• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Brawl's Roster Sucks: An Ultimatum

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
This roster is great.
Toon Link? Fox, Falco, AND Wolf (all three of which are basically clones) but no Krystal? Lucas AND Ness? No Takamaru OR Samurai Goroh? Only two new Nintendo franchises getting reps? A piece of hardware that was never particuarlly popular getting priority over actual characters?

That is NOT a great roster. At best it's decent, and I wouldn't even go that far. We're paying money for this thing, heaven forbid we get a say in what we pay for.

Not everyone likes the roster--deal with it.

SYC!

Smash Apprentice
Toon Link? Fox, Falco, AND Wolf (all three of which are basically clones) but no Krystal? Lucas AND Ness? No Takamaru OR Samurai Goroh? Only two new Nintendo franchises getting reps? A piece of hardware that was never particuarlly popular getting priority over actual characters?

That is NOT a great roster. At best it's decent, and I wouldn't even go that far. We're paying money for this thing, heaven forbid we get a say in what we pay for.

Not everyone likes the roster--deal with it.
Dead wrong. You don't get a say in what is in the game. However, YOU DO get a say in whether you buy it or not. If you don't like the roster, then don't buy the game. Nobody is holding a gun up to your head, dip****.

FaceGuy

Smash Apprentice
Topic poster: I love you.

Guys who are complaining: It amazes me that you seem unable to realise how immature you look, especially as you are posting these opinions in a thread that was started with a detailed post pointing out all the problems with your reasoning.

A few extra points:

- We don't know for sure if all the returning secret characters are clones, although it doesn't look good.

- Assuming Wolf is a clone before we've even seen him is kind of silly.(isn't there just as much chance of it being Krystal, or have I missed something?).

- I don't remember Sakurai ever saying he wanted more female characters and villains. I could be wrong about that, but I do remember some guy saying that he thought that's what Sakurai was going for.

- Just because the majority of the cool new characters are in the starting roster doesn't mean it's bad.

- Anyone saying Sakurai did a half-arsed job is clearly looking at a different game. I thought Melee was deep, but it seems basic when you compare it to just what we've already seen from Brawl. Online multi-player for nearly every mode, co-op for nearly every mode, Subspace Emissary, the huge amount of music, stickers, Final Smashes, new items, new stages, stage editor, the ability to save, download and send photos, replays and stages. It even looks like there are going to be significantly more trophies than in Melee. And then there are modifications to almost everything that was already in, with old characters gaining new moves and mechanics, and the actual fighting system being modified. Compare Brawl to almost any other game out there and there will be a ridiculously huge difference in the amount of content.

- Obviously there's not going to be as huge a leap in character roster size from Melee to Brawl as there was from SSB64 to Melee. The majority of the obvious (and a few not-so-obvious) characters were added in Melee - Wario was probably the only one who was obvious at the time and wasn't in. I think people are also forgetting that four characters have been removed, and Pokemon Trainer is almost as much three characters as Zelda is two. There is an addition of at least 14 unique movesets. And, as I already mentioned, modifications to existing characters.

I'm sure not everyone will believe me, but I need to point out that I am not being a Sakurai or Nintendo fanboy in saying this. I am just pointing out the basic facts, and think that credit should go where credit is due. If you think Brawl is low on content, then you can't count, it's as simple as that. Lots of you are saying 'if only it had a few more characters'. If it's so few then why does it make such a big difference to you? I can't say that it has my ideal full roster either, I was really hoping for Isaac or Felix, but ultimately it has such a small impact on the quality of the game. People complained about the Melee roster, but the fact that people are still regularly playing it seven years later says a lot about how little it matters.

To summarise: Stop your hissy fit. I don't want to sound patronising but that's all it is. Your points are invalid.

*puts on flame-resistant jacket*

Ares And Enyo

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, stop complaining, you're acting like spoiled brats.

This roster is great.

It could have been better yes, but just think a second, Ridley was too big, everyone said it, and he is indeed really big in the SSE.

It's not easy to find another reps for Metroid.
The Metroid's concept is to play alone in a big planetscale labyrinth! The only way to add a reps was Armorless Samus. And they did.
The rest of emblematic character are too big: Kraid, Ridley, Mother Brain...
Look we are not being spoiled brats ok. It is a very simple idea that I think most people have about Brawl. Brawl is in the super smash brother series right? What has smash been the last two installments? What has defined the game? Multiplayer! For as much as they have put into every other possible aspect I can't help but feel the whole selling point the magic that was in the last two smashes has been comparatively neglected and sacrificed. I would rather of had a single player that sucked for the next 10 years than a lask luster roster. Because lets be honest at the end of 4 years SSE will have lost its magic ... at least compared to the enduring awesomeness that multiplayer will always provide. Then think about what is it that multiplayer's awesomeness is built on? Gameplay (which we'll see about) and the roster. So why would you have comparatively underdeveloped the most important timeless features of the game for an expiring single player? Ok so the roster isn't great but my biggest problem with it is the Metroid Reps... Samus... that is it. WTF? Ridley is not to big - he could be scaled down to the super metroid size that they have insisted that instance of the metroid universe should be in smash. Metroid is a very popular series and deserves at least three reps - yea that is right it deserves it. On top of that Ridley was the #1 or #2 most requested addition and I think he was #1 in North America. Ridley could have been done - you all know it - Sakurai screwed up stop defending him about it and just admit he screwed up so everyone can just move on and stop making the loss of a good character harder for some to swallow.

Ares And Enyo

Smash Apprentice

This roster is great.

It could have been better yes, but just think a second, Ridley was too big, everyone said it, and he is indeed really big in the SSE.

The Metroid's concept is to play alone in a big planetscale labyrinth! The only way to add a reps was Armorless Samus. And they did.
Look we are not being spoiled brats ok. It is a very simple idea that I think most people have about Brawl. Brawl is in the super smash brother series right? What has smash been the last two installments? What has defined the game? Multiplayer! For as much as they have put into every other possible aspect I can't help but feel the whole selling point the magic that was in the last two smashes has been comparatively neglected and sacrificed. I would rather of had a single player that sucked for the next 10 years than a lask luster roster. Because lets be honest at the end of 4 years SSE will have lost its magic ... at least compared to the enduring awesomeness that multiplayer will always provide. Then think about what is it that multiplayer's awesomeness is built on? Gameplay (which we'll see about) and the roster. So why would you have comparatively underdeveloped the most important timeless features of the game for an expiring single player? Ok so the roster isn't great but my biggest problem with it is the Metroid Reps... Samus... that is it. WTF? Ridley is not to big - he could be scaled down to the super metroid size that they have insisted that instance of the metroid universe should be in smash. Metroid is a very popular series and deserves at least three reps - yea that is right it deserves it. On top of that Ridley was the #1 or #2 most requested addition and I think he was #1 in North America. Ridley could have been done - you all know it - Sakurai screwed up stop defending him about it and just admit he screwed up so everyone can just move on and stop making the loss of a good character harder for some to swallow.

Ares And Enyo

Smash Apprentice

This roster is great.

Saor Gael

Smash Apprentice
Wow, the flame wars have turned into firestorms.

I, too, am a little disappointed that Ridley and a few other characters didn't get into Brawl. However, I fully know it's not the end of the world. I say 'oh, well, that's disappointing, at the least the game still looks awesome otherwise' and I KEEP LIVING MY LIFE.

So, yeah, I can understand disappointment, but people should stop whining about it. There are worse things in the world than not having your speshul character in Brawl. Some people are starting to remind me of the over-priviliged folks who come into my shop and complain that their art is a day late like it's the end of the world. Really, if that's the worst problem you have, then you're **** lucky.

LOL, I thought the opening poster was going to be whining about the roster when I clicked this topic.

CAPTAIN BUTTS

Smash Cadet
The reason the roster's regarded as so bad is because what we'd seen before now was so good. Come on, Pit, Pokemon Trainer, Metaknight, Snake, Sonic, Olimar, KING GOD DAMN DEDEDE? ****'s awesome. If it were possible to buy an addon to Melee with half of those guys in it, I would have bought it in a second. But then I look to the newcomers we didn't know about, and I couldn't care less. Rob, over someone awesome like MewTwo? Pffft. Get out of here, Sakurai wouldn't pull anything like that, look what he's already put in the game. Dream Maker can't possibly be the Dream Smasher, right? If I were to put this whole thing in terms of a book, it's one that started off brilliantly. You're enthralled, you can't put the damn thing down. You can only see the book getting even better, and it's already the most awesome thing you've ever read. Then one day, you read past a certain page, and the book stops abruptly and says BUT IT WAS ALL OKAY BECAUSE IT WAS JUST A DREAM. That's the ending. What? You could have sworn there were another 100 pages at leas- nope, they're all blank, besides the word "lol" on the bottom of 457 and a request for a bag of doritos six pages later. That's it. ****.
Well, at least it started off pretty awesome. Maybe if he writes another, he can fix that ending?

In conclusion, if shattered dreams had a flavor, Smash Boards would be delicious.

prettymanfairy

Smash Lord
The Brawl roster is crap. Starfox has four reps, and Metroid has one, even though it's a much more popular and lucrative. And the size is rather disappointing considering the fact that there are clones. 35 characters, isn't what Nintendo stated as being "an insane amount of characters."

But I'm happy with the game. It's not the end of the world, and it will still be the best game made. The SSE looks to be at least ten hours. I had a nergasm during nearly all the cutscene videos, and almost cried when Ness was turned into a trophy. There's an insane amount of music, fully orchastrated, and two really awesome third parties.

Still, complain all you want about the roster, because in that department, we got the shaft. There's no doubt about that, unless your standards are extremely low.

So in summary: Complaining about game = Bad
Complaining about the roster = Good

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
I agree 100% with this thread.

When Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance came out I was completely bumed out that there was no Liu Kang. I didn't think i would enjoy the game at all without him and ended up not caring fro the rest of the cast. I eventualy came to my senses and when I got the game I enjoyed it anyway, without him. The cast wasn't perfect without him in my book, but it didn't make it bad.

You choose to hate the roster/game on your own. There may be many other interesting options and worthy characters to play but hating the entire thing because one character isn't there is insane.
Personaly I want Ridly and Krystal but I will enjoy it even without them (the roster and the game).

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
I was just skimming through the complete trash that people are saying about ROB. a New freaking character, added into the already brimming heap of awesome.

They are throwing an absolute fit. What if ROB is freaking awesome? They just...i can't even find the words...
I don't really mind so much since we do have a rather large roster and I'm quite happy with that.

But ROB does feel like a wasted space, it was just a gimmick toy to help push the NES into the market and is now being forced down our throats like a bad meme.

People are probably going to argue nostalgia, but I really don't see how you can have good memories of a robot toy that just stacked coloured tops. Maybe if you used one of his many appendages to masturbate and the fact that he is a robot. But that's about it. The concept wasn't a brilliant one, at least with our last WTF, G&W, his moves translated well and there was a whole generation of gamers playing the G&W series. Even if ROB is awesome, it doesn't make a bad idea any better. I'd much rather have a more fitting character in the bottom tier over a less fitting top tier character.

I dunno, I wouldn't know who I'd rather have instead, but there were a few potential characters who could have filled the slot better than ROB, I think.

But hey, what can we do about it? He's in the roster and all we can do is look forward to Brawl...when it comes out....in the UK ;________________________;

I hate having to wait even longer than you lot.

Theon

Smash Rookie
While I agree with the core of your argument, TC, your ultimatum is riddled with hyperbole. “The largest and most ambitions project ever?” “A single player campaign that is larger than many entire games?” “The notion that any fan…could possibly be unhappy with this game…is completely absurd… [and] …fundamentally a logical impossibility?” And my favorite, “I myself will play with unaltered bliss.”

Your ultimatum reads like buzz marketing. Or as if it were written by a Nintendo employee frustrated with fan response. Whoever you may be, you patently ignore the valid arguments brought up by members of the online Smash community and simultaneously engage in hypocrisy. According to your ultimatum, members are “irrational[ly] hype[d]” about a game that – what was the quote again? A game that no Super Smash Bros. fan “could possibly be unhappy with.”

Why might it be logical to be upset – on some level – with the final roster? For starters, an anticlimactic number of previously unrevealed newcomers. Had Nintendo revealed fewer newcomers on the Dojo, expectations would be lower and fan response would be several times improved. Conjecture, to be sure, but a coherent argument regardless.

Another source of fan distress? What a good portion of the community considers to be illogical choices for certain playable characters. Example: Zero Suit Samus. You played as ZSS for a total of what, twenty seconds in the entire Metroid series combined? I’m obviously exaggerating here, but ZSS is an odd choice for Nintendo’s “all-star roster,” especially with Ridley on the sidelines. Three anthropomorphic characters of the same build and gender in the Star Fox series, two in the Earthbound series, and two in the Fire Emblem series only add to the frustration. Oh, and it’s 41 unique move sets, not characters. And that’s only if the game has no clones whatsoever, which is currently in doubt.

I agree with you in that the expectations on this board were, at times, outrageous. But to say there is an “absolute lack of respect” for the people involved in the development of Brawl is equally absurd.

My point? Current fan response isn’t entirely irrational. Your hyperbole, however, is.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I think R.O.B. is awesome. He's there for the real hardcore Nintendo fans that have been around since Nintendo got its foot off the ground, just like Game and Watch was. I can't wait to play with him.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
I thought Ice Climbers and G&W already covered the Nintendo dust-scrub base, but apparently they wanted to go all out with crappy characters and add "ROB".

Ice Climbers were going to be my punching bag, but now I feel Rob is much more deserving of this position. A lame little robot, thats one big steaming pile of failure considering all of the chars that could have been in the game.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
While I agree with the core of your argument, TC, your ultimatum is riddled with hyperbole.
I did?

“The largest and most ambitions project ever?” “A single player campaign that is larger than many entire games?” “The notion that any fan…could possibly be unhappy with this game…is completely absurd… [and] …fundamentally a logical impossibility?” And my favorite, “I myself will play with unaltered bliss.”
I'm missing the exaggeration. If you would like to contend that Brawl is not the most ambitious video game project ever, or that SSE is in fact smaller than most games in scope, then feel free to pursue those avenues of debate. (With Spore you might be able to have some basis.)

I don't see what is wrong with the last one either. My experience playing the game will not be affected by whatever nonsense a vocal minority on the internet is feeling. I'm clearly missing the hyperbole here is well, to me it sounds as plainly stated as it was intended.
Your ultimatum reads like buzz marketing. Or as if it were written by a Nintendo employee frustrated with fan response.
This is hilarious just because I am a member of communities that have actually had marketing shills and controversy before, mainly Rollo at Anandtech. I'm not sure which is funnier, the idea that my post reads like marketing, or the idea that Nintendo would need to market on smashboards...

Whoever you may be, you patently ignore the valid arguments brought up by members of the online Smash community and simultaneously engage in hypocrisy. According to your ultimatum, members are “irrational[ly] hype[d]” about a game that – what was the quote again? A game that no Super Smash Bros. fan “could possibly be unhappy with.”
Of course the hype was irrational. Is anyone claiming otherwise? The reaction is unexpected because nothing wcould live up to the hype at this point. If Jesus was playable, people would still be furious: "But I wanted to play as BABY JESUS! And where's my Tuxedo t-shirt costume?!?"

Why might it be logical to be upset – on some level – with the final roster? For starters, an anticlimactic number of previously unrevealed newcomers. Had Nintendo revealed fewer newcomers on the Dojo, expectations would be lower and fan response would be several times improved. Conjecture, to be sure, but a coherent argument regardless.
Of course expectation would be lower and reaction muted, that's the point. In an alternate universe without the dojo, people are going nuts over Pokemon Trainer, Olimar, and DeDeDe. In another alternate universe, multiple gaming news sites have crashed due to the traffic caused by the discover of Sonic and Snake in the game.

In our universe, everyone is looking the proverbial horse in the mouth and acting angry that the teeth aren't made of gold.

Another source of fan distress? What a good portion of the community considers to be illogical choices for certain playable characters. Example: Zero Suit Samus. You played as ZSS for a total of what, twenty seconds in the entire Metroid series combined? I’m obviously exaggerating here, but ZSS is an odd choice for Nintendo’s “all-star roster,” especially with Ridley on the sidelines. Three anthropomorphic characters of the same build and gender in the Star Fox series, two in the Earthbound series, and two in the Fire Emblem series only add to the frustration. Oh, and it’s 41 unique move sets, not characters. And that’s only if the game has no clones whatsoever, which is currently in doubt.
I don't see the issue here or what you are getting at. Most people agreed that Zero Suit Samus was innovative and clever when revealed. As for Ridley... Mewtwo proved that not all awesome characters belong in Brawl. Some would be doomed to be awkward, just as he. Ridley got his place in the game as a high-profile boss, what could be more fitting? Given that Samus is the only main character in Metroid games, is it that surprising that she is the only "rep"? Since when are characters "reps" anyway, was Smash Bros. declared Nintendo Congress?

I agree with you in that the expectations on this board were, at times, outrageous. But to say there is an “absolute lack of respect” for the people involved in the development of Brawl is equally absurd.
Not even remotely. Various comments on this board have been very derogatory towards the development team and the name Sakurai in particular. He's being flamed the same way Bill Gates and Bush often are, to be quite honest.

I obviously do not apply that declaration to everyone, or even a majority of the people on this board. That is given.

My point? Current fan response isn’t entirely irrational. Your hyperbole, however, is.
Countless comments on this board even now continue to hold the development team of this game to an impossible standard. Their hypocrisy of being so obsessed with the game but having zero confidence in their ability to produce it is simply not rational and honestly embarrassing to us as a community.

Regardless, thank you for joining said community to reply to my post. I hope you find us more hospitable in the future.

AustiniusRex

Smash Journeyman
Temporary. Soon to be replaced by a zombie-proof
I thought Ice Climbers and G&W already covered the Nintendo dust-scrub base, but apparently they wanted to go all out with crappy characters and add "ROB".

Ice Climbers were going to be my punching bag, but now I feel Rob is much more deserving of this position. A lame little robot, thats one big steaming pile of failure considering all of the chars that could have been in the game.
I think you're onto something...in the last game Fox was my punching bag because his taunt pissed the **** out of me. But ROB was such a disappointment (and possibly WW Link) that I believe he will be my new punching bag. Well played good sir.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
I think R.O.B. is awesome. He's there for the real hardcore Nintendo fans that have been around since Nintendo got its foot off the ground, just like Game and Watch was. I can't wait to play with him.
Okay so ROB is the "hey look at me I'm familar with crappy/ancient nintendo scrubs" character.

Gotcha.

AustiniusRex

Smash Journeyman
Temporary. Soon to be replaced by a zombie-proof
I think the fact that cool characters like Dedede, Ike, Olimar, Sonic and Snake are in, will make up for the letdown I felt when I saw Ness was back in addition to Lucas, Falco in addition to fox, WW Link's addition to Link and ROB's entire existence. The return of Marth, the creation of Stage Creator and Online Play, that's what's allowing me to look past these minor dissapointments and see the greatness that Sakurai has allowed us to enjoy.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well, there are still obviously characters missing. Hopefully we get Krystal and not Wolf. *shrug* And from the looks of it, classic Ridley still has SOME chance.

Seriously though, why ROB=??? Why not Balloon Fighter, Sukapon, Takamaru (and I don't like him), or Mach Rider=??? And no Mewtwo is retarted, and he deserves his spot more then Falco, Ness, Captain Falcon, Marth, or Ike ever will. Ya that's right-the two games he's in sell like crazy. Obviously if Sakurai doesn't have him f****ots confirmed in Brawl! Woaw, I almost don't want to buy this game, it's sad.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl: THE MOVIE! F*** everything after pyhsics, give me CHARACTERS! Story mode can drown in my p***, Stages can be small in number and good (like SSB64 and not Melee, with 1/3rd or it's satges sucking), etc. This is absolutely ridiculous. If I see Wolf, I'll be very disappointed. And for God's sake, Pokémon and Mario deserves AS MANY, IF NOT MORE REPS THEN ZELDA! 5 reps to 4....wtf? Geno, Bowser Jr., Mewtwo, Blazekein. Pick someone! WTF?...why not drop Sheik? :urg:

Overall, this is pretty ridiculous if this is it plus Wolf. There sure as hell better be more. And hopefully another 3rd party character...but NO! What about the fans=???

LinkNSnake4Main

Smash Journeyman
We got 0 new female characters and 0 new villains (wolf doesnt count because he is more of an anti-hero)

Please tell me your legally mentally challenged?

If not, what the F*CK is the difference between a Villain and an "Anti-Hero"

Epamek

Smash Cadet
to the OP:

You, sir, are a genius. Your ability to so aptly put my exact thoughts onto "paper" are truly formidable. I tip my hat to you, and fart in the general direction of the rosterhaters.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
I think the fact that cool characters like Dedede, Ike, Olimar, Sonic and Snake are in, will make up for the letdown I felt when I saw Ness was back in addition to Lucas, Falco in addition to fox, WW Link's addition to Link and ROB's entire existence. The return of Marth, the creation of Stage Creator and Online Play, that's what's allowing me to look past these minor dissapointments and see the greatness that Sakurai has allowed us to enjoy.
Good point, there are some real gems on the roster, +online, +a level creator, the game still rocks.

Rob isn't a "minor disappointment" though, like I said hes a huge steaming pile.

Puddin Master

Smash Apprentice
I agree with you, TC. I remember people hated Melee's rosterwhen it was leaked, but when they played the game, it was so good that the roster din't matter that much. I myself, really like the roster. I admit it is on the short side, but it has a good chunk of cool characters in the roster, and I can't wait to play as everyone, yes, even Lucario, who I so dreadfully hate.

Rakath

Smash Ace
We got 0 new female characters and 0 new villains (wolf doesnt count because he is more of an anti-hero)

Please tell me your legally mentally challenged?

If not, what the F*CK is the difference between a Villain and an "Anti-Hero"
Wolf isn't a 'big bad' but he is certainly a villain, he just is a 'rival' villain instead of a 'world ending villain of ultimate badness' like Andross. However your point on No new Females is spot on and I hate it. I want more villains, more females... get a second Fox clone and Samus again... I'm sorry, its a bit depressing...

ESAM

Smash Ace
SEFL representing samus in the sunshine state
The characters are good, the cast from melee was good, and any addition or crappy subtractions (roy, no offense) is welcome. Just because you people have been waiting for a certain character you like for.....1-2 years doesn't mean that its a bad roster, just that you were let down by your own idiotic expectations....It would be nice to have other people, but ROB is a welcome addition from a practically unheard game so you can get familiar with games. Barely anybody knew fire emblem until Melee came out and marth and roy=fire emblem publicity

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
True that thinkaman. I agree 100% This is game is turning out to be a masterpiece with one of the greatest video game minds out there leading the way. I disaprove of people who suddenly have a distaste for the roster because of one character. They fail to look at the big picture. Good stuff.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Geez, whats with all the ROB hate.

To be frank, 35 is a perfect number. Sure, more is better, but Sakurai has added a lot of characters, a lot many people have wanted. There has been many people asking for WW Link. I despise the idea, but like every character, someone dislikes it. Now we have Toon Link in all his glory, and people are still whining.

It proves no one can be happy. While yes, Ridley didn't make the cut, many other characters did. And he still plays a big role ( you seem to fight him A LOT). We even get crazy awesome R.O.B. At first, I thought the roster sucked, but now, seeing everything in it's glory, I love it. Yes, I do want Krystal over Wolf (and I'm hoping that's the case), but that won't stop me from buying the game.

There are 16 new selectable characters verses Melee's 13 (6 of which were clones). Most of the characters are coming back. Be happy.

Nightsama

Smash Rookie
Bravo to the OP, very well put.
Honestly it's fine to have your own opinion, obviously everybody isn't gonna be happy with the roster that has all but been confirmed so far - but seriously, aside from Theon you're all making yourselves sound....not so smart.

I'd really like to know, out of all the ppl *****ing about the roster, how many of them are actually gonna keep their money where their wallet is and not buy the game.

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
To be quite honest, this roster hit me like "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine." :(

Well, it's funny if you get the reference... :(

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
You have brought this upon yourself, with your irrational hype, deeply unrealistic expectations, and revolting sense of entitlement.
Excuse me?

Sakurai asked for the fans' opinions.
He created a **** poll.
He said he was treating this game like fanservice, like it was its last.

We ask for characters we want, he gives us clones and characters NO ONE wants, like ROB.
Sorry, but I just can't forgive him for this ****. Especially after the delay.

I'm not going to get over the fact that I may have to wait another 7 years for me to beat the poo out of Mario with Geno or Megaman or Krystal or whoever.

Deal with it.

Theon

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the welcome, Thinkaman. And thanks for the comment, Fawriel!

I'm missing the exaggeration. If you would like to contend that Brawl is not the most ambitious video game project ever, or that SSE is in fact smaller than most games in scope, then feel free to pursue those avenues of debate. (With Spore you might be able to have some basis.)
Taken all together, the hyperbole is there. There is little to suggest that Brawl is the most ambitious project ever. No financial figures to back your argument up, no real time with the game yet to back your argument up. Perhaps a viable argument down the line, but much too early to make a statement of such grandeur.

SSE is in fact smaller than most games in scope. Ten hours is currently being floated out there as the total amount of time it takes to beat it. While there is no universally agreed upon or researched “average game length,” ten hours is certainly on the mid- to lower-end of the spectrum. Longer than some games? Sure. Longer than most? An exaggeration.

And my contention that your quote, “the notion that any fan…could possibly be unhappy with this game…is completely absurd… [and] …fundamentally a logical impossibility?” is hyperbole is correct. Probably why you did not respond to it directly.

I don't see what is wrong with the last one either. My experience playing the game will not be affected by whatever nonsense a vocal minority on the internet is feeling. I'm clearly missing the hyperbole here is well, to me it sounds as plainly stated as it was intended.
The “unaltered bliss” comment I can give you. Hard to imagine “unaltered bliss,” but if you insist that such will be your state of mind when you start up Brawl, who am I to say otherwise. Coupled with your other statements, though, it’s hard not to read it as continued hyperbole.

This is hilarious just because I am a member of communities that have actually had marketing shills and controversy before, mainly Rollo at Anandtech. I'm not sure which is funnier, the idea that my post reads like marketing, or the idea that Nintendo would need to market on smashboards...
Looking back, you are right in saying that – under regular circumstances – the notion that Nintendo would need to market on Smashboards is pretty absurd. No argument there. But what is absurd about a Nintendo rep promoting the game to an apparently hurt and outraged fan base a day after the game has been leaked? Sounds logical to me.

Of course the hype was irrational. Is anyone claiming otherwise? The reaction is unexpected because nothing wcould live up to the hype at this point. If Jesus was playable, people would still be furious: "But I wanted to play as BABY JESUS! And where's my Tuxedo t-shirt costume?!?"
Why is the reaction unexpected if you claim that nothing could live up to the hype at this point? Isn’t the reaction expected then? And the basis for your ultimatum no longer as solid? Well, to be fair, you still have a basis for posting your original ultimatum, but I think then in that case your reaction is a bit too melodramatic.

I don't see the issue here or what you are getting at. Most people agreed that Zero Suit Samus was innovative and clever when revealed. As for Ridley... Mewtwo proved that not all awesome characters belong in Brawl. Some would be doomed to be awkward, just as he. Ridley got his place in the game as a high-profile boss, what could be more fitting? Given that Samus is the only main character in Metroid games, is it that surprising that she is the only "rep"? Since when are characters "reps" anyway, was Smash Bros. declared Nintendo Congress?
Mewtwo didn’t prove anything. The word “prove” is tossed about much too carelessly, especially on these forums. My point was – as I stated at the end of my post – that fans did have rational reasons to be upset, whatever you might say.

Also, I didn’t refer to characters as “reps” – feel free to search through my post again – but I do think that it is fair to say that the characters in Super Smash Bros. are meant to represent the most influential and widely-known games in Nintendo history. Which means…yes, in a sense, they are an unofficial “Nintendo Congress.” I'm only half-serious, here.

Not even remotely. Various comments on this board have been very derogatory towards the development team and the name Sakurai in particular. He's being flamed the same way Bill Gates and Bush often are, to be quite honest.

I obviously do not apply that declaration to everyone, or even a majority of the people on this board. That is given.
I agree that there is flaming going on against the Brawl development team, but to say that there is an absolute lack of respect – hyperbole italicized – is simply not true. Why? Because a good number of other posters also tend to hyperbolize, for dramatic effect and to instigate a response. I'm aware of the irony.

Their hypocrisy of being so obsessed with the game but having zero confidence in their ability to produce it is simply not rational and honestly embarrassing to us as a community.
Now that’s a great quote. Agreed, 100%. But not everyone is that hypocritical. Which brings me back to my original contention, that you engaged in what I consider unnecessary hyperbole in your first post.

And may I just say, I mean no disrespect in any of my responses. I'm a nice guy -- I swear! The hyperbole just got to me, whether you agree it's there or not.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
Some might like the roster, others might be really disappointed... And thats fine..

But for the love of Jebus, don't bash people just because their disappointed. Being purely unimpressed/disappointed, in no way makes one 'wrong'. Not everyone likes to be a "look at the bright side" apologist on the internet. I'm actually a really positive person in real life, but on the internet I see no reason why I shouldn't just call it like I see it. Opinions can't hurt anyone, ROB sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom