• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who would YOU have added, if you were Sakurai?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
How 'bout add every realizable fighter request? Sure, that's hundreds of fighters, but at least not as many people will be disappointed.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Shadow was all I wanted and still want for the next game...but for now I go with Amy

KafkaKomedy

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 8371 3981 5803
It seems most people kinda ran away with the rules and just did whatever so screw it, I'll do the same!

:ultlink: - Change him more! Replace Boomerang with Lizal Forked Boomerang, have Up B be Revali's Gale, and give him that Sneak Strike as a Smash attack.

:ultganondorf: - Replace his specials. All 4. Light Tennis, maybe a trident move, teleport/shadow magic... So many options. C'mon Sakurai... Erm, me...?

:ultsheik:/:ultzelda: & :ultzss:/:ultsamus: - with the advent of Shield B, give these guys back the ability to change mid-match! Since this is a shield B this still keeps Pkmn Trainer's gimmick of having the swap function as a dodge tool.

:ultdarkpit: - Declone my boy! KI deserves the 3 reps it has, but I feel like Echoes only sorta count, so give Pittoo a Cannon, a Palm, a Sword and his Dark Pit Staff.

:ultdoc::ultyounglink: & :ultpichu: Clone these boys! They're basically echoes taking up full character dev time, stop that!

:ultisabelle: - Make her more unique! Give her a new Fair, Bair, Dair, Uair and Final Smash. All of them really don't fit her character in my eyes.

:ultchrom: - Make him an echo of two characters simultaneously. Here me out. Roy's stats, no sourspots, but keep half of Roy's moves, and replace the other half with Ike. They already started on thid, I say we go all the way.

:ultpiranha: - This is clearly a character just Sakurai and his team wanted, so I'd replace him with a character I feel would be fun to develop and I want. If Quote fell through, than maybe a Nintendo character like Tethu, Springman, DeMille, Mach Rider etc.

:ultincineroar: - Go for either a Gen 3 rep or, if GF forced my hand, a non-starter. Gardevoir, Golisopod, Marshadow, Lurantis, Metagross, etc. Incineroar was fine, but predictable, and we need less starters.

:ultken: - Replace him with either Protoman or Bass. Ken is just too predictable, and I feel like another MegaMan rep would be awesome, especially since it was added in base while SF was added in DLC.

And finally, give it maybe another 6 months in the oven to add back in 1 or 2 chopped modes and a highly requested character like Geno or Isaac.

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
:ultinkling::ultkrool::ultridley::ultsimon::ultken::ultdarksamus: stay
:ultincineroar::ultpiranha: replace with Isaac and Waluigi
:ultisabelle: keep but as an echo, use resources to instead add Elma (assuming Rex and Pyra were too late)
:ultdaisy::ultchrom::ultrichter: replace with Impa (Sheik) and Gardevoir (Mewtwo), and cut the third one as Isabelle now takes their place to keep the same number of echoes

But if I were Sakurai I wouldn't have brought everyone back in the first place.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I would replace :ultincineroar: with Darkrai since I feel like Pokemon needs more legendary/mythical reps than starters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Lately, I've been reading a lot of disappointment around Ultimate's roster: I mean, it's ok to have opinions, and it's ok and fun to argue, but I'm afraid we aren't really understanding what the game offers to us. We have 74 characters, coming from all sorts of games and eras. I think that people were appreciating the roster way more before :ultisabelle:, :ultincineroar:, :ultken: and :ultpiranha:'s reveals, but that's just because maybe your most wanted characters didn't get in. And I understand: my most wanted newcomers were Skull Kid and Dixie Kong, and neither of them got in. But still, I'm happy with the characters we have, even if Skull Kid and Dixie Kong don't end up being in the roster even as DLC. Not having my favorite characters doesn't make the ones we have less exciting.
So here I am "challenging" you: who would YOU have added, if you were Sakurai? Keep in mind a couple of simple rules:
1) You can remove as many newcomers as you want, but not veterans. The whole point of Ultimate is: "Everyone is here", so you would basically remove this game's identity.
2) When you remove an Echo fighter, you can't bring a unique newcomer. Echo fighters have some individual special rules:
-:ultdaisy::ultrichter: are basically carbon copies for their original characters: if you remove one of them you have to add an Echo that is very similar to the original fighter (e.g. I remove :ultrichter: and add Alph, who's basically an alt. costume for :ultolimar:).
-:ultdarksamus: is a weird case: she has many different animations than :ultsamus: but they share almost every move. You are allowed to add echoes with different animations and similar moves (e.g. Shadow, who is most like :ultsonic: but with a different dashing animation and stuff).
-:ultchrom: is moderately different than his base character. You can add an echo that borrows a couple of moves from another fighter (e.g. I add Impa and I give her :ultzelda:'s neutral and up B).
-:ultken: is almost a unique fighter. You can add a character that greatly deviates from the original, as long as they share a similar body build (e.g. I add Dixie Kong).

Here's my take, and it will be very short: I remove :ultpiranha: and I add Dixie Kong

Now it's your turn!
I'd do basically all what you did!! Nice man!

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I was fine with most of the Smash Ultimate newcomers

Literally, all I would change, is replacing :ultkrool: with a Rhythm Heaven character, and maybe have :ultganondorf: revert to his Twilight Princess design

Last edited:

MetaGiga

Smash Apprentice
I’d probably be fine with cutting :ultchrom::ultlucina::ultdaisy::ultyounglink: :ultincineroar::ultdoc::ultdarksamus::ultpichu::ultdarkpit:and adding some characters from the games where there’s not many from when there’s plenty to choose from. Like how :ultwario: is the only one in the WarioWare games and :ultshulk: is the only one from Xenoblade.

So in that retrospect, I’d add in Waluigi, Fiora (Xenoblade), Ocelot (Metal Gear), Paula/Kumatora (Earthbound), Louie/Brittany (Pikmin), Knuckles (Sonic), Magnus (Kid Icarus), Dixie Kong, and Dracula (Castlevania)

Ninten (BBs)

Smash Rookie
Here is what I would add if i was sakurai.
Paper mario (either a seperate character or an echo of mario)
A playable master hand
Super Monkey (From NinjaKiwi)

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102
Remove Chrom for Shadow,
Remove Lucina for Lyn,
Add Hector as a possible echo for Ike,
Add Bandana Waddledee,
And finally, just remove bayonetta.

*kisses air* perfect game.

(Ok, if removing Lucina is a bit overkill, she can stay. Just not Chrom)

Last edited:

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman
My roster is:

1. Inkling
2. Ridley
3. Daisy (with unique moveset)
4. King K. Rool
5. Simon Belmont
6. No Echo Fighters (Clones are fine but Echoes add no variety and end up bleeding into another character)
7. Animal Crossing Tom Nook over Isabelle - People undervalue just how big a series Animal Crossing is, and Tom Nook is the series' most iconic character. Yes, Isabelle is like the new mascot, but she appears in way less games.
8. Waluigi - Incredibly iconic character who appears in inumerable spinoff Mario's alongside Daisy.
9. Paper Mario
10. Isaac from Golden Sun
11. Chibi Robo
12. Dixie Kong
13. Minecrafter
14. Ken - He's a way better addition than people say because he's unique and represents more Street Fighter.
15. Shadow the Hedgehog (unique moveset)
16. Crash Bandicoot
17. Cut Incineroar, Pirahna Plant, ... and Joker

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Remove Incineroar, Isabelle and Piranha Plant.

Add Decidueye, Ryu Hayabusa and Arthur [GnG]

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I would have just added Bandana Waddle Dee and Shadow as a Sonic echo. Kirby needs its 4th character and Sonic was always the most deserving in terms of having two reps for a 3rd party.

NintenEdgyMan

Smash Apprentice
I have already expressed what changes i would make in this same thread before, but my opinions have changed since. I am going to try to be non-biased but there is still going to be some bias.

Characters i would keep: :ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultkrool::ultpiranha:(Joker)
Echoes::ultdaisy::ultrichter::ultdarksamus::ultchrom:
Reworks: :ultisabelle::ultganondorf:
Removed::ultincineroar::ultken:

Let me just clear up that i like Ken, but i like the other echoes more.

Now that it is cleared up what i would do, lets look at reworked characters.

I'll take the already existing character :ultganondorf:. How am i going to change him? Taking the extra work from :ultisabelle: by making them an almost identical echo and give the extra work to :ultganondorf:. I would replace Warlock Punch with Deadmans Volley (lightning tennis), make him be able to float for a short time like :ultpeach:/:ultdaisy:, and make his f-tilt a trident stab.

Here's the new characters: Issac and his echo Felix. I haven't beaten the original Golden Sun nor have I even touched Lost Age, and i know they have big flaws, but they are classics. They have massive fanbases and kind of deserve to be in the game.

Here's my reasoning for the other characters:

:ultinkling::ultridley::ultkrool::ultsimon::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultisabelle:(Joker)- These characters had GIANT fanbases and deserve to be in on popularity alone (yes, even Joker. Some people just aren't very vocal about him.)

:ultrichter::ultchrom:- Both of these characters have niche fanbases mostly in Japan. Richter is actually very popular in Japan while Chrom has niche fans all around the world.

:ultpiranha:- He's so creative and it's so unusual in an awesome way. Having a personality-less basic enemy opens the door for so many new characters, new ideas, and cool art.

:ultganondorf:- Unique Ganon has had more of a fan base over the years than actual characters. How is he still a Falcon semi-clone? He's like the second most iconic villain in gaming. He deserves more.

:ultincineroar::ultken:- I actually like Ken, but i feel like that's all it is for most people. "Yeah he's aight". As for Incineroar, screw him. No Pokemon fan likes him.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Keep:
:ultinkling::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultken::ultincineroar:

Newcomers that would not have been added:
:ultdaisy::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultisabelle:

Echo replacements:
Octoling for :ultdaisy:
Masked Dedede for :ultrichter:
Dark Meta Knight for :ultchrom:

Fighter replacements:
Bandana Waddle Dee for :ultsimon:
Magolor for :ultisabelle:

Character downsizing:
:ultdoc: becomes an echo of :ultmario:
:ultyounglink: becomes an echo of :ulttoonlink:
:ultpichu: becomes and echo of :ultpikachu:
:ultroy: becomes an echo of :ultmarth:
:ultlucina: becomes and alternate costume of :ultmarth:
:ultzss: switches with :ultsamus: using Shield + B
:ultsheik: switches with :ultzelda: using Shield + B

Additional newcomers:
Marx
Adeline and Ribbon
Hilda - :ultzelda: echo
Lyn
Waluigi
Viridi
Black Shadow - :ultfalcon: echo
Ninten - :ultness: echo
Dixie Kong - :ultdiddy: echo
Slippy
Peppy
Looking back, i should probably explain some of my decisions:
Keep :ultinkling: because they were a given anyway
Keep :ultridley: and:ultkrool: because they were super popular.
Keep :ultdarksamus: because it probably would have taken too long to make her/it unique anyway
Keep :ultincineroar: because he's cooler than Decidueye anyway.
Edit: Remove:ultken:, honestly I'm not feeling it with him.

Removing:ultchrom: because Fire Emblem already had more than enough fighters and Awakening doesn't need 3 fighters.
Removing :ultsimon: and :ultrichter: because they don't interest me and I'm done with third parties for the most part.
Removing :ultdaisy: and :ultisabelle: I also don't find them that interesting and their series were already well repped IMP.

Adding Octoling because they'd be cool and Splatoon could use more than one fighter.
Adding BWD, Magolor, Marx, and Adeline and Ribbon since Kirby could use a few more fighters and they'd all be unique.
Adding Masked Dedede, Dark MK, Hilda, Ninten, Dixie, and Black Shadow because they're the most interesting and unique characters I can think of that could be clones w/o backlash.
Character downsizing should be obvious.
Edit: Removing the Sheik/Samus switching because character switching is lame.
Lyn because she's the coolest FE fighter I can think of.
Waluigi should be obvious
Viridi because she's literally a goddess of nature
Slippy and Peppy because having the Star Fox quartet would be awesome.

Keglu

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-8440-5021-2355
I would add Rex, Pyra and Mythra, and maybe Jin from Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I guess I will have to wait until the next Smash title comes out with some of them in the new roster.

Gryphon827

Smash Apprentice
if I were Sakurai, I'd put more of my own characters in the game, primarily from the Kid Icarus games (since there are already a lot of kirby reps). I'd give Dark Pit a unique moveset, make Phosphora playable, and add Viridi, Hades and Magnus as playable characters. I'd also chuck in Marx, because he'd be a really fun and unique character.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'd swap out :ultincineroar: for Decidueye, and :ultdarksamus: for Galacta Knight as a Meta Knight echo. The rest of the roster is perfect.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Time to be mean.

Sure are a lot of nobody characters I've never heard of people are suggesting. I don't envy Sakurai at all with how little people agree on who belongs in the game. Like, Majora's Mask is my favorite video game of all time but I still have the perspective to know that Skull Kid is nowhere near an important enough character to deserve to be in Smash.

You know what I would have done? Since :ultpiranha: is clearly a joke character, something so arbitrary and outlandish that no one could have possibly predicted it was coming, I would have added a Tetrimino. Yeah, that's right. A freakin' Tetris block. That would have gotten the same dumbfounded reaction as plant while also representing a major part of gaming history.

VENUS

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-0668-8162-9311
Once I found out they were doing echo characters, I was super excited because there was a chance of Jeanne being added in as Bayonetta's echo fighter!!!!

Alas, that did not happen.

I felt like that was a SUPER big, missed opprotunity on Sakurai's part. It would have been fun seeing Jeanne using different weapons or different techniques within the game. Not only that, but the Bayonetta franchise is lacking some representation, so Jeanne would have been the perfect remedy to that situation.

Ionno, when I found out about echo fighters, I REALLY had my hopes up for Jeanne, but unfortunately, shes not in the game :(

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I would've liked a couple echo fighters, or even just costume fighters (is there even a difference?). In some ways it feels underutilized, since it does take so much less effort to add an echo/costume than a proper character. That said, I don't necessarily want it to reach the point of say, Super Mario Crossover, where the character select is more of just a class select with a dozen skin options under each one.

At one time I wanted different skins for characters instead of different colors, or at least different outfits like in Hyrule Warriors. But that would be quite a bit of modeling work. Being able to pick different incarnations of Mega Man or different Zeldas throughout the series would be cool, but would it be cool enough to merit the effort? Probably not.

Shadow, Proto Man/Bass, and Octolings come to mind as potential easy reskins. Dixie Kong I imagine would be Diddy with Donkey's recovery, but who knows how good of a character that would even make.

grizby2

Smash Lord
I would have loved to see:

shantea
Banjo and kazooi
Geno

shantae, just cuz I really like her.

banjo and geno, for the fanz. just give it to us sakurai!

BowserKing

Smash Lord
If I were to change the roster, well

With shield B in effect, We could have transformation characters back

So with my changes, :ultsamus:/:ultzss: and :ultzelda:/:ultsheik: would be back in action, leaving 2 slots left.

Actually, with the idea of :ultdoc: being a possible alternate costume, it would be 3 slots.

As for my choices of newcomers

:249: being one of the 2 new Pokémon, as we needed another legendary, and one from Generation 2 at that.

Shadow as either an echo-fighter of :ultsonic: or a pseudo-echo, as we needed another sonic character

Midna as the new Legend of Zelda represenitive, plus she has a transformation move just like :ultsamus: and :ultzelda:

As for character changes, :ultbowser:'s shield would be replaced by him using his shell for cover. Plus he can talk as well. Bowser's up special has him curl into a ball and ram opponents upwards, and increases Bowser's recovery as a result. (While Bowser is my smash main, some people wanted to see Bowser change a bit)

:ultmario:'s F.L.U.D.D would be a new item, with Mario's down special having him uses his hammer

Keeping all of the newcomers as well.

Buuhan

Is mayonnaise an instrument?
hmm, remove chrom, daisy, ken, incinoroar, plant.

Add bomber man, Mrs Pac-Man echo, add geno, add waddle dee, add Steve from Minecraft... that’s it.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I would have added Mimikyu, Skull Kid, Sukapon and Dixie Kong. Richter basically tainted Simon's hype so I wouldn't have added him nor Ken. I would have kept Charizard solo and saved a Pokémon slot for Mimikyu. Joker wouldn't be in.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
:ultganondorf:- Unique Ganon has had more of a fan base over the years than actual characters. How is he still a Falcon semi-clone? He's like the second most iconic villain in gaming.
2nd most iconic Nintendo villain? Yes. 2nd most iconic gaming villain? Nope. That would have to be Dr. Eggman followed by Sephiroth. I like Ganondorf more than those guys, but let's be honest they're more iconic to more people than the king of evil is.

Last edited:

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I'd make a poll and take the actual top 10/15 characters (minus meme characters) and add them to smash.

And i'd throw in Cooking Mama, for the funnies.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
I was also thinking that 2 of the Mii's spots could be merged and the 2 empty spots could be given to Fawful and Dixie Kong

That is all I got for now (for the safer route)

UserKev

Smash Champion
Time to be mean.

Sure are a lot of nobody characters I've never heard of people are suggesting. I don't envy Sakurai at all with how little people agree on who belongs in the game. Like, Majora's Mask is my favorite video game of all time but I still have the perspective to know that Skull Kid is nowhere near an important enough character to deserve to be in Smash.
Why does this make me cringe? Haha

Eh, the importance merit has been long since established and shouldn't be nitpicked. MM is a groundbreaking game so really, that'd be his pass and they'd know him from said game. You can argue a handful of newcomers since Brawl are barely important, but became important because of Super Smash Bros.

No other characters with a few other suggestions will ever be as important as the original Smash roster and Melee's. A roster with majority important characters is the criteria, but not the whole damn roster needs to be "Important" :facepalm:

D

Deleted member

Just Crash Bandicoot to the current roster.

That's all I need to make Ultimate my personal best game of all time.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Eh, the importance merit has been long since established and shouldn't be nitpicked. MM is a groundbreaking game so really, that'd be his pass and they'd know him from said game. You can argue a handful of newcomers since Brawl are barely important, but became important because of Super Smash Bros.

No other characters with a few other suggestions will ever be as important as the original Smash roster and Melee's. A roster with majority important characters is the criteria, but not the whole damn roster needs to be "Important" :facepalm:
My opinion of Skull Kid has changed since that post, as I've been reminded that he was canonically in Ocarina and apparently also implied to be in Twilight. Three mainline game appearances is more than any other Zelda character besides Tingle, so I'm now down for Skull Kid in Smash. Assuming we don't get Tingle.

My opinion that standout importance matters greatly has not changed, however.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Yeah, because Piranha Plant wasn't more out of left field than 90% of these characters, and half of these are meant to be a joke.
I mean Piranha Plant wasn't exactly a one time enemy but has showed up in almost every Mario game in some way with several variations, and there is a ton of originality in the way he fights.

Dan

Smash Lord
I mean Piranha Plant wasn't exactly a one time enemy but has showed up in almost every Mario game in some way with several variations, and there is a ton of originality in the way he fights.
I've kinda gotten over it, but I still don't think it was a good choice for a character -- all I learned is anything is on the table as long as it's from a video game and is sentient.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Piranha Plant was a joke meant to catch the Smash community off guard and should be treated as an exception in any discussion.

Top Bottom