• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why choose Y. Link over Link?

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I get a lot of post reported by people from this room in particular. I know, only about three people are responsible of all this, but I won't tolerate it any longer. If you can't accept other people's opinion, you shouldn't post or even read in here. Thanks.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Wak, what would you do if I called you an idiot, or mentally-closed-off, or ********? I'd surely get at least a 3-4 point warning for disrespect of forum leaders. Though, let's pretend you don't sit high on the throne of the over lord moderators. Wouldn't you report such a post? We lesser users are given that privelage for that very reason. I don't see why harassment should be tolerated.

Also, in regards to accepting other people's opinions, disregarding them is what makes posting on swf so fun. Unless you're referring to accepting someone's opinion that so and so is a ******/mentally-closed-off, if that were the case then no one should be warned for disrespecting forum leaders, cause that's just their opinion anyway, right?

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
The stupidity in this forum lately is so that I'm at a loss for words.
It's on its last leg. Melee is essentially dead in that players have managed to discover just about every trick that exists. All that remains are various pointless glitches. All the good glitches are taken. >_<

I don't know why, but even without a release date, I've been way excited for Brawl this past week. Twilight Princess Link FTW!

Oh, and by the way, I didn't notice the requests earlier about tournaments won by Young Link. While I don't know the names of the tournaments, I have heard numerous reports that Caveman has taken Young Link all the way to the top. Ask Caveman or a related Texas smasher. I don't hear much of Link being used the same way except for Aniki.

Ryaneatworld

Smash Apprentice
Oh, and by the way, I didn't notice the requests earlier about tournaments won by Young Link. While I don't know the names of the tournaments, I have heard numerous reports that Caveman has taken Young Link all the way to the top. Ask Caveman or a related Texas smasher. I don't hear much of Link being used the same way except for Aniki.
Yeah, caveman is probably the only Young Link around to have placed first in noteable tournaments. Im sure Aniki has won or placed high in plenty of tournaments, its just hard to hear about Japanese smash stuff. He's probably the only Link that places high in tourneys regularly also. >.>

btk Ace

Smash Apprentice
Brookman your funny I like you.

Quote:
All of turner's posts

haha that made me giggle

on a much lighter note
everyone one in here
(besides me, Ryaneatworld,brookman for make such an effort on debating and being funny and turner for making me laugh so hard I think I pissed myself)

Chip.

you know what to do
Chip I think what you should do is have a sit down and go play some good players preferably a good sheik. The reason why sheiks don't chain grab you is because they don't have to, a good sheik won't even need to CG you it just makes this so easy its sad.

Sheik can and probably will CG you at 0% and go until 70, and by some fluke they can't really do that they'll just jab reset and grab, or they'll tech chase or something though tech chasing probably won't occur. so in any case you're gonna get grabbed then after the molest fest is over, sheiks going to start tilt juggling you then smack you off where you have no chance of coming back.

Sheik can do the exact same to link however if sheik tries killing link early it probably won't work because no matter how good your survival DI is because y.link is so light hes able to to so much faster the fact that link can live longer with survival DI is proof enough he does better. Furthermore links stronger hits allow him to knock sheik back farther if she gets close and to spam, now granted you have a point that y.link is the better spammer however, if sheik gets close its just gonna be a **** fest. Same can be be said with link but he can knock her around a bit and sets up for good juggles since they both combo each other very well.
Yes, I know how to play against a good Sheik.

It's true, Sheik doesn't have to CG Young Link or Link and still mercilessly kill them both, it's just much more hard/annoying when they do. While, yes Link DOES last longer in the fight, it doesn't really hold that much for him doing better than Young Link would. Even if Link will last longer, there is basically nothing you can do against her and you'll lose, bad! Young Link can die faster but can last relatively moderate in the fight, usually dieying at around 130%-140% ,more or less, which isn't that bad since Young Link can get a lot of good combos in. Young Link can manage himself better in this fight because of his defense and speed, while Link is sluggish, slow, and acts as easier prey to her and being chewed up by her combos. Link can hardley do anything in this fight, but run and spam and all Sheik has to do is needle through his projectiles, then run him down and murder him. While this somewhat applies the same for Young Link too, however, Young Link can get more damage in off with his projectiles while ranking up damage faster and quicker as well when he spaces. Young Link will utilize his projectiles into combos (provided when he hits her) and kill her with them too when she's at higher percents. Another thing is, Young Link does very well close up with his combos (hence good defense) and he can set her up for good juggles like dthrow->utilt->utilt->uair->uair is a good juggle at medium percents to do. Also, Young Link can very well "knock her around a bit" like Link can. D-smash and dash attack are good examples of this because they can knock Sheik VERY far off the edge horizontally and kill her well, while Link's attacks, d-smash/dash attack, don't do anything of the sort. So I guess that rules in Young Link being able to "combo each other very well" going by what you said XD. Just to mention, Link's/Young Link's arials are both good equeally good to keep her away in this fight, esp. nair and fair. Basically, Link can BARELY breath in this match against Sheiks insane speed, deadly combos, and gay needles. Young Link can just handle this situation well enough to stand at LEAST a fighting chance BETTER than Link would, any day.

Oh and Buzz, I think that tournament that Caveman released his beastly Young Link in was Show Me Your Moves 3, not 100% sure though, and got 1st. Yeah, I guess no one uses Young Link in tournaments and wins XP.

I'm stoked for Brawl as well!!!! Can't wait to own with TP Link, as long as he's a tad bit broken (from the looks of it that's highly doubtable)...

El_LoVo

Smash Ace
Buzz- lol, you say it as if there are less people using link to the top.

Chip- sheik doesn't have insane speed, you seem to have no idea how a link vs sheik matchup goes.
Link doens't have the vertical attacks like down smash and dash attack, and so they don't use those to kill, instead you dair, or easier is sex kick em off and edgeguard.
link

Link226

Smash Ace
im not saying there is im not saying there isnt in the end we have no idea who plays smash so that is un answerable if you think it through which you obviously didnt

and you obviously didnt read my post else you would have realized that i said im not skillfull and ive been playing it since the release of the original

so learn to read before you post again
Actually hes not the only one, theres a lot of people on SWF that thinks like that.

Link226

Smash Ace
I love how chus ranked and plank isn't.

Do I need to be blunt? >_> skill > counters thats how it works and I've never gone against that.
Huh? I didnt put up that video for you to comment on...so i hope i didnt offend you by doing so. But i just thought it was funny how Chu's Pichu won.

Link226

Smash Ace
I don't see why people bring up specific cases when all aiser is saying is that young Link is not as good as Link. Aiser is not saying that so-and-so's link is better than so-and-so's young link. Fact: Link > Young Link, again, I don't see how anyone could attempt to dispute this. Jash, I'd like to see you win a tournament with ylink, or beat good people for that matter.
:laugh: ...how ironic. Jash DID win a tournament, and did beat numerous of good people to win that tournament.

Whoa sorry for the triple post...didnt even notice.

Ryaneatworld

Smash Apprentice
Buzz- lol, you say it as if there are less people using link to the top.

Chip- sheik doesn't have insane speed, you seem to have no idea how a link vs sheik matchup goes.
Link doens't have the vertical attacks like down smash and dash attack, and so they don't use those to kill, instead you dair, or easier is sex kick em off and edgeguard.
link
HA. Sheik is fast. No doubt about that. And his overview of Y. Link and Link mathups were pretty indepth, though he may have been wrong in a few places he was pretty on target.

LOL at Link for triple post.

Chip.

you know what to do
Hardley, if you think that I don't know how the matchup goes then explain a little in depth how it DOES go, Link vs. Sheik. Why don't you since you obviously think otherwise?...>_<

And while you're at it, why don't you state why Young Link DOESN'T do better than Link would (since you didn't).... I know it's hard, because Link just sucks more in this matchup.

Sheik's speed is insanely fast in ratio with Link's turtle-slow speed. Sheik is just fast. period. She can combo Link/Young Link wonderfully but it's a lot harder for Link to escape from it.

How can you claim to know more than me if you don't have any good backup behind your own posts? Tsk tsk, pathetic.

Link doens't have the vertical attacks like down smash and dash attack, and so they don't use those to kill,
I think you should pay attention before you post, because Link DOES have the VERTICAL attacks like d-smash and dash attack because they send the opponent up (hence VERTICAL) and are used for comboeing.

Yes, I also did mention that they weren't used for killing.

instead you dair, or easier is sex kick em off and edgeguard.
link
That doesn't make any sense. Where would you get off this dair? If you're expecting it to come off of his dash attack, then you should reconsider that and don't. That attack is so laggy that you'll get punished for it if Sheik blocks it then your in for a d-smash or she could chain-grab you for a few happy hours if she feels like it too. I wouldn't count on it. Also, the attack doesn't send you anywhere for a setup sure-fired dair if they DI it properly. Same goes for the d-smash, you can DI it, but this attack isn't too laggy but don't expect a free 100% hit dair if that WAS what you were getting at.

Lol, yeah, Young Link can sex kick them off and edgegaurd as well.

HA. Sheik is fast. No doubt about that. And his overview of Y. Link and Link mathups were pretty indepth, though he may have been wrong in a few places he was pretty on target.
Thank you. But what do you see whats wrong with that? It's all true, Link just does terrible against Sheik. Young Link does bad too, just not as bad. Plain and simple.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
yay hurray for ylink i just got finished watching smore jash videos. he inspires me, along with many other ylink players.

anyway, el_lovo, Link's Dsmash sends opponents upward so it is vertical.. just wanted to point that out. and landing a dair on shiek is pretty hard. but definitely not impossible. id just go with the sex kicks

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Let me just say that El_LoVo is one of the most amazing Link players I have ever faced. He really knows what he's talking about (even if he encrypts his posts).

El_LoVo

Smash Ace
lol
I got owned by chip, shizzle

alright, i wrote a bit on my thoughts of the match ups, but seriously, I'm not good, I got owned by forward and taj and a bit by wobbles when i played em, so i'll let the good people post.

I'm dropping out of this argument cuz I don't know what to say.
Though i'm sorry my earlier posts were unclear, i got reasons why but no johns.

Chip.

you know what to do
My apoligies, El_LoVo, T_T I didn't know any better than you to be a well-rounded Link (even if you deny it :chuckle:)

Don't leave just because of my silly post... :psycho:

btk Ace

Smash Apprentice
thanks i think :confused:

that confused smilie looks more sad than confused
yeah it does......hahahaha thats funny :laugh:

and why is everyone debaiting about sheik?
this is Y.Link over Link
I mean sheik is a hard match up
but It should be summed up into a few posts
not 392430 pages

Chip.

you know what to do
this is Y.Link over Link
not 392430 pages

That is because I'm trying to prove my point that Young Link does better than Link in a lot of higher tier matchups like Young Link vs. Sheik, Fox, Peach, and Falco. He doesn't do much better than Link does, but Young Link's movesets and abilities are better against these particular foes and are better applied and managed in the battles as well. Which is why if anyone was trying to state Link does better against Sheik that's why I would debate with them until I prove that he isn't, and Young Link would actually be the better choice in this match.

Did I make this any clearer? I hope I did at least.

Brookman

Smash Hero
yeah it does......hahahaha thats funny :laugh:

this is Y.Link over Link
not 392430 pages
I was referring to this post, Aiser.

Ryaneatworld

Smash Apprentice
This topic has lost my interest. Since we've gone over all possible reasons why Y. Link is better than Link or vice versa about 10 times through, now its all ghey and stuff.

Deva

Smash Lord
I luv pie

BTW, varietybarage is the second best in Washington State, unless you were joking, I'm tired look at the time on this post.....I'm going to bed.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
This topic has lost my interest. Since we've gone over all possible reasons why Y. Link is better than Link or vice versa about 10 times through, now its all ghey and stuff.
Like I said... I was surprised this thread wasn't closed due to utter repetition. Save it for Brawl.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
ylinks upb is still cool tho. ive actually grown to like it. because if ur opponent smash DI>tech's links upb then ur stuck with ur opponent right next to u. but Ylink's upb is jus like a spinning buzzsaw (buzz O_O). if u walk into it then yea, DI out.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Yea, Link's up B would definitely make young link much better. As far as low tier is concerned at least.

Top Bottom