• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is the Best Marth right now?(Mew2King excluded)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beat!

Smash Master
at what point did I say "beat said this"?
Well, you quoted me, so I figured it was a response to me... >_>

Maybe I do speak in absolutes but....some things I think are evident I guess aren't. Others are just opinions of mine in which case I usually say I think or I feel or based on what I can see...something like that.
Well, that's a much better way of putting it.

as for the Human cap for Marth. Aside from things like Spacing, Powershielding, Shield drop, shield dI, and AT's that every other character can do as well. What else is there to do with Marth himself?
But why is there a need for other "ATs"? Why can't Marth's own tools be enough to keep him amongst the best characters? What is it about the entire concept "ATs" that makes Marth's lack of exclusive ones a major hindrance to his future development?

i honestly think powershielding is overrated. im pretty good at it and after awhile your opponent just starts reading it and baiting you to do it. it super useful for forcing opponents to come at you but its not gonna make the match up that much easier.
What happens when you use it offensively, as in, for example, WDing OOS towards him into *something* after PSing?

Mahie

Smash Lord
you shield and then press -> or <-. Then you press down.
Yeah man, I meant specific situations when he likes to use it.

@Icy : Lol thanks man. It depends on whether I play with trigger trick on or off, actually, I'm learning to do it without the trick right now, just gotta get used to slamming down the trigger.

Marth is easy to powershield with if you do crouch powershield + trigger trick by the way.

Beat!

Smash Master
So you never get the PS--> WD OOS --> surprise tipper when he's/they're far away? I try that every once in a while, with fairly decent success (not to mention that it's absolutely hilarious when they're at low percents).

Metakill

Smash Journeyman
Watching M2K vs Jman i was thinking
Somepeople say Taj > M2K
only 'cuz taj beat pp at G2.
Well..
We need Mango (Fox) vs Mew2King (Marth)
If M2K take at least 2 stocks.... M2K > Taj :troll:

Just saying :troll:

the_CAM_factor

Smash Journeyman
the ct smash ludus... or ecsu when im at school
i wavedash oos grab after a ps, the falcos i play always shield because they expect that and get their shields up in time. i feel like if i powershield a laser it should just award me with more frames of hitstun, cuz than that would make life alot easier =]

m2k without a doubt has the best vs fox game of any marth

Mahie

Smash Lord
Mahie what do you mean by trigger trick?

:phone:
I'll quote AJP on this because he explained it well.
Some stuff I figured out when I first got AR (8 or so years ago?):

Powershield is max 8 frames from the point when you start shielding.
If you press down your shield too slow and lightshield the first frame, you only get 7 frames.
If you press it even slower and lightshield more than one frame, you lose the whole powershield.
If you start shielding before you can actually shield (before a move ends), those frames will count as lightshield frames (more than one and you can't powershield).
"Reflectorshield" works the same way, except it's 6 frames shorter (so either 1 or 2 frames).

Resetting your shield button to disable lightshield will always give you the full 8 and 2 frame windows (though it won't protect you from trying to shield when you can't).

Powershield has the same hitstun as a normal shield, but after the stun is over, you can do whatever you want. So if you let go of your shield before this, you are free to do any ground attack, start running, etc.
Powershield has about the same knockback as lightshield. If you want to stay in range for a shieldgrab, you're better off with a regular strong shield.
"Reflectorshield" has no stun or knockback whatsoever.

edit:
I was wrong about some things,
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=13282543#post13282543
Trigger trick is basically holding a trigger when you plug your controller, disabling lightshield but making sure you never waste those couple of frames when you try to powershield. You can avoid that by just pressing the trigger fast, but it takes some work to get used to that.

Beat!

Smash Master
i wavedash oos grab after a ps, the falcos i play always shield because they expect that and get their shields up in time. i feel like if i powershield a laser it should just award me with more frames of hitstun, cuz than that would make life alot easier =]
Always? Couldn't you just grab yourself a ton of stage control then, and threaten their shield? There may not be any guaranteed follow-ups, but it still doesn't sound half bad.

I'm really curious because even though I consider myself farily good at utilizing PS vs lasers/Falco, I'd really like to explore it more and figure out what is reliable and what is not.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
I think being able to powershield 30% of the time realistically, and just being able to fluidly move OoS for the ones you don't is enough to keep Falco on their toes. If you can establish early that your PSing is reliable, it really ****s up their laser timing and forces them to change their rhythm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_UgsIlHODs#t=0m44s I'm successful in showing that I'm capable of power shielding, and I dictate the pace of the match. At 7:23 I mess up all of my power shields, but I'm still able to move OoS fluidly and the threat of the PS is still there as I'm starting to take more space away from PP.

Being able to powershield just enough to make them think, because the amount of space Marth can take on a successful powershield is just too scary, especially with the strength of his grab game against the bird.

OverLord

Smash Ace
@ Mahie:

Start to try to buffer a shield-drop while being shield-pressured, and Uair.
You'll figure out what you can do after that easily ;).

On Puff is SCARY GOOD if you know how to bait stuff. I like to bait stuff.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
ive already played his fox even though it was just friendlies

i won every game except one out of 4 or 5 friendlies at D1s tournament less than a month ago

but when he played me with falco (right after he used fox), he 2 stocked me every time. There are times I can 3 stock him but he 3 stocks me MUCH more often than I've ever 3 stocked him. On avg he 2 stocks me with falco.

all you have to do against fox is outrange him. It's easy to
-dash dance grab him
-up tilt him
-Uair him
-Fair him

and lead it into stuff

with falco, if you don't have a controller that can powershield well the MU is really really hard

if marth could powershield every time he would demolish falco though

that's what I think

Beat!

Smash Master
I think it's more about how you utilize a successful PS. As Taj said, it's also a mental advantage, even if you don't hit every single one.

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
m2k might not use marth as much as before. he still is the best marth imo. taj is still fking good, but m2k better.

danieljosebatista

Smash Journeyman
I think being able to powershield 30% of the time realistically, and just being able to fluidly move OoS for the ones you don't is enough to keep Falco on their toes. If you can establish early that your PSing is reliable, it really ****s up their laser timing and forces them to change their rhythm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_UgsIlHODs#t=0m44s I'm successful in showing that I'm capable of power shielding, and I dictate the pace of the match. At 7:23 I mess up all of my power shields, but I'm still able to move OoS fluidly and the threat of the PS is still there as I'm starting to take more space away from PP.

Being able to powershield just enough to make them think, because the amount of space Marth can take on a successful powershield is just too scary, especially with the strength of his grab game against the bird.
Good stuff taj. I like those nair to jab combos will have to try that against falco

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Judaism is the best religion Jason. Jews believe in god and all. No Jesus as a savior in our religion. Hell barely exists in Judaism, but it does exist. Christianity is stupid. And your last name is Zimmerman so becoming a Jew is your calling!!

:018:

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Judaism is the best religion Jason. Jews believe in god and all. No Jesus as a savior in our religion. Hell barely exists in Judaism, but it does exist. Christianity is stupid. And your last name is Zimmerman so becoming a Jew is your calling!!

Muslim is way better as a religion.

-Ice-

Smash Apprentice
Let's re Name this thread into

Wich is the Best Religion right now ?
( for mewking)

Ken_Y`

Smash Lord
I'm actually leaning towards Christianity recently like 60/40

too much proof that the miracles did happen and nothing or not enough against it based on the old historical documents
No one can enter the Kingdom of Heaven if it is not through Yeshua ( Jesus Christ )

All power and authority was given to Him

If you believe in the Gospel of Jesus Christ, you believe in The One who sent Him, God the Father

Jesus is the Son of God, The Alpha and the Omega, The beginning and end, and He is the Sovereign Lord forever and ever. Amen

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
M2K DO NOT KILL YOURSELF!!!

Christianity is the ONLY thing that makes sense. There are NO contradictions in the Bible. In fact it is IMPOSSIBLE to DISPROVE God.
Christianity is not a religion!
Christianity is a RELATIONSHIP with God.

God exists.

Has God spoken?
YES.

How?
Through the Bible.

What does the Bible say about being SAVED?

JUST THIS:

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

ALSO

John 14:19
Because I(Jesus) live, you also will live.

ITS THAT SIMPLE.

Please PM me.
NO to all of this. Christianity is a religion like every religion brought about through ******* making religious text, stealing from another religion (In this case Judaism), and then trying to explain every murder through religious actions. Case in point: The ****ing holy wars. Christianity like every religion has no basis for proof. Everything is belief. There is a hard line between proof and belief. And I'm agnostic because it makes the most sense. I don't know if god exists, but I don't know if he doesn't and there is no scientific proof to prove either cases. Agnosticism is the only logical "religion" if it can even be classified as one.

And this thread has had so much M2k **** sucking I swear. Don't pity Jason. Everyone doesn't really care for him. They just admire him because of his in game actions. His out of game personality and actions are that of a child, but he still has some growing up to do. No need to kill yourself Jason, but therapy might do you some good.

Max?

Smash Champion
We shouldn't talk about religion because:

A.) It's based on faith and not facts
B.) It's all made up anyway
C.) No one cares and you preaching isn't going to convert anyone.

So let's talk about some fictitious video game character with a sword instead. He actually has more tangible proof that he exists than god anyway.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
We shouldn't talk about religion because:

A.) It's based on faith and not facts
B.) It's all made up anyway
C.) No one cares and you preaching isn't going to convert anyone.

So let's talk about some fictitious video game character with a sword instead. He actually has more tangible proof that he exists than god anyway.
Yeeeee.

danieljosebatista

Smash Journeyman
M2K, after looking through that FB thread I think I understand better now what your dilemma is. Logically, Christianity doesn't make sense. On the other hand there is overwhelming historical evidence of Jesus's existence and the acts he performed. I would just suggest to keep in mind that what Jesus says in the Bible and what Christianity of today teaches are two entirely different things. I'd even go so far as to say that the religion Jesus taught is no longer practiced. It's much more of a business these days than anything else, like most religions. You should read the book on your own and take from it what you will. But honestly you're too smart to take Christianity as it will ultimately be presented to you by the establishment of the Church itself. Sorry if that offends anyone

Also, on the topic of why Seagull would say that, it's because despite the fact he tells you that you have growing up to do, it's he and others like him that actually need to grow up. They don't care about the pain and hurt that their stupid comments can cause people.

Max?

Smash Champion
I thought I put a stop to this already? There's no point in discussing religion unless you want to throw around a lot of baseless bull****.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
so you understand me better, my entire life i have had very very very little human contact (half of it comes at tournaments, but I don't know how to talk to people and it's my nature to stay quiet), and there is no person i talk to today that I met in middle or high school. That may be why? (that is a guess)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom