• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who else is nervous about Brawl potentially sucking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
The reason you're probably finding yourself with a 100% win rate only with shiek is probably the fact that he's your main. Once you play other characters more your skill with them will obviously go up, increasing them to the bar you set with shiek.
Ya most likely, but shiek is just a comfort character, I never played :p her:p before but when I picked her up a few months back and started maining her I just noticed I was a natural shiek player.

My fox playing is definatly on the rise, I only really enjoy smashing when Its a good match so I work on weaker characters with my crew since my shiek reigns supreme. Not to sound arrogant as I have mentioned I get beaten badly by true pros.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

The thing about Sheik is that everyone's a natural Sheik player, they just don't know it.

I'm still maining the Ganon dude, playing Fox sparingly for the really bad match ups (Falco/Sheik). But dammit do I hate selling out and playin' a high tier...

:-D

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I try not to let tiers bother me. I main whoever fits my style but I've been into Marth and Mario lately while fox has taken a backseat.

I even lost a match with Fox [here come the johns!] because it was FFA with another Fox, on Yoshi Story, I barely tilted my control stick and ran off the edge while doing a fair [instant SD] and then I got gimped when edgeguarding someone I was attacking.

Oh well, such is to be expected in the scrub version of the game. I still rule in 1 on 1s.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^

The thing about Sheik is that everyone's a natural Sheik player, they just don't know it.

I'm still maining the Ganon dude, playing Fox sparingly for the really bad match ups (Falco/Sheik). But dammit do I hate selling out and playin' a high tier...

:-D
I'm not a natural Shiek player (I've tried, and I know=I suck as her), :( but I definitely am a natural Fox player. :) I'm with you Sensai, I hate selling out to the high and mid-high tier characters, but that is where 3/4 of the only characters I really use are at. :ohwell: I've also been playing Marth more, but I still am nowhere near the greatest with Marth=at least I tried, failed, and stopped trying! :laugh: At least I'm still good with Fox! ;)

Plus I changed my main to Fox a few months ago (2 or 3 months ago I think), putting Link in the backseat (even if I have improved my Link play quite a bit). Ya I figured Fox was my best, so I changed gears and changed mains, and I've worked on Falco and Peach a good amount of time too, and I've been gotten wayyyy better with Peach after this 6 or 7 months I've used her.

I've also begun to use Ness, just because I'm sorta good with him, and my friends are like "WTF?" when I use him. Playing as Ness also throws them off because they've never fought anyone who knows how to use Ness=total mindgames. It's wierd, I am randomly decent with Ness, though I still definitely need to improve on him. I'm not really sure if I'll work on him enough to where he's one of my secondaries or not, but I think I'll definitely use him on some occassions at least. Low tier characters ftw! (If only I was GOOD with them)

@ Dylan
Welcome to the Fox maining club! But unlike you, I am not going back to who I mained when I first played Melee, because Kirby just flat out sucks in Melee, and I seriously suck with him sooooo bad, it isn't even funny! :laugh: Seriously, I've only used Kirby at most 12 times after I stopped maining him!

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Welcome to the Dark Side, Dylan. =P

If you ever need any tips on playstyle, PM me and I'll help.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Bump for justice!!!

whats up all? I smashed pretty big yesterday and am really getting the hang of fox the space animal, my new main.

Lemme explain to those of you who will be like ''Omfg dylan, but wtf happened to shiek?!''

I still play shiek, but I dunno what happened or why but now no matter what characters my 3 friends use and they're about on par if not almost as good as me at smash they can NOT beat my shiek, I have 100% win rate and its usually 2-4 stock victory.

But any other character I use I dont have a garunteed win, so I work on my weaker characters, namely fox!

I also love fox because I mained him when the game came out, him and link but mostly fox. I never got any good at him and quit because I couldnt waveshine or drillshine or do any of that fancy stuff...

But now since im not some gay nub anymore obviously I can do all of fox's techniques with ease and im really starting to understand... how... he's played like never before and trying to take advantage of all him moves...

Thats what I like about fox, he has more options than most I find, he's got lasering, triple lasering double jump quadrouple lasering while DIing backward, SH double laser, drill shine, that sexy nair of his, waveshine shinespike, utilt combos, upthrow, downthrow-techchase, the broken up smash, great dashdance, foxtrot... list goes on... oh and I love his waveland.

Falco I find has less attack options than fox in the sense that his playstyle is more mechanical, but I believe falco's playstyle is based around limiting the persons options, SHLing to get them to shield then pillaring, or grabbing, or getting a shine then comboing em and going back to shl, limit and reduce the persons options till they cant do anything, not even shield because you'll bust their shield with pillaring.
/rant
It's good you picked up a space animal since they are so good and all. Also, you will have an easier time fighting space animals since they have advantages over themselves. :laugh: I really like Fox the same reasons you do. The number of options he has is way too good. From his laser spamming, to his superior mobility and speed (which goes along with his wavedashing and dashdancing), to his many options of kill moves, to his jab/grab game, to his great edgeguard game, to his shine (that even try to list all the uses of this), he is just so versatile. 0.o

He is also one if not the only one to have no match-ups where he is countered. Sure there are tricky match-ups, but if you know what you ared doing, then Fox does have the advantage. Anyways, glad you picked up Fox but do not give up on your Sheik. You have a pretty good Sheik. ;)

Edit: Volrec, true that. :chuckle:

Sensai

Smash Master
I mainly said the whole 'top-tier' thing as a joke to get a rile outta someone, although I guess it didn't work. Oh well.

Um...had something else to say, but I cannot even remember it...****.

NES n00b

Smash Master
I mainly said the whole 'top-tier' thing as a joke to get a rile outta someone, although I guess it didn't work. Oh well.

Um...had something else to say, but I cannot even remember it...****.
Even though it was a joke, I sometimes feel that way because I really would like to play Link, Mario, and Luigi at a competitive level because I enjoy playing with them so much. I am a natural Fox and Captain Falcon (also fun :D) player so playing the characters I am better with seems like the natural choice. So I agree with Johnknight but I give in from time to time.

Do not get me wrong, I enjoy playing with Fox but in a different way.
Everytime a play Fox, I feel the power rush of having all these options and mobility that just overwhelms the opponents (at least the non competitive people I play). One more thing; blue hexagon ftw.

Yes the dark side is good. Too tempting. :D

Edit: Forgot to mention above that I cannot play people who are better or equal to me on a regular basis either. Just look at the sig and see how desperate I am. Biweeklies are coming, tho.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Welcome to my world Nes.

Actually I can't play anyone on a regular basis. I have to go to an arcade and meet with my buddies so I can pwn them. The transportation system sucks here, I can't wait till I can drive.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Welcome to my world Nes.

Actually I can't play anyone on a regular basis. I have to go to an arcade and meet with my buddies so I can pwn them. The transportation system sucks here, I can't wait till I can drive.
At least I had friends that were next to me in the dormitory. Not anymore, though. I found a biweekly that is sure to have some good smashers there.

Believe me, I had to fight pretty n00bie friends. I even 4/3 stocked a Samus when I played Bowser and Roy :/.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Wow, my friends are that bad at Smash. And if they were I'd get as bad as them or hide in a dark room in the fetal position.

I used to bring my friends over to play smash so I could train them. It worked up until I had to move, then I moved back and my GC just decided to stop reading games the weekend after I moved back. I was so pissed >=(

NES n00b

Smash Master
Wow, my friends are that bad at Smash. And if they were I'd get as bad as them or hide in a dark room in the fetal position.

I used to bring my friends over to play smash so I could train them. It worked up until I had to move, then I moved back and my GC just decided to stop reading games the weekend after I moved back. I was so pissed >=(
I am assuming you are saying that your friends aren't that bad.
I tried teaching my friends too, but they would moan and say, "I can't do it. What's the use of it (insert any advance technique in place of it). I play for fun, I do not care if I lose." My favorite john though is, "If I get good and start beating everyone, playing smash would get boring." :ohwell:

You know the same Samus I played against went to a tournament and got second place!! This was hosted by the GAMING Association, too. I do not care if they are mostly focused on card games and Dungeon and Dragons. They should at least fight better than average.

While you may think that my friend (and the others) was 4/3 stocked by Bowser and Roy because of advance techniques, the real reason is that b00zer is teh Kutest and Roy has teh Phirez.

Yeahuzzz.............. >__________________>

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
At least I had friends that were next to me in the dormitory. Not anymore, though. I found a biweekly that is sure to have some good smashers there.

Believe me, I had to fight pretty n00bie friends. I even 4/3 stocked a Samus when I played Bowser and Roy :/.
What biweekly? The one in Memphis? Yeah there are some **** good players there. It's a three hour drive for me though.

If you're ever in Starkville (or feel like driving two hours) holler at me. I'm going to be there the rest of the summer.

Superstar

Smash Champion
I can't go to tournaments or biweeklies, cause it would be an environment of cursing, no transportation, and there are almost none around here. Also, my parents are overprotective, and think that I will lose my highly volatile temper everywhere I go [I only get angry when someone is taking advantage of someone, and its non-internet].

So, the only person I get to play is my little brother and a friend. My little brother is now better at me in the game [practically no advance techs, but he's starting to use them, his reflexes with the occasional wavedash are scary, he can almost 0-kill me now], but sadly, that's no variety.

And the friend is a major scrub. He said that there is no point to competetive smash, it lacks all kinds of fun, and the training makes it boring. He also says that the game becomes boring if you win all the time [the point of competetive smash]. The funny thing was that another friend [younger than him, maybe 12], who doesn't even like Smash, agreed with me that competetive smash is fun [he plays sports, so to him Smash has some similarites, he just doesn't like the game of Smash like I dislike Football].

The original scrub is the same one who called me cheap because I switched in Pokemon, and thought he was good cause he beat the elite four [I told him that they were AI, and that everyone beats them]. He then stated that everyone in the game wants to be the best [due to his yelling over phone, I could not state that they were NPCs]. When I called him a scrub and said that a real player would have a better built team with some strategies, he called ME a scrub and said that "moves are moves".

At least my little bro is not a scrub. I should play against him again, haven't for a while. He always DIs out of my combos, better mix them up. Also, Fox is taking me over as well, grabbing attention from my other 3 characters [I dumped Link, not as much fun as Pika, Mario, and Samus].

NES n00b

Smash Master
What biweekly? The one in Memphis? Yeah there are some **** good players there. It's a three hour drive for me though.

If you're ever in Starkville (or feel like driving two hours) holler at me. I'm going to be there the rest of the summer.
Yeah, I am going to the one in Memphis. Me getting *****= me actually learning. I find that in this game the more I see myself improve (learning), the more fun I have. Definitely foing to be fun. :D

Maybe I can come down there if there is like a small break inbetween summer school classes or something.

I can't go to tournaments or biweeklies, cause it would be an environment of cursing, no transportation, and there are almost none around here. Also, my parents are overprotective, and think that I will lose my highly volatile temper everywhere I go [I only get angry when someone is taking advantage of someone, and its non-internet].

So, the only person I get to play is my little brother and a friend. My little brother is now better at me in the game [practically no advance techs, but he's starting to use them, his reflexes with the occasional wavedash are scary, he can almost 0-kill me now], but sadly, that's no variety.

And the friend is a major scrub. He said that there is no point to competetive smash, it lacks all kinds of fun, and the training makes it boring. He also says that the game becomes boring if you win all the time [the point of competetive smash]. The funny thing was that another friend [younger than him, maybe 12], who doesn't even like Smash, agreed with me that competetive smash is fun [he plays sports, so to him Smash has some similarites, he just doesn't like the game of Smash like I dislike Football].

The original scrub is the same one who called me cheap because I switched in Pokemon, and thought he was good cause he beat the elite four [I told him that they were AI, and that everyone beats them]. He then stated that everyone in the game wants to be the best [due to his yelling over phone, I could not state that they were NPCs]. When I called him a scrub and said that a real player would have a better built team with some strategies, he called ME a scrub and said that "moves are moves".

At least my little bro is not a scrub. I should play against him again, haven't for a while. He always DIs out of my combos, better mix them up. Also, Fox is taking me over as well, grabbing attention from my other 3 characters [I dumped Link, not as much fun as Pika, Mario, and Samus].

Man that sucks. Can't your parents give you a break or something. :ohwell:
Maybe you can post videos on the internet so the people in this thread can help you against your little brother. Probably your parents wouldn't let you use the internet for that sort of thing anyways but just a suggestion.

About your friend, yeah he is a really big scrub by the sound of it. I guess he will stay the way he is like all my friends do (and one ***hole). When he complains, tell him the same thing one of my friends told that whiney ***hole scrub, "Do Better." XD

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Yeah, I am going to the one in Memphis. Me getting *****= me actually learning. I find that in this game the more I see myself improve (learning), the more fun I have. Definitely foing to be fun. :D

Maybe I can come down there if there is like a small break inbetween summer school classes or something.
Yeah getting ***** is always fun. Is that biweekly this weekend? I can't go this weekend but maybe some other time I could drive through Oxford and we could carpool. It would add about half an hour for me, but should save some money.

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace

i often forget how god**** awesome it is to have a group of 6 of my mates who are more than willing to spend like halfa day just playing melee, not to mention theres another 3 or so guys who, while no very good, are more than happy to make a go of it. this game is a bloody social experience. freakin awesome.

Superstar

Smash Champion
No, I am not allowed to record my matches and upload them. Actually, for that my mom does not care, but my dad does. But oh well, I'll just have to keep living like this. This is a reason I can't wait for Brawl, cause with Brawl, I will be able to play you, and other people.

Well NES noob, good luck, and get owned [that's what you want].

NES n00b

Smash Master
No, I am not allowed to record my matches and upload them. Actually, for that my mom does not care, but my dad does. But oh well, I'll just have to keep living like this. This is a reason I can't wait for Brawl, cause with Brawl, I will be able to play you, and other people.

Suprisingly, it is. Getting first while being challenged wouldn't be bad either.

Sensai

Smash Master
Aw, **** NES n00b, I was going to go this weekend but my grandparents on both sides decided to come down for the weekened.

That's too bad...

Tera253

Smash Ace

that sucks to have restrictions. TEra used to have them all the time, but since then, apparently she's "matured" or something.
yeah, right...

~Tera253~

blakinola

Constantly Delicious
I'm sure Brawl will be just fine, once the smash community picks apart the game!

From the looks of things, it looks like airdodging is still in the game, so there might be wavedashing. If there isn't wavedashing, people are still gonna play. Cause it's f-ing Smash Bros.

What i'm really worried about is not having items again in standard play. I'm sure the Smash R+D spends a lot of time thinking of what items won't and will be in the game...

...only to have them not be in there. Sometimes it really pisses me off.

Who decided it would be that way for competitive smash? I wanna know, so I can punch them all in the face.

You know what wouldn't surprise me, if there were cooldowns on moves. Like if you use a real powerful smash, you can't use it again for X seconds.

That would encourage some originality in this game, which is what it desperately needs. Not more of the same.

If I had a dollar for every time someone spammed Fox's nair, I could buy Sega. Then put sonic in Brawl.

/rant

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Nobody here is going, I feel alone. :(

Next biweekly then?

Edit: Yes Tera is speaking the third person.
I think some Huntsville kids are going. Watch out for them. They're pretty good. And Chad and Nite will probably pwn your soul. And if MookieRah is going beware of that. Hmm...MookieRah is in Tupelo, which is about one hour from Oxford. And Starkville is about one hour from Tupelo. In fact Tupelo is right in the middle of the route to Oxford. So starting the next biweekly we should form a carpool train. :)

I bet MookieRah would also be up for random Smashing, and I'd be willing to drive an hour for random Smash.

Yay, maybe Mississippi doesn't suck as much as it used to. :grin:

Oh and the reason I can't go this weekend is because my sister is graduating from high school and some relatives are in town for the weekend.

NES n00b

Smash Master
I think some Huntsville kids are going. Watch out for them. They're pretty good. And Chad and Nite will probably pwn your soul. And if MookieRah is going beware of that. Hmm...MookieRah is in Tupelo, which is about one hour from Oxford. And Starkville is about one hour from Tupelo. In fact Tupelo is right in the middle of the route to Oxford. So starting the next biweekly we should form a carpool train. :)

I bet MookieRah would also be up for random Smashing, and I'd be willing to drive an hour for random Smash.

Yay, maybe Mississippi doesn't suck as much as it used to. :grin:
That sounds great and yeah, all of those people would pwn me. My butt is going to hurt all day tomorrow (especially if I get to play Chad early tomorrow). At least I will learn something new. :D

Road trip. :)

Red Exodus

Smash Master

If I had a friend like that all of my anger management would go down the drain in no time. If I talked to him on the phone, by some magical force, my fist would find a way to connect to his face.

Sorry if I seem a little aggressive, but scrubs and stupidity [more like blind ignorance] are the 2 most things that piss me off.

Good news guys, I have 2 new mains.

1) *drumroll* *in melee announcer voice* Bowser.
2) *dumdumduuuuuum* shiek.

Sorry, but Peach pisses me off like no other character, so I had to turn to the hardest counter I could find. It's so satisfying beating Peach to a pulp. *sigh of relief*

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I'm sure Brawl will be just fine, once the smash community picks apart the game!
I'm not entirely sure but optomistic now that Ive seen air dodging back in.

From the looks of things, it looks like airdodging is still in the game, so there might be wavedashing. If there isn't wavedashing, people are still gonna play. Cause it's f-ing Smash Bros.
Ya wding or not people will still play including myself. But so many of us have gotten so used to wavedashing as an essential part of our games that it would feel unnatural trying to obtain the level of play we achieved in melee. By essential I mean that I wavedash almost unconciously and if I try to play without it to get a sense of what its like to be a scrub I find myself physically unable to not wavedash.

What i'm really worried about is not having items again in standard play. I'm sure the Smash R+D spends a lot of time thinking of what items won't and will be in the game...

...only to have them not be in there. Sometimes it really pisses me off.
Scuse me? They just make the items, obviously they know things like hammers and warp stars and home run bats are gonna piss people off. Thats why there's an

OFF

Switch. :)

Who decided it would be that way for competitive smash? I wanna know, so I can punch them all in the face.
Get the heck outta my thread please if you're gonna talk smack like that. If you so much as looked at me the wrong way while playing smash after a comment like that I wouldn't hesitate to show you what's what. **** off.

Did he actually write this? said:
You know what wouldn't surprise me, if there were cooldowns on moves. Like if you use a real powerful smash, you can't use it again for X seconds.

That would encourage some originality in this game, which is what it desperately needs. Not more of the same.

If I had a dollar for every time someone spammed Fox's nair, I could buy Sega. Then put sonic in Brawl.
Wow. Just... wow. Alright, first off.

Repeated use of a move has its own disadvantages wherein it makes you predictable. Hence you lack the ability to confuse your opponent. If you are not confusing your opponent as a means to open up a crack in their defence to attack them then your opponent knows what you are doing. If your opponent picks up on your patterns such as repeated use of a move and knows what he's doing, you will be 3 stocked.

I presume by ''spamming fox's nair'' you mean doing it over and over at least 6 or 7 times. If you mean 3-4 nairs while you're trying to escape or on your shield, then you should just shut up.

Anyhow, by the way you discuss this game you obviously don't play with anybody of significant skill, and if you did then that kind of ''omg u r spammin'' attitude would just drive them away, and lets not forget the aformentioned threat to punch every member of the competitive smash community who does not opt for items as a part of the gameplay in the face.

NES n00b

Smash Master
I'm not entirely sure but optomistic now that Ive seen air dodging back in.

Ya wding or not people will still play including myself. But so many of us have gotten so used to wavedashing as an essential part of our games that it would feel unnatural trying to obtain the level of play we achieved in melee. By essential I mean that I wavedash almost unconciously and if I try to play without it to get a sense of what its like to be a scrub I find myself physically unable to not wavedash.

Scuse me? They just make the items, obviously they know things like hammers and warp stars and home run bats are gonna piss people off. Thats why there's an

OFF

Switch. :)

Get the heck outta my thread please if you're gonna talk smack like that. If you so much as looked at me the wrong way while playing smash after a comment like that I wouldn't hesitate to show you what's what. **** off.

Wow. Just... wow. Alright, first off.

Repeated use of a move has its own disadvantages wherein it makes you predictable. Hence you lack the ability to confuse your opponent. If you are not confusing your opponent as a means to open up a crack in their defence to attack them then your opponent knows what you are doing. If your opponent picks up on your patterns such as repeated use of a move and knows what he's doing, you will be 3 stocked.

I presume by ''spamming fox's nair'' you mean doing it over and over at least 6 or 7 times. If you mean 3-4 nairs while you're trying to escape or on your shield, then you should just shut up.

Anyhow, by the way you discuss this game you obviously don't play with anybody of significant skill, and if you did then that kind of ''omg u r spammin'' attitude would just drive them away, and lets not forget the aformentioned threat to punch every member of the competitive smash community who does not opt for items as a part of the gameplay in the face.
Dylan pwns the n00bs and the thread too hard. I wish you lived in Mississippi so I could play you. :(

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
well, isn't that just....meh...
im just curious is your name dylan tnga as in "dylan tanga"?
ahehehe, tagalugin kita jan eh (forgive me for not typing in english...)
Nah, TNGA as in

''TONGAA!''

The last thing you'll hear before you die because it's what ninjas yell. You'll notice the theme of ''tongaa'' taking place in my character selection as I mainly use shiek.

I've posted as ''tongaa'' on another message board aswell, its just kind of been a name ive liked for awhile online so I made it 4 letters TNGA for a melee tag and kept it for this site.

Dont think I ever mentioned this before but the opportunity never arose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom