• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who else is nervous about Brawl potentially sucking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinkGadra

Smash Apprentice
Wavedashing isn't the Holy Grail it's made out to be. Sure it's useful, but it's not a deal-breaker by any means. Brawl will be awesome, we're just trying to ease our tension wating for it by making blunt, inaccurate statements.

JesterBox

Smash Ace
Smash will suck without wavedashing, not even worth playing at all really.
Ans were pray tell Is the idea backing this statement, I shall sourly miss WDing, should it disappear but I dont believe Its absense will make the game "suck"

Are you saying that because you can wavedash that is the only reason the game reatians any worth to you? Do you just constatly wavedash and laugh or somthing?

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Wavedashing + Mario + Upair godliness and his whole moveset and combos.. too good. Dont want that taken out. Sorry if I came off like a jerk, I really am just hoping brawl has WDing. Im getting a job after schools out to get a WII and Brawl regardless, tis a bluff I love smash too much, but If I find I still prefer melee Id probably play it more than brawl, depends.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I kinda thought that was a bluff, it sounded like what you said when you first made this thread lol. It's funny how everyone jumps on you when you post something.

Sensai

Smash Master
It's a forum. Everyone here hates everyone else just by default.

Except me. Everyone loves me and I love everyone.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
That sounds like a quote from someone from Red vs Blue lol. I only hate a few people, some for valid reasons and others for no real reason at all.

Jump20X6

Smash Apprentice
I won't be crushed if they remove wavedashing, although it does move one little element of depth from the game. And if they do remove it, they're sure to replace it with something new or by the modified rolls we've already seen with Pikachu.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Why would you care? The rolls are quicker, therefore more difficult to punish. The game is going to be aerial-based, so there's not much point in abusing the new rolls anyways. What's wrong with them? In my opinion, this new roll adds more depth to the game.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I'd call it boosting the effectivness of an overly simple, laggy obvious technique that has its uses for what it does, yet isnt spammed for a reason. If rolls were amazing everyone would roll around everywhere, just to abuse it. And Rolls are really boring, useful at times but I hate seing like anything more than 2-3 in a row. Rolling around the stage shows a lazy lack of mindgames and an inability to control the flow of the match.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
But you haven't tried out these new rolls, have you? you have no way of knowing that they will have the same effect as rolls did in Melee. If rolls were amazing, everyone would roll everywhere just to abuse it? Faulty logic. The shine is amazing. Not everyone who uses Fox abuses it. These new rolls may give new weapons to characters that tend to have defensive playing styles, while characters like Sheik, Fox and Falco would rarely use it since they are largely offensive characters. Do you see what I'm saying?

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
But you haven't tried out these new rolls, have you? you have no way of knowing that they will have the same effect as rolls did in Melee. If rolls were amazing, everyone would roll everywhere just to abuse it? Faulty logic. The shine is amazing. Not everyone who uses Fox abuses it. These new rolls may give new weapons to characters that tend to have defensive playing styles, while characters like Sheik, Fox and Falco would rarely use it since they are largely offensive characters. Do you see what I'm saying?
Shiek can be played like a defensive character though, it depends on the matchup. Vs captain falcon I play very defensivly until I see a grab, or oportunity to tilt combo, I play in bursts, but never just throwing myself at the guy like a skilled fox or falco.

Anyway rolls differ from character to character aswell, shiek already benefits from a good roll in melee, a few other do to, but I like how in melee if you roll more than a few times in a row you will get tech chased very hard.

Sensai

Smash Master
I play Ganon. Rolling is more important for me then WDing.

And I think the fear behind this rolling thing is that random people (button mashers, 'n00bs', 'scrubs', etc) will be able to pick up the game, walk into a tourney, and abuse the roll and win it.

I don't really submit to this school of thought, but I see how one can go there.

DeeDoubleU

Smash Journeyman
You all worry too much over pointless crap.

No one whines how much different Mario 64 is from Super Mario Brothers do they? What I see here is complaining over things much more like the changes between Super Street Fighter II and Super Street Fighter II Slightly More Speed Choices Edition.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Why do many of you guys think that if the game doesnt have everything Melee has, it cant be as competitive? Brawl's engine might be tweaked so that something like a wavedash as we know it in Melee would be pointless, something might be discovered that could make some old fashioned techs obsolete...

What if the game didnt have wavedashing but was even more competitive than Melee. Would you still complain?

FreakoFreako

Smash Apprentice
People are paranoid about change. There's the saying, "If it works, don't fix it." I personally think that the changes are going to be great. I don't foresee Brawl failing.

I hope they focus on Balance and Online Play. I think Brawl will be even more competitive than Melee.

Chepe

Smash Lord
The problem with that saying is that if Nintendo followed it, we would still be playing 8-bit games... -_-

Nintendo had to "fix it" when Sega arrived or else Nintendo wouldnt have survived, and by extension, we wouldnt be playing this game. People need to stop having this mindset, as it does nothing for progression...

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Obviously you've never heard of change for the worst. If they change core elements of the game it's going to suck, because what they worked so hard to build up from SSB64, would be lost to the large transition.

It wouldn't make sense for the to change for the sake of changing, it's possibly the dumbest thing anyone could do.

Either change for the better of the goal, or don't change at all.

Classic-Black

Smash Journeyman
Obviously you've never heard of change for the worst. If they change core elements of the game it's going to suck, because what they worked so hard to build up from SSB64, would be lost to the large transition.

It wouldn't make sense for the to change for the sake of changing, it's possibly the dumbest thing anyone could do.

Either change for the better of the goal, or don't change at all.
But the series isn't changing for the sake of it, so more than likely the change will be good.

Either way, it's way to early to praise/condemn the changes, when we don't fully know what they are. Smash64 was an attempt at something different, which Melee expanded upon(and sped up). Brawl will continue to expand upon the existing formula, as well as attempt a few new things at the same time to keep it fresh.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
Slowing down the gameplay (like they said they would) is definitely the best thing they can do to introduce new players. I can pwn most of my friends with almost anyone from the original Smash because it's slower and easier to play. In Melee, you had to get used to it even if you played SSB64. Returning to a slower speed improves the fun in my opinion.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Slowing down the gameplay (like they said they would) is definitely the best thing they can do to introduce new players. I can pwn most of my friends with almost anyone from the original Smash because it's slower and easier to play. In Melee, you had to get used to it even if you played SSB64. Returning to a slower speed improves the fun in my opinion.
awww, the newbie likes slower speed because he gets his *** handed to him in a real mans game. Lets make the sequel just for him so he can ''pwn'' us. Yeah, everyone whos a noob at melee now is going to be among the leaders in the brawl standings :psycho:

Forget that, I want to see changes made, but I don't think these changes should extend to removing tried tested and true elements at the core of competitive smash, one of them being the almighty wavedash that forever changed our metagame.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Suprisingly enough, even ssb64 at a competitive level is quite fast (L-cancelling = no lag at all). Good god look at any of Ness' combos at that game (he has a shield break combo IN SSB64!).

If the game sucks, which I doubt, people will just stick to melee. I don't understand people like you who are so crazed about wavedash. I do use wavedash but it's not as game breaking as shffling, chain grabbing, etc. The wavedash itself isn't important, it's the mindgames it can set up that are important. If wavedash wasn't in then I'm sure pros would have found another way to set up mindgames.

If people who are noobs now are going to be pros in brawl, then we need new pros. I doubt any video game designer intentionally makes the game so easy that it's impossible to get better at.

DT please calm down. If the game sucks, or you just don't like it then I'm sure melee will continue. Even now there is a small tournament scene for smash 64.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
ssb64 rocks, theres no denying.

Ok, I made this thread and Im making a rule : Stop. Telling me. to calm down. Thats it you can call me whatever you want but thats the 10 000th calm down ive gotten. Do you see vulgarity all over the keyboard? Im being sarcastic and condenscending, doesnt require much ''getting worked up'' over. Trust me if I took the internet seriously I would lead a very stressful life indeed.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Ok, I made this thread and Im making a rule : Stop. Telling me. to calm down.
Trust me if I took the internet seriously I would lead a very stressful life indeed.
LOL. Why are you telling others to stop trying to moderate your behavior if you don't even care?

And, just to let you know, the internet is a thing very much to be taken seriously. XD Doesn't mean I'm stressed, it just means I give the internet the importance its capabilities have earned.

GG.

DeeDoubleU

Smash Journeyman
Honestly Dylan, if your entire basis for making this topic weren't the possible dumbing down and/or exclusion of the wavedash, I might not think of you as a complete loco-maniac.

But alas, you did, and alas, I do.

Oh, and to be ever so frank, you need to work on your cynicism. Theres really no subtlety to it and there is no bite to it. Its quite lame.

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
Just because you think removing certain things and changing the dynamics is not a problem, does not mean everyone else does too.

The fear of it sucking is very low. The worst you could probably expect is that it would be just like the 64 game.

The reason I look into this game is because of online gameplay... That defeats some of my problems here.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
awww, the newbie likes slower speed because he gets his *** handed to him in a real mans game. Lets make the sequel just for him so he can ''pwn'' us. Yeah, everyone whos a noob at melee now is going to be among the leaders in the brawl standings :psycho:

Forget that, I want to see changes made, but I don't think these changes should extend to removing tried tested and true elements at the core of competitive smash, one of them being the almighty wavedash that forever changed our metagame.
Try...reading...posts...before...replying to them!
I'm good at Melee (not competitive level, but at the highest casual level), I was saying that 64 was easier to get into because it was slower not "MELEE IS TWO FAST TO PLAI!!!!!"

dark-war-cloud

Smash Journeyman
brawl will not suck... i dont think they want to dissapoint all of the smashers around the world anyways... i think one main factor about brawl is if they make the nunchuk the only usable controller for it, it will ruin the way we like to play it and its amazing style of a gameplay... and keige you arent a noob because you want the game slower, but they intended to make the game more competitive by making it faster and people enjoyed it more... so dont get your hopes up... as for dylan, they are right you need to cool down a little and not flame people like that...

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Try...reading...posts...before...replying to them!
I'm good at Melee (not competitive level, but at the highest casual level), I was saying that 64 was easier to get into because it was slower not "MELEE IS TWO FAST TO PLAI!!!!!"
He did read it, here's what you said:

Then Dylan said:

And Dylan is right, your friend sucks at this game so it has to be dumbed down for him so he can beat you? Did you ever stop to think that your friend might just suck at SSB altogether? Why not train him to become better?

He's not going to get anywhere in any game if he gets the game dumbed down for him.

brawl will not suck... i dont think they want to dissapoint all of the smashers around the world anyways... i think one main factor about brawl is if they make the nunchuk the only usable controller for it, it will ruin the way we like to play it and its amazing style of a gameplay... and keige you arent a noob because you want the game slower, but they intended to make the game more competitive by making it faster and people enjoyed it more... so dont get your hopes up... as for dylan, they are right you need to cool down a little and not flame people like that...
I wouldn't hold my breath, Brawl can still suck, it's not impossible. I can picture myself sticking with Melee because I hate backwards progession [I think there's a better word for this... meh...].

They moved up from slow SSB to moderately paced SSBM, which worked. I won't mind if it's closer to SSBM's speed then SSB's but if it becomes too slow the game will end up like SC2 or Tekken [both great games] except with items. They are fun for a few months, maybe a year, but they can't endure 5+ years like Melee has.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
For those worried about a control setup ruining Brawl, here's a post I made in a different thread:

As far as I'm concerned, the Wii Remote+ Nunchuk would work fine:

NUNCHUCK
Anolog: Move and Jump
Z Button: Attack (A Button on GC)
C Button: Attack (B Button on GC)

WII REMOTE
D-Pad Smash Attack (Like the C-Stick on GC)
A Button: Jump
B Button (Trigger): Air Dodge/Sheild
+ (Plus) Button: Pause
- Button: Options or nothing
1 Button: Possibly enter crawling form from a crouch. Otherwise its nothing.
2 Button: Super Smash Attack. (1 Button and 2 Button controls are interchangeable)

BUTTON COMBINATIONS
B+C: Grab/Pick up Item/Catch Item/Throw Item

As far as I'm concerned, this control setup would work perfectly. There would be no motion control, so that you don't have to be "waving your arms all over the place."
Wavedashing would be a fluid, almost better motion than melee. (A+B+Control Stick)
SHFFLing would be cake, quickly tap the A button for a SH, fastfall, L-Cancel with B.

If anybody sees any problems with this setup let me know, but it looks good to me.

That being said, I would still prefer to use a GC controller just because it is more familiar to me. I beleive that Nintendo will release Brawl with Wiimote Nunchuck controls, but people with GC or Classic controllers can use that too.

This way, Nintendo doesn't have to worry about producing GC Controllers for the next 6 years, and they also don't have to release the game with its own controller.

Problem Solved.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The buttons are a far stretch, which would lead to a lower ability to react in fights. Classic control or GC control would be better suited.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Far stretch? I made all button combinations as close as possible. The only "far-stretches" are the 1 and 2 buttons, but unless you plan on playing with items that shouldn't be a problem, because crawling can be done as down on the control stick and than moving with D-Pad, or just tilting the control stick between the SW and SE directions.

Please elaborate.

Jump20X6

Smash Apprentice
ssb64 rocks, theres no denying.

Ok, I made this thread and Im making a rule : Stop. Telling me. to calm down. Thats it you can call me whatever you want but thats the 10 000th calm down ive gotten. Do you see vulgarity all over the keyboard? Im being sarcastic and condenscending, doesnt require much ''getting worked up'' over. Trust me if I took the internet seriously I would lead a very stressful life indeed.
Dude, calm down.

:psycho:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom