm just saying even a noob fox can get lucky.
Fox is a fast faller, so it's hard for him to DI juggling attacks. What I think Giggidax is talking about is that at around 40% Young Link can double U-smash Fox. It's actually quite effective. You can watch Caveman doing it while ****** a Fox player in his combo video Inside the Cave ^_^.

BTW, does anyone have some spare Caveman vids they can provide? In "inside the Cave", it shows numerous battle sequences of him with different opponents that I just can't find on Youtube or Google video. Can anyone lend me a hand :confused: ??

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
That's because it's caveman, and I've seen that combo vid it was his only one and then he started playing other characters not long after. It's a shame though there wasn't that many good y. link pros and I thought he was one of the best.

I've also been trying to see all of his y. link vids but they're hard to find.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
actually it is possible to usmash fox twice. and yea it is possible to DI out of. but around the right % its possible. Chip knows wat imtalking about and yes i still do it with both eyes closed.

example: Uthrow>usmash>wavedash>usmash, but i usualy just Uthrow>usmash>usmash
im like the daredevil baby! unstoppable! and just because hes caveman doesnt mean hes the only one who can double usmash a fox

edit : lol i dunno, i edited this post like 4 times

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
Hope you know the whole Caveman thing was a joke and wasn't to be taken seriously and I know its possible I never said it wasn't. But usually a fox would either Di or jump out of it or something.

Chip.

you know what to do
That's the thing, Fox can DI it but due to his super fast gravity he can't jump out of the juggle, which is a good advantage for Young Link to try uair combos to him if possible.

Are you sure Haxor? I don't know if Caveman really just stopped using Young Link like that, I mean he had such an incredible amount of skill with the charachter. Going off of that, who's Cave's main if anyone knows?

PS-Vids, vids anyone???

Aesir

Smash Master
Link is better lol.

His match ups are far better, it had nothing to do with bomb recovering and technically its not infinite since eventually your foe will just hit you and you die lolz

Chip.

you know what to do
Goody, a Link fanboy has come to the Young Link boards and has expressed his biased opinion.

No, his matchups aren't "far" better.

Young Link does better agianst Sheik because he's faster.

Young Link does slightly better than Link vs. Fox via no waveshine.

At most stages, Young Link is better vs. Falco because of stronger projectiles.

Link is better vs. Marth because of more damage physical attacks and he's heavy, but Young Link still does well in this matchup.

Link does far better against Ganon than Young Link does. i.e. Ganon can kill Young Link at like 50% with bad DI

Young Link vs. Falcon or Link vs. Falcon is prolly even, they both are in the disadvantage XD. Maybe since Young Link is faster and his projectiles are more effective he might have the advantage.

They both **** Peach :] but Young Link is faster and can spam more efficiently and more effective than Link can still

These are my experiences fighting the higher tiered charachters with these two and watching other pros fighting against higher tiered charachters as well with these two charachters.

When you come down to the cream of the crop, Young Link can combo way better with his projectiles-> physical combos, but Link has better, stronger physical combos.

Nuttin' against you Aesir, I've seen your posts around the Link boards and you sure know what your talking about ^_^.

Madlobster

Smash Apprentice
allthough link is ranked higher in the tier list, i prefer YL over link, he just fits my style better. and thats why i play YL better than link

Aesir

Smash Master
Goody, a Link fanboy has come to the Young Link boards and has expressed his biased opinion.
LOL I'm baised? I say link sucks every second of the day because he does. LOL

No, his matchups aren't "far" better.
Yes they are.
Young Link does better agianst Sheik because he's faster.
You just lost all creditbility, Not only can't you be more wrong but your reasoning is laughable.

Young Link does slightly better than Link vs. Fox via no waveshine.
Clearly You've never faced a good fox.

At most stages, Young Link is better vs. Falco because of stronger projectiles.
what ****ty falcos are you playing?

Link is better vs. Marth because of more damage physical attacks and he's heavy, but Young Link still does well in this matchup.
Marth molests Y.link.

Link does far better against Ganon than Young Link does. i.e. Ganon can kill Young Link at like 50% with bad DI
trooth.

Young Link vs. Falcon or Link vs. Falcon is prolly even, they both are in the disadvantage XD. Maybe since Young Link is faster and his projectiles are more effective he might have the advantage.
In my experience link vs cf is even it all comes down to who knows the match up better. however Link definatey does better then y.link.

They both **** Peach :] but Young Link is faster and can spam more efficiently and more effective than Link can still
ylink probably does better in that match up, I know chu uses ylink for it cause he's strange.

These are my experiences fighting the higher tiered charachters with these two and watching other pros fighting against higher tiered charachters as well with these two charachters.
if you're talking about pros like caveman thats because its caveman. you don't see roy fans saying roy is better because of neo....oh wait.

When you come down to the cream of the crop, Young Link can combo way better with his projectiles-> physical combos, but Link has better, stronger physical combos.
Which is better? having long combos that hardly kill? or having small combos that can kill. Man I've been playing this game all wrong I thought we were suppose to be winning not losing ****.
Nuttin' against you Aesir, I've seen your posts around the Link boards and you sure know what your talking about ^_^.
Right.

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
Wow your fighting about how Link is better than young link on a young link forum...........your not gonna win this one, sry to say but young link is better.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Dude. No.
Young Link actually counters Shiek in my opinion. He can easily crouch cancel everything and spam efficiently.

Foxes are not bad either. :o Its pretty even in my opinion.

Falcos are the same.

CF has an advantage over Young Link. o:

I can keep going on, but dude..just no. Dont talk about stuff you dont know much about.
I'll upload some of my vids soon so you can see me play.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Dude. No.
Young Link actually counters Shiek in my opinion. He can easily crouch cancel everything and spam efficiently.
get chain grabbed 0-infinity, and spam the explosion attack when you sacrifice a stock to do massive damage.

Foxes are not bad either. :o Its pretty even in my opinion.
As long as they have no idea how to play this game.

Falcos are the same.
As long as they have no idea how to play this game.

I can keep going on, but dude..just no. Dont talk about stuff you dont know much about.
I'll upload some of my vids soon so you can see me play.
Please, explain why ylink does "well" in the match ups and why faf/sheik do so poorly vs ylink.

Brookman

Smash Hero
its been proven link does over all better then y.link does. gg sirs gg.
It's also been proven that the world is round, but there's no way in hell you'll ever trick me into believing that. Also, Young Link can do just as well as big link :mad: It's just a matter of learning how to use him and playing right and mind gamesing your opponent!!! <3 ylink forever.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
well... I choose YL more cause YL is fun to run around with. I do love Link too though, especially for that spin attack and grapple range comes in handy sometimes. I dunno. I find YL funner, but Link more effective.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
You just lost all creditbility
Sorry to be an ***, but it's not like incorrect spelling actually helps your credibility either.

It's called "different strokes for different folks." YL has issues with KO'ing (which is probably one of the reasons why he's not nearly as popular as Link is), while Link does have KO power, but suffers from severe speed issues.

YL does moderately well in areas where projectile spamming/camping is actually effective. Like, say, against Peach. Or Falco (sometimes). Link is for all the people who don't like the fact that YL can't KO and has comparatively limited range.

I chose YL because his weight/falling speed/etc. is similar to Mario's, except he has more projectiles to play with. Other people choose Link, for whatever reason they have. There's no reason to get in a hissy fit about character choice.

Aesir

Smash Master
Sorry to be an ***, but it's not like incorrect spelling actually helps your credibility either.
so because I spell something wrong I don't know what i'm talking about? LOL kay.

It's called "different strokes for different folks." YL has issues with KO'ing (which is probably one of the reasons why he's not nearly as popular as Link is), while Link does have KO power, but suffers from severe speed issues.
I don't care who they use, I seriously don't. When they start saying things that aren't true thats when I care. >_>

YL does moderately well in areas where projectile spamming/camping is actually effective. Like, say, against Peach. Or Falco (sometimes). Link is for all the people who don't like the fact that YL can't KO and has comparatively limited range.
please, falco destroys y.link theres no way around it.

I chose YL because his weight/falling speed/etc. is similar to Mario's, except he has more projectiles to play with. Other people choose Link, for whatever reason they have. There's no reason to get in a hissy fit about character choice.
I'm not getting into a hissy fit >_> I'm just correcting these people on things they know very little about. Link just does better then y.link its a fact.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
aesir u phail at lyphe.

"I don't care who they use, I seriously don't. When they start saying things that aren't true thats when I care. >_>"
everyone is different. maybe u suck at certain matchups that we are better at

just because u play big link more efficient than ur Ylink doesnt mean everyone in the world will be faced with the same outcome. anyway u shouldnt come in the Ylink forums to flame Ylink users. thats just ignorance

i am finished.

Aesir

Smash Master
aesir u phail at lyphe.
Lol.

"I don't care who they use, I seriously don't. When they start saying things that aren't true thats when I care. >_>"
Link has better match ups then y.link. Its just a fact, theres no way of sugar coating it.

just because u play big link more efficient than ur Ylink doesnt mean everyone in the world will be faced with the same outcome. anyway u shouldnt come in the Ylink forums to flame Ylink users. thats just ignorance

i am finished.
I'm not flaming y.link players, if you call this flame you should have joined the forums last year when 5150 was around, he'd eat you guys alive. Or hell if doodah saw this rofl I'd pay to see this ****.

Brookman

Smash Hero
aesir u phail at lyphe.

just because u play big link more efficient than ur Ylink doesnt mean everyone in the world will be faced with the same outcome.

i am finished.
Aiser isn't trying to say that YOU, or anyone else specifically, would be better if they used link. The fact that you suck at this game is completely beside the point. Someone saying that link or ylink is better than the other based upon their experience is arbitrary. THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS THAT LINK IS A BETTER CHARACTER, OVER-ALL, nothing more, nothing less. I don't really understand how anyone could try to dispute that statement.

Top Bottom