• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who else is nervous about Brawl potentially sucking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

El HP

Smash Ace
Coming from the guy that couldn't even do this ^^
OMG im a genius I can do this.

Ah yes, but once again it all comes down to the players skill. If you and your friend are equal in skill, he knows how to play fox relevant to the potential he has as a smasher at the time, and you know how to play pikachu (as you are pretty good with him) Your fox friend will likely win. However, if you were to surpass him in skill, your pikachu would reflect your power and defeat a fox who was slower to react / predict DI and all that pro nonsesne that isn't really character specifc that affects your game.

When you get to a point where you are among the top best players in a tournament, chances are the top tier characters will be picked, but you never really know. A good ice climbers, a 1337 donkey kong, an unbelievable UAIR miracle mario.. anything controlled in skilled hands could be falco/fox/marth/shiek's demise..
Try beating Sheik as Bowser come on give it a try, smash is a matter of skill but in some cases you are so handicapped that makes the fight so hard to win even against a player with a lower level than yours.

So really it's all relevant, find a character that you are comfortable with, and realize that smash brothers goes far beyond which character you pick.
Yeah I pick the characters I like hopefully brawl will balance things more so I wont have to fight the same everyday characters.

LinkGadra

Smash Apprentice
Why would they use HP? Percentage is part of Smash's distinct style, it's the whole point of the games (knock your opponents over the edge). They'll probably have a special brawl Stamina Mode like in Melee, but there's no reason for them to change the main game.

Smasherkik7

Smash Rookie
Why would they use HP? Percentage is part of Smash's distinct style, it's the whole point of the games (knock your opponents over the edge). They'll probably have a special brawl Stamina Mode like in Melee, but there's no reason for them to change the main game.
I just heard someone who said that. Maybe it was a very false rumor :ohwell:

smasherboy13

Smash Cadet
I'm worried about that super attack thing (you know, the icon that makes Link do that cool Triforce attack thing). I think if you got it, you'd be too powerful, and any match could become one-sided at any time. Also, I'm worried about Nintendo's Wii philosophy- playable by everyone. If they get rid of all the advanced moves, the whole world shall explode in a fiery storm of hatred and torment. =)

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
I'm worried about that super attack thing (you know, the icon that makes Link do that cool Triforce attack thing). I think if you got it, you'd be too powerful, and any match could become one-sided at any time. Also, I'm worried about Nintendo's Wii philosophy- playable by everyone. If they get rid of all the advanced moves, the whole world shall explode in a fiery storm of hatred and torment. =)
The Super Smash attacks are allegedly item-based, which means you can turn them off once you unlock item switch. Also, keep in mind that Brawl isn't completely following Wii's simplicity philosophy- I mean, we're prolly going to be using GC controllers for at least 99% of the time, if not the classic controller. Besides, Melee is arguably very accessible to "casual" gamers itself. As long as the "Easy to learn, hard to master" philosophy is kept, I'm not worried.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvfu0xKsnPk

Made three years ago, this video reminds me that there was a time before wavedashing and tier lists dominated the message boards. There was a time when we all played just for fun.
Quote: Original Said by SuperDoodleMan

Yeah remember this guys?
:(

Somebody hold me. I miss those times.

The first rule in video games is: Chaos > Order

Have we forgotten that rule?

i_eat_fried_worms

Smash Cadet
You are my ****ing hero dude!
I just posted something like that on the thread i started (Brawl Power Moves)

It is sad to say though... you are probobly right.
Wavedashing was an accident and will probobly be removed like a glitch...
The only thing t could be better than melee is melee with online capabilities

from the trailers it shows these huge power moves...they BETTER be items
Ive already ranted about them once in my thread so i wont repeat myself
but Melee IS perfect
it better stay the same
dang it people! wavedashing is NOT a glitch, it is created by the fact that you can airdodge, and that characters slide.e.g. luigi has little traction, so he has the longest wavedash.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
They are probably only a once per match thing. And at most are 3 kills (Mario's attack which can hit multiple people but can be dodged) or one instant KO (Kirby, Link). But you could just tell your friends to ignore it if there no way to disable it.

yung19

Smash Rookie
marios punch usuallys sends them down but in the trailor it sent pikachu out.... maybe the changed some of the orginal characters moves?

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
marios punch usuallys sends them down but in the trailor it sent pikachu out.... maybe the changed some of the orginal characters moves?
That would be a given. One of the things I welcome in brawl is a change in move-sets so none of us can just pick up a character we used to play in melee and **** everyone. As for the techs.. I really dont want to see the ones we had in melee go.. Id like walljumping to be improved on, add some attacks out of that... maybe a few new ways to ground tech like a tech recovery attack.. but I dont want to see spotdodge, airdodge, wavedash, and the like go down the tubes :dizzy:

Sensai

Smash Master
Dylan, you cry for no chance concerning some things, but yet demand change for others. I can't keep up. :-D

GreenKirby: No, we have not forgotten. In fact, I just played a 1v1v1 with 2 friends on FD on Super Sudden Death. It was excellent.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
GreenKirby: No, we have not forgotten. In fact, I just played a 1v1v1 with 2 friends on FD on Super Sudden Death. It was excellent.
If Super Sudden Death comes back as a Special Brawl mode, they should include an option to fight with the...uh...wrapping up mechanism that comes on after thirty seconds in normal Sudden Death on.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
You haven't played many video games then. And even so, what's wrong with having fun while playing video GAMES? o.o
Some people (myself included) enjoy playing games on a refined, orderly level more then chaotic smash-bros style FFAs with random items everywere. That's not to say I don't enjoy playing item FFAs, Super Sudden Death or Giant Melee every once in a while, but I enjoy tourny style 1v1/2v2s with friendly fire, no items and banned stages much more. You say "What's wrong with having fun" as if playing tourny-style smash isn't fun. I don't think that's what you meant to say, but it was implied.

On the other hand, Dylan_Tnga is wrong in saying that "order = True gaming". Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In case you've forgotten, Dylan, compeditive level smash players are a minority among the smash community, and I don't think you're in much of a position to be saying that the 75% of the smash community who don't play compeditively are playing the game wrong.

They play the way they enjoy the game. After all, isn't that what the game is for?

I apologize for this beeing off-topic by the way. I think I've already given my opinion on one of the earlier pages in this thread though.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Don't get me wrong, I like the tourny style play as well. But both get stale if you ONLY play as one way or the other.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I doubt it would get boring, no 2 people play the same so it's a different fight everytime.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
On the other hand, Dylan_Tnga is wrong in saying that "order = True gaming". Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In case you've forgotten, Dylan, compeditive level smash players are a minority among the smash community, and I don't think you're in much of a position to be saying that the 75% of the smash community who don't play compeditively are playing the game wrong.
More like 99.4% who don't play competitively.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Some people (myself included) enjoy playing games on a refined, orderly level more then chaotic smash-bros style FFAs with random items everywere. That's not to say I don't enjoy playing item FFAs, Super Sudden Death or Giant Melee every once in a while, but I enjoy tourny style 1v1/2v2s with friendly fire, no items and banned stages much more. You say "What's wrong with having fun" as if playing tourny-style smash isn't fun. I don't think that's what you meant to say, but it was implied.

They play the way they enjoy the game. After all, isn't that what the game is for?

I apologize for this beeing off-topic by the way. I think I've already given my opinion on one of the earlier pages in this thread though.
No point writin a huge paragraph, scrubs are boring, I find. 1v1, 2v2, ffas, its all good for me in friendlies, just no items and without the imba stages that are teh ban.

Not gonna condemn you for the way you play but I think tourney style is the best because it adds so much competition to this game, which I crave :laugh:

Zephyr

Smash Lord
No point writin a huge paragraph, scrubs are boring, I find. 1v1, 2v2, ffas, its all good for me in friendlies, just no items and without the imba stages that are teh ban.

Not gonna condemn you for the way you play but I think tourney style is the best because it adds so much competition to this game, which I crave :laugh:
That wasn't a huge paragraph.

He's not a scrub, he's a tourney-goer.

He also plays for fun.

What's wrong with that? I love tournies. I love having fun with the game. I manage to do both at the same time. Why can't you? Do you want to have fun?

Keige

Smash Journeyman
I usually don't play with items, but I love FFAs. It gives everyone a chance, because remember the first rule of Super Smash Bros: You are always 100 times better than your friends. Which team I'm on almost always wins.

noe3

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noe_03
3DS FC
3368-2779-4997
Meh, I hope they do change a lot of things, I mean if they kept it almost exactly like melee with a new cover (new chars, stuff like that) then I probably wouldn't buy it... If I wanted to play a game like melee, I'd play melee, kind of like Madden and Tony Hawk games, but I'm sure Nintendo will shake things up and everything will end up fine even if it's not well recieved at first.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
He has fun with the game, just not the same way as you do. I'm sure I'd love tournies, I love challenges and I love fighting new people. Fighting my friends is fun but there's nothing like fighting someone you know nothing about, especially if they are better than you.

I must say I haven't had that feeling for a while, I've found good players, but no one that dominates me in Smash.

Jump20X6

Smash Apprentice
I have no desire whatsoever to read 45 pages of this thread. That's just too much for one man to take. So, I'm not sure if this has been said or not, but in the second Brawl trailer we see Metaknight do a wavedash. I'm sure the developers put that in there specifically to relieve fears that it would be removed.

As for this FFA debate that's apparently going on, maybe. I love FFAs, and I believe that they are tournament viable. I can't check this to be certain, but I believe I ran the ONLY successful FFA tournament ever at an event I did a year or two back called "No Purchase Necessary." Round Robin Elimination every round and then the final four people duke it out for a ten minute match at the end. It was a blast, and I hope to do more in the future with Brawl.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I have no desire whatsoever to read 45 pages of this thread. That's just too much for one man to take. So, I'm not sure if this has been said or not, but in the second Brawl trailer we see Metaknight do a wavedash. I'm sure the developers put that in there specifically to relieve fears that it would be removed.
Oh, really? I didn't realize that.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Easy FFA win w/ time and points:

Pick Fox and spam lasers at people falling off the stage.
Viola! you steal their kills!

FreakoFreako

Smash Apprentice
FFA's are awesome but it can cause a lot of whining. "You guys double teamed me. That was BS!"

I like both play for fun matches and LOL SRS MATCHZ. I never entered a SSB tourney though. >_> Maybe when Brawl comes out.. I was gonna buy SSB64. Then like... Before I put my order on E-Bay, I found out my parents threw away my N64. XD

Jump20X6

Smash Apprentice
The Metaknight wavedash is in the second trailer. It happens at time index 0:58. When Kirby attacks Metaknight, he washdashes backwards and slashed Kirby away from behind.

Actually, I'm now watching the clip again and again and trying to freeze it at the exact point. Maybe it isn't a wavedash. But it certainly doesn't look like a role. And it's too low to be a short hop. Hmmmm. Can someone else watch this and try to verify what it is?

EDIT: If you go to time index 1:14, you see Pit do something very similar to Metaknight. I still can't tell what it could be though. Maybe there is some new trick?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I think that was just a fancy roll. Remember, Zelda's and Mewtwo's rolling animations aren't rolling.

Onifrio

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai's the director. His team knows the mechanics of SSB like the backs of their hands. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Right on the money. If you go to www.smashbros.com and read sakurai's story on how the project came to be. His development team whom he calls "The Studio" has played SSBM more than most of the people on this board. SSBB should be great because now its for the fans by the fans.

I think you need to be careful with your wording. With the way your saying things your coming off as an eliteist.

Tourney Go-Ers dont buy the game and say "hey you know what im going to go to a tournament" Someone pulls them into the community or they fall into it at some point. Playing the game in massive FFAs with items is how almost everyone started out. Tournament go-ers just took a fun game and found its competative side. Not to say tournament play isn't great. Ive been to tons of tournaments and perfer it to FFAs but FFAs are the stepping stone.

Also Wavedashing did not make melee the competative powerhouse it is today. Although it's a neat little trick if wavedashing is removed then there was a change in physics somewhere so im sure we will find new aspects to exploit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom