• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who else is nervous about Brawl potentially sucking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TC81190

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone, I just signed up today but I've been reading these boards for awhile, watched most of the combo videos and have been smashing for a fair few years. (just in case you're wondering who the random new poster is) Don't worry though I'm not just some gay nub, I've smashed with a few of the best players on these forums :)

So, down to the topic at hand. As Brawl's release date steadily approaches, I begin to grow more and more anxious.

Let me start by saying that I think Super Smash Brothers Melee, is PERFECT. It is an amazing game that I can play for 10 hours a day 1-3 times a week and never get bored of.

With that said these are my hopes for SSBB :

Same game speed. Same techs (maybe a few ones, but for the love of god dont remove what we had in melee)

Change The character movesets and weights and tractions(just like classic smash ----> melee)

In the basics, thats what i want. I dont give a **** about items, or stages. Im sure theyll do a great job on the stages and I cant even remember what the items in smash ARE anymore its been that long.

And of course the question on everyones mind : Will wavedashing be in Brawl?

I personally will boycott Brawl if it does anything to **** with an already perfect game. Note that I have no problem with new implications, moves, and the like. But removing things like airdodging and by association, wavedashing would cause me to break my copy in half and burn it.

So that's why im nervous. Im gonna be sweating bullets when Brawl comes out... I trust Nintendo, but remember that sales and $$$ profit are their motivation, not the smash community.

A final point I wish to raise is that SSBM Managed to be fun for pathetic noobs that play with items and the like, and totally and completly strategic and technical for those of us that play smash the way it should be played. It was a great balance, on one hand you could have fun playing the game with your friends without being serious, on the other hand you could be like me and train at the game 10+ hours a week with your friends and have a killer time doing so.

What I'm worried about is that Brawl might focus a bit too much on ''fun for noobs'' (Which, really is what sells copies of the game) and not enough on making its highest potential something far beyond the capacity of your average smasher.

I've seen a lot of stupidity posted on these boards about some sort of bizarre idea that Brawl will cause people to stop playing Melee. To those who sport that opinion I say : Melee will never die. Even if Brawl is amazing, NOTHING could ever replace Melee, and I'm 100% sure gatherings / tournaments will still be held for years to come for such a great game.

-Tnga
You are an enormous ****ing idiot. Good day.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
You are an enormous ****ing idiot. Good day.
Brilliant response. Reported ;)

Man that last page was intense, all of the lets bash tnga fanclub jumping all over every post I made, luckily I know competent around here like Redexodus, Shai Halud, Ikural, Mario man, etc don't share the same stagnant view of this game. You don't take the game very seriously, but you take the forums VERY seriously, you sign up on these forums and look for a post that says ''Playing with items is nooby and bad'' or ''Brawl will probably suck without wavedashing''

and you guys (not all of you, but a fair share) Jump ALL over it, vulgarity, anger, telling me to calm down, just because I don't agree with you. Unlike you item using scrubs out there I don't freak out at opposing views, infact you wanna play with items go ahead boys, but once it comes down to tournament time there will be no homerun bat to save your ***, or do your edgeguarding for you as you hurl it at your opponent.

Often a response I get from this ^^ logic is '' Well, not all of us play tournaments, some of us just for fun'' First off tournaments are the most fun you can have smashing, so much competition, so many tvs, so many people to play and get tips from, a chance to compete... don't see how screwing around on hyrule temple with items for ''fun'' could be any better than a good tourney.

Also if you don't play competitive smash, why are you even arguing with me? It's **** redundant if you ask me. You play your way, I play mine. My way happenes to be the approved tournament style way that smash players share across the globe, so if you ever were to face me youd do it by my rules, and I would most likely beat you.

Thats the thing, two different schools of thought, but the only one that really matters to anyone but you+your friends is tournament style, ok? Tourneys show us who are the best players, who arent, and who cant compete at all, they also let us all improve as a whole, so no matter how you play smash, theres no point getting worked up over the rules I follow or the opinions I have, they seemed to be shared by MANY, MANY, MANY smashers out there.

Finally : I didn't make the tournament rules, so theres another reason you should stop freaking the **** out at me whenever I mention that items are for noobs (and they are)

And, just to let you know, the internet is a thing very much to be taken seriously. XD Doesn't mean I'm stressed, it just means I give the internet the importance its capabilities have earned.

GG
But see ''giving the internet the importance its capabilities have earned'' implies that you respect the internet, as do I for its many uses. But I don't think you understood what I meant by ''take the internet seriously'' I mean taking the meaningless conversations you have on this forum, or any other forum and letting it affect you as if it happened in your real life. That's what I meant by taking the internet seriously, not so much the internet itself by the interaction with other humans that occurs on it.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
The thing is, Dylan, the people who you talk to on this forum are just that: people. It doesn't matter if they're right next to you or halfway across the globe, they're people all the same. Just like you. If you don't respect their opinions or take them seriously, don't expect them to do the same for you.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
The thing is, Dylan, the people who you talk to on this forum are just that: people. It doesn't matter if they're right next to you or halfway across the globe, they're people all the same. Just like you. If you don't respect their opinions or take them seriously, don't expect them to do the same for you.
I don't care if they respect me or take me seriously, I am rather annoyed that Ive got some sort of team of newbies waiting for me to say something so they can call me ignorant, a jerk, tell me to calm down, all that crap ive been getting for the past week.

Their opinions dont matter, their opinions are probably wrong. They probably would get 4 stocked by me, or anyone else that knows how to play ssbm, why on earth am I going to take their ignorance seriously?

So, I'm not going to take these pro item, anti wavedashing opinions seriously because they're really really dumb, and could not be coming from the brain of an ACTUAL melee player, not some scrub. But at the same time (despite a few posts Ive made) I'm really not going to freak out at you guys, I fully understand you have your own way of playing this epic fun game.

Things is Tournament rules >>>>>>>>>>> Your rules. And if you don't play by the tournament rules, chances are in a real tournament setting, or hell even in a non tournament setting a tournament player would wipe the floor with you, unless of course you played with the wrong settings, but somehow also knew how to Shffl, mindgame, and all that mumbo jumbo.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
I Just hope theres only like 3 tiers. I really want there to be like an even playing feild. And i want it to be even more technical. Oh and I would love if they made some kind of counter to the grab. I would like some type of grapple system. Other than that i dont see the new smash suckin.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I Just hope theres only like 3 tiers. I really want there to be like an even playing feild. And i want it to be even more technical. Oh and I would love if they made some kind of counter to the grab. I would like some type of grapple system. Other than that i dont see the new smash suckin.
More technical would be nice, and yeah im sure they can go even further with grabs, diagonal throws anyone? (been thinking about it hehe)

As for the tier list though thats just something no one will really know for certain until the game has been around at least a few months or a year or more. I doubt that its gonna be any different from SSB or SSBM, some characters will be better than others, other characters will be like Pichu and Mewtwo in ssbm.

Davewashing

Smash Rookie
Dylan, it is not your argument that some people here have a problem with, but it is the way you present your argument.
While it was wrong of certain people here to respond to your opinions aggressively, you must also take care to present your opinion in a way that will not provoke people to respond in a harsh way.
Calling people who do not play Smash Bros in the tournament style "item-using scrubs" is as unfair as calling people who do play tournament style "idiots". Trading insults will only derail the discussion into a flame war. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and playing style! This forum is so that we can share our views, not place our own view above the views of others.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Dylan, it is not your argument that some people here have a problem with, but it is the way you present your argument.
While it was wrong of certain people here to respond to your opinions aggressively, you must also take care to present your opinion in a way that will not provoke people to respond in a harsh way.
Calling people who do not play Smash Bros in the tournament style "item-using scrubs" is as unfair as calling people who do play tournament style "idiots". Trading insults will only derail the discussion into a flame war. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and playing style! This forum is so that we can share our views, not place our own view above the views of others.
Well this is a competitive Smash forum, so anyone arguing for items, FFAs, etc., is kind of on enemy turf and shouldn't expect love and understanding.

Davewashing

Smash Rookie
Well this is a competitive Smash forum, so anyone arguing for items, FFAs, etc., is kind of on enemy turf and shouldn't expect love and understanding.
Well, maybe not LOVE (can love bloom on the battlefield?), but it's important in a discussion that you try to understand the other person's stance on the topic, in order to maintain a heathy debate.
Even if this community is largely composed of players who play in tournament style, it is not necessarily locking out those who play in a more casual style.
While it is true that a "casual" player should not expect a tournament player to fully embrace their ideas (and vice-versa), they should at least respect each other's opinions and stance on the subject.
No opinion is better than another. They're simply opinions :psycho:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Well, maybe not LOVE (can love bloom on the battlefield?), but it's important in a discussion that you try to understand the other person's stance on the topic, in order to maintain a heathy debate.
Even if this community is largely composed of players who play in tournament style, it is not necessarily locking out those who play in a more casual style.
While it is true that a "casual" player should not expect a tournament player to fully embrace their ideas (and vice-versa), they should at least respect each other's opinions and stance on the subject.
No opinion is better than another. They're simply opinions :psycho:
Look, you seem like a very nice guy, but you also seem like you might be Swedish, because thats the most neutral attidude I've ever heard of, seriously you make Sensai look like a passionate right winger :laugh:

No opinion is better than another. They're simply opinion
Ok, well the way I see it, a Tournament player who is proficient in melee can beat pretty much any ''casual'' player, and although ''casual'' players have a lot of facinating insights into the usefulness of the Parasol item, or whatever, they end up knowing jack **** about the game.

Suprisingly enough, the people who play ''casually'' are also the ones who whine the MOST when playing, because of their scrub mindset where such a thing as a cheap move exists.

These casual players will whine for weeks that you edgehogged them, Johning in every and any possible way when they lose, you grab to much, you smash too much, you use the c-stick, you don't have ''honor'' the list goes on.

These casual players also seem to for some reason have difficulty with the advanced techniques of this game (which arent that hard, really) So they shun wavedashing as a glitch, and SHFFLING as unecssary and flashy, or the funniest one I heard ''L canceling is just a way to show off by saying oh look at me I hit L before I hit the ground im so uber'' :laugh:

All in all, you're right about respecting peoples opinions, so when someone says I would like to see ''blah blah blah'' in brawl, do you see me , or anyone telling them off? No, you see people who think its a bad idea and explain why, but since brawl has not yet been released, hell yeah its all theorycrafting and opinions and no one can claim to know more than anyone else.

However, when we get back to melee, melee has been out for a LONG time, it has a very very very developed metagame and a tierlist that has been revised quite a few times. People KNOW how to play this game, theres no theorycrafting (aside from small tweaks) theres no ''opinions''

You don't have opinions on gameplay, either what you're talking about is right, or it is wrong. I used to be of the opinion that shiek could chainthrow marth because my marth playing friend had bad DI. I was completly wrong, and Shai Halud called me out for it, and I ****well deserved it. I'm glad to have found out Im wrong, what would I prefer Shai ''respected me'' and gave me some watered down politically correct post that explained nothing to me, forget that.

When it comes down to HOW the game is played, or the rules, there are no opinions, once again there are two ways.

1. The right way.
2. Any other way you come up with outside of a tournament with whoever you might be smashing with.

A lot of times 2. isnt that bad , maybe they remove the time limit, play on banned stages, or simply make it a 5-6 stock match. And then we get to the glorious topic which has gotten me some nasty nasty responses : ITEMS.

Items. Suck. DO NOT PLAY WITH THEM IF YOU WANT TO IMPROVE.

I'm not even going to explain that topic anymore, the average competitive smasher can grasp the concept behind not having items in competitive smash.

So in conclusion : Feel free to play smash however you god**** please, but if you want to prove yourself, you're going to have to stop playing with items, and start taking the game seriously.

If you do not want to do that, then dont take your frustrations out on me or anyone else here who smashes properly just because you think Wavedashing is a glitch, items improve gameplay, or ANY OTHER SCRUB BULLCRAP.

Thank you. And thanks for the backup guys ^^

Edit : God I love this thread! 10 000 ****ing views! I wonder if my humble question ''Will brawl suck?'' will eventually bring in more views than the trailer thread itself. We're 1/3 of the way there already *evilgrin*

mario-man

Smash Lord
I totally agree with the above post by Dylan!!!!!!

(except the cussing. Yet again.)

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Haha yeah im trying to cut that down. I don't really view d-amn, a-ss, and sh-it as cuss words really though :p lame censorsaurus-rex.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I hate scrubs, there are a helluva lot here. They are too afraid to 1 vs 1, too afraid to split the fights in FFA into 2 1 vs 1s and too afraid to take items off.

I picked Link the other day and lost by 1 stock because 2 scrubs stood around to watch my fight. Then the guy that won was like "oh yeah, I'm great". The funny thing is, I don't play Link, unless it's for 1P or for fun, I don't even look at him as an option. Oh yeah, I beat a guy with Link who mains Link, how sad is that?

Of course, I wiped the floor with them as my mediocre [in my eyes, they think I rock with Samus, my Fox and Marth are better] Samus, I basically attack all 3 of them at once with my different ranged and well placed arials [I can't remember out to spell that word].

I need to get outta here.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Well, you're TECHNICALLY right Dylan. The first word you mentioned is actually a curse which is very serious stuff if you actually believe what you are saying(But why even pretend to curse someone??). The second word you mentioned is only considered bad because it SUPPOSEDLY sounds bad, so we think it is because we have been told that it is bad. It actually does refer to a donkey. Hah get this, the people that started saying that it was bad were so called "Christians".(I'm not slamming Christians trust me I am a REAL one.) And here's the good part, Jesus actually used the word himself. The same goes for the third word, but Jesus didn't use that one.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Man, I wish the send form would have worked in Opera, but it does not seem to load, oh well, I'll have to do this from IE. Also, I was gone for a week because my monitor blew up...

Well, I don't mean to jump up at your post, just stating the source of the "violence".

Dylan_Tnga said:
When it comes down to HOW the game is played, or the rules, there are no opinions, once again there are two ways.

1. The right way.
Well, there is no right way, these are mostly opinions, but when it comes to showing true skill, I believe tournament style is the best one.

Also, I believe items are controversial. I never liked items, not even in my beginner days. Even when I was a little kid, I turned them off in SSBB [I think I was 8]. I like relying more on movesets than items. I still played with items in the beginning of Melee, but I got bored quickly.

Oh, and about this playing for fun argument, if tournaments were not fun, no one would play them. Playing a tournament is another way to have fun. Just as there are choatic item fests, there are also controlled, competitive matches. They are both fun, just for different audiences. So Dylan_Tnga, you are wrong when you say that you don't play for fun [lol]. Tournaments can be very fun.

And about friendcodes, I don't mind at all. I never memorize them at all, I just write them down.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
So Dylan_Tnga, you are wrong when you say that you don't play for fun [lol]. Tournaments can be very fun.

Me. Read the thread please said:
First off tournaments are the most fun you can have smashing, so much competition, so many tvs, so many people to play and get tips from, a chance to compete... don't see how screwing around on hyrule temple with items for ''fun'' could be any better than a good tourney.
:) I agree, tourneys are hella fun

Yota

Smash Apprentice
I don't know WHY I returned to this thread. I thought we were through with it.

1. The right way.
2. Any other way you come up with outside of a tournament with whoever you might be smashing with.

A lot of times 2. isnt that bad , maybe they remove the time limit, play on banned stages, or simply make it a 5-6 stock match.
5-6 stock? Oh heaven forbid. :ohwell:

Honestly however, you're comparing apples and oranges here. Simply...
Tournament Rules = Fair Play
No/Limited Rules = Fun Play

Tournaments don't choose those rules because they r0x our s0x. They choose them so the outcome is fair and without complaints about losing do to a random occurrence. No items, to prevent the randomly explosive and camera-shifting containers from appearing. No Hyrule, to minimize stalling. No Icicle Mountain, ... must I explain why?

If you're serious about entering tournaments with the sole goal of winning, then yes, it would be stupid to play with rules that the tournament doesn't give. However if you couldn't care less about tournaments, why then bother? Check all the items, crank it to Very High, play the special modes, up the damage ratio to 2.0, add in the handicaps, do whatever you want! There is no reason for it to be forbidden. If you aren't going to get your money's worth by winning tournaments, you'll get it by having fun with all the content that SSB provides that is commonly left out of tournament play. Who knows, perhaps there are some who honestly find playing with the tournament rules to be more fun. Their reasons for choosing the rule are what matters.

And then we get to the glorious topic which has gotten me some nasty nasty responses : ITEMS.

Items. Suck. DO NOT PLAY WITH THEM IF YOU WANT TO IMPROVE. THE MASTERY OF YOUR NAKED CHARACTER
There, corrected it. Playing with items doesn't prevent you from gaining skill in the game, it just lessens your focus on your character's raw abilities. By playing with items, you learn to become more flexible and adaptable to akward situations. Heck, you may possibly even learn to dodge the explosive containers. :chuckle:

In conclusion, the validity of opinions are completely relative. You may give constructive criticism, but keep in mind the background of who you're giving it to.

Night

PS: How did you get 348 posts in one month? :confused:

Sensai

Smash Master
Dylan_Tnga said:
I doubt that its gonna be any different from SSB or SSBM, some characters will be better than others, other characters will be like Pichu and Mewtwo in ssbm.
The tiers were quite different from 64 to Melee. I'm personally hoping for a completely balanced game. As if.
Dylan_Tnga said:
seriously you make Sensai look like a passionate right winger
Haha, funniest thing I think you've ever said. I'm glad to know my absence is noted and I am missed.

I'm not completely...neutral. I'm actually fairly liberal when it comes to most things, and because of that I'm not big on hurting other people's feelings. Especially on the internet, where it's just a bad idea to do all together, what with all the flaming that will surely result from it.

Wolfblade

Smash Lord
Dylan, I sometimes feel like mario man is your minion. Yay for supporters:laugh:

Items don't suck, unless you want to improve:psycho: Though you can, it won't be nearly as intense as you can without items. Yota makes a great point about becoming more flexible.

I say the occasional item match is great, cause after you gain a lot of skill without them, it's a whole new game to play when you put them back on. You'll realize that all the techniques you used while fighting without items will have to be adapted and it will help you deal with those match ups you're not used too. Specifically, they will help you think on your feet a bit more.

1v1 is how you get the most skill, but never underestimate the power of an item match once in a blue moon.

P.S. Only the first 2 sentences were directed at you Dylan, just incase yer thinking I'm ranting at you. It was an in gerneral rant.

Brawl Suckign Topic regarding speed sucking: The game will not be as slow as SSB64, we can see that simply from the trailers. It's clearly goin' to be close to melee and not that big of a difference. Although it may be noticable, it will nto be the extreme change that we saw between SSB and SSBM. Though that slight decline does worry people, it just opens whole new ways to play, and it gives you the option of 2 versions of smash bros on yer Wii, that are eaching goin to be fantastic in their own way... especially Brawl if they put Lucario in it for me, but thats just my opinion:lick:

Wow...I agree with Dylan.

Tournaments are in my opinion,way more fun than casual play,even though items are fun,there just not adequate enough to suit any kind of competition.

Besides,there is nothing worse than having 1 stock with 0% damage,then some idiot with 130% damage pulls out a Lugia,thus making you lose. >_>

Superstar

Smash Champion
Originally Posted by Superstar said:
So Dylan_Tnga, you are wrong when you say that you don't play for fun [lol]. Tournaments can be very fun.

Originally Posted by Me. Read the thread please said:
First off tournaments are the most fun you can have smashing, so much competition, so many tvs, so many people to play and get tips from, a chance to compete... don't see how screwing around on hyrule temple with items for ''fun'' could be any better than a good tourney.
I agree, tourneys are hella fun
I know, I read the whole thing :). You actually say both, saying that tournaments are very fun, but when a noob comes and says they play for fun, you switch up and say that you don't play for fun. Of course, maybe my memory of this discussion is weak, I remember you saying both, but I do not remember everything. After 50 pages of rants, its very hard to remember the whole thing, and in what order. Also, I was trying to make a joke. Maybe this smilie might have worked :psycho: .

EDIT:
Dylan_Tnga Post#613 said:
would you believe me if I told you I never played ''for fun'' as you guess have so affectionatly named it (I wouldnt play smash brothers if it wasnt extremly fun for me, jeez. but fine I play competitive, you guys play ''for fun'' just lables)
That's where I got it from. I knew when you said "play for fun", you meant in the noobs eyes, but i was just joking around.

God, I wish I could to a tournament. Eh, maybe when I'm 20 and I know how to drive. Against my brother, I only play neutral stages, I play 3-4 stock, 8min. Of course, he does not work hard to get better, so that means I will never get better. Its a cruel world out there.

Me, I really want the online to be good. I can never play against other people [only rarely against my bro], so I really need this. I hope they also have doubles, and in doubles matches, you can use the control pad [minus up] to send messages to your partner. Pre written messages, which are downloaded to your partner before a match, and referenced online as 2bit numbers [0-3 num range].

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Actually, this is a Smash forum. See that graphic up at the top of the page? You know, the one with Metaknight in it? Read what's below it. "The Largest Smash Bros. Community." Not "The Largest Competitive Smash Community." This site was originally made for people to discuss the game; this site was around before Smash tournaments were mainstream.

Sure, there is a section of this aforementioned "community" that plays Smash competitively. I've only gone to "scrub tourneys" (e.g. Gamecrazy), but I still use this forum for subtle things I can do to improve and some large things, such as SHFFLC. I usually play tournament rules when I play my friends, but sometimes we just like to bust out the old Beamswords and have a good time. Yes, that's right, games can be fun when played with friends.

Oh and to whoever said mario-main was Dylan's minion: thanks a lot for reminding me that zombie and basement dweller used to be active members of this forum.

EDIT:
Dylan_Tnga said:
And yes, if wavedashing is out of Brawl, a LOTTTTTTTTT of people will NOT play it.
Okay, let's think here. 6 million people bought Melee. Here on SWF, we have about 60,000 members. We represent 1% of all of Melee owners. And I can almost guarantee that way less than half of the forum doesn't use wavedash in their game. Of the people that do use wavedash in their game, probably less than half of them are like you and wouldn't buy the game if it didn't have wavedash. I don't see the huge sales dent that you envision.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I don't know WHY I returned to this thread. I thought we were through with it.

5-6 stock? Oh heaven forbid. :ohwell:

Honestly however, you're comparing apples and oranges here. Simply...
Tournament Rules = Fair Play
No/Limited Rules = Fun Play

Tournaments don't choose those rules because they r0x our s0x. They choose them so the outcome is fair and without complaints about losing do to a random occurrence. No items, to prevent the randomly explosive and camera-shifting containers from appearing. No Hyrule, to minimize stalling. No Icicle Mountain, ... must I explain why?

If you're serious about entering tournaments with the sole goal of winning, then yes, it would be stupid to play with rules that the tournament doesn't give. However if you couldn't care less about tournaments, why then bother? Check all the items, crank it to Very High, play the special modes, up the damage ratio to 2.0, add in the handicaps, do whatever you want! There is no reason for it to be forbidden. If you aren't going to get your money's worth by winning tournaments, you'll get it by having fun with all the content that SSB provides that is commonly left out of tournament play. Who knows, perhaps there are some who honestly find playing with the tournament rules to be more fun. Their reasons for choosing the rule are what matters.

There, corrected it. Playing with items doesn't prevent you from gaining skill in the game, it just lessens your focus on your character's raw abilities. By playing with items, you learn to become more flexible and adaptable to akward situations. Heck, you may possibly even learn to dodge the explosive containers. :chuckle:

In conclusion, the validity of opinions are completely relative. You may give constructive criticism, but keep in mind the background of who you're giving it to.

Night

PS: How did you get 348 posts in one month? :confused:

I like this post very much. Hell I suppose you can improve your playing if you play with items, but I bet if you compared the skill growth of two players, one who played Tournament style and the other who played items on, banned stages, giant melee, all that nonsense over 1-2 months you would see the tournament player progress faster.

The 5-6 stock thing was not intended to sound like I thought it was some drastic change, which is why I said the 2nd option isnt always a noob fest. Maybe its pro players just horsing around, but 5-6 stock matches are tournament rules, so they have to go under another category. Bombsoldiers new matches are like.. what 6 stocks? 5?

I got 350 odd posts since I signed up about... 4 weeks ago, it was right before a tournament and I was smash crazy... then I made this thread, and started arguing with people and yeah I just tend to post a lot on every forum I join... I have like a 32 post per day average on blizzforums and I cant remember a day in the last week or so that Ive made mor than 12 or so posts lol. :laugh:

Okay, let's think here. 6 million people bought Melee. Here on SWF, we have about 60,000 members. We represent 1% of all of Melee owners. And I can almost guarantee that way less than half of the forum doesn't use wavedash in their game. Of the people that do use wavedash in their game, probably less than half of them are like you and wouldn't buy the game if it didn't have wavedash. I don't see the huge sales dent that you envision.
Your posts encapsulates everything I am afraid of. I said a lot of people and I meant it, since 1% of the melee owners, or whatever 60 000 people.

What I mean by a lot is : Every competitive melee player (there are quite a few) And many of those people are conservative like me and would choose not to compete in brawl with the removal of the wavedash.

However you are 100% right, which is why Im afraid Nintendo will water this game down from the thick awesome gravy that melee was into some kind of watery paste that will flow through the video game consumer society and fill the cracks with a crappy sequel to a great game, that looks flashy on the outside, but has no potential to explore on the inside and is much too easy to master, or impossible to push anywhere at all.

however, I really am starting to doubt that will happen, Sakurai or however you spell it seems to have earned a lot of respect from the members of this board, and I am beginning to trust his ways the more and more I hear about him. Choosing a team to create the game that had 1000+ hours of melee on their cubes, from JAPAN seems to tell me that the design team is composed of some skilled smashers who obviously know about all the advanced techs, and probably even the glitches too.

So final thoughts on the item thing, list form ftw!

1. I really dont care if you play with items, or you dont.
2. I believe with items off you improve much faster per smashday than with them on
3. You can smash ANYWAY you want to, but if you don't smash tournament style you have abosolutly no business thinking your opinions or thoughts on the game (Items improve skill, wavedashing is a glitch, that move is cheap) have any significance over players far, far, far, far superior in skill than you.

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
Is this really a thread to discuss how Brawl could potentially be terrible? Or is it just a place for people to vent their frustration?

...On a related note, the only thing I'm worried about is whether jiggsliding will return from smash 64. ;)

Oh and Dylan, sorry for telling you to calm down. I was pretty irritated myself that day, having spent hours trying to figure out how to record videos on zSNES. :laugh: It works now though.

EDIT: Just saw your last post. I see what you're saying. But yeah, I think Sakurai's team will want to make Brawl fun for everybody, including people like you and me who can play for hours at a time, all the time.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Is this really a thread to discuss how Brawl could potentially be terrible? Or is it just a place for people to vent their frustration?

...On a related note, the only thing I'm worried about is whether jiggsliding will return from smash 64. ;)

Oh and Dylan, sorry for telling you to calm down. I was pretty irritated myself that day, having spent hours trying to figure out how to record videos on zSNES. :laugh: It works now though.

EDIT: Just saw your last post. I see what you're saying. But yeah, I think Sakurai's team will want to make Brawl fun for everybody, including people like you and me who can play for hours at a time, all the time.
Oh dont get me started on figuring on advanced ZNES stuff... grrr...

This thread is I dunno man, general topic is will brawl suck but a lot of discussion and arguing goes on, its great. If this thread was really that bad a MOD would have closed it a week ago. But look at its views, and replies, popular thread! :laugh:

What is jiggsliding?? I've never heard of it, I found jiggles drill to rest kind of busted in N64, like a lot of their broken moves..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=H5BaT8C6VAM

like that ^^ :lick:

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
Oh dont get me started on figuring on advanced ZNES stuff... grrr...

This thread is I dunno man, general topic is will brawl suck but a lot of discussion and arguing goes on, its great. If this thread was really that bad a MOD would have closed it a week ago. But look at its views, and replies, popular thread! :laugh:

What is jiggsliding?? I've never heard of it, I found jiggles drill to rest kind of busted in N64, like a lot of their broken moves..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=H5BaT8C6VAM

like that ^^ :lick:
Haha wow, I've never seen that one before. Nice find.

Two other things:

Jiggsliding is like a miniature form of Samus' super wavedash in Melee, but it works a little differently. You run in one direction with jiggs (past the point where you can dashdance), reverse direction, then jump immediately after you reverse direction. Great in specific circumstances for tech chasing and what not. If you want me to show you over Kaillera, I'd be more than willing.

Oh, and if you were wondering what I was trying to record:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAVudLCekNA

Of course, you would have to have played Super Mario World to understand it.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Wow excellent video my friend I really like the new level design. Yeah of course I played Super mario World, haha got it to like 98% by the time I was about 6 years old, played it when I was about 4. Beat it countless times... I love the snes man.

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
Wow excellent video my friend I really like the new level design. Yeah of course I played Super mario World, haha got it to like 98% by the time I was about 6 years old, played it when I was about 4. Beat it countless times... I love the snes man.
Wow, same as me. I must've played it when I was like, 3. And as I'm sure you know, this was before player's guides and walkthroughs and what not were easy to find. So when my brother and I discovered the secret world for the first time, we were like:

*Look at each other*
*Look at screen*
*Stare in awe*
*Get 4-stocked by tubular*
*Get kneed in the face by outrageous*

Ah, good times.

But anyway...wait a sec. Did anyone on this thread know what jiggsliding was? *Looks around*

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I heard about Jiggsliding, I just never knew what it does, how to do it or why people use it. I didn't have a N64 either, so that didn't help matters.

dvt

Smash Cadet
if they take out wavedashing it wont be the end of the world. stop crying already. and if they do take out wavedashing, i gurantee you 95% +of people from these forums would still buy the game.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
if they take out wavedashing it wont be the end of the world. stop crying already. and if they do take out wavedashing, i gurantee you 95% +of people from these forums would still buy the game.
I bet you more than 50% of the would return it and play melee if it didnt have wavedashing, or sucked completly.

I know I would, im buying this game, but if theres no WDing... well Ill still give it a chance but likely Ill get a refund.

Wolfblade

Smash Lord
I bet you more than 50% of the would return it and play melee if it didnt have wavedashing, or sucked completly.

I know I would, im buying this game, but if theres no WDing... well Ill still give it a chance but likely Ill get a refund.
Exchange only on opened video games and/or movies skippy.:p

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Not if it's Costco, son.

And Dylan, if you do that I will be sorely disappointed in you for not looking at the bigger picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom