• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Who's gonna win MLG Dallas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.J.

Smash Master
The current top 8 players (by seeding) do not enter the first bracket. They sit around and do nothing. The 256 person bracket plays out as a normal MLG, just without the top 8 people in it. When that bracket gets down to 8 people (4 in winners, 4 in losers) that bracket stops immediately. At this point the 8 players that are left from the first bracket enter a second bracket called the "pro" bracket. This is where the top 8 seeded players were waiting. We now have a 16 person bracket. 8 people that were waiting and the 8 people who came through the "amateur bracket" (4 from winners, and 4 from losers). These 16 people play out the bracket like normal, and top 8 of this one gets money.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
This feels very confusing.

I get that amateur bracket decides the other 8 players.

But whats this about "starting" in a certain round in champ bracket, is that for "bye" reasons or something? Champ bracket is still double elimination right?

Also the money thing: you do not get awarded prize money for placing top 8 in amateur bracket, but you do if you place in amateur, and THEN place top 8 in champ bracket, correct?
]

Okay, what C.J. said explains things better... So basically, bracket ends right at top 8 placements in amateur, and top 8 from seeds are thrown into the mix, and people who have lost will still only have one more loss away from being eliminated entirely. That's what I want to know. And it's obvious that the money is not distributed to top 8 of amateur in any form.

EDIT AGAIN: There I get it, so top 16 man bracket just works like this: top 4 get to round 2 winners like Co18 said, and it's reset back to double elimination, anyone's game. Got it.

I think I got it now...right?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Well, there's one more catch. If you are one of the 4 in the loser's bracket in the Amateur top 8, then you will continue into Losers Bracket in the champ Bracket, kinda as if you lost to the top 4 seeds.

CO18

Smash Hero
yeah which is lame should be anyones game after the final 16. win 1 match and guaranteed 1k lol dumb

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Well, there's one more catch. If you are one of the 4 in the loser's bracket in the Amateur top 8, then you will continue into Losers Bracket in the champ Bracket, kinda as if you lost to the top 4 seeds.
When that bracket gets down to 8 people (4 in winners, 4 in losers) that bracket stops immediately. At this point the 8 players that are left from the first bracket enter a second bracket called the "pro" bracket. This is where the top 8 seeded players were waiting. We now have a 16 person bracket. 8 people that were waiting and the 8 people who came through the "amateur bracket" (4 from winners, and 4 from losers). These 16 people play out the bracket like normal, and top 8 of this one gets money.
This is why I get confused. I thought for a second that it was an entirely new bracket, not some dumb "continuation" bracket. What da frack? So if I lose once, just once in amateur, and then make it past other players in my seed placement, then I am still only allowed to lose once even after moving onto a new bracket with new players and players that I've faced and beat before? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. (to me.)

Sorry I guess I still didn't understand, now I know I guess, but I sure don't like it.

I know your trying to figure out what seed you may play, but it's a tad more complicated than that. Read below for an in depth explanation on how the Open and Championship brackets will work. The way you described it is not necessarily true as you will find out while you read below:

When 8 Players remain in the Open Bracket (4 Winners Bracket Players & 4 Losers Bracket Players), the Open Bracket will end and each Player will qualify for the Championship Bracket.

Players without an Open Bracket Match loss will start in Championship Bracket Winners Bracket Round 1. Players who lose a Match in the Open Bracket will start in Championship Bracket Losers Bracket Round 1.

In the Championship Bracket, Players with Automatic Bracket Qualification will be seeded ahead of Players advancing from the Open Bracket. Players advancing from the Open Bracket without a Match loss will be seeded ahead of Players advancing from the Open Bracket with a Match loss. Championship Bracket Players seeded 1-4 will start in Winners Bracket Round 2. Championship Bracket Players seeded 5-8 will start in Winners Bracket Round 1.

Players will be seeded for the Open Bracket and Championship Bracket using the following criteria in this order: SSBB Pro Circuit Rank Points and SSBB Online Qualifier Rank Points. Ties will be broken using the next available criterion or randomly if necessary.
After reading the Q/A topic finally at the last page, I get it now completely. Still stupid I agree with CO. But let's go anyways. See ya all there! (gunna hope to god I didn't jynx myself by talking about all this as if it matters to me XD!)

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Here's a visual I made for people that don't understand the Championship Bracket:

[collapse=Bracket image collapsed by Pierce to not stretch the page]

[/collapse]

Excellence

Smash Champion
TKD as well as Anti is in the top 98 or even 99 percent of players. Evidence HEAVILY suggests that even if TKD might lose to Will or Junebug in a head to head MU, he is better than both of them, and has greater accomplishments (kinda, Junebug did just beat Larry)

Also, you are unlikely to be able to find 10 out of 1000 players that can produce for me the results of TKD, and consistently defeat him.

EDIT: Uh, Excellence

A LOT OF PEOPLE ALREADY HAD A SHOT, but for most people (virtually all MKs) M2k and ADHD were auto-lose. This makes things way more easier for the MKs, and a whole bunch of people all together. Those players you listed are many of the best, but there are PLENTY of players who can defeat any of them, and it all depends on bracket. Obviously, the ones sitting in Championship Bracket have a huge advantage already, but it's anyone's game.
When the results thread for MLG Dallas displays the winners, quote me on who I said has a chance.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I love how the absence of the two players most likely to win makes everyone feel like they have a shot, even though they don't. Really, certain people are just going to move up somewhere between 0 and 4 spots with them gone. RichBrown, Ally, Anti, DEHF, UltimateRazer, MikeHaze or ESAM have a shot.
When the results thread for MLG Dallas displays the winners, quote me on who I said has a chance.
Even if this was the exact line up, to imply that many other skilled players, such as Gnes, TKD (is he even going?), Dojo, Seibrik, Nick Riddle, Fatal, Atomsk, Lee Martin, etc, don't even have a shot is simply ignorance and blasphemy.

Excellence

Smash Champion
Even if this was the exact line up, to imply that many other skilled players, such as Gnes, TKD (is he even going?), Dojo, Seibrik, Nick Riddle, Fatal, Atomsk, Lee Martin, etc, don't even have a shot is simply ignorance and blasphemy.
I forgot to name Lee Martin. No, the others do NOT have a shot unless some outstanding turn of events happens. You know this, I know this.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
What bracket program was that? It looks really cool
Thanks. <3

It's made by hand; I run double-elimination tournaments in another community (not Smash-related), and I prefer having Losers' and Winner's Brackets run in the same direction, as opposed to TIO's style of opposite directions.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I'M EXCELLENCE I DON'T THINK ANY PREVIOUSLY ESTABLISHED PLAYER CAN DO WELL

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Anyway...I'm winning this, or at least getting top 3. Pikachu is 2gud.

beatjsr

Smash Rookie
oh wow!! too much hype about this! Well, im rooting for TKD! And yeah, mexicans opinion is way too biased, they don't considered him as the best player in mexico.
Btw i'm a mexican smasher, and i've played TKD and waymas, i can easyly tell TKD i way too much better player!

Cheers! (:

Ally Fanboy

Smash Rookie
If I had to bet my house on 1 person to win, it'd probably have to be Ally. He's the best player I've ever seen BAR NONE. Realistically, I don't think there is way he can get anything less than 1st at MLG Dallas. He is going to crush Texas EASILY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom