• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who needs help with Combos, Damages, Advanced Tactics for Falco, etc.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Well, I think a better counter to being pillared is sidestep > shine anyways.

Thanks, guys. I guess I'll try to learn to double shine with control stick... how many of my hours will I waste attempting to do so, I wonder?

Jem.

Smash Master
I was wondering, is there a trick to shine>turnaround>wavedash to ledge?
I would say that you should practice on FD in practice mode running at the side of the stage, short hop laser turn around onto the edge. If you can do that, you should be able to shine turnaround wavedash to the ledge.

And Kash, it's actually quite easy I find it with joy stick. Cause I wavedash/waveshine/jump, everything, using joy stick.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
shine, dair, laser. oh, and about every other move he has (except fair and maybe throws). but the shine, dair, and laser make him near broken.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
i'm actually really bad at this technique, but don't really see a point in doing it. also, just do it w/ whatever button combonation you want to. I end up using every button on the controller, and both sticks in all directions, and the d-pad up, down. (use d-left/right while playing samus sometimes, but when i'm doing that it's just to be fun w/ swds.)

Zelda_Fan_

Smash Journeyman
I have a question. I seem to SHFFL dair a bit too much. Is this bad? I recently tried using Falco and for most of my kills I SHFFL a dair, they pop up a bit and I SHFFL another dair, and if they are by the ledge they usually slip past it and get spiked. I use this a lot on approaches to. I find it effective but I was just wondering if pros would just find me too predictive and own me somehow, lol.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
it's not inherently bad to use them a lot, just don't use them predictably (which is hard to do if that's the only thing you do, but possible).

the CRAB

Smash Cadet
agreed. and mix up what you do after the SHFFL'd dair. follow with a shine once in a while. and lead your approaches with some spammed SHL's to make it a bit safer.

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
i have problems with my shine.. whenever i shine im like stuck.... any particular tips on it... like if i try to wave dash i occasionally full jump.... ( and i can wave dash perfectly with no problems) but after a shine its like wtf... any tips on jc shines other than just jump faster im guessing?

ooh and tips on ehdl or w/e. im finally getting the hang of it but my first laser is way to high and thats the most important one...

Enzyme

Smash Apprentice
What button are you using to jc with? It doesn't matter a lot, but I know I'm significantly faster going from b to y rather than x.

leechy9

Smash Cadet
i need help on waveshining, i just cant get it down. i can wavedash, and i can shine. its just the jc on the shine into the dash.

leechy9

Smash Cadet
i also use x as my jump button, but i dont think thats the problem. i just dont see how people wavedash with shines in between constantly. i have everything else down.

Secks.

Smash Ace
Hey Dashizwiz if your still out there lol. Have you come up with anything new with your Falco? I know your really innovative with Falco as well. Just curious if you have been working on some new technique or combo. I know this threads been kinda dead for a while now but it used to be awesome, like two months ago. Keep asking questions guys. t.t

Kumori

Smash Apprentice
What button are you using to jc with? It doesn't matter a lot, but I know I'm significantly faster going from b to y rather than x.
I use down b then up on the control stick to cancel shines and multishining.

MrBitter

Smash Apprentice
i have problems with my shine.. whenever i shine im like stuck.... any particular tips on it... like if i try to wave dash i occasionally full jump.... ( and i can wave dash perfectly with no problems) but after a shine its like wtf... any tips on jc shines other than just jump faster im guessing?

ooh and tips on ehdl or w/e. im finally getting the hang of it but my first laser is way to high and thats the most important one...
This is a common problem and it's not neccessarily easy to remedy without just sitting down and working it out.

Here's why it happens.

When you're working shine combos, you're fingers are in turbo mode. You want to JC that shine as fast as humanly possible so that you can get to the next part of your combo.

Falco's wavedash, though, doesn't take kindy to rapid button inputs... His jump animation is a little bit slower than is normal, and there's a short lag between his jump startup and the time that he can air dodge.

If you try to input the JC, Wavedash at the same speed as the rest of your combo, you're going to full jump and the air dodge retardedly.

You have to make a conscious effort to input the wavedash correctly. If you already know how to WD, then you know that with Falco, there's a distinct rhythm to the input. So you need to be able to combo rapidly, and then fall back into that rhythmic wavedash after every shine.

It's one of the more difficult aspects of Falco at first, but like anything, comes easily with just a little bit of practice.

leechy9

Smash Cadet
lol its not what ur thinking. i know the rhythm, its just that everytime i jc the shine. falco short hops out of it and just lands on the ground, no matter how fast or accurate i am on the wd. it's just weird. i get down all of the combo's and stuff with marth easily its just that this one doesnt seem to work on my version of the game. i have version 1.2, but i have no clue if that has anything to do with it.

MrBitter

Smash Apprentice
I suspect that you're hitting R/L too soon, and the input isn't registering...

If that's absolutely not the case... then I can't offer any additional advice.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Yeah, MrBitter's probably right, That's what ends a lot of my fox combos, but i've been getting it better. Don't really have that problem w/ falco, since i don't move my fingers in turbo mode, cause he's a lot slower... but turbo mode on you're fingers can ruin combos. and is a very common side effect of shining.

EDIT: Great job Shiz @ pound btw. i hope someone got vids from the tourney and they'll be up soon.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Freaking hot signature, scotu. Haha.

Anyways, question. I notice that most of the time, if not all the time, the more advanced Falco players double jump really quickly after a shine rather than a full jump. I know this is better, and I can kind of answer this question myself but I want to hear what you have to say, but why? Also, how should I do it? Double tap X real quick or hit up on the control stick and then X in rapid succession? What would you recommend?

MrBitter

Smash Apprentice
How you jump is really about what your comfortable with... I use both depending on the situation, but X is the one I use more frequently.

As for the why... That's a little bit more difficult to explain. Approaching with a quick double jump isn't neccessarily better than approaching with a SH or a full jump, it's just another situational approach to add to your game. The true logic behind it really falls back to spacing and mind games. It's also not uncommon to jump into your opponent, recognize you have a bad angle, adjust by using your second jump, and then continue your attack...

That's my explanation at least... Good question. Maybe some other guys have additional input.

Zeron

Smash Apprentice
Holy shiz, Shiz. How do you multi-shine on the ground so well? O_o
1:22
Probably the first Falco user I've seen who's implemented such a feat. :o

MrBitter

Smash Apprentice
Holy shiz, Shiz. How do you multi-shine on the ground so well? O_o
1:22
Probably the first Falco user I've seen who's implemented such a feat. :o
Fast fingers ftw... Shiz is like... superhuman when it comes to double shines. If you're a lesser player than he (like... everyone) you can try jump cancelling your shines with the control stick. It's a little easier, IMO, to do quickly than to use your thumb to go back and forth from B to X/Y.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Freaking hot signature, scotu. Haha.

Anyways, question. I notice that most of the time, if not all the time, the more advanced Falco players double jump really quickly after a shine rather than a full jump. I know this is better, and I can kind of answer this question myself but I want to hear what you have to say, but why? Also, how should I do it? Double tap X real quick or hit up on the control stick and then X in rapid succession? What would you recommend?
You can fastfall faster out of your doublejump as compared to a single fulljump. Therefore, makes you more manuverable, and also makes wavelanding easier.

For example, you can't shine -> fulljump -> dair -> utilt most of the time. Instead, you have to doublejump to ensure that you hit the ground before them so you can utilt.

emanon

Smash Rookie
in that same video above is Dark just not tipping on the first two Fsmashes or is Shiz just using DI to get out of it? maybe upwards DI? i duno... i dont know much about di.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Hey Dashizwiz if your still out there lol. Have you come up with anything new with your Falco? I know your really innovative with Falco as well. Just curious if you have been working on some new technique or combo. I know this threads been kinda dead for a while now but it used to be awesome, like two months ago. Keep asking questions guys. t.t

I've been working on some new stuff. That has to do with Lasers, and combos etc. You'll see some of my new vids from Pound. You'll see me vs Tink, and me vs Drephen. I do play kind of different now.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Shiz is definitely Tech skill top tier, but it isn't ridiculously difficult to do 3-4 jc shines... plus they're not all *that* useful. They can be put to good use, but there's often better stuff. I still prefer the multishine though.

blackbird

Smash Cadet
yo shiz. this is tron from the hub. you still didn't tell me who you lost to at pound.....haha...anyway. How do i practice j.c. shining. and what type rhythm of is it?...

SCOTU

Smash Hero
*knows he's not shiz, but wants to help anyways (and has multishining skillz)*
move finger from y/x >b. once you press y/x, exactly 5 frames later, (or 1/12 sec) press b.

blackbird

Smash Cadet
1/12 of a second huh....that's pretty f-in fast...also explain to me what multishining is or show me a video of someone doing it.

also how do you do a shine to an edgehog without doing forward b...i've done it a couple of times but i've never have been able to incorporate it.

Lit

Smash Ace
A shiz i saw a couple other falcos play and i notice that forwards falco shines to a waveland on platfroms.. Is that usefull at all or no...
how do u think of your combos.. i mean really your combos are to good

Top Bottom