• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Brawl's Roster Sucks: An Ultimatum

Status
Not open for further replies.

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
I can see why people are rejecting ZSS. I mean there is NO POINT to learning to play well as her if you are to enter tournaments. You can't select her normally you HAVE to use her FS.....I'm pretty sure tournaments will not allow those. I for one don't mind the roster but all I wanted was ATLEAST 1 NEW female....sigh.
It doesnt change the fact that shes there. You cant just ignore her.

Shuma

Smash Hero
I don't, he is ****ing weird.(guess that's why he is WTF) but hae you seen how he... "moves"? It looks so stiff...

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
O.K. O.K. I was kinda mad about how mad everyone is getting about this roster, and I now realize something after talking to many-a-people in the real world.

Most people are surprised, and excited to hear news about what characters have made it into the Brawl, even just the ones on the Dojo. I've talked to many people who have expressed interest in the new leaked characters and how they are relieved that their favorite characters have not been cut and are returning to the Brawl.

So I've come down to the realization that most of the whining is coming from internet forums, where people are most critical and obsessed with Brawl. Most people who haven't been following the game from day one and don't patrol forums daily are blown away by the things they have seen and heard.

So even though it's hard for those of us who actually appreciate the amount of quality playable characters to stomach those who are complaining about everything in this game, bear in mind that there are millions out there who are still actually excited about the game and the content within it. It seems like an overwhelming majority are saying that the roster sucks, but really, it's just Smash World Forums and other forums that are saying the roster sucks.

The Encyclopedia Dramatica server is going to overload with all the lulz this crying whining "freedom of expression" is going to generate.
Congrats. I'm here in Taiwan where performing Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" can be performed at Karaoke and gets people happy and dancing. By the standards of the music here, it's a pretty rockin' song. That doesn't mean we should all stop laughing at people being rickrolled and contemplate the musical value of the song.

Likewise, by the standards of a bunch of non-gamers and non-smash fans, I'm sure this is a pretty crazy, out-there roster. Good for them. They, however, were not the ones sending in suggestions to the polls, and eagerly anticipating the game. They didn't have better suggestions for the roster - or any at all. They are not the people whose opinions matter on such an issue, as they are not pondering the issue - they are simply appeased from the outside looking in.

I don't know about you, but I'm glad I'm not easily pleased.

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
Ok if the supposed clones are in fact clones that sucks. But we still got tons of original new comers like DDD, Snake, Sonic, Pit and so on. And throw in all the new stages. This is a totally upgraded game. Dont be so pissy because the finally delivery didnt meet your expectations. Imagine if Sakurai had given us nothing in advance aside form the returning cast, and then unleashed all the newcomers on us at once with the game's release. Everyone and their grandma would think this was the best roster ever.

I am also intrigued with ROB. I used to have one when I was a little boy. He looks pretty nasty from the vids, and has a unique move set. What more could we hope for from the guy.

Machineking1313

Smash Cadet
Super Smash Bros. Brawl is the ultimate result of the largest and most ambitious project ever in video game history, spanning several companies, dozens of game designers, and hundreds of artists ranging from animators to composers. The amount of content in Brawl eclipses that of any other game ever made, ever.

The original game had a roster of 8 starting characters, 12 total, and a virtual non-existent single player game. Melee had 26, 20 if clones are discounted; it also added a bare-bones adventure mode, simple though detailed trophy collection, and a handful of side events. Brawl has 41 playable characters. Brawl has a single player campaign that is larger than many entire games. Brawl has more side events, that can be played co-op, even online. The combat has been expanded in every dimension, from things as major as the revamped and vastly superior air dodge system and detailed final smashes to things as petty as multiple taunts. The entire multiplayer experience is online.

The notion that any fan of Super Smash Bros. could possibly be unhappy with this game is not ridiculous, it is completely absurd. It is fundamentally a logical impossibility.

Brawl's roster sucks because you think it sucks.

You have brought this upon yourself, with your irrational hype, deeply unrealistic expectations, and revolting sense of entitlement. Your total ignorance of the game design process is matched only by your absolute lack of respect for the people involved. The self-sacrifice of those individuals, in particular Masahiro Sarukai, continues to be completely ignored in favor of asinine "demands" for arbitrary characters to be put in the game. The self-imposed misery you wallow in is not ironic, but just: it is the immediate result of your hypocrisy.

Masahiro Sakurai is in contention for greatest game designer of all time, and the staff assisting him with this game is incredibly talented and dedicated. Their passion for this game will never be known or fully understood by you. As long as you continue to cling to the childish and egotistical illusion that you could somehow make a Super Smash Bros. game better than those who have defined--and then redefined--what that is to begin with, you will lack the respect that is required to appreciate the game.

Nothing I say will cause these bitter bystanders to change their flawed perspective. The purpose of this is to simple explain to them why they are unhappy, so that they may not be confused when their own anger and sadness contrasts with the emotions of those who are about to play this game for several upcoming years, thousands of hours each. I myself will play with unaltered bliss.

So may you all.
OMG....this is awesome....nobody has respect for the creators of this game it seems like, everyone who complains about this game are clearly fat, spoiled, poumpus, delirious, disturbed, angry at their parents for not getting that BMW to pick up hot chicks with, et etc..... SSBB is the greatest game of all time, a huge huge feat....and I gurantee, this is the last one.....at least for 7 years I bet....so it will probably be the best game ever for more than 20 years.

Gerkuman

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty suprised by the fact that a lot of people expected the magical Sakurai Fairy to magically take the names at the top of the poll and add them into the game just because people want them. Should he really have to pander to our every whim? I have an example of a game that failed just because of that.

It's called Shadow the Hedgehog.' Fans' wanted a darker story, so the production team gave them a bleak one. 'Fans' wanted weapons in the game, and angst, and Rouge to become shadows GF even though Knuckles was in there first. (Um, ok. That one had nothing to do with the fans.) In the end, most of the people who bought the games hated it, because they weren't in the loud minority who wanted these changes.

Now, I'm not calling the development team 'Sonic Team', or saying anything about the people here being 'fans' or even saying that you shouldn't be a bit dissapointed with the roster (Because I was). All I'm saying is that if you thought Sakurai was going to read the poll and implement everything in it, you were setting yourself up for a gigantic dissapointment.

soulz

Smash Cadet
But you would think that the favourites of the poll would have been implemented in the game, i think some of the characters on the poll that are now in were lower? If i'm mistaken, then dw.

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty suprised by the fact that a lot of people expected the magical Sakurai Fairy to magically take the names at the top of the poll and add them into the game just because people want them. Should he really have to pander to our every whim? I have an example of a game that failed just because of that.

It's called Shadow the Hedgehog.' Fans' wanted a darker story, so the production team gave them a bleak one. 'Fans' wanted weapons in the game, and angst, and Rouge to become shadows GF even though Knuckles was in there first. (Um, ok. That one had nothing to do with the fans.) In the end, most of the people who bought the games hated it, because they weren't in the loud minority who wanted these changes.

Now, I'm not calling the development team 'Sonic Team', or saying anything about the people here being 'fans' or even saying that you shouldn't be a bit dissapointed with the roster (Because I was). All I'm saying is that if you thought Sakurai was going to read the poll and implement everything in it, you were setting yourself up for a gigantic dissapointment.

Excellent point. And its not like new characters are easy to whip up. Sakurai himself said each one has over a hundred attributes that need to be well balanced. He's put enough work in 39 playable characters. Be grateful.

Spellman

Smash Ace
Congrats. I'm here in Taiwan where performing Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" can be performed at Karaoke and gets people happy and dancing. By the standards of the music here, it's a pretty rockin' song. That doesn't mean we should all stop laughing at people being rickrolled and contemplate the musical value of the song.

Likewise, by the standards of a bunch of non-gamers and non-smash fans, I'm sure this is a pretty crazy, out-there roster. Good for them. They, however, were not the ones sending in suggestions to the polls, and eagerly anticipating the game. They didn't have better suggestions for the roster - or any at all. They are not the people whose opinions matter on such an issue, as they are not pondering the issue - they are simply appeased from the outside looking in.

I don't know about you, but I'm glad I'm not easily pleased.
This is still far beyond some of the best stuff Nintendo has delivered, I don't see why it's such an issue. Some of the top characters on the polls made it, and it's not like it was promised that any of them were going to make it in the first place.

I'm a *huge* Smash, Nintendo, and video game fan, and I'm loving it so far. Seriously, I've been a serious Nintendo gamester since 3 years. I can imagine the other supporters of this roster are as well. I can see someone going: "Aw, Geno didn't make it.", but to release an entire fury of rage over this roster is beyond me, because really now, it's not so bad. Character roster included, this game is a top tier effort. I'd pay triple the price of a 1st party Wii game to get it (even though Nintendo would never do that), just to support the effort that has been put into this game.

But who am I to say? Nobody can change each others feelings towards something really, if someone doesn't like something, it's not like someone can come along and make a revolutionary speech that will somehow change everybodies feelings towards any subject matter, especially when this is opinions on how much people like things.

Anyways, the point I was trying to make is, to the people who aren't disappointed with this game, they aren't alone. It's not only the select few who are supporting the roster on this forum who like it, there's legions of people anticipating Smash Bros. who will embrace the character selection, so there is no need to worry for them.

xXx_KidIcarus_xXx

Smash Apprentice
I completely agree with you Thinkaman, and everyone else who is spitting out their dummy because ridley isn't in, or ROB IS in, and you're all having a go at sakurai because he doesn't obey your orders like a dirty little servant, GIVE HIM A BREAK! he has been working his butt off for years creating one of the most anticipated games of all time, this game is infinitely larger than melee, new modes, new characters, not to mention the gigantic storyline in SSE, and you're all saying he doesn't care? that he doesn't think about it's fans? i don't think you all realise just how much work him and his team put into creating brawl, for all the people that loved SSB and Melee, yet you still refuse to be happy?!?! well more fool you, i am completely happy about the WHOLE roster in Brawl, i don't care that ridley isn't in, or that geno isn't in, i don't even care that Wolf is YET another fox clone, i just won't play with him. So why don't you all try and create the next SSB installment, come back in a few years and tell me how easy it is, THEN you can have a go at Sakurai for "not caring", 'cos i'm pretty sure he cares a million times more about Brawl than you ever will.

Rash

Smash Ace
I like how people are complaining and judging the game when they haven't even played it yet.

Who knows? When you actually pick up the game and play, some of your disappointments may disappear.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
I completely agree with you Thinkaman, and everyone else who is spitting out their dummy because ridley isn't in, or ROB IS in, and you're all having a go at sakurai because he doesn't obey your orders like a dirty little servant, GIVE HIM A BREAK! he has been working his butt off for years creating one of the most anticipated games of all time, this game is infinitely larger than melee, new modes, new characters, not to mention the gigantic storyline in SSE, and you're all saying he doesn't care? that he doesn't think about it's fans? i don't think you all realise just how much work him and his team put into creating brawl, for all the people that loved SSB and Melee, yet you still refuse to be happy?!?! well more fool you, i am completely happy about the WHOLE roster in Brawl, i don't care that ridley isn't in, or that geno isn't in, i don't even care that Wolf is YET another fox clone, i just won't play with him. So why don't you all try and create the next SSB installment, come back in a few years and tell me how easy it is, THEN you can have a go at Sakurai for "not caring", 'cos i'm pretty sure he cares a million times more about Brawl than you ever will.
very well said...and ur right (^^)v just because a certain character is either in or out, that doesnt mean he doesnt care about the fans? I mean was i upset that a Popular Character in Japan we all known as Stafy confirmed to be an AT? a ittle yes.... but was I angry with Sakurai about it? no..in fact i was just happy about the fact that Sakurai even considered to put Stafy in Brawl.....ROB Haters need to STFU because they didnt see much of what ROB can do....and Ridley fanboys need to STFU too because all be it he's not a PC...but he still makes a goddam fricking appearance......so nuff complaining ...be happy were getting this game, and who knows? maybe a character yur bashing is one that u will like in the future

DumHonkey

Smash Cadet
Is there away to ignore constant whiners? I really like the roster and the game elements, and smashboards, but I don't feel like hearing idiots compling how Geno should have been playable or some stupid comment like that.

"Boo Hoo... Ridley is only a boss." How lame.

I am more pumped than ever for this game. Anyone smash from Daytona Beach Area? I'd love to set up a tournament and hand your *** too you in a month or so.... (or get my *** handed to me. Which ever. It's all in fun.)

TaikaAli

Smash Apprentice
Great thread man love you. I dont understand people why cry about brawl roster when they didn't cry about melee roster. If someone didn't like melee roster its pretty obvious they aint going to lie brawls.

Samochan

Smash Master
The fact that Sakurai ate his own words made this even worse experience for me to find out fox has 2 clones instead of all round better characters like krystal and ridley...

Sakurai said "no clones, more villains and more female characters"... guess we only got the villain part... *sigh*

It is also remarkable how Sakurai is so lazy to even give wolf a proper moveset, just when does wolf use star FOX equipment in the games aka final smash? >_> I thought that Landmaster was liek, one of Slippy's inventions or stuff used by Star Fox team only, never seen wolf do anything else than fly an Arwing (that has different desing than star fox arwings).

J18

Smash Journeyman
wait i'm a little behind here, but why was the 35 character roster accepted as true?

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
Your points are all very vaild. I'm slightly bummed out becuae of no Krystal or Ridley...but I'm happy ROB is in. The fact that clones are in kind of bothers me too.

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
wait i'm a little behind here, but why was the 35 character roster accepted as true?
Because it's been proven true. Where have you been? We've been getting screenshots and video from multiple sources for days now.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
very well said...and ur right (^^)v just because a certain character is either in or out, that doesnt mean he doesnt care about the fans? I mean was i upset that a Popular Character in Japan we all known as Stafy confirmed to be an AT? a ittle yes.... but was I angry with Sakurai about it? no..in fact i was just happy about the fact that Sakurai even considered to put Stafy in Brawl.....ROB Haters need to STFU because they didnt see much of what ROB can do....and Ridley fanboys need to STFU too because all be it he's not a PC...but he still makes a goddam fricking appearance......so nuff complaining ...be happy were getting this game, and who knows? maybe a character yur bashing is one that u will like in the future
We're the customers. We are right. You are right. He is right. We can complain about the game if we want to. You can praise the game if you want to, but, YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT US COMPLAINING!!

If I feel the Roster sucks, I'm allowed to say it, and it sucks.

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
Even is Rob is, by English standards, a waste of a character..

It's still just ONE character.

Considering how amazing most of the other characters are, if there had to be SOME trade-off for the amount of perfection filled in this game, I'll gladly take ROB.

KraidGuy

Smash Ace
Phaaze. I am a mercenary of the Dark Hunter. Hel
The roster sucks. End of story. This can't be the entire roster (at least, I hope so)! For all we know, this could be just the beginning! Sakurai said himslef that MOST of the characters in the game would be unlockable in the SSE. And so far, I only see ROB, Toon Link, Lucario, Ganondorf, and Luigi. There HAS to be more.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
ROB is going to be one of my mains, just to spite the whiny little punks.
I've seen only two reasons why people want to main him

1. "Omgz I'm such an uber Nintendo fan I'm going to main him cuz he is Ninty history!1"

2. "I'm going to main him because everyone dislikes him"

Really that just goes to show how much of a mistake he is. :laugh:

I'm not whining. On the internet I am realist who calls things like I see them, no matter how many emotional apologists get upset.

It really isn't the end of the world that such a mistake managed to get in Brawl, but I'm going to call ROB what he is, a mistake.

PWtCB

Smash Cadet
Brawl's roster sucks because there is no Ridley. End of story.
Boo Frikken hoo. Are you gonna cwy T_T?

I really don't see what people are pissed about. Sure, I really find Ridley awesome and I would of loved it to see him as a playable character. I would also have liked to see Megaman and Geno in too. But, they aren't there and there is NOTHING we can do about it. Crying and whining and sending angry letters to Sakurai or Nintendo won't change a thing. Let alone posting angrily in forums. Sakurai and many other developpers have worked alot on this game so that we may enjoy it. Yes, they could have put more significant characters in it instead or R.O.B., but they did what they did for a reason. Possibly a bad one, but that is not our concern. I don't like R.O.B. but I don't whine about it because he is a unique addition to the brawl fighters even though not many people likes him.

P.S. Chuck Norris for SSB 4 lol ^.^

Radial

Smash Rookie
Contradiction!

The Brawl roster sucks because it has worthless characters like ROB who could've been replaced by someone better.

Our expectations you called irrational were rational on the basis of your first paragraph. They were realistic on the basis of your first paragraph.

The roster sucks because it contradicts with what Sakurai wanted. He wanted more villains and more female characters. We got 0 new female characters and 0 new villains (wolf doesnt count because he is more of an anti-hero)

The roster doesnt suck because we 'made' it suck. The roster sucks because of people like you.

:)
Wario, metaknight, and the king arn't villians?

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
You really are dense, aren't you?
I'm dense because I pointed out how hypocritical your post was? Thanks for your 2 cents. Anyways, I'm all about this roster. I mean anything that might increase the percent of emo kids cutting their wrists at night is good thing, feel me?

Fawriel

Smash Master
I'm dense because I pointed out how hypocritical your post was? Thanks for your 2 cents. Anyways, I'm all about this roster. I mean anything that might increase the percent of emo kids cutting their wrists at night is good thing, feel me?
So basically you are dense and you have a disturbed personality.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
So basically you are dense and you have a disturbed personality.
Hey man, be sure to use rubbing alcohol before you get started. You wouldn't want to get an infection lol. And if disturbed is laughing at people who are too whiny to deal with x character not being in the game then yeah sure I'm disturbed lmao.

Let's be serious here, the roster owned ever since Samus was confirmed hahaha.

turbo_ja

Smash Apprentice
meh i'm pretty satisfied, i think it'd be cooler if i had unlocked it all and be like HOLY **** there they are; the surprise factor. Honestly, i don't see what the big deal is with the roster, i think its fine. Just the way it was shown to us through a span of 1 year via the brawl website, made our expectations INCREASE as we got new characters released to us. Its not that the roster is bad, its just that we're too fixed on having more than what new stuff is given to us, thanks to brawl.com

Fawriel

Smash Master
Hey man, be sure to use rubbing alcohol before you get started. You wouldn't want to get an infection lol. And if disturbed is laughing at people who are too whiny to deal with x character not being in the game then yeah sure I'm disturbed lmao.

Let's be serious here, the roster owned ever since Samus was confirmed hahaha.
Wow, nice opening line. Did you steal it from 4chan or your little brother?
Yes, it's disturbed. You are nothing but a little internet sociopath who thinks he's witty.

If you can only think in such narrow categories as "those who disagree with me are totally dumb yo" and "I'm so smart", please leave the internet. Or, even better, the planet.

Note: I was starting to get used to the roster and I never cut myself and don't intend to. You just happened to remind me of a whole lot of people who act like you who are a waste of perfectly good carbon and other elements. If my accusations don't actually apply to you, feel free to disregard them. If they do, feel free to ignore them as you would ignore anything else that questions your sovereignty.

Haha, it's really kinda inappropriate going off like that on you. Count it as a general statement, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom