• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who needs help with Combos, Damages, Advanced Tactics for Falco, etc.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
its sad when mang0's liek fourth best character is considered one ofhte best on the WC

not to take away from mango cuz hes good...but stilll

Binx

Smash Master
Doesn't mean his Falco isn't still better, you don't need to main a character to be better with them than people around you.

PB&J

Smash Hero
ill just say forward and mango then..zhu doesnt impress me..i just wanted to know what u guys thought...binx..whats good...who else do u use besides icy's..i use icy's ,nana,fox and falco

Binx

Smash Master
I use ICs, Fox, Sheik, Marth, Falco, Puff, then Peach, thats my best to worst as far as characters I'm pretty decent with.

My Fox is probably better than my ICs simply because he is so much easier to play, but I have a lot more room to improve on my Fox than I do on my ICs, then Sheik cause she is crazy easy and plays a lot like Marth who I used to main. Marth next cause I used to main him for like a year and a half, and all the best players in my area play Marth so I am familiar with his spacing and set ups. Falco next, its pretty close between Sheik and Marth, I sometimes make poor decisions cause I'm more used to Fox, but overall I think I do alright, I never bothered to learn ledge hop double lasers or anything though, so it limites some of my off the edge options ha. Puff and Peach are just both pretty simple characters who can beat a lot of people if you can make yourself camp.

I always enjoyed playing lots of characters, it gives you some good insight into the match ups as well as teaching you character specific strategies than can apply to other characters. For instance the way you move with Fox can help you move better with ICs, or the way you edgeguard with Sheik can help you learn to edgeguard better with Marth. Things like that.

jwkirby64

Smash Journeyman
anyone else have this glitch?
i u-aired some what of a distance from fox
all of a sudden, without me hitting him, fox just dropped as if i did a d-air, he took damage too

might have been invisible ceiling from the hit b4 the attempted u-air tho

Smash Journeyman
How do you guys JC Shine? The way I do it is by taking the joint of my right thumb, placing it between A and B, and then pressing B with the joint of my thumb and Y with the front of it. I can only get off 2 JC Shines this way.

CommanderCody08

Smash Apprentice
So I hear its possible to shine combo people off the top on low-ceilng stages like Yoshi's, ect...

I really have trouble with it though. Is it only possible from the highest platform, or am I shining them in the air before my jump reaches its full height?

Also what are some other stages this is possible on (surely not most stages)?

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
So I hear its possible to shine combo people off the top on low-ceilng stages like Yoshi's, ect...

I really have trouble with it though. Is it only possible from the highest platform, or am I shining them in the air before my jump reaches its full height?

Also what are some other stages this is possible on (surely not most stages)?
well you can do the shine combo or you can do up-b combo which i think is a billion times sexier.

basically just get them in the air then shine them in the air, jump cancel and up b and aim for them

do that and youll be pro

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Unsticked per request of Mogwai,

This thread does not receive heavy traffic anymore and as such can be viewed normally.

PB&J

Smash Hero
i love how shiz returns and now its unstickied, but u make a point even though i will never lern anything from mogwai..no offense ..do ur thing

Rannskita

Smash Journeyman
im fairly new to falco so im just being a noob, but can you do anything straight out of a jump cancelled shine? i knew you could re-shine after cancelling a shine (or wavedash or jump), but i just did a usmash straight out of it. i believe ive seen this before in vids, but i thought it was a standstill wavedash>usmash. so hows this work, what can i do out of a jc shine?

PK Webb

Smash Champion
when pillaring the full hopped dair sometimes falco wont fast fall so when do i start to fast fall is it fter the hit or during

DUB

Smash Lord
I'm just now returning to Melee and my tech-skill isn't all that. I've got a few questions about a controller set-up:

I use tap jump for pillaring. This will probably change to X or Y.

I've been teaching myself to use X lately because I've found it's much better then tap jump obviously. I haven't gotten too familiar with it yet because I've used tap-jump my entire smash career. I am having a lot of trouble wave-shining with Falco. I can do it pretty consistent with Fox however. My question is, is it my timing, or controls that are messing me up. I know a lot of the Falco mains feel Y is the best jump button to be used for everything. Thanks in advance.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
I'm just now returning to Melee and my tech-skill isn't all that. I've got a few questions about a controller set-up:

I use tap jump for pillaring. This will probably change to X or Y.

I've been teaching myself to use X lately because I've found it's much better then tap jump obviously. I haven't gotten too familiar with it yet because I've used tap-jump my entire smash career. I am having a lot of trouble wave-shining with Falco. I can do it pretty consistent with Fox however. My question is, is it my timing, or controls that are messing me up. I know a lot of the Falco mains feel Y is the best jump button to be used for everything. Thanks in advance.
It doesn't matter what button you use. This gets asked way too much to be honest. Just use what you get comfortable with. Zhu and I both use X pretty much for everything. So it doesn't matter whether you are using X or Y.

metashinryu

Smash Ace
YO! u r my favorite falco player and i got some questions 4 u:

1st:the SHL should be done for short approaching or distanced?

2nd:what is the shine use? im good with falco but my primary use is his aerials i only touch the b button 4 lazers and comeback XD

3rd:how the hell do you pillar? all the time i try to do it he never jump outta shine maybe im jumping too early or i need to keep b pressed while jumping, it never ends shine animation in time...

4th:i cant seem to phantom stall everytime i do it falco stalls down the edge or makes it over the stage :D

5th:my friend tells me the firestall is better done by shine jump out of shine to firestall and he will grab smoother i have seen him doing it and it looks flashy XD

Vegard

Smash Lord
so... how do you perform the shield trick on platforms? where you automatically land aerials when you get hit off the platforms. i can pull it off, but it doesn't happen as fast as you do it

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
Since Mogwai is leaving, and it doesn't look like there are a lot of other knowledgeable Falco players here, I will take over and answer the questions that I can for the time being.
YO! u r my favorite falco player and i got some questions 4 u:

1st:the SHL should be done for short approaching or distanced?

2nd:what is the shine use? im good with falco but my primary use is his aerials i only touch the b button 4 lazers and comeback XD

3rd:how the hell do you pillar? all the time i try to do it he never jump outta shine maybe im jumping too early or i need to keep b pressed while jumping, it never ends shine animation in time...

4th:i cant seem to phantom stall everytime i do it falco stalls down the edge or makes it over the stage :D

5th:my friend tells me the firestall is better done by shine jump out of shine to firestall and he will grab smoother i have seen him doing it and it looks flashy XD
1. Both. SHL is your most important technique as the blue bird. You use it to pressure, approach, camp, retreat, edge guard, keep combos going, get in safely, build up damage. In short, if you aren't doing anything else, you should be shooting lasers and using them to space yourself in a mobile manner.

2.Yay, People get a taste of my honesty. If you think you are good with Falco, and do not know when to use shine, you aren't good with him. Shine is Falco's best move with his lasers. You use it an all your shield pressure sequences, combo, combo starters, out of crouch cancels, and the attack from shield (JC Shine from shield). I will go more into this when I am home.

3. Pillar: From Nuetral position you short hop, fast fall, dair, l cancel, shine. That is your standard pillar. There are other mix ups, but just learn to be able to do this consistently against a shield, and be able to react if you get a shield stab.

4. Phantasm stall is over rated. Just learn the fire bird stall, and come off with invincible lasers or wavelands. Falco doesn't want to be sitting on the edge potentially getting hit. Have you seen his recovery?

5. You can do the shine drop method. The method I use is I roll my control stick away off the edge, then up really fast to do the firebird. I always found it more simple to do than the shine method.

so... how do you perform the shield trick on platforms? where you automatically land aerials when you get hit off the platforms. i can pull it off, but it doesn't happen as fast as you do it
Run to edge of platform, lightshield. You can angle it slightly over the edge too. Once your shield gets hit though, you immediately do the aerial you want. It just takes practice.

Smackledorf

Smash Rookie
Hey i just saw this epic match of you vs. M2K during the summer of last year and I gotta say, you are my new favorite Falco. (if anyone also would like to see this match here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXWfubQPwB4&feature=channel_page )

I have a question though, whenever I do the LHDL, I can never get out two lasers, or I just shine, or if I ever do get it right, it's never the same height. What do I do?

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
oh and this may seem like a dumb question, but how does SHL in general, give you "control" over a match?
Think about it fundamentally. When you shoot a laser, what is it doing? Bad players will say causing damage. It's far more than that. The hit box is long and fast. When you shoot a laser, you momentarily control all the horizontal space that the hit box occupies. While that hit box occupies your opponents hurt box they have two options. 1) Get hit. 2) Shield. You can't dash dance when there is a laser, you can't attack. You have to move yourself above the laser to do anything that doesn't really involve getting hit or shielding.

So in essence, you are controlling a match with lasers because you are "occupying" a large amount of horizontal space and options by shooting a laser.

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
Think about it fundamentally. When you shoot a laser, what is it doing? Bad players will say causing damage. It's far more than that. The hit box is long and fast. When you shoot a laser, you momentarily control all the horizontal space that the hit box occupies. While that hit box occupies your opponents hurt box they have two options. 1) Get hit. 2) Shield. You can't dash dance when there is a laser, you can't attack. You have to move yourself above the laser to do anything that doesn't really involve getting hit or shielding.

So in essence, you are controlling a match with lasers because you are "occupying" a large amount of horizontal space and options by shooting a laser.

best post i've ever read ^^

Rannskita

Smash Journeyman
Hey i just saw this epic match of you vs. M2K during the summer of last year and I gotta say, you are my new favorite Falco. (if anyone also would like to see this match here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXWfubQPwB4&feature=channel_page )

I have a question though, whenever I do the LHDL, I can never get out two lasers, or I just shine, or if I ever do get it right, it's never the same height. What do I do?
basically you havent got used to the input yet. the reason youd not get two lasers out is that your probably too slow in getting off the ledge then rejumping (or less likely youre slow in starting pressing b after jumping). the reason you shine is because youre still holding down while youre trying to laser. i learnt to do it automatically by changing the speed in training mode, but however you do it youve just gotta practise the button sequence until you can do it automatically in a pressure situation. as for the level of lasers, itll be affected by how fast you pull off getting off the ledge > jump. i personally do down > jump > laser > di onstage, but if youre not as fast or faster you could adjust by trying out different jump timing, or dropping off the ledge with down cstick, or side analogue stick.

Top Bottom