• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why are level 9 cpu's impossible to beat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laos Oman

Smash Cadet
Level 9 Mario Bros. are a pain to fight in my experience. The rest of them, not so much.

There was one match against a level 9 Zelda, me playing Ice Climbers. She uses her d-air spike (sweetspotted) to knock me out of Squall, I tech it, and she immediately follows it up with her Lightning Kick. And she got both Climbers with that combo. Eep.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
I've had bad luck with a few of them... I find that it varies largely with which characters you fight.
There's a rumor that the AI learns button presses from the players... I haven't seen this in action myself.
i wouldnt doubt that crap. I am an edge fighter, i play over the pits and around the ledge. First game i play vs lv9 computer, insanely easy unless its Climbers (some reason them suckers just kick my butt every time). Then i play another, now I'M the one getting edge-hogged. I did Final Destination against a Falco (4th game in a row) and he was leaping down below the ledge to smack me with his shield before i could do Lucario's up-b move, then up-b back to the ledge. i couldnt believe it, the computer was beating me at edgehogging!

But i blame all the holycrapness on lv9 computers to the reaction time. They dont have reaction times, thats how quick it is. Players or lv6 computers you can juke or lure, lv9s .... HA fat chance it'll backfire 99% of the time.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
They can be devious at times, but usually i just end up laughing at their pathetic attempts. The most formidable level 9's are Jigglypuff, Lucas, Toon Link, Link, Olimar, Snake, and Ike. There are a few more, but most of the rest are just pushovers.

A good tip is to start at level 5's and work your way up. Do a stock match with 3 lives, 3 minute time limit on final destination with no items. Once you can beat 3 level 5's in a free for all match, increase the level up. If you're having trouble winning against 3 other CPUs, drop it down to 2 or a 1v1 match.

Eventually you'll be able to beat a level 7 CPU in a 1v1 match. Then you'll progress up until you get to 9. Now the best way to beat a 9 is to study how they fight. Try watching some CPU only matches. The only disadvantage about CPU only matches is they seem to want to hug each other instead of beat each other up at times. Don't worry--that's what the time limit is for.

I started my training by doing a free for all match against level 5s with 99 lives in Hyrule Temple, back in the days of melee. Now i can beat 5s without getting damage. It just takes practice, and you have to set up your matches accordingly to make sure you aren't putting too much of a challenge on yourself. Another good practice is doing Classic mode on various difficulties. Once you find the difficulty that you can't beat, fight those level CPUs. The highest difficulty only has a few level 9 CPUs--most are level 8s.

Again, it just takes practice. If you've already chosen your main guy that you want to master, then all you have to do is practice, and practice, and practice, until you can beat 3 level 9s on a team against you.

Oh and by the way, don't EVER put items on until you can beat your CPUs without them. Items give them an advantage, and if you become accustomed to playing with them on, you'll be at a disadvantage when they aren't available. It's better to learn with them off, then learn them, instead of vice versa

Or you could not waste time learning how to beat CPUs and actually play people to get better.

BSP

Smash Legend
Most people would recommend avoiding cpu's. They have bad habits (air dodge after ever single hit) and they dont play anything like a real player. If you don't have online, can you go to offline stuff? cpu's will only make you worse.

Vrael i laughed at that quote

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
Level 9's aren't unbeatable. Hard, maybe, but you cant fight them and win.. It's all based on how good your judgement is. So try playing Game and Watch(joke).

highfive

Smash Lord
Unbeatable?

I just 3 stocked a Snake and his gay friend Olimar. What are you people talking about? Edge guard, charge a smash or just CG to final death. It's not that hard.

BnC-Missingno.

Smash Rookie
erase your brawl data, start over and watch as the lvl9CPU's practice the same stuff they did before you erased your data.
I backed up my save and then erased it. It doesn't make a difference. They almost always use the same strategy.

Level 3's are closest to a human's reaction time, 14-15 frames.
It's actually been recorded as Levels 3, 4, and 5.

And plus, I bet people who say they can beat them just do a 1:00 Brawl, K.O. the CPU once and then dodge everything it throws at them for the rest of the round.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
All you have to do is pick Zelda and spam Fsmash/jab then din's fire them to death when they're at high %

Astartes

Smash Rookie
Cpus are just different than humans. they sometimes can do stuff we can't but mostly they are predictable and insanely easy to kill..... or r they?

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Cpus are just different than humans. they sometimes can do stuff we can't but mostly they are predictable and insanely easy to kill..... or r they?
They airdodge every single time they get KBed far away. This is why you can spam Din's fire and they die.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Only reason i even play against computers is because i am currently deployed and have no wifi strong enough to play online (MAJOR SUCKAGE). No i am not in Iraq, before someone asks.

Lv8/9 computers are unjukable and untrickable. Lot of my gameplay is luring people to the edge then doing the do-or-die battle in midair over a pit. Computers dont fall for that, and when they do, they jump off and die on their own. Try it, sit on the ledge and dance around vs a Marth or something, betcha he kills himself.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
For me Level 9 CPU are challenging although I win 99% of the time using my Main but when using a character that don't play with that much its more chances of getting defeated.
Level 6 is best to start off at with the characters you like to use then just keep moving up when you feel that you have gotten better.

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
I can beat 3 on a team without team attack and your saying you can't beat one?
If that's the case, then either you use computer "cheating" I.E. luring them to their deaths or to scenarios that leave them open that they fall for 100% of the time, or you just have a lot of time by yourself and are next to worthless playing humans. Seriously. There's no way somebody could do that AND be a viable tourney competitor to make it even past the first brackets...

And if you ARE decent against real people, then holy crap, you are inhuman, man. Either that or just have a great memory and/or multiple personalities.

Plummn

Smash Cadet
I've spent over 7 hours today trying to beat one, yet never succeeding. Wtf, man, what causes this? What are your experiences with level 9's?
Uh, you can't beat one level 9? I find these guys too easy now. I usually just push them off the side of the stage the edge hog them. *POOF* Dead in less than 30 seconds.

Davy Jones

Smash Ace
I can almost beat a level 9 at 100 handicap. Cmon people! Just lock this thread. 75% of ppl here can beat level 9 with one hand tied to their back!

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
yeah, but I must admit
Luigi, ROB, and G&W are annoying, the rest is easy as pie

Fijoe

Smash Journeyman
I hate lvl 9s. I can beat them, but every time I try to punish one of their laggy moves they powershield my attack then grab me >.<

Atomic Yoshi

Smash Apprentice
level 9's are impossible. they have the ability to powershield everything but they don't cuz they don't wanna be too hard. They just let you win.

Qarano

Smash Cadet
Well it seems that they learn advanced techniques from replays. I once saw a video of a level nine snake DACUSing everywhere.

Qarano

Smash Cadet
I thought they learned from button presses in mid-match...
both. They are relentless. However, there was a project some time back where a group of people formed a network where they shared replays of advanced techniques, in an attempt to make their cpu enemies way harder. I don't know if it succeeded or not.

Zozefup

Smash Lord
Is this thread a joke? lol

I 3 stock every level 9 without taking any damage... with every character.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Is this thread a joke? lol

I 3 stock every level 9 without taking any damage... with every character.
this thread is ages old and needs to die. Leave it alone, its lost its spizzaz already.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
both. They are relentless. However, there was a project some time back where a group of people formed a network where they shared replays of advanced techniques, in an attempt to make their cpu enemies way harder. I don't know if it succeeded or not.
They're cheating ****s is what they are.

Why would people want harder AI?

Humans are clearly the best.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
They're cheating ****s is what they are.

Why would people want harder AI?

Humans are clearly the best.
Agreed they cheat. I've had computers hit me at times i swear to god was suppose to be a stun. I had Samus land a Fsmash in my face while doing Lucario's triple neutA attack. I hit twice, she hit me, i died. Wtf, how you get the time inbetween those quick hits for a smash?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
ive noticed that after they lose one stock they sometimes change strategies. Luigi is by far the toughest level 9. I can beat them all pretty consistantly except Luigi, i dunno why but hes just really good lol
its cuzz hes wiggly :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom